• This topic is locked This topic is locked
654 replies to this topic

sandmanfvrga

sandmanfvrga

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Windows Vista is just TOO much. The stupid contract that Apple and Microsoft has should never have been done. What about when the contract ends? Mac users with Windows Vista on their mac system will have to remove when the contract ends.

So I'm saying Windows Vista should NEVER EVER run on a Mac. The even worst thing is Apple switching to Intel processors.

I don't hate Macs. But I wish they would just keep on PPC technology and stay only supporting Mac. And, PCs should never be-able to use PPC and stick to Intel and AMD.

Dell, keep X off your computers and stay with XP or Vista.

Mircrosoft and Apple should be competitors again! Not contract signing sissies.

Who cares if Vista supports XP drivers? GO get XP ready systems from Dell or STAY with XP.

Get rid of that dot-matrix printer and get a Vista compatable printer and computer.

My $700 dell laptop is going to be 90% compatable with vista (10% is the graphics card)

I agree with pyrate on this quote. You don't have to uninstall XP or Vista once that agreement is gone. The license with Windows is for your own and use the OS, not where to install it. Quit talking {censored}. :angry:

kernalzero

kernalzero

aesculapius

• Donators
  • 569 posts
I'm prettu sure Bill Gates and M$ don't give a rats ass where you install their OS as long as you paid for it. That's there bottom dollor, $$$. If you paid for it you can put it on a shelf and never install or install it on apple hardware...they won't care because they already made their money. Money they wouldn't be making if you couldn't install windows on your new intel mac...

Guest: Guest_*

• Guests
I've played with the betas, and haven't been terribly impressed. I'll run Vista on a PC at work and home because it pays the bills, but my main desktop at home is likely to remain XP+windowblinds. I've got everything novel out of Vista in that combo. I don't personally need and unified media experience or whatever, as I'm already happy to use VLC on Mac, XP, and Linux. I don't much care what music player I use either, as long as it can do playlists, and isn't a resource hog. I'm one of the few folks that just doesn't care for iTunes, so Vista's iTunes work-alike or whatever you wanna call it doesn't appeal to me.

I've got the hardware to run Vista (on multiple PCs in fact), but have no care to devote it to the OS itself.

• Guests
Vista will give people a big impression, isn't it?

A security OS, a beautiful OS, a easy-to-use OS, a detail OS, a troubesome OS, a high requirement OS

Oops, are there any others?

Oh, yes, a expensive OS, a OS that you need to buy a new computer for it

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Vista will give people a big impression, isn't it?

A security OS, a beautiful OS, a easy-to-use OS, a detail OS, a troubesome OS, a high requirement OS

Oops, are there any others?

Oh, yes, a expensive OS, a OS that you need to buy a new computer for it

You sound like a mac zealot. Here are the minimum requirements for Windows Vista:

http://www.microsoft...dy/capable.mspx

Now as you can see, you won't have to buy a new pc in order to run it. But lets see what apple's minimum requirements are for running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4:

http://www.apple.com...quirements.html

Again you don't have to upgrade to be able to run it. Now of course some might say it's not fair to compare the next version of Windows with the current version of apple's OS. But since Apple didn't post what the system requirements are for their next version of their OS, we can't really compare them. Maybe do a comparison of the current OS with the current version of Windows then. Here is the minimum system requirements of Windows XP:

http://www.microsoft...ng/sysreqs.mspx

As you can see, they are relatively even when it comes to system requirements. And when apple's next OS comes out, which will probably be around the same time that Windows Vista comes out, you most likely won't have to upgrade or buy a new pc to be able to run it. If that was true, the system requirements would be set to the latest system specs that are being sold already.

In other words, quit spouting FUD. And if you want to make your arguement sound convincing, back it up with evidence, along with registering an account here. Don't just post as an anonymous user or guest. That show's you can't prove your point already.

And if you are going to make a point about RAM, even Leo Laporte, who is a mac fan insists on running with 2 GB of RAM. Which is what I run Windows with, and it runs beautifully.

Oops, that was my posting above. Forgot to login :)

Then there were none.

Then there were none.

