Windows Vista

Swad

653 posts in this topic

I read alot of the replies about this. With respect to if Vista will meet all of 'our' expectations of what a good Operating System should be; I think no it will not. All the reasons about why have already been mentioned and I don't need to repeat them.

With respect to if will be economically a succes for Microsoft; I think yes it will. Unlike most of us on this forum, most windows users and especially most of the people who might actually pay for windows do not sit on the internet and read reviews, and sift through websites, and actually try out different products. I doubt more than a small percentage of people have actually tried OSX, Linux, and Windows and have that ability to compare what we like and dislike in an OS.

The Average windows user will walk into BestBuy, look at Vista pre-installed on all the HP computers, notice the cool looking Aero GUI, they'll look at the microsoft stickers telling them it's faster, more reliable, and more secure, and decide that's what they want. This means they'll either get their internet savvy buddy to hook em up with a copy, buy a copy, or decide they want to upgrade computers soon (and trust me, if windows vista is out they will not want something with xp on it)

This works because if one things is apperently, even slightly better, and all others remain the same, most people will want then newer one if confronted with a choice.

Im a windows/linux user and always have been and always will be a windows user (probly) and i read reviews, but not usuially, i sit on this forum all the time.... and im a windows user, but people wont bother to uninstall it from oem pcs... and i have tried the vista betas (msdn) and public, and it is sooooo buggy and bloated at this point i wouldnt touch it with a 3ft stick! sp1 is all i got to say to that one.... but you are right, most people will just take vista or want it because they were rased on windows (like myself, but im only 16) and or they do not have the experience or the want to switch...

max

What is all the fuzz about?

It doesn't matter (read: shouldn't matter) which OS you use on your computer. It's the applications that matter. It's what you do with your computer that matters not what OS that runs beneath it.

If Apple wants to succeed they simply need that killer-app that turns ppl to Macs. With "killer-app" I not necesarrily mean software. For all I care the IPod is that "killer-app". I'm convinced that IPod is NOT enough to convert ppl. They need more. A sexy OS is another good step. However Apple as a supposedly hardware-company should just develop more wanna-have toys you can connect to Apple computers. Or at least diversify their computers truelly from general PC's. Ofcourse this is easier when your computers have different cpu's as well as different looks.

With regards to conversion to Intel CPU's. It doesn't matter whether OSX runs on Intel CPU's or PPC. They earn their income on hardware and the Intel CPU's are simply cheaper to buy so they have more profit from their computers. And in order to use that killer-app you need a computer anyway, might as well buy that PC from Apple. Especially if looks cool too.

Again it are the Apps that matters not the OS.

Windows Vista is just TOO much. The stupid contract that Apple and Microsoft has should never have been done. What about when the contract ends? Mac users with Windows Vista on their mac system will have to remove when the contract ends.

So I'm saying Windows Vista should NEVER EVER run on a Mac. The even worst thing is Apple switching to Intel processors.

I don't hate Macs. But I wish they would just keep on PPC technology and stay only supporting Mac. And, PCs should never be-able to use PPC and stick to Intel and AMD.

Dell, keep X off your computers and stay with XP or Vista.

Mircrosoft and Apple should be competitors again! Not contract signing sissies.

Who cares if Vista supports XP drivers? GO get XP ready systems from Dell or STAY with XP.

Get rid of that dot-matrix printer and get a Vista compatable printer and computer.

My $700 dell laptop is going to be 90% compatable with vista (10% is the graphics card)

Wow, if there was a response to respond to, this would be it. I just got a few things to say. Apple HAD to switch to the intel processors because they were getting killed in the CPU speed categories. That's all there is to it.

Second is that there is NO contract that says when apple and microsoft's contract ends you will have to remove windows vista or windows xp from your intel mac. Stop spreading FUD.

It doesn't matter (read: shouldn't matter) which OS you use on your computer. It's the applications that matter. It's what you do with your computer that matters not what OS that runs beneath it.

That's true, but the OS has a lot to do with those applications, not to mention how you get to them. The OS determines the speed at which the apps run, the interface you use to connect with the app, not to mention what the app actually does on your computer.

The thing is, as has already been said several times, is that MS dominates the computer world. Whether or not their OS sucks balls or totally kicks ass, doesn't matter. After a couple years, you'll be forced to use it, that is unless you're a non-gaming mac user.

It not worth comparing OSX to Vista.

They are for two different markets.

OSX is the BMW of the computer market. Its well designed, easy to drive, but not many third party accessories are made for it.

Vista is the Ford of the computer market. Its pretty (a Ford can have a shiny coat of paint like BMWs do), has tons of after market accessories but under the hood its not as well designed nor does it get new features as fast.

In this world, Ford sells more cars than BMW for a reason. For that same reason OSX and Macs will remain a niche market. Oh well, that does not keep us from buying BMWs/Macs and using them. Its a free world. It not worth anyone's time worrying about it- just accept it and move on.

A little off topic, but to extend my analogy Linux is public transportation. Personally, I like to take the bus when I can......

Opensource is the way of the future (or we'd like to think). Here's the deal: Operating systems are totally free for people like yourself and me, software is totally free for people like yourself and me. There are a bunch of "flavours" (different "vendors" but the same OS, like Redhat and Mandrake) but basically all code is the same (one ring to rule them all), so companies don't have to develop multiple different areas of code for the same application. Microsoft is dead, apple will still be alive because all it does now is build hardware and write it's software for use with this one operating system. Companies like Adobe are still around of course (cause they make good software, which will always have a demand), they just develop for this OS.

How do they make profit? Corporations. Any for-profit company needs to license the software, hence a profit is made by who ever is developing the software and OS(es). Sit down and tell me that the bulk of Adobe's profits come from home users and photoshop elements. They don't, most home users pirate the software. Plus corporations get audited so any illegal software is found, and then they are fined $400000 or whatever.

Too bad... The day software is free and we are no longer using coal or uranium for power is a long way off.

You realize that if macs were bigger gaming platforms this would almost be a non-issue. Yeah I know some of the random apps available wouldn't work still but gaming has always been a big complaint for not making 'the switch'. I don't understand why it's not a gaming platform, it seems to have what you need, hardware 100% compatible with the rest of the hardware and 100% compatible with the OS including drivers...what's stopping it from becoming a huge gaming platform? Demand?

You realize that if macs were bigger gaming platforms this would almost be a non-issue. Yeah I know some of the random apps available wouldn't work still but gaming has always been a big complaint for not making 'the switch'. I don't understand why it's not a gaming platform, it seems to have what you need, hardware 100% compatible with the rest of the hardware and 100% compatible with the OS including drivers...what's stopping it from becoming a huge gaming platform? Demand?

The reason why Mac's aren't gaming platforms is because gamers demand the highest end graphics card, and sometimes gamers like building their own pc's, sometimes they like to buy them, having the ability to upgrade as well is a good thing to have. The Mac has none of this. And to say the iMac is good enough is a lie. Plus gamers like a bargain too. And we all know Apple doesn't allow stores that sell Mac's to compete through different prices.

Yesterday I had to install W98 for a work project. I was amazed and irritated by the now-seemingly-bugladen driver installation, inability to find VXDs that were there (no browse button, for heaven's sake!) the interminable reboots and periodic instability. Then I remembered how resistant I was to moving to XP, and how, once I'd made the move and cursed MS for changing things, I reluctantly agreed it was better.

After yesterday's experience I now realise just how much XP is streets ahead of W98. I've certainly done my share of moaning about XP and I've started doing exactly the same about Vista. I'm going to shut up, try Vista when it becomes a public release, and I have a feeling that for all my reluctance to move, I'm going to end up giving MS credit for having done a reasonably good job.

I suppose it's like a child having a toy - which it knows and loves - taken away, and a parent who believes they know best providing a new toy more suited to the current environment and the child's development. It's painful, but part of moving forward. My mum used to give my old toys away, and I hated that. Maybe that's why I'm a Luddite with advances in OS? She wasn't totally wrong, however , if I'd only ever played with wooden blocks, I wouldn't be writing on this forum ... I still have my very first teddy bear though.

Windows Vista is just TOO much. The stupid contract that Apple and Microsoft has should never have been done. What about when the contract ends? Mac users with Windows Vista on their mac system will have to remove when the contract ends.

So I'm saying Windows Vista should NEVER EVER run on a Mac. The even worst thing is Apple switching to Intel processors.

I don't hate Macs. But I wish they would just keep on PPC technology and stay only supporting Mac. And, PCs should never be-able to use PPC and stick to Intel and AMD.

Dell, keep X off your computers and stay with XP or Vista.

Mircrosoft and Apple should be competitors again! Not contract signing sissies.

Who cares if Vista supports XP drivers? GO get XP ready systems from Dell or STAY with XP.

Get rid of that dot-matrix printer and get a Vista compatable printer and computer.

My $700 dell laptop is going to be 90% compatable with vista (10% is the graphics card)

I agree with pyrate on this quote. You don't have to uninstall XP or Vista once that agreement is gone. The license with Windows is for your own and use the OS, not where to install it. Quit talking {censored}. :angry:

I'm prettu sure Bill Gates and M$ don't give a rats ass where you install their OS as long as you paid for it. That's there bottom dollor, $$$. If you paid for it you can put it on a shelf and never install or install it on apple hardware...they won't care because they already made their money. Money they wouldn't be making if you couldn't install windows on your new intel mac...

Guest Guest

I've played with the betas, and haven't been terribly impressed. I'll run Vista on a PC at work and home because it pays the bills, but my main desktop at home is likely to remain XP+windowblinds. I've got everything novel out of Vista in that combo. I don't personally need and unified media experience or whatever, as I'm already happy to use VLC on Mac, XP, and Linux. I don't much care what music player I use either, as long as it can do playlists, and isn't a resource hog. I'm one of the few folks that just doesn't care for iTunes, so Vista's iTunes work-alike or whatever you wanna call it doesn't appeal to me.

I've got the hardware to run Vista (on multiple PCs in fact), but have no care to devote it to the OS itself.

Guest Guest

Vista will give people a big impression, isn't it?

A security OS, a beautiful OS, a easy-to-use OS, a detail OS, a troubesome OS, a high requirement OS

Oops, are there any others?

Oh, yes, a expensive OS, a OS that you need to buy a new computer for it

Vista will give people a big impression, isn't it?

A security OS, a beautiful OS, a easy-to-use OS, a detail OS, a troubesome OS, a high requirement OS

Oops, are there any others?

Oh, yes, a expensive OS, a OS that you need to buy a new computer for it

You sound like a mac zealot. Here are the minimum requirements for Windows Vista:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Now as you can see, you won't have to buy a new pc in order to run it. But lets see what apple's minimum requirements are for running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

Again you don't have to upgrade to be able to run it. Now of course some might say it's not fair to compare the next version of Windows with the current version of apple's OS. But since Apple didn't post what the system requirements are for their next version of their OS, we can't really compare them. Maybe do a comparison of the current OS with the current version of Windows then. Here is the minimum system requirements of Windows XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/sysreqs.mspx

As you can see, they are relatively even when it comes to system requirements. And when apple's next OS comes out, which will probably be around the same time that Windows Vista comes out, you most likely won't have to upgrade or buy a new pc to be able to run it. If that was true, the system requirements would be set to the latest system specs that are being sold already.

In other words, quit spouting FUD. And if you want to make your arguement sound convincing, back it up with evidence, along with registering an account here. Don't just post as an anonymous user or guest. That show's you can't prove your point already.

And if you are going to make a point about RAM, even Leo Laporte, who is a mac fan insists on running with 2 GB of RAM. Which is what I run Windows with, and it runs beautifully.

Oops, that was my posting above. Forgot to login :)

Its not about the quality of the operating system in microsofts eyes, its about the quantity shipped, microsoft is a trusted brand, and its not a piticularily bad one, too.

As long as microsoft is the only consumer os that is licensed to every pc in the world, then they will make money, what computer illitarete consumer is going to go into a store and buy a mac when they can buy a cheaper windows pc.

lets face it unless apple can license their os, and push prices down of their hardware, and market it much more agrresively, then microsoft is always going to win.

matthunter3, you are right on the money. OSX = quality OS and Windows = mass market OS, low quality. If the Apple hardware was like Dell hardware in prices, MS would be in trouble. Stupid Steve Jobs can't see this.

You're right. And this is what keeps them in their niche as well. People have been saying that Macs will take over the world for years. It ain't gonna happen with apple continuing to be a hardware company here. They need to be a software company.

But atleast now they can compete against the other windows oem's since their intel mac's can run windows xp as well.

It's not that they need to be a software company, its that they need to lower there inflated prices.

the big reason for apples inflated prices is design, they employ the people to design a product, but that costs more money than dell would do for a similar product.

lets face it you need good design on consumer electronics, and maybe the imac and laptops, but they dont have to be that lavish, the better step would be lower the prices, more realistically, if an imac base was £800, then they would sell more, and make much more money beacause of quantity, then they could gradually raise prices, and have more users to buy more expensive macs.

people arnet gonna buy a mac to run windows are they, people are going to want out of the box simplicity not, the complications of reinstalling another OS, and then having to switch between them when they want to run software.

My suggestions: Better Prices, Easier windows software use, better compatibility And a more aggressive marketing campaign.

Lets face it, the typical computer consumer wants to walk into a shop like pcworld and buy a computer that already runs the software they use, or is compatible with the software they will use, at the moment the mac sint as compatible as windows.

As for games peter moneylux said it right when he said: "apple needs mor emphasis on games"

Peter Moenylux (however you spell his name) talks to much. I read that on Fable 2 he has been told to shut his mouth or legal actions will be taken. Funny. I don't listen to a man like that.

With Intel hardware in the boxes, there is no need to high prices even WITH the cool designs. I will bet you money, if I was a betting man, that Apple doesn't pay nearly as much for the hardware in the Intel Macs like the PowerPC Macs. The EFI is the only custom piece of hardware. So why should the price be so high? Arrogance in Steve Jobs. Frankly with the Intel move, Apple needs to focus more on software, not hardware. In my opinion, they have stopped being a hardware company. They offer PCs, with nice cases. Nothing more. When Jobs realizes that, then things will change.

Actually no he can't say anything on the second one. I need to find that article, I thinkg it was on IGN look there, but Lionhead and/or lawyers told him to keep his mouth shut. So yeah he has to. ;)

True, money is all that matters. I really wish I could take Apple from Jobs. In a month I would change the company forever. Cut costs of hardware, eliminate crappy bugs in hardware (well that might take longer than a month), and I would give OSX to a couple computer makers other than Apple; namely DELL and say HP/Compaq or something. Then the computer companies could make thier pcs and then put either XP, Vista, or OSX on them. Mac lovers could buy quallity Macs for less but the Macs would be slightly more fine tuned so buying a Mac had a slight perk to them.