(SOLVED) skype black video screen with 10.6.3!

32 posts in this topic

I've updated to 10.6.3 and then i have no more camera with skype (all i have is the led turning on and a black video screen). However with Photo Booth my camera works. I have the latest skype version and an acer crystal-eye webcam.

Anyone else has this problem? Better, a suggestion to solve this.

Thanks.

camera is still working with photobooth, how about you guys?

tried rolling back versions of skype, no luck ;)

Works with photo booth, Ichat...Etc, but only skype has that problem!

Same problem here with my external cam. It seems to be all webcams which work without drivers? The same version of Skype on my other Mac (10.6.2) works perfectly.

I've submitted a report to Skype by e-mail and I suggest everyone does the same so they realize what a problem it is for us!

My camera works in the latest Skype in 10.6.3, I didn't try actually calling anyone but it works in the test. Photobooth works fine too.

MSN Messenger 8 beta however - no video.

Camera is a Logitech Pro 9000.

My camera works in the latest Skype in 10.6.3, I didn't try actually calling anyone but it works in the test. Photobooth works fine too.

MSN Messenger 8 beta however - no video.

Camera is a Logitech Pro 9000.

Does this identify as a Logitech in OS X or is it a generic USB 2.0 Webcam? My friend's Logitech is still working but unlike the other cams it identifies by its name, so we think Logitech has some drivers rolled into OS X itself.

As Logitech but that just means that OS X knows Logitech's vendor ID, which is reported by the camera when it is plugged in.

The camera is also seen as a Logitech camera in Windows XP, which is about 8 years older than the camera itself.

You can see the same behavior when you plug in an old unsupported USB device on 64-bit Windows 7. Even if the OS cannot work with the device you'll still get make and model showing in Device Manager and/or the dialog that pops up when Windows 7 fails to find a driver for it online.

The camera worked in 10.5.x as well.