"Insert witty pop culture reference here"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Its not about the quality of the operating system in microsofts eyes, its about the quantity shipped, microsoft is a trusted brand, and its not a piticularily bad one, too.
As long as microsoft is the only consumer os that is licensed to every pc in the world, then they will make money, what computer illitarete consumer is going to go into a store and buy a mac when they can buy a cheaper windows pc.
lets face it unless apple can license their os, and push prices down of their hardware, and market it much more agrresively, then microsoft is always going to win.

sandmanfvrga

sandmanfvrga

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
matthunter3, you are right on the money. OSX = quality OS and Windows = mass market OS, low quality. If the Apple hardware was like Dell hardware in prices, MS would be in trouble. Stupid Steve Jobs can't see this.

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

matthunter3, you are right on the money. OSX = quality OS and Windows = mass market OS, low quality. If the Apple hardware was like Dell hardware in prices, MS would be in trouble. Stupid Steve Jobs can't see this.

You're right. And this is what keeps them in their niche as well. People have been saying that Macs will take over the world for years. It ain't gonna happen with apple continuing to be a hardware company here. They need to be a software company.

But atleast now they can compete against the other windows oem's since their intel mac's can run windows xp as well.

Then there were none.

Then there were none.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
It's not that they need to be a software company, its that they need to lower there inflated prices.
the big reason for apples inflated prices is design, they employ the people to design a product, but that costs more money than dell would do for a similar product.
lets face it you need good design on consumer electronics, and maybe the imac and laptops, but they dont have to be that lavish, the better step would be lower the prices, more realistically, if an imac base was £800, then they would sell more, and make much more money beacause of quantity, then they could gradually raise prices, and have more users to buy more expensive macs.

people arnet gonna buy a mac to run windows are they, people are going to want out of the box simplicity not, the complications of reinstalling another OS, and then having to switch between them when they want to run software.

My suggestions: Better Prices, Easier windows software use, better compatibility And a more aggressive marketing campaign.

Lets face it, the typical computer consumer wants to walk into a shop like pcworld and buy a computer that already runs the software they use, or is compatible with the software they will use, at the moment the mac sint as compatible as windows.

As for games peter moneylux said it right when he said: "apple needs mor emphasis on games"

sandmanfvrga

sandmanfvrga

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
Peter Moenylux (however you spell his name) talks to much. I read that on Fable 2 he has been told to shut his mouth or legal actions will be taken. Funny. I don't listen to a man like that.

With Intel hardware in the boxes, there is no need to high prices even WITH the cool designs. I will bet you money, if I was a betting man, that Apple doesn't pay nearly as much for the hardware in the Intel Macs like the PowerPC Macs. The EFI is the only custom piece of hardware. So why should the price be so high? Arrogance in Steve Jobs. Frankly with the Intel move, Apple needs to focus more on software, not hardware. In my opinion, they have stopped being a hardware company. They offer PCs, with nice cases. Nothing more. When Jobs realizes that, then things will change.

Then there were none.

Then there were none.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
i agree, but peter monelux has inveted fable so qiute frankly he can say whatever the hell he wants about hhis own game,
but apple is a company that inovates design but for that design you must pay a premium.

in the end its a corporation, they're all about making as much money as possible

sandmanfvrga

sandmanfvrga

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
Actually no he can't say anything on the second one. I need to find that article, I thinkg it was on IGN look there, but Lionhead and/or lawyers told him to keep his mouth shut. So yeah he has to. ;)

True, money is all that matters. I really wish I could take Apple from Jobs. In a month I would change the company forever. Cut costs of hardware, eliminate crappy bugs in hardware (well that might take longer than a month), and I would give OSX to a couple computer makers other than Apple; namely DELL and say HP/Compaq or something. Then the computer companies could make thier pcs and then put either XP, Vista, or OSX on them. Mac lovers could buy quallity Macs for less but the Macs would be slightly more fine tuned so buying a Mac had a slight perk to them.

Then there were none.

Then there were none.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
i agree, if i was in control i would do things differently,

I would "think different".

(couldnt help myself)

• Guests
Good one.

sandmanfvrga

sandmanfvrga

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
Oops, that was me.

dponmac

dponmac

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:being cool
I think Vista will do its job by preparing us for Vienna. The question I want to know is, will Microsoft keep to its word and have more OS releases and less service packs? Only time will tell.

