[Guide] HD 4890 in SL 10.6.3

render^

46 posts in this topic

This post was edited 2010, April 6 for clarification on the steps.

To those users that experienced lag and sticky mice on OSX 10.6.2 with QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.2.pkg and dual monitors, this issue is fixed on 10.6.3 drivers:

run Apple's Software Update,

Remove both /Extra/Extensions.mkext and /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

restart (boot: -x),

install BOTH packages included in http://netkas.org/?p=382:

Do not use Enabler kexts or Legacy kexts Remove those.

Don't forget to remove /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext.

You might also want to rebuild your kext caches (I choose to do this in boot: -s just to be safe): kextcache -v 1 -m /S/L/C/k/S/Extensions.mkext /S/L/E

(Finally, you can restore your sleepenabler.kext meklort's with Chameleon RC4 works in 10.6.3, other versions will KP).

Restart with boot: GraphicsEnabler=yes or add GraphicsEnabler to your apple.com.Boot.plist (if you haven't already).

BOTH http://mirror.netkas.org/QE%20CI%20Exotic%...ds%2010.6.3.pkg

and http://mirror.netkas.org/A%20fix%20for%20fix.pkg

I am running a vanilla install + Chameleon RC4. (Netkas's PCEFI, or boot file not tested. However, there is no reason why netkas's EFI/boot shouldn't work.) Full QE/CI acceleration and monitor sleep functional.

Happy Hacking.

FYI, this didn't work for me. I followed the instructions exactly and got a KP when booting.

I have a Gigabyte Radeon HD 4890 1GB (GV-R489-1GH-B is the exact model). I don't know if it is a reference card or not. It has two DVIs but no S-Video.

I just can't seem to get this card to play nice with any of the posted solutions. :(

Mike

BigPines what have you tried and what happened when you tried??

I tired this one and nothing happened. Card not recognized at all.

I tired this one and got gray/white screen after boot. With verbose switch it was black and white garbled squares.

I tried this on and got KP during install of QE_CI_Exotic_patch_10.6.2.pkg and got another KP on reboot (see attached). I also tried this with QE_CI_Exotic_patch_10.6.3.pkg and fix for fix on a 10.6.3 system and same thing happened - KP.

I may have tried others but that is probably most of what I have tried.

I finally got SOMETHING to work with Cindori's Zeus. I installed the ATY_init.kext via Zeus and then I applied the QECI_1063.pkg downloaded via Zeus. With this, I am able to get the display card going with QE etc but my benchmarks are dog slow and I am hearing crackling in my audio when any graphics intensive activity is going on. <_<

I am getting ready to eBay the card (or smash it with a sledge hammer on YouTube).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

BigPines - try this post 25

install 10.6.2 ATI4800Controller.kext ATIFramebuffer.kext ATISupport.kext - restart -

than ZEUS http://groths.org/zeus/zeus.zip - and go to qe/ci with full resolution on 4890,but

only dvi not work displayport how to?

Where do i get those kexts? Are they standard Apple issue? So DVI won't work with this solution?

Mike

I tired this one and got gray/white screen after boot. With verbose switch it was black and white garbled squares.

I tried this on and got KP during install of QE_CI_Exotic_patch_10.6.2.pkg and got another KP on reboot (see attached). I also tried this with QE_CI_Exotic_patch_10.6.3.pkg and fix for fix on a 10.6.3 system and same thing happened - KP.

I may have tried others but that is probably most of what I have tried.

I finally got SOMETHING to work with Cindori's Zeus. I installed the ATY_init.kext via Zeus and then I applied the QECI_1063.pkg downloaded via Zeus. With this, I am able to get the display card going with QE etc but my benchmarks are dog slow and I am hearing crackling in my audio when any graphics intensive activity is going on. :D

I am getting ready to eBay the card (or smash it with a sledge hammer on YouTube).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Where do i get those kexts? Are they standard Apple issue? So DVI won't work with this solution?

Mike

ati10.6.2.zip

The only thing I can come up with is that you might not have rebuilt the /E/E kexts cache. I got a KP as well until I had rebuilt both caches. The error you get on your screen tho, I did not have, so try my suggestion first.

Same goes to anyone who hasn't had success and has rebuilt /S/L/E caches only.

I only know how to install and rebuild caches on CLI.

