[INSTALL GUIDE] iPC 10.5.6 on Dell Latitude D600

soren121

71 posts in this topic

Hi, I tryed the Guide and it work's perfect on my D600,

Wifi only with Broadcom (Apple remember it),

Ethernet works and Touchpad works,

only when I try to start with Battery, I got a "Voodoo/rtclock_init panic",

then I go to the Bios, set the time or only quit and save, and boots normally for one time,

somebody have the same Problem ??

and could repair !!

Installing iPC 10.5.6

on the Dell Latitude D600

Last updated: April 12, 2010

picture1td.png

There are quite a few OSX install guides on the net for the D600, but none of them are really complete, and you sometimes have to mix and match them. So I've gotten 10.5.6 running on my D600 and I'm going to show you how too.

Status

WORKING

• WiFi (Broadcom cards only)
  • Ethernet (Broadcom 570x)
  • Sound (AC97, speakers & side jacks working)
  • Shutdown & restart
  • Keyboard, pointing nub, and some Fn combos (mute, volume, brightness, and numpad work)
  • Trackpad (normal use and tapping)
  • Basic graphics/video (ATI Mobility Radeon 9000)
  • USB & serial ports

NOT WORKING

• WiFi with Intel's 2100 card
  • Edgescrolling on trackpad
  • Graphics acceleration (no driver :) )
  • Sleep and hibernation
  • Sleep or lock on lid close

NOT TESTED

• Infrared port
  • PCMCIA slot
  • Mic-in jack
  • S-Video out

Requirements

You'll need:

1. A copy of iPC 10.5.6 Final PPF5 (the PPF1+PPF2 iso will NOT work)
  2. A flash drive (for copying drivers over)

Preparation

You'll need to download the files attached to this post onto your thumb drive. Ethernet and WiFi won't work on first boot, so a flash drive is your only way to transfer drivers.

You will also need a copy of OSx86 Tools on your flash drive to update your extensions cache. You could do it manually in the Terminal, but it's much easier this way, trust me. You can download OSx86 Tools here: http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/downloads/list

If you have the Intel 2100 wireless card in your D600, you'll need to download this driver and put it on your thumb drive: http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...0.5/iwi2100.dmg

Walkthrough

1. Boot up your D600 and hit F12 at the BIOS screen.
  2. Insert your iPC DVD, then select Internal CD-RW/DVD Drive
  3. Press any key to boot from the install disc.
  4. When the installer loads, open the Disk Utility (at the top menu under Utilities), and format your entire drive with Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
  5. Back in the installer, choose your hard drive and click Next.
  6. Click the Customize button.
  7. Select these options:
    • iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System
    • 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel
    • AGPGart 2.7.1
    • LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA
    • AC97 Audio
    • PowerManagement Package
    • ACPI Fix
    • CPUS=1 Fix
    • IOPCMCIA Family (optional)
    • Seatbelt.kext
    • IntelCPUPMDisabler
    • PS/2 Keyboard Fix
    • Patch DSDT

[*]Click Install.

[*]I'd recommend letting the disk check run here if this is your first time using this particular disc. If you've used the same disc successfully on other PCs before, you can probably skip it.

[*]After the installer finishes, reboot.

[*]At the BIOS screen, hit F12 again.

[*]Take out the install DVD, then pick Internal HDD.

[*]Press any key to activate advanced options.

[*]Type -f and hit enter.

[*]Congrats, you made it through the first boot. OSX will volunteer you for its First Boot wizard now. :P

[*]On the Internet screen, select "I'm not going to connect this computer to the Internet."

[*]You can skip the Registration screen, just click Continue and click Continue again when it asks you about the unfilled fields.

[*]Now it will drop you off at your desktop. Plugin your USB flash drive and unzip the D600_kexts_soren121.zip file to your desktop.

[*]If you have the Broadcom BCM4306 wireless card in your D600:

• Copy the IO80211Family.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and overwrite the one that's there.

[*]If you have the Intel PROset 2100 wireless card in your D600:

• Open the iwi2100.dmg driver that you downloaded earlier.
  • Open the installer package.
  • Follow the installer.

[*]Go to /System/Library/Extensions in Finder, find IONetworkingFamily.kext, right-click it and choose Show Package Contents.

[*]Click on Contents.

[*]Click on Plugins.

[*]Copy the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext into that Plugins folder, and overwrite if there's already one there.

[*]Now go back to /System/Library/Extensions and follow Steps 21-23, only this time use ApplePS2Controller.kext.

[*]Copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext into this Plugins folder.

[*]Open OSx86 Tools and check off the "Set Extensions permissions" and the "Clear Extensions cache" checkboxes.

[*]Click the Run Selected Tasks.

[*]After a few seconds, it should finish. Click OK and close OSx86 Tools.

[*]Reboot.

And that should do it! I'll be happy to answer any of your questions and solve your problems. :)

pls can any one help me ? ive install it osx 10.5.6 but it tell me "MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers" with -v mode i have dell d600 pls help meeeeeeeeee

Hi, I allways had problems when I try to start with Battery, I got a "Voodoo/rtclock_init panic",

(it's in Post 51),

now I could eliminate this problem,

I changed in the Bios Settings, on Page 3, under Boot Configuration,

the "Boot POST" from MINIMAL into Automatic,

the booting it's now a little bit longer (only a few seconds),

but it works now ! YES !! :angel:

Hi again guys,

I'm going to answer questions in chronological order, starting from the point I stopped replying:

My Hardware

MB : Asus P5G41 ML E

VGA : INTEL GMA X4500

Ram : 2 Gigs

HDD : 500 & 80 Gigs ( Sata )

CPU : Intel Core 2 Due E7500 [MMX,SSE(1,2,3,3S,4.1),EM64T,VT-X]

My problem :

After boot os x86 DVD , Before the Apple logo appears , System restart

What is the problem?

Your first problem is that you're using the wrong guide. Find a guide for your motherboard or figure it out yourself.

I followed the Guide and every thing worked fine on my Dell D600. The wireless doesent work no matter what you do whether it be Intel 2100 or 2200 b/g wireless. The BroadCom Ethernet works fine as per Guide but the ApplePS2Trackpad stuff didnt worked out for me and it dosent matters much as the default kext is working fine. I aslo used a USB 2.0 full speed patch and a USB mass storage patch and my USB devices worked like charm.This is the best MAC OS X for PC I have ever had my hands on.Thank you for such an informatve and "working" guide.

And I guess the default wireless card in Dell Latitude D600 is Intel Pro 2200 b/g not 2100 as so far all the D600's I have seen had the 2200.But even then the drivers for 2200 b/g wont work so it a good idea either to keep going with the wired option or get "some other" wireless card.

I didn't need any USB patches on mine, it worked out-of-the-box. I really don't know what wireless cards were offered with the D600, as I got mine secondhand about a year ago. I would really recommend getting a new MiniPCI card on eBay or elsewhere with a Broadcom or Atheros chipset, preferably the Broadcom BCM4306.

Hey men. Thx for the guide, but i have a problem.

I try for almost 3 times to install the ;) ipc, but when i restart after the installation and appear the gray screen whit the logo of apple, Anything happend. I upload some images for you to help me. I dont know wich version of ipc i use, but i know that the version is the 10.5.6

Thx for attend my msg

This is my flickr. I upload some image of that problem

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46165161@N08/...57624067074978/

Tell me what i have to do? :(

You need iPC 10.5.6 with the PPF5 patch. You need to be absolutely sure that it says PPF5 at the end, otherwise it will hang like you've shown in your pictures. Also, I would strongly advise against dual or tri-booting your D600 when you have OSX on it. It gets infinitely harder to experiment/repair things on your OSX installation when you have to worry about bricking your other OS installs.

Great guide! Recently acquired a D600 with no wireless. Got a Broadcom card from the net for $10.

(I didn't edit the kext as instructed in the guide! The card was recognized by the Mac after install when I went into System Prefs/Networking/Wireless... the chipset on the card is BCM4318)

As I'm new to Macintosh I've still not figured out how to add drivers and things after the main install.

Googling for Video and Mobility 9000 drivers, I found http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry1398 - Perhaps this (or even somewhere else, Google brings more results) could be installed to the system? I don't have much tinker time this week as I did over the last, but hope someone else can use/find some direct drivers (and provide some 'how-to' for new bees like me)

Also, regarding the sleep/wake-up issues, mine locks up.

I noticed during the install there were some check boxes for "fixed" sleep/wake voodoo kernel stuff.

Anyone tried those?

How would one install them after the main installation? (No, I've not yet tried the simple "insert the install disc and browse for installer" yet)

I've searched extensively on the MR9000 drivers, and it appears none of the drivers/fixes that have been available in the past work on Leopard or Snow Leopard. When the next week-long school break rolls around, I'll check out the sleep/wake Voodoo fixes in the Installer. I can't risk having an unusable laptop at the moment. ;)

And now i have a question... How i change thr resolution? I like to use the maximum resolution but how i can get this? If some could get the maximun resolution, tell me how

Gracias

I think you're stuck at 1024x768. It's not a problem for me, since my D600's max resolution is 1024x768. But for those with the 1400x1050 panels, you're out of luck.

EDIT: Open /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add/change the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1400x1050x32</string>

Then save.

I did what you said and the kernel panic thing happened when I tried that.

I think it is because that is not my card. I cannot tell what card I have. all labels and sticker are faded or gone.

After I install everything how do I connect?

I am a Linux person so I am a little new at this.

Open the panel marked C on the underside of your laptop with a screwdriver. The small black chip should tell you what its make and model are.

Where can I download iPC 10.5.6 Final PPF5 ? How big should it be.

Is iPC 10.5.6 Final PPF5 a boot loader ?

Google it, you'll find it. It is a modified OS X install disc, and should be about ~4.3GB.

Okkkkk

First of all, thanksss for the guide!! Best one I have seen so far for the D600.

So, since the wireless isn't working for any intel card, I have to use the wired option, which isnt such a bad idea because my d600 cant last 10 seconds without its power cable, and Im broke...

But there isnt a kext for ethernet, which is the broadcom 5701 card. so i got the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext but i dont kno how to install it...

will anyone help me with the installation of the kext?

thanks in advance

The Ethernet kext is included in my driver package, and install instructions are in the guide.

any games i try to run and a few programs do not function properly is there a reason why i have tested these games and programs on a real mac but these don't seem to work on the hackintosh

There's no hardware acceleration for the Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card, so 3D games and some programs will work very slowly or not at all. Sorry!

Hi,

I've tried a few time to install Mac OSx 10.5.6 on a Dell Latitude D600 using different DVD's (version PPF5 & PPF6) I've downloaded from Internet. I followed the instructions on page 1, Install starts normally but after a few minutes I'm getting the message:

"Install Failed, Mac OS couldn't be installed on you computer.

The install could not install some files in "/volumes/MacDisk1". Contact the Software....

Click restart ... and try again..."

I've tried a few times but I can't go further this point

Is it the DVD fault? if is where can I find a working one?

Can somebody help please?

Best regards

S.A.

You must use the iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 disc. I can't repeat myself enough.

Me again, works fine my fault (partition & format mistakes). Can't make internet work. Will an external USB Wireless WIFI work in the OSX 10.5.6?

Thanks

S.A

Any USB WiFi adapter that says it works with OS X 10.5 will work.

Hi, I allways had problems when I try to start with Battery, I got a "Voodoo/rtclock_init panic",

(it's in Post 51),

now I could eliminate this problem,

I changed in the Bios Settings, on Page 3, under Boot Configuration,

the "Boot POST" from MINIMAL into Automatic,

the booting it's now a little bit longer (only a few seconds),

but it works now ! YES !! :blink:

I don't actually have a battery in my D600 (doesn't hold a charge), so I wouldn't know. Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

very good guide and i maintain to upgrade from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 using ideneb combo upgrade with no problem at all event if you want you can upgrade the kernel to 9.8.0 dont forget to install seatbelt.kext for 10.5.8 everything working great. thank you for your guide

I'm glad you mentioned upgrading. I'm working on writing instructions to upgrade to 10.5.8, but I need to sort out some kext problems. There's a kext in the 10.5.7/10.5.8 upgrades that breaks Google Chrome for some strange reason. The upgrading guide should be up within two weeks.

i am upgrade it directly from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 using ideneb combo no problem at all i just need to add seatbelt.kext using kext helper and everything done and working out of the box i did your post installation technique after i upgrade to 10.5.8 so i install the ethernet and wireless after upgrade if that help google chrome works fine for me the power management package i install after upgrade also

• 9 months later...

I'm aware this topic is a year old, but having recently got a few old Dell Latitude D600s from a Company Clearout Sale (So the laptops I got were in such bad condition, they cost me a grand total of £75 for three!), I found this guide.

I found it so helpful, but I had a few problems with my installation, so, I feel I should contribute.

Bearing in mind that the company I bought the laptops from probably kept all of the valuable parts (it now had a 20GB HD, 256MB of RAM and no more WiFi), may have had something to do with it. I upgraded the RAM to 512MB, and set to work with what I had.

The most persistant flaw I had was that the system kept freezing. I found that in the Power Management/Energy Saving Settings, the Hard Drive was set to go to sleep. With the configuration of my laptop, the Hard Drive would not wake up again without rebooting. To fix this, I changed the setting that tells the system to sleep the HD. The hard drive now stays on permenantly, but at least it doesn't freeze.

Screensavers and putting the screen to sleep doesn't seem to work. To avoid Burn-in, I recommend shutting down the system when it's not in use. I consistently get the bootup error message that Hibernate Fails and something else has garbage.

If I find anything else out, I will post them here!

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The most persistant flaw I had was that the system kept freezing. I found that in the Power Management/Energy Saving Settings, the Hard Drive was set to go to sleep. With the configuration of my laptop, the Hard Drive would not wake up again without rebooting. To fix this, I changed the setting that tells the system to sleep the HD. The hard drive now stays on permenantly, but at least it doesn't freeze.

Screensavers and putting the screen to sleep doesn't seem to work. To avoid Burn-in, I recommend shutting down the system when it's not in use. I consistently get the bootup error message that Hibernate Fails and something else has garbage.

I will try turning the hard drive to sleep OFF. Thanks.

For the hibernate fail and garbage error, try thee following commands

$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

$ sudo rm -rf /var/vm/sleepimage

$ sudo rm -rf /private/var/vm/sleepimage

• 1 month later...

It's been a very long time since I had OS X installed on my D600. At this point in time, I'd recommend against trying to install it. A lot of applications are transitioning to the Mac App Store, which is unavailable in versions prior to 10.6.8. That makes using Leopard even more of a pain to use on the D600.

If you want a modern OS to run on your D600, I would highly recommend CrunchBang Linux, a Debian-based Linux distro that uses the Openbox WM. It runs very speedily, uses little RAM, and has full hardware support for the D600 out-of-the-box. Better yet, it has a very active support community, and the developer, Philip Newborough, aka corenomial, is quite responsive to community requests.

It's been a very long time since I had OS X installed on my D600. At this point in time, I'd recommend against trying to install it. A lot of applications are transitioning to the Mac App Store, which is unavailable in versions prior to 10.6.8. That makes using Leopard even more of a pain to use on the D600.

If you want a modern OS to run on your D600, I would highly recommend CrunchBang Linux, a Debian-based Linux distro that uses the Openbox WM. It runs very speedily, uses little RAM, and has full hardware support for the D600 out-of-the-box. Better yet, it has a very active support community, and the developer, Philip Newborough, aka corenomial, is quite responsive to community requests.

I'm not worried about apps I'm just doing it cause it interests me and if I do it's just for light Internet stuff

Seriously, do not run OS X Leopard. Chrome and Firefox are no longer supported on Leopard. It doesn't receive security updates from Apple any longer, and Leopard on the D600 was always more of an experimental thing than something that could be used daily.

• 11 months later...

Installing iPC 10.5.6

on the Dell Latitude D600

Last updated: September 10, 2010

picture1td.png

There are quite a few OSX install guides on the net for the D600, but none of them are really complete, and you sometimes have to mix and match them. So I've gotten 10.5.6 running on my D600 and I'm going to show you how too.

Status

WORKING

• WiFi (Broadcom cards only)
  • Ethernet (Broadcom 570x)
  • Sound (AC97, speakers & side jacks working)
  • Shutdown & restart
  • Keyboard, pointing nub, and some Fn combos (mute, volume, brightness, and numpad work)
  • Trackpad (normal use and tapping)
  • Basic graphics/video (ATI Mobility Radeon 9000)
  • USB & serial ports
NOT WORKING

• WiFi with Intel's 2100/2200 cards
  • Edgescrolling on trackpad
  • Graphics acceleration (no driver :()
  • Sleep and hibernation
NOT TESTED

• Infrared port
  • PCMCIA slot
  • Mic-in jack
  • S-Video out
  • Startup/use on battery power

Requirements

You'll need:

• A copy of iPC 10.5.6 Final PPF5 (the PPF1+PPF2 iso will NOT work)
  • A flash drive (for copying drivers over)
  • If you have an Intel wireless card, you can try this iwi2200 driver. I don't have an Intel card to test it with, so use at your own risk.

Preparation

You'll need to download the files attached to this post onto your thumb drive. Ethernet and WiFi won't work on first boot, so a flash drive is your only way to transfer drivers.

Walkthrough

• Boot up your D600 and hit F12 at the BIOS screen.
  • Insert your iPC DVD, then select Internal CD-RW/DVD Drive
  • Press any key to boot from the install disc.
  • When the installer loads, open the Disk Utility (at the top menu under Utilities), and format your entire drive with Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
  • Back in the installer, choose your hard drive and click Next.
  • Click the Customize button.
  • Select these options:
    • iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System
    • 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel
    • AGPGart 2.7.1
    • LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA
    • AC97 Audio
    • PowerManagement Package
    • ACPI Fix
    • CPUS=1 Fix
    • IOPCMCIA Family (optional)
    • Seatbelt.kext
    • IntelCPUPMDisabler
    • PS/2 Keyboard Fix
    • Patch DSDT
    • OSx86 Tools
  • Click Install.
  • I'd recommend letting the disk check run here if this is your first time using this particular disc. If you've used the same disc successfully on other PCs before, you can probably skip it.
  • After the installer finishes, reboot.
  • At the BIOS screen, hit F12 again.
  • Take out the install DVD, then pick Internal HDD.
  • Press any key to activate advanced options.
  • Type -f and hit enter.
  • Congrats, you made it through the first boot. OSX will volunteer you for its First Boot wizard now. :P
  • On the Internet screen, select "I'm not going to connect this computer to the Internet."
  • You can skip the Registration screen, just click Continue and click Continue again when it asks you about the unfilled fields.
  • Now it will drop you off at your desktop. Plugin your USB flash drive and unzip the D600_kexts_soren121.zip file to your desktop.
  • If you have the Broadcom BCM4306 wireless card in your D600:
    • Copy the IO80211Family.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and overwrite the one that's there.
  • If you have the Intel PROset 2200b/g wireless card in your D600:
    • PLEASE NOTE that this is entirely experimental, I have no clue if this works or not. I highly recommend you get a BCM4306 card off eBay and install it instead of trying to fiddle with the 2200 drivers. As of 9/10/10, the stable 2200 drivers only support unsecured WiFi networks and partially support open WEP. If you want to try this out, continue on.
    • Mount the DMG you downloaded in the Preparation section earlier and run the installer.
    • Read over the instructions inside the installer.
    • Continue through the installer until it's completed.
  • Go to /System/Library/Extensions in Finder, find IONetworkingFamily.kext, right-click it and choose Show Package Contents.
  • Click on Contents.
  • Click on Plugins.
  • Copy the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext into that Plugins folder, and overwrite if there's already one there.
  • Now go back to /System/Library/Extensions and follow Steps 21-23, only this time use ApplePS2Controller.kext.
  • Copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext into this Plugins folder.
  • Open OSx86 Tools and check off the "Set Extensions permissions" and the "Clear Extensions cache" checkboxes.
  • Click the Run Selected Tasks.
  • After a few seconds, it should finish. Click OK and close OSx86 Tools.
  • Reboot.
NOTE: If you're getting Voodoo/rtclock_init errors or kernel panics, enter the BIOS settings, go to page 3, and change Boot POST to Automatic. Thanks to fariono!

And that should do it! I'll be happy to answer any of your questions and solve your problems. :)

Hey, nice tutorial! I just needed some help. Can you please put up a tutorial on how you made your iPC DVD/CD/USB? I am really struggling to make a DVD that is actually bootable. Please don't just tell me a program, I need a tutorial. Please anybody just help me. Thanks!

I'm sorry, but I won't be of much help with troubleshooting your issues. As I wrote a couple posts above you, I haven't installed OS X on my D600 in a long time. I would not recommend installing OS X Leopard on any machine now, not even a Mac. Using Leopard, especially this stunted version, should be only for experimental reasons. Or 'cause you want to.

To the best of my knowledge, if you have downloaded the correct iPC image, and you burn it to a DVD with ImgBurn or a similar program, it should be bootable. Remember that you should be doing an ISO burn; don't just drag the .iso file onto the disk. Also, you may need to hit F12 on the BIOS screen to boot from the DVD drive.

I'm sorry, but I won't be of much help with troubleshooting your issues. As I wrote a couple posts above you, I haven't installed OS X on my D600 in a long time. I would not recommend installing OS X Leopard on any machine now, not even a Mac. Using Leopard, especially this stunted version, should be only for experimental reasons. Or 'cause you want to.

To the best of my knowledge, if you have downloaded the correct iPC image, and you burn it to a DVD with ImgBurn or a similar program, it should be bootable. Remember that you should be doing an ISO burn; don't just drag the .iso file onto the disk. Also, you may need to hit F12 on the BIOS screen to boot from the DVD drive.

Thanks for your response. I am just doing it as a hobby. My problem is that when i insert the burnt iPC image (burnt with imgburn), and i select to boot from the dvd drive, there is just a blinking cursor, then a quick flash of a white screen then a window that appears for about 2-4 seconds, which lets me type things in it. After that screen, an error shows up at the top of the screen, which only shows up for about 1/2 a second then goes away. Then it goes into normal HDD boot.

• 2 weeks later...

A Additional instruction on how to upgrade a DEll D600 from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8.

After some time I have the system of a friend of mine up and running.

I used the tutorial as on the first page but also got the system up to date.

First installation was done according to the tutorial of "Soren121" thanks for that one.

Than I did only the combo update to 10.5.8 in he update screen.

After the restart I started again with the DVD and selected all the items as in the installation instruction of "Soren121".

A re-start with -v -f

then installed the two additional kexts and a used OSX86 tools.

done a restart again with -v -f

then did a full update of all additional software and the system is up and running.

Great.

• 1 year later...