boot for Radeon HD 4xxx DVI out only / only for 10.6.3

JaS

56 posts in this topic

Would love to help test this, but the link in IRC for the files is dead.

Have a Diamond Radeon 4650 HD (1 Gb GDDR2) running in 10.6.3 with native kexts (edited Radeon4600Controller and RadeonX2000 to insert device ID) and no enabler.

Have dual-display, mirrored mode only. Using 1 VGA and 1 DVI->VGA converter.

Currently if I remove the converter and try to boot using 1 VGA and 1 DVI then both monitors go into power save mode when the GUI tries to load.

getting a single 4850 work in 10.6.3 is easy, just use ati4800controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext from 10.6.2. edit the info.plist in ati4800controller.kext, add your dev-id, save it then inject the 3 of them with kext helper and add graphicsenabler=yes in boot.plist, reboot and it should work without dvi2vga dongle.

Yep maybe that works - but what happens if you use 10.6.3 drivers (also patched with needed dev-ids´) ?

Drivers in this time, specially GPU drivers should be updated always. Also near 10.6.4 drivers will have many fixes and enhencements for gaming /OpenCL. Non Gaming hackintoshs may use older drivers without any problem.

I would like to switch to 48xx card but i am unsure, by reading much different user comments if i should try that or not.

I use 8800GT card already (switched from ATI 3850 which was a real nightmare to get it to work at 10.5 times).

Any 4850 Users out there with 10.6.3 drivers (unpatched beside Dev ids) ?

Yep maybe that works - but what happens if you use 10.6.3 drivers (also patched with needed dev-ids´) ?

Drivers in this time, specially GPU drivers should be updated always. Also near 10.6.4 drivers will have many fixes and enhencements for gaming /OpenCL. Non Gaming hackintoshs may use older drivers without any problem.

I would like to switch to 48xx card but i am unsure, by reading much different user comments if i should try that or not.

I use 8800GT card already (switched from ATI 3850 which was a real nightmare to get it to work at 10.5 times).

Any 4850 Users out there with 10.6.3 drivers (unpatched beside Dev ids) ?

i've been using stock 10.6.x ATI drivers since the start. just find the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext and put that in E/E, then use an ATI-supporting EFI bootloader (like Aserebln, Chameleon RC4 or PCEFI 10.6) with graphicsenabler=y. that's it.

THanks , that sounds very good ! (Make hope :( )

But why are so many ATI 48XX users cant do that easy+better way using orig. 10.6.3 drivers (with Dev ids patched or legacy (ID injection) ?

I dont think the most of them are tzo dump to do that above - there must be something more (differences in ATI cards with same GPU type ?).

THanks , that sounds very good ! (Make hope ;) )

But why are so many ATI 48XX users cant do that easy+better way using orig. 10.6.3 drivers (with Dev ids patched or legacy (ID injection) ?

I dont think the most of them are tzo dump to do that above - there must be something more (differences in ATI cards with same GPU type ?).

Just a quick explanation about what I experience with my HD4850 (Gainward golden sample 2xDVi +S-Video) :

On 10.6, 10.6.1, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 stock kext work for 2xDvi cards and a dvi>vga dongle is needed in second port to have dvi signal in first one ; dual display doesn't work.

On 10.6.2 you don't need dvi>vga dongle in second port to have dvi signal in first one and you can have hdmi output with dvi>hdmi dongle and vga output with dvi>vga dongle. Dual display work with any combination of DVi/HDMI/VGA dispaly.

For cards with native HDMI and/or vga out only 10.6.2 seems to work but I'm not sure

The 10.6.2 full support can be "ported" in other 10.6 versions using ati4800controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext from 10.6.2

Of course in evry case you need to add card ID in ati4800controller.kext or use legacy

It's the same if you use Motmot or Quail Framebuffer

cheers

Thanks again for clearing why some ATI48xx cards have more probs than others:

Depends on what Video Out devices they have : HDMI=bad, others OK (DUAL DVI, DVI+VGA). I didnt know that before - only was irritated by success vs no go comments on "same" gpu type.