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
The arrogance of Steve Jobs? You hit it right on the money. Even in the early days of apple, he wanted to charge a premium for selling a mac versus selling a pc. Where did it get him? The 5% share of the PC market apple has now. In the beginning Apple had a monopoly with personal computers. Then the pc compatible from ibm came along. And instead of Apple trying to compete by lowering their prices against it. Steve Jobs and his arrogance made him believe that people would continue paying more for their PC against IBM's PC. And that is where Apple lost their huge market share.

And here we go again. For the last few years, Apple has been selling iPod's. And has had the monopoly on the market of portable mp3 players where you can buy songs online with their store iTunes. But if you look at the law that was passed in France recently. Even though it was severely crippled. If the rights holders demand that an online music store's DRM work on any portable mp3 player as long as it can play the music back in the codec that it was encoded in, the online music store has to comply. Which means that if you want to play your purchased iTunes music on another portable mp3 player that can play back AAC files, and the rights holder wants you to be able to do this, then Apple has no choice but to allow you to do it. And I don't mean by you burning a cd and then ripping that cd to put on your portable mp3 player, I mean removing the DRM from the audio file without having to recompress the audio file.

And now there are 3 more countries in Europe thinking of enacting a law like this. This means if you want to buy songs on iTunes, you don't have to buy Apple's iPod anymore to play them back on a portable mp3 player. Which spells the end of Apple's monopoly on the portable mp3 player market. Because now they're only competing on usability and features instead of that plus buying songs online. You don't need to buy an iPod if you want to buy songs from iTunes. And how many of their sales are their because simply the customer was told that if you want to listen to digital music on the go, they have to buy an iPod. We'll find out soon enough.

Then there were none.

Then there were none.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yeah but a law like that will never pass in the us/uk, but ms is getting antitrust all over europe.

Apple need to lower their prices

fire dionysus

fire dionysus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:[url=http://www.userbars.com/][img]http://www.userbars.com/galerie/images/files/3/4/Google.png[/...
what i like about both osx and windows. i like the how stable osx is most of the time i like that it can be very smooth and good os. but i also like and use windows xp more often than mac osx just because of the app i use are xp only most of the time. but i also use linux i am bad at it but i am working at it to be better user of linux. but what keeps me in the windows world is that i am a geek and i enjoy most of the stuff it has to offer. i build pcs you cant build macs you cant customize the way it is in anyway it is what it is. i love knowing how much work i put in to a pc and every thing if i am going to buy a pre built system i am not going to spend more than a grand on it. i just like linuxs and windows software better for when building. i have not used or played with vista yet and dont really feel like wasting my time with it cause i no intill sp1 or 2 come out i have no need for the trouble it will offer me.
but what i like about osx hardware does not make me feel like spending more than a grand on it. the only thing apple will get me to spend more than a grand on it is there laptops. they are one of a kind they got the looks they got the speed they got the gpus. they even have boot camp to duel boot windows i am a windows kinda person i will always have it in me. there is no way i can build a laptop like the mac book pro. that is way keep me coming back to apple. but i agree there are many ways that apple can boost there sales and make it more money. but i dont see any of them happening just cause it is not there way. i think the best thing i read so far was the car compare to pcs and mac i can build a very nice car that can do any thing i want so on and soforth. but the only thing is there is always that one car you cant build and you want so bad you save money for half your life time just to get it for me that would be a macbook pro i think i might hold out for osx 10.5 wtih one of the new intel chips that are faster. andi will always build my pcs and almost never buy a pc notebook cause they are trash more than half the time.
i no this is long and a big rant almost but i think osx and linuxs are in there own worlds. windows just owns the rest and fight it self to see how fast the convert people to the new os. it is a race for microsoft to see if they can break there last recored. witch is sad and i hope one day linux or apple comes and give a more of a fight.Attached File  DSC00368.JPG   118.05KB   57 downloads

EPDM

EPDM

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Yeah but a law like that will never pass in the us/uk, but ms is getting antitrust all over europe.

Apple need to lower their prices

Or PC prices should go higher.

You know what would really suck? If we all had to buy Macs. Kiss Overclocking, Modding etc... good by and say hello to DRM, Steve JObs and overpriced everything.

Some ppl don't want to overclock or case-mod. They just want to get the bloody job done and go home to the wife, kids and play with the dog or have a few beers with the mates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy