• This topic is locked This topic is locked
654 replies to this topic

buglamp

buglamp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
You know what would really suck? If we all had to buy Macs. Kiss Overclocking, Modding etc... good by and say hello to DRM, Steve JObs and overpriced everything.

I think the UN should make an OS that works with everything. Call it UNOS and spend the profits on feeding hungry kids and finding sustainable renuable energy.

Edit: Or have we all forgotten about feeding hungry kids and finding sustainable renuable energy in light of our stupid useless technology that cant even play quake 4 cause the stupid spec said 9.0b instead of 9.0c?

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
Here's where I think apple will start to win, but they'll never do it. Allow in the clones. Until then, Microsoft will continue to win because when one manufacturer sets the prices of their products and doesn't allow any flexibility, that's where you don't have a huge market share. It's always the manufacturers that allow retail stores and online stores to compete, is where a product or type of product can dominate the market place. That's the simple truth.

When I can buy a retail copy of mac os x to run on a pc that I've built myself, that apple allows, then apple's share will grow. But other then that. It won't happen.

Besides, Mac's are closer to appliances. Which is why they work so well. And why they will always keep their niche status.

Oh and one more thing. They also have that arrogance that they should charge more because they're better. Not because they actually cost more to make. Just that they think they're better. And Steve Jobs has said that himself.

Guest: Guest_*

• Guests
I say Vista sucks. It makes XP look like the next step! The worst part is that practically no previous (XP) drivers work in Vista!

If Apple makes some good development choices for Leopard I'd like to say that Apple will tear Windows apart. OSX will soon be the OS of choice, and if Apple sells the OS apart from it's computers (at a premium price, of course) they'd secure that position for good....

• Guests

When I can buy a retail copy of mac os x to run on a pc that I've built myself, that apple allows, then apple's share will grow. But other then that. It won't happen.

If I had a dime for every time I've seen this statement or something similar to it, such as "Gee whiz, if Apple would only market OSX they'd get richer", etc... I wouldn't need to work.

The fact remains that Apple will never license OSX to end users that aren't using MACS. Why? Because Apple is a HARDWARE company. Most of Apples profits come from the computers they sell. If every Tom {censored} and Harry out there were installing OSX (legally) on their computers, then Apple would have tons of new support, driver and tech issues to contend with, which totally kills what Apple is all about - some guy said it well in a previous post; Apple computers are like appliances. They just work.

So anyway since I'm here, here's my view on the Vista/OSX comparison.

I don't really give a {censored}. Some guy said in a previous post that the argument is stupid. I agree. The thing is, as has already been said several times, is that MS dominates the computer world. Whether or not their OS sucks balls or totally kicks ass, doesn't matter. After a couple years, you'll be forced to use it, that is unless you're a non-gaming mac user. Which brings me to OSX - It's pleasant to look at. The dock is nice, and the apps are just stellar .....but hey isn't that what an OS should be? Am I onto something here? Look. Bottom line is this - Both OS's have their strong and weak points. I'm not going to list them, cause you all know what they are. Personally I like the idea of being able to use both in harmony, that way I get a full computer experience. So therefore when I save up 2500 I'm getting an imac and setting up dual boot.

Best regards,

• Guests

I say Vista sucks. It makes XP look like the next step! The worst part is that practically no previous (XP) drivers work in Vista!

Duh! Vista is in BETA! It's not fair to compare a finished product to a beta.

butelo

butelo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
sincerely i don't care of which will be the OS of the future, I'm comfortable with linux OSX and Windows, I work in CGI and nowadays almost everything I need I have it in all OS. Windows Is better than OSX in video editing tx to AVID software which is much better than Final Cut. OSX is clearly superior in security because is virus/spyware free. OSX has protools and DVD Studio pro in its score. And Linux is Free in all senses also is very secure and has very good performance In all apps I use. Maya, Softimage, Shake, Blender and so on
The only "but" is that there's no any pro video editor availiable for linux. Neither all Adobe apps of course. I hope this will change in future and I can use only Linux for all my work stuff.

buglamp

buglamp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Which one of you freakin admins deleted my post?
I should have guessed that thinking outside the box on another one of these useless exercise in futility based topics would get me nowhere

trav1085

trav1085

ハーカー

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hacking, system security, programming, apache, webserver, macs, pc, osx86, vista, dos...
Windows Vista is just TOO much. The stupid contract that Apple and Microsoft has should never have been done. What about when the contract ends? Mac users with Windows Vista on their mac system will have to remove when the contract ends.

So I'm saying Windows Vista should NEVER EVER run on a Mac. The even worst thing is Apple switching to Intel processors.

I don't hate Macs. But I wish they would just keep on PPC technology and stay only supporting Mac. And, PCs should never be-able to use PPC and stick to Intel and AMD.

Dell, keep X off your computers and stay with XP or Vista.

Mircrosoft and Apple should be competitors again! Not contract signing sissies.

Who cares if Vista supports XP drivers? GO get XP ready systems from Dell or STAY with XP.

Get rid of that dot-matrix printer and get a Vista compatable printer and computer.

My $700 dell laptop is going to be 90% compatable with vista (10% is the graphics card)

willgonz

willgonz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ok here is the deal. Assuming Apple runs its course in its current direction, OS X on Apple Hardware only. You have two things to consider.

The common statement is, "I have already spent tons of money on a Windows based machine, why would I run out and by an Apple."

And this is also a common question, "How will it run my <insert software title here>?" For example some ladies I know would benefit from an Apple, but they run this software they use with their sewing machines which only works in Windows. Sure there is boot camp and Parallels, but they don't want to mess with all that.

When 10.5 comes out, it will allow Windows Applications to be executed natively. However, I am hoping something is in the works to track and remove applications from the ability to run natively. I can see a whole can of worms opening because Windows based Malware is running on the Macs.

In short, if Apple has their OS running on white boxes and can run native Windows apps. The Apple OS would be a much better route to go. For someone who is purchasing a new PC, an Apple would be the way to go.

CoronaX

CoronaX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I read alot of the replies about this. With respect to if Vista will meet all of 'our' expectations of what a good Operating System should be; I think no it will not. All the reasons about why have already been mentioned and I don't need to repeat them.

With respect to if will be economically a succes for Microsoft; I think yes it will. Unlike most of us on this forum, most windows users and especially most of the people who might actually pay for windows do not sit on the internet and read reviews, and sift through websites, and actually try out different products. I doubt more than a small percentage of people have actually tried OSX, Linux, and Windows and have that ability to compare what we like and dislike in an OS.

The Average windows user will walk into BestBuy, look at Vista pre-installed on all the HP computers, notice the cool looking Aero GUI, they'll look at the microsoft stickers telling them it's faster, more reliable, and more secure, and decide that's what they want. This means they'll either get their internet savvy buddy to hook em up with a copy, buy a copy, or decide they want to upgrade computers soon (and trust me, if windows vista is out they will not want something with xp on it)

This works because if one things is apperently, even slightly better, and all others remain the same, most people will want then newer one if confronted with a choice.

bwhsh8r

bwhsh8r

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 2,085 posts

I read alot of the replies about this. With respect to if Vista will meet all of 'our' expectations of what a good Operating System should be; I think no it will not. All the reasons about why have already been mentioned and I don't need to repeat them.

With respect to if will be economically a succes for Microsoft; I think yes it will. Unlike most of us on this forum, most windows users and especially most of the people who might actually pay for windows do not sit on the internet and read reviews, and sift through websites, and actually try out different products. I doubt more than a small percentage of people have actually tried OSX, Linux, and Windows and have that ability to compare what we like and dislike in an OS.

The Average windows user will walk into BestBuy, look at Vista pre-installed on all the HP computers, notice the cool looking Aero GUI, they'll look at the microsoft stickers telling them it's faster, more reliable, and more secure, and decide that's what they want. This means they'll either get their internet savvy buddy to hook em up with a copy, buy a copy, or decide they want to upgrade computers soon (and trust me, if windows vista is out they will not want something with xp on it)

This works because if one things is apperently, even slightly better, and all others remain the same, most people will want then newer one if confronted with a choice.

Im a windows/linux user and always have been and always will be a windows user (probly) and i read reviews, but not usuially, i sit on this forum all the time.... and im a windows user, but people wont bother to uninstall it from oem pcs... and i have tried the vista betas (msdn) and public, and it is sooooo buggy and bloated at this point i wouldnt touch it with a 3ft stick! sp1 is all i got to say to that one.... but you are right, most people will just take vista or want it because they were rased on windows (like myself, but im only 16) and or they do not have the experience or the want to switch...

max

EPDM

EPDM

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
What is all the fuzz about?

It doesn't matter (read: shouldn't matter) which OS you use on your computer. It's the applications that matter. It's what you do with your computer that matters not what OS that runs beneath it.

If Apple wants to succeed they simply need that killer-app that turns ppl to Macs. With "killer-app" I not necesarrily mean software. For all I care the IPod is that "killer-app". I'm convinced that IPod is NOT enough to convert ppl. They need more. A sexy OS is another good step. However Apple as a supposedly hardware-company should just develop more wanna-have toys you can connect to Apple computers. Or at least diversify their computers truelly from general PC's. Ofcourse this is easier when your computers have different cpu's as well as different looks.

With regards to conversion to Intel CPU's. It doesn't matter whether OSX runs on Intel CPU's or PPC. They earn their income on hardware and the Intel CPU's are simply cheaper to buy so they have more profit from their computers. And in order to use that killer-app you need a computer anyway, might as well buy that PC from Apple. Especially if looks cool too.

Again it are the Apps that matters not the OS.

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Windows Vista is just TOO much. The stupid contract that Apple and Microsoft has should never have been done. What about when the contract ends? Mac users with Windows Vista on their mac system will have to remove when the contract ends.

So I'm saying Windows Vista should NEVER EVER run on a Mac. The even worst thing is Apple switching to Intel processors.

I don't hate Macs. But I wish they would just keep on PPC technology and stay only supporting Mac. And, PCs should never be-able to use PPC and stick to Intel and AMD.

Dell, keep X off your computers and stay with XP or Vista.

Mircrosoft and Apple should be competitors again! Not contract signing sissies.

Who cares if Vista supports XP drivers? GO get XP ready systems from Dell or STAY with XP.

Get rid of that dot-matrix printer and get a Vista compatable printer and computer.

My $700 dell laptop is going to be 90% compatable with vista (10% is the graphics card)

Wow, if there was a response to respond to, this would be it. I just got a few things to say. Apple HAD to switch to the intel processors because they were getting killed in the CPU speed categories. That's all there is to it.

Second is that there is NO contract that says when apple and microsoft's contract ends you will have to remove windows vista or windows xp from your intel mac. Stop spreading FUD.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts

It doesn't matter (read: shouldn't matter) which OS you use on your computer. It's the applications that matter. It's what you do with your computer that matters not what OS that runs beneath it.

That's true, but the OS has a lot to do with those applications, not to mention how you get to them. The OS determines the speed at which the apps run, the interface you use to connect with the app, not to mention what the app actually does on your computer.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

The thing is, as has already been said several times, is that MS dominates the computer world. Whether or not their OS sucks balls or totally kicks ass, doesn't matter. After a couple years, you'll be forced to use it, that is unless you're a non-gaming mac user.

It not worth comparing OSX to Vista.

They are for two different markets.

OSX is the BMW of the computer market. Its well designed, easy to drive, but not many third party accessories are made for it.

Vista is the Ford of the computer market. Its pretty (a Ford can have a shiny coat of paint like BMWs do), has tons of after market accessories but under the hood its not as well designed nor does it get new features as fast.

In this world, Ford sells more cars than BMW for a reason. For that same reason OSX and Macs will remain a niche market. Oh well, that does not keep us from buying BMWs/Macs and using them. Its a free world. It not worth anyone's time worrying about it- just accept it and move on.

A little off topic, but to extend my analogy Linux is public transportation. Personally, I like to take the bus when I can......

jackt283

jackt283

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Opensource is the way of the future (or we'd like to think). Here's the deal: Operating systems are totally free for people like yourself and me, software is totally free for people like yourself and me. There are a bunch of "flavours" (different "vendors" but the same OS, like Redhat and Mandrake) but basically all code is the same (one ring to rule them all), so companies don't have to develop multiple different areas of code for the same application. Microsoft is dead, apple will still be alive because all it does now is build hardware and write it's software for use with this one operating system. Companies like Adobe are still around of course (cause they make good software, which will always have a demand), they just develop for this OS.

How do they make profit? Corporations. Any for-profit company needs to license the software, hence a profit is made by who ever is developing the software and OS(es). Sit down and tell me that the bulk of Adobe's profits come from home users and photoshop elements. They don't, most home users pirate the software. Plus corporations get audited so any illegal software is found, and then they are fined $400000 or whatever.

Too bad... The day software is free and we are no longer using coal or uranium for power is a long way off.

Lkr

Lkr

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
Vista isnt that great, too slow

kernalzero

kernalzero

aesculapius

• Donators
  • 569 posts
You realize that if macs were bigger gaming platforms this would almost be a non-issue. Yeah I know some of the random apps available wouldn't work still but gaming has always been a big complaint for not making 'the switch'. I don't understand why it's not a gaming platform, it seems to have what you need, hardware 100% compatible with the rest of the hardware and 100% compatible with the OS including drivers...what's stopping it from becoming a huge gaming platform? Demand?

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

You realize that if macs were bigger gaming platforms this would almost be a non-issue. Yeah I know some of the random apps available wouldn't work still but gaming has always been a big complaint for not making 'the switch'. I don't understand why it's not a gaming platform, it seems to have what you need, hardware 100% compatible with the rest of the hardware and 100% compatible with the OS including drivers...what's stopping it from becoming a huge gaming platform? Demand?

The reason why Mac's aren't gaming platforms is because gamers demand the highest end graphics card, and sometimes gamers like building their own pc's, sometimes they like to buy them, having the ability to upgrade as well is a good thing to have. The Mac has none of this. And to say the iMac is good enough is a lie. Plus gamers like a bargain too. And we all know Apple doesn't allow stores that sell Mac's to compete through different prices.

Metrogirl

Metrogirl

Resistance is futile...

• Retired
  • 1,177 posts
Yesterday I had to install W98 for a work project. I was amazed and irritated by the now-seemingly-bugladen driver installation, inability to find VXDs that were there (no browse button, for heaven's sake!) the interminable reboots and periodic instability. Then I remembered how resistant I was to moving to XP, and how, once I'd made the move and cursed MS for changing things, I reluctantly agreed it was better.

After yesterday's experience I now realise just how much XP is streets ahead of W98. I've certainly done my share of moaning about XP and I've started doing exactly the same about Vista. I'm going to shut up, try Vista when it becomes a public release, and I have a feeling that for all my reluctance to move, I'm going to end up giving MS credit for having done a reasonably good job.

I suppose it's like a child having a toy - which it knows and loves - taken away, and a parent who believes they know best providing a new toy more suited to the current environment and the child's development. It's painful, but part of moving forward. My mum used to give my old toys away, and I hated that. Maybe that's why I'm a Luddite with advances in OS? She wasn't totally wrong, however , if I'd only ever played with wooden blocks, I wouldn't be writing on this forum ... I still have my very first teddy bear though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy