HDMI Issues 10.6.3

23 posts in this topic

I have experienced Display difficulties since updating to 10.6.3 and it appears that many others are having the same issues judging by the posts on here. I thought I would start a thread here rather than continue posting in the Kakewalk Installation thread.

It appears that most of the difficulties experienced by people revolve around HDMI. I have a nVidia 9500GT and my monitor is a Toshiba 42' TV connected via HDMI. On a fresh install of Kakewalk 10.6.0 and subsequent updates to 10.6.2 the display performs exactly as it should. However on updating to 10.6.3 the displayed image no longer fits the screen (with overscan on - it is too big, with overscan off - it is too small) additionally I have noticed that after the update when the computer is turned off (but still connected to the power socket) the Screen of the TV displays a fine checkwork pattern. I suspect that something has affected the HDMI communication.

Other users have reported different issues with various cards and monitors however there appears to be a recurring theme of something being amiss with HDMI.

Any thoughts or suggestion?

I am aware that Apple has been preparing HDMI macs - has something been changed to suit these?

My build is from the Lifehacker guide so I'm not an hardcore hacker. I had the same problem when I updated from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. I was able to find a temporary solution by copying the 10.6.1 version of NVDANV40Hal.kext NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext to the Extensions folder but the image resolution got corrupted so I installed Natit.kext which fixed the problem.

However, I've read that Apple tempered with the Nvidia "drivers" in 10.6.3 and this solution is not working anymore.

Using a DVI2VGA adapter and hooking to VGA port solve the problem but it's not a viable option for me ( I think VGA looks like {censored} and should be phased out of all hardware, but that's my opinion)

I think Natit hasn't been updated since 2006, maybe someone could come up with an update.

drkick - yes I have tried modifying those kexts (I added my device id) but it did not resolve the issue. I do not have the option of using VGA or DVI as my display (Toshiba 42" TV) is HDMI only.

At present I have reverted to 10.6.2.

I await development of a solution eagerly

So.... are there any 8000 & 9000 Nvidia cards that are NOT affected by this issue?

Thus far I've seen the problem reported with 8600GTs, 8800GTs, 9500GTs, 9600GTs, 9800GT/GTX/GTX+, GTS 250 & 9800GX2s.

I've yet to test on my other 9600GSO based build, but I'd assume it has the same issue since it shares a core with the 8800/9800GT

I also had this problem with 10.6.3 on GFX 285m.....

Tried loooadddss of things to get it to work with no joy.

Back to 10.6.2 with 10.6.1 50hal and resman files. Works a treat and im happy. Going to wait until there is a solution untill i upgrade again.

Hi

I've got 7600gs dual-dvi (one connected to lcd monitor (dvi-dvi), second connected to LCD TV (dvi-hdmi)

just upgraded to 10.6.3 and everything works. only 8xxx=< has hdmi problem???

open gl from 257(10.6.1) to 120(10.6.3) and only 32-bit with my card possible

So.... are there any 8000 & 9000 Nvidia cards that are NOT affected by this issue?

Thus far I've seen the problem reported with 8600GTs, 8800GTs, 9500GTs, 9600GTs, 9800GT/GTX/GTX+, GTS 250 & 9800GX2s.

I've yet to test on my other 9600GSO based build, but I'd assume it has the same issue since it shares a core with the 8800/9800GT

I have the exact same problem with the Gainward GTX 295

See possible solution for 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 problems with DVI/HDMI monitors here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1452539

Essentially you can try the new AsereBLN_v1.1.9 Bootloader with the graphics enable option (no EFI strings) from here:

http://github.com/aserebln/Chameleon/downloads

Very interesting, will build some new boot sticks tonight, and will provide some feedback with my 9600GSO (G92 core) and 9800GT machines tomorrow

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
my 8800gt works fine in 10.6.5 incl. dualmonitor with hdmi...

which driver are you using? do you have underscan controls?

I have an 8800 GTS stuck in overscan.

I had a driver with underscan but since I updated to 10.6.5 it started garbling my underscan screen, would only work with overscan.

Any help os appreciated. Thanks