Just a quick explanation about what I experience with my HD4850 (Gainward golden sample 2xDVi +S-Video) :

On 10.6, 10.6.1, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 stock kext work for 2xDvi cards and a dvi>vga dongle is needed in second port to have dvi signal in first one ; dual display doesn't work.

On 10.6.2 you don't need dvi>vga dongle in second port to have dvi signal in first one and you can have hdmi output with dvi>hdmi dongle and vga output with dvi>vga dongle. Dual display work with any combination of DVi/HDMI/VGA dispaly.

For cards with native HDMI and/or vga out only 10.6.2 seems to work but I'm not sure

The 10.6.2 full support can be "ported" in other 10.6 versions using ati4800controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext from 10.6.2

Of course in evry case you need to add card ID in ati4800controller.kext or use legacy

It's the same if you use Motmot or Quail Framebuffer

cheers

I confirm these findings with the same card (ATI 4850 GS 512) using for more then a year now !

I'm not shure if my video-rom injection with the original PC-ATI bios is enhencing compatibility !

But it works great !

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...00#entry1470364

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this!!!

I have a Sapphire 4670 512MB GDDR3 and this works perfectly DVI with stock 10.6.4 drivers.

I can't believe how easy of a fix this was! I spent hours looking for a working kext untill I came across this.

Thanks again!

i just tried to connect to irc.osx86.hu to go to #RadeonHD, but i got banned?!?!?!

Connecting to irc://irc.osx86.hu/ (irc://irc.osx86.hu/)… [Cancel]

Looking up your hostname...

*** Found your hostname (cached)

*** You are permanently banned from Freedom (abuse)

Closing Link: zarac[*my-ip-address-here*] (User has been permanently banned from Freedom (abuse))

needless to say i never abused irc - actually i rarely use it

last time i connected about a month ago and i did not have any problems with irc.osx86.hu

who should i contact to resolve this?

moofspeak and voodooprojects servers still let me in. any thoughts?

Here's my 10.6.3 4890 info.

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4890

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9460

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

SMB2330:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

Display Connector:

Hope it helps.

By the way, did anyone tried this boot method with 10.6.4 for the 4890?

Thanks.

Can someone please help me getting Sapphire ATI 4650 DVI output to work? VGA is doing well, but DVI doesn't work.

Config for the moment:

SL 10.6.2

Chameleon RC4

Device-ID: 0x9498, Manufacturer: ATI (0x1002), Version-ID: 0x0000

ROM-Version: 113-B7710C-176, EFI-Driverversion: 01.00.318

Tried also #RadeonHD on IRC, but noone there...

Thanks in advance, anli

• 4 weeks later...

I'm actually having a few strange issues.

1. I use the Windows bootloader-it's simple and clean. When I select to boot OSX, RIGHT before Chameleon loads, a message is flashed that says "Unsupported chipset" and a lot more that I can't make out because it dissappears quick. It still boots fine, but any idea what that is?

2. I have Snow set to load on a 3 sec timeout. If I want to manually enter boot flags, I have to interrupt the countdown twice, where as with stock Chameleon, I only have to press a key once. Make sense? and any idea here?

3. Any Quartz visualizers run in iTunes freeze shortly after starting them, quitting and restarting iTunes lets me run it for another few seconds before it freezes. Also, if I try and play Sims 3, the screen freezes during the intro videos, and the sound loops a half second clip indefinitely (I can mac-equivelent alt-tab out and force quit the program). It's not my sound drivers, as iTunes has no problems playing music, and also I removed the sound kext and still had the same issues.

If there's ANY sort of info for this stuff, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm desperate to get my 4670 running under 10.6.4. It's an MSI R4670 MD512/D3.

I can't so much as boot it up to give you much information. It's dual-DVI, and no matter which /boot I use (the one here, netkas stock 10.6, svn builds, etc.) and which combination of GraphicsEnabler, PciRoot etc. I use, the screens always die when they'd normally go to the initial desktop. Booting with -x never starts. DVI->VGA adapter does nothing.

Sad all round -_-

I'm desperate to get my 4670 running under 10.6.4. It's an MSI R4670 MD512/D3.

I can't so much as boot it up to give you much information. It's dual-DVI, and no matter which /boot I use (the one here, netkas stock 10.6, svn builds, etc.) and which combination of GraphicsEnabler, PciRoot etc. I use, the screens always die when they'd normally go to the initial desktop. Booting with -x never starts. DVI->VGA adapter does nothing.

Sad all round ;)

i too had the same problem trying to get my ati4670 working on 10.6.4 black screen after boot with every bootloader,have now got it working perfectly with any bootloader by editing the framebuffer to Flicker in the ati.c file under device id 10029490 only tested dvi at the moment also using the same bootloader as in the first post,will upload the boot file if needed

Figured out a problem I'm having.

Snow Leopard boots up and runs perfectly fine using two cores, however graphics intensive apps freeze and stop running.

Booting with cpus=1 solves the problem, however using only one core is substantially slower.

I'm running an AMD dual core, using the Qoopz/Nawcom 10.4.0 kernel. I'm not sure if the problem is due to this booter, or the kernel. I'm assuming it's the kernel.

• 1 month later...

Thanks I will try it later on, my S HD 4670 512mb is working with DVI-VGA dongle now with full resolution 1920X1200

this is my info

ATI Radeon HD 4600:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4600

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Device ID: 0x9490

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

DELL 2408WFP:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

ATI Radeon HD 4600:

Name: ATY,Motmot

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x9490

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x174b

Subsystem ID: 0xe880

Link Width: x16

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

few questions before I check and replace the boot file, according to the above will I be able to use the boot file?

I can see in system pref that he did recognize my HD audio ob the card (need to try it) is that mean I am OK??

my build is with IATKOS 3 v2 10.6.3, I have choose ATI injector and boot flag YES...do I need to do something ells?

thanks

This works for me on stock 10.6.4 with QE/CI on a Sapphire Radeon 4670 512MB card using DVI-DVI. This card also has HDMI out and VGA out, neither of which work for me. Has anyone managed to get HDMI out working on a 4670?

I triple-boot this machine into SL, Linux and Win7. On Linux and Win 7 I have dual monitors on the HDMI and DVI ports of the 4670. I'm an OS X neophyte - does anyone know whether dual monitor support is possible on OS X with the 4670, either with stock or custom kexts, DSDT or EFI?

Thanks to everyone for all the great work - it took a bit of effort to get this working but it would not have been possible without these forums.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hi i hope you can help me. I have Radeon HD4350 and i cannot get to full display. This is the id:

1002:954F RV710(Radeon HD 4350)

Will this work http://www.kexts.com/view/713-radeonhd.kext.html since it said ATI HD4350. But i not sure which to download.

My system:

iATKOS_S3_v2 updated to 10.6.5

Intel DG45ID

Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.40Ghz

4Gb DDR2-800 PC-6400

Radeon HD4350

SATA WD500

SATA DvdWriter

Thanks

Hey, was wondering if you can do something for the HD4330, 0x95521002 (RV710).

I got it to work with 1366x768x32 useing "radeonhd.kext" but it doesnt always load. and i realy dont know how it did load! I massecure with altering the ati4600 and ati4800 kext's, and when i least expected it booted up 1366x768x32 and i wold like to see that in "permanent mode".

• 3 weeks later...

hey i just updated to 10.6.6 and my radeon 4650 isnt how it was how can i fix this?? is it fixable?? :)

ATI Radeon HD 4890:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4890

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x9498

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Display Connector:

im using a radeon 4650 why is it showing as 4890?? im using 10.6.6 btw is there anyway to fix this im using pc efi 10.6

• 5 months later...