Kernal Panic? little help please

biarecare

22 posts in this topic

You read about protein synthesis inhibitors and you can't figure out a simple kernel panic? :)

The panic mentions boot cache control - try "deep-cleaning" your caches with Leopard Cache Cleaner:

http://www.northernsoftworks.com/snowleopa...checleaner.html

(don't worry about the name - it works perfectly fine in Leopard as well)

tick the boxes and things like in the screenshot below and let it do its thing, then reboot:

post-188427-1270427786_thumb.png

After the reboot your hack might feel a bit sluggish for a while until the all caches have been rebuilt. This is normal.

I don't know if this will fix your panic but it's definitely worth a try.

I am totally noob with computer programming stuff lol.

I ran the software, now it doesn't automatically load into mac (with the time limit bar thingy that diminishes), I have to actually click a key to login, and now I got a message in the loader with a message like start-up encountered an error, pausing for 5 seconds.

the computer itself doesn't freeze very often so I am not entirely sure if the program is fixed, while having to fix the start up error :X

If you still have a 10.5.x hackintosh install DVD, try booting from it. When it arrives at the installer, run both the disk and permissions repairs in Disk Utility (You can find it in the Tools menu) on your OS X drive/partition, then reboot (you have to select quit installer from the menu) and let me know if it still does the same thing.

If you attach a photo of the screen where you have to press a key, and one of the error message where it says pausing for 5 seconds, I can try to help.

I need to see it for myself to make sure you're saying what I think you're saying :-)

If you see a countdown bar then you must be using the Chameleon Bootloader. Do you know what version it is?

It's not clear to me exactly what you mean by "click a key to login" - but if you have to log in (as in - you see the OS X login window with your user account photo) it normally means that your Hackintosh is booting in safe mode. But it shouldn't be doing that by itself, without your intervention.

If you mean that you now have to manually select the partition you want to boot, then there's an easy fix for that too.

Anyway if you show me some photos of what's happening I'll come up with something. But first try running Disk Utility, if you still have your install DVD.

Wow, you are :P those photos are huge, I GOT THE MESSAGE!! lol

Consider that some of us live in the 3rd world where "broadband internet" is a sinister joke played on us by ruthless and greedy mega-corporations - use the thumbnail links from imageshack instead, or resize your photos.

Disk Utility cannot do a disk repair on a running system, that's why I asked you to boot from the DVD and run it from there.

To see what's hiding behind that error message, you need to edit /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and add these lines:

<key>wait</key>

<string>yes</string>

Once you have opened the file (you can open it in textedit) you'll see what the syntax is like, just add those lines in the same way as everything else. Save and reboot.

If you don't have an 'extra' folder at the root of your system drive then I need you to do the following - run Terminal.app and type diskutil list. Then copy+paste the output here. I need this information in order to determine what the next step should be.

Then I'll help you configure Chameleon so that it starts OS X for you automatically like it did before, and hopefully we can fix that error message as well.

sorry I don't seem to find the extra folder under drive root, here is wt i got from diskutil list

hippocampuss-px721aa-aba-m7160n:~ Hippocampus$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *232.9 Gi disk0

1: DOS_FAT_32 WINDOWS 35.1 Gi disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Mac 197.8 Gi disk0s2

hippocampuss-px721aa-aba-m7160n:~ Hippocampus$

Okay, your drive is MBR partitioned so there is no hidden EFI partition with kernel extensions and plists.

And there is no "Extra" folder at the root of your system drive.. what method or guide did you use to install?

Please post the contents of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

This will let me see how Chameleon is currently configured to read your available partitions and boot your hackintosh.

I'll then add the required changes to it for you so that we can see what's hiding behind the error message.

Did you run Disk repair in Disk Utility from your install DVD yet?

Okay, your drive is MBR partitioned so there is no hidden EFI partition with kernel extensions and plists.

And there is no "Extra" folder at the root of your system drive.. what method or guide did you use to install?

Please post the contents of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

This will let me see how Chameleon is currently configured to read your available partitions and boot your hackintosh.

I'll then add the required changes to it for you so that we can see what's hiding behind the error message.

Did you run Disk repair in Disk Utility from your install DVD yet?

bplist00Ô_device-propertiesVKernelWTimeout\Kernel FlagsP[mach_kernelQ5%,4ABNP

I just installed the hack with a ideneb v1.6 disc into a formatted drive. I ran the disk utility and repaired disk and permissions, yet I am not sure whether it had fixed the problem or I am just lucky for now by chance (ie, no freeze )

Thanks again ;)

I think we cured the freeze issue by flushing the caches. Unfortunately it seems that some information has gone missing, because it was only stored in a cache that got wiped. But we're going to fix that now.

bplist00Ô_device-propertiesVKernelWTimeout\Kernel FlagsP[mach_kernelQ5%,4ABNP

That looks like something that might have come out of Seth Brundle's prototype teleport.

(As I said in post #6) Open /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist with textedit and post the contents here.

(again referring to post #6) could you please resize those 12 megapixel photos or use the thumbnail links from imageshack instead?

It takes a long time for me to load this page because of the size of those photos.

Thank you!

I think we cured the freeze issue by flushing the caches. Unfortunately it seems that some information has gone missing, because it was only stored in a cache that got wiped. But we're going to fix that now.

That looks like something that might have come out of Seth Brundle's prototype teleport.

(As I said in post #6) Open /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist with textedit and post the contents here.

(again referring to post #6) could you please resize those 12 megapixel photos or use the thumbnail links from imageshack instead?

It takes a long time for me to load this page because of the size of those photos.

Some how I cant find the systemconfiguration file under preferences anymore (perphas because of the disk utility fix?) and I did used textedit before to post the contents :)

SystemConfiguration is not a file, it's a folder.

Disk Utility should never ever delete com.apple.Boot.plist, your Hackintosh (as well as a real mac) would not be able to start up at all without it. So it's definitely there.

You're probably looking inside the wrong 'Library' folder, there are several folders with this name. The correct one is at the root of your system drive.

In the Finder menu bar click 'Go', click 'Go to folder...' then copy/paste this in the path box:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

And click the 'Go' button. That should take you straight there.

Let's try another approach this time.

Right-click the file com.apple.Boot.plist and then click Compress "com.apple.Boot.plist". A zip archive with your Boot.plist should appear on your desktop. Attach this file to your next post.

SystemConfiguration is not a file, it's a folder.

Disk Utility should never ever delete com.apple.Boot.plist, your Hackintosh (as well as a real mac) would not be able to start up at all without it. So it's definitely there.

You're probably looking inside the wrong 'Library' folder, there are several folders with this name. The correct one is at the root of your system drive.

In the Finder menu bar click 'Go', click 'Go to folder...' then copy/paste this in the path box:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

And click the 'Go' button. That should take you straight there.

Let's try another approach this time.

Right-click the file com.apple.Boot.plist and then click Compress "com.apple.Boot.plist". A zip archive with your Boot.plist should appear on your desktop. Attach this file to your next post.

Here you go, thanks.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Right, unzip this com.apple.Boot.plist.zip somewhere, then drag-and-drop it into the SystemConfiguration folder, replacing the old com.apple.Boot.plist.

OS X will ask if you're sure you want to replace the file, click OK and type your password. Then reboot.

Chameleon should halt before booting your OS and show some diagnostic messages. Take a photo (make sure all of the text is readable) and post it here.

Hint: You can use Preview.app to crop the photo (I only need to see the text) and resize it to 50% before attaching it. No need to use imageshack, just attach it here like you did with the photo in the first post.

I made a new com.apple.Boot.plist from scratch. The one you uploaded (which I then edited and re-uploaded) seems to be corrupted somehow, it's acting strange, it sorts its entries alphabetically by itself after saving and re-opening it (WTF?) and has an empty device properties string (I think that's the reason for one of the error messages).

So, one down (yay!) now try this one: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Same procedure as before - replace, reboot and take photos (zipping the pictures works out fine, good idea).

The bootloader seems to work better now, at least I see that diminishing bar where it automatically count downs and login to Mac, got another message (see attachment);

Nevertheless another panic after loading into mac, scared the {censored} out of me, afraid that wont be able to login again!

well second restart seems fine.

Thanks

post-594332-1270527945_thumb.png

post-594332-1270527963_thumb.png

Okay - I didn't know this because I've never seen that message - it turns out that "efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL (...)" can safely be ignored:

http://efixusers.com/showpost.php?p=452&postcount=13

I guess that means we're almost done.

Just checking if I'm understanding you correctly - it panic'd on the first boot and was fine on the second?

Random KPs are the worst ones, they can be very difficult to troubleshoot.

Try this one - it should boot OS X right away without showing any messages at all. Let me know if it's fine for you that way.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Looking at your diskutil list output on post #7...do you have Windows installed? If so, how do you boot into Windows?

Or is that just a FAT32 storage partition?

Okay - it seems like Wait=y didn't provide any diagnostic output at all in Chameleon 2.0 RC2 (that's the version you're using).

Just checking if I'm understanding you correctly - it panic'd on the first boot and was fine on the second?

Try this one - it should boot OS X right away without showing any messages at all. Let me know if it's fine for you that way.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Looking at your diskutil list output above...do you have Windows installed? If so, how do you boot into Windows?

Yup, panic during the first restart; After replacing with your code, I can login without any error message, but Chameleon v2 logo is gone and it automatically runs into Mac with the grey apple logo (instead of the silver one)

I don't have Windows OS installed, I divided my Drive into two partitions, the one named WINDOWS is currently empty. I am afraid to install windows into that empty partition as I believe it will screw up my bootloader of Mac. I am probably going to annoy you about this in the future :D I tried VM fusion but it always freezes during installation.

Chameleon v2 logo is gone and it automatically runs into Mac with the grey apple logo (instead of the silver one)

Yes, that was the idea :D it's more like a Mac that way.

If you don't like it that way you can go back to how it was before with this one: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

You're right - if you install Windows on your current configuration, you will lose the ability to boot into OS X because Windows will overwrite Chameleon with its own bootloader. It's easier to pull this off if you install Windows first and then OS X but it's still complicated, even for mad scientists who write papers on protein synthesis inhibitors just for fun.

It's much simpler to install Windows on a separate hard drive, and then set your OS X drive as the boot drive in your BIOS. Chameleon will see both drives and can be configured so that you can choose if you want to boot OS X or Windows from the boot menu, or you can have it boot one of them by default after a time-out.

But for this to work well it would be a good idea to update to the latest version of Chameleon 2.0:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209712 (I really should finish that guide)

Here's the Chameleon docs, note how each release got new options - especially the ones related to drive and partition management are useful on a multiboot configuration.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,351.0.html

Here's the InsanelyMac multi-booting subforum: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=104

Yes, that was the idea ;) it's more like a Mac that way.

If you don't like it that way you can go back to how it was before with this one: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

You're right - if you install Windows on your current configuration, you will lose the ability to boot into OS X because Windows will overwrite Chameleon with its own bootloader. It's easier to pull this off if you install Windows first and then OS X but it's still complicated, even for mad scientists who write papers on protein synthesis inhibitors just for fun.

It's much simpler to install Windows on a separate hard drive, and then set your OS X drive as the boot drive in your BIOS. Chameleon will see both drives and can be configured so that you can choose if you want to boot OS X or Windows from the boot menu, or you can have it boot one of them by default after a time-out.

But for this to work well it would be a good idea to update to the latest version of Chameleon 2.0:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209712 (I really should finish that guide)

Here's the Chameleon docs, note how each release got new options - especially the ones related to drive and partition management are useful on a multiboot configuration.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,351.0.html

Here's the InsanelyMac multi-booting subforum: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=104

Thanks a lot for your help bro!

Judging from your professional experience, do you think the panic problem are fixed, theoretically?

Eww, I don't have another Hard drive :D

Do you think I can

1) Install windows on the empty PARTITION

2) after everything is installed, Insert Ideneb disc in, and JUST install the bootloader v2.0 into the Mac PARTITION?

Would it work this way?

Thanks a lot for your help bro!

You're welcome, glad we got it sorted out. I think most of your problems were caused by the corrupted com.apple.Boot.plist.

Judging from your professional experience, do you think the panic problem are fixed, theoretically?

Hehe "professional", I wish!! I don't make a cent from this. It's just a hobby.

I think any kernel panics that you could get from know on (touch wood) would be unrelated to the issues that we've fixed.

Fixing permissions, running Disk Repair and cleaning caches are always good first troubleshooting steps if you can't pinpoint exactly what's causing a kernel panic. Sometimes it will be very clear, for example you will see a specific kernel extension or family of extensions causing the panic. Those are normally easy to fix because others will have seen them too and posted about it. Then with some creative googling you can usually find out how to fix it.

Here's a useful post on the subject over at Prasys' blog: http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/tip-troublesho...-kernel-panics/

Also type "read a kernel panic" (without the quotes) in google, the first hit is very useful. I can't post a direct link, unfortunately that particular site is censored automatically here on IM.

Eww, I don't have another Hard drive :(

Meh, when your paper on protein synthesis inhibitors gets published you can buy as many hard drives as you want!

Do you think I can

1) Install windows on the empty PARTITION

2) after everything is installed, Insert Ideneb disc in, and JUST install the bootloader v2.0 into the Mac PARTITION?

Would it work this way?

Something like that, yes. I don't know if you could still boot into Windows after doing it exactly that way though. Windows likes to have the boot sector to itself. But there are ways. As I said before, I have zero experience with running multiple OSes off of one drive. You'll have to search and find the right way to do it.

Visit the Chameleon forum http://forum.voodooprojects.org/ and have a look around, start with the FAQ section on the general board.