With verbose switch it was black and white garbled squares.

Oh, when you get that it's most likely working, but there's a problem in your kext caches. I had the same symptom, and it was fixed after deleting all caches and rebuilding them on -s boot mode.

The only thing I can come up with is that you might not have rebuilt the /E/E kexts cache. I got a KP as well until I had rebuilt both caches. The error you get on your screen tho, I did not have, so try my suggestion first.

Same goes to anyone who hasn't had success and has rebuilt /S/L/E caches only.

I only know how to install and rebuild caches on CLI.

Thanks but I did rebuild them.

Mike

Oh, when you get that it's most likely working, but there's a problem in your kext caches. I had the same symptom, and it was fixed after deleting all caches and rebuilding them on -s boot mode.

I'm not sure what is going on but I have decided to sell this card and move on. I'll get a slower but more compatible card and I'm sure I'll be happy.

Mike

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated :D

Well, looks like i made two mistakes. First is that i was using chameleon RC3, which apparently doesn't have ATI graphics injection built-in,

second, i wasn't installing the package + fix right after the 10.6.3 update and BEFORE rebooting, am not sure if that makes a difference though.

Will try again on a clean installation and will let you guys know.

Thanks again.

before rebooting? that's not a requirement. You can reboot with -x to prevent KP, and then install the package+fix. just make sure you rebuild caches after installing the kext/fix.

Thanks but I did rebuild them.

Mike

I'm not sure what is going on but I have decided to sell this card and move on. I'll get a slower but more compatible card and I'm sure I'll be happy.

Mike

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. I recommend you go to #hdradeon in irc.osx86.hu next time you have issues.

isn't the 4870, 4890 cards natively supported in mac?

Yes, and that's exactly why the patches/fixes work. I don't think netkas writes drivers from scratch.

I finally got preview working with my Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X today!

Here's how I did it:

- I did a clean install of OSX.

- Installed Chameleon RC4

- Installed the Extra folder in root containing dsdt, smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist (without the graphicsenabler option!!) and Extensions subfolder (fakesmc, EVOEnabler, OSXRestart, LegacyYukon2).

- Rebooted into the newly installed OSX

- Installed 10.6.3 combo update package (don't use Apple Software Update!!) but didn't reboot

- Installed QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.3.pkg

- Installed Fix for a fix package

- Rebooted

Bingo!! I finally have a fully working 4890 with working preview :-)

Nice. I see. So basically if you don't use Apple's Software Update, because you simply overwrite kexts, it doesn't run any cache rebuild. So that means you don't need to rebuild caches.

This is one other possible way. I recommend everyone learn how to MANUALLY rebuild 10.6 caches though, preferably in -s. It helps a lot when maintaining/upgrading/modifying your hackintosh.

Thanks for your reply, harbri.

Let me correct myself concerning Preview, actually it does work as i can open pics. using Preview with no problem, but when i just click on the Preview icon on Dock, nothing happens, is that normal?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your success stories, harbri, hoskoau, and ToBeMac. And yes, that's completely normal. You should see that the top bar now says the active program is Preview, and the menu bar should be accessible. ;)

I got it working now.

But I cant use the dual funktion (multiple monitors).

I have one 19 inch DVI monitor and one 22 inch VGA monitor.

OS X only finds the DVI monitor.

The second one is throu a DVI-VGA converter.

Is there anything I can do to use them both?

EDIT: I fixed it!

I just switched ports.

I now have my DVI in my first and my converter in the second :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I just get squares on my screen when I boot. Whats going on? How can I fix this? Id like to just revert back to 10.6.2 kext if thats possible...

I just get squares on my screen when I boot. Whats going on? How can I fix this? Id like to just revert back to 10.6.2 kext if thats possible...

Hi render^ and all others,

first let me thank you for your guide which was actually the only one I found to be working for my 4890 card.

Did a "clean" install with update to 10.6.3 (from downloaded .1 .2 & .3 updaters)

and then tried your method

Used trick77 kexts (http://trick77.com/2010/01/19/kexts-for-asus-p6t/)

Actually it's just been quite working ;-)

my sound has disappeared (didn't take time until now to try to get it back so this point is just anecdotic)

My major problem is now that on my card there's 1 DVI + 1 VGA + 1 hdmi outputs . Only the vga remains working and I could have done with it but my 1920*1200 resolution is not proposed by the system :/ and the 1920x1200x32... line in the boot plist file is not anymore applied.

So, if someone has an idea to get this fu****g dvi port to come back to work ...

and once more thanks for the guide

J

PS: for the card the IDS are :

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9460

Revision ID: 0x0000

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First af all, thank you very much for your guide.

However, I don't manage to make my video card working properly using its displayport connector. I'm a newbee in the hackintosh world, so that's why I'm turning to you for help! :P

I have a SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E OC. the link is below:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/p...101&pid=259

I also have a cinema display 24".

Thus I plugged it to my card with a mini displayport-displayport adapter cable bought here:

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products...pter-Cable.html

I installed SL following the tonymacx86's tutorial since I have a gygabite motherboard with an i7 860. No problem during the installation. After intalling SL, I update to 10.6.3 than I used the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install for my mobo. I rebooted. Everything work: network, sound etc.

Now is the key moment: how to have the native resolution of my ACD and the acceleration? As you know, I have to install the QE/CI exotic patch for 10.6.3. That's what I did. But at the next reboot (without any -x or -v option), after the loading my screen keeps black: no image anymore. If I unplugged my ACD and plug another monitor (a DELL 24" U2410) on the DVI port this time, the desktop appears to me, with proper resolution and acceleration working.

So, to resume, it seems that the exotic patch of Netkas gets the displayport connector of my video card unabled whereas in the meanwhile the DVI port still works.

Do you have any idea to help to fix this issue? any comments, advises for further testing?...

Thank you all in advance! ;)

Hi all,

First af all, thank you very much for your guide.

However, I don't manage to make my video card working properly using its displayport connector. I'm a newbee in the hackintosh world, so that's why I'm turning to you for help! :(

Do you have any idea to help to fix this issue? any comments, advises for further testing?...

Thank you all in advance! :(

I am not current and up to date on DP cards, and whether the drivers support this or if it's fixable. When I did this guide I was a newbie too (my first mac/hackintosh), so don't be discouraged! My first recommendation would be to try rebuilding kexts on boot -s mode. As you test, see for signs of something working like If all else fails, get a non-OC card. :D Good luck and happy hacking!

Garbled screens are a sign that you need to rebuild kexts and/or permissions. Gray screens also. I am not too sure about squares.

I have a 4890 1GB card.

I've followed the instructions in the OP, and I'm still getting Kernel Panic during boot.

The difference in my system is that I am using EFI partition, so instead of /Extras/Extensions I mounted the EFI partition and am working out of /Volumes/EFI/Extras/Extensions.

I am using SL 10.6.3 and Cham RC4, I moved SleepEnabler.kext out of the /Volumes/EFI/Extras/Extensions directory. By "remove any Enablers", what Enablers do you mean exactly? I had an nVidia card before so I was using NVEnabler.kext but I removed that too.

I have a Disabler.kext in the Extensions dir on my EFI partition, do I need to disable that too?

Do I need to force SL to start up in 32bit mode for this 4890 driver to work?

I have a 4890 1GB card.

I've followed the instructions in the OP, and I'm still getting Kernel Panic during boot.

The difference in my system is that I am using EFI partition, so instead of /Extras/Extensions I mounted the EFI partition and am working out of /Volumes/EFI/Extras/Extensions.

I am using SL 10.6.3 and Cham RC4, I moved SleepEnabler.kext out of the /Volumes/EFI/Extras/Extensions directory. By "remove any Enablers", what Enablers do you mean exactly? I had an nVidia card before so I was using NVEnabler.kext but I removed that too.

I have a Disabler.kext in the Extensions dir on my EFI partition, do I need to disable that too?

Do I need to force SL to start up in 32bit mode for this 4890 driver to work?

What this means is that your chameleon is not reading the EFI and not reading the extra kexts you have there. By enablers I mean any "empty" kext that simply points your hardware address to the right driver.

I suggest you try first with /e/e on the root partition, debug, then try to migrate to EFI. This will make troubleshooting easier. No need for 32b mode.

Hey render^

A big thanks to you for your tip to install both 10.6.3 packages for netkas site. That solved my problem with my fresh install completely!

It is nice that there are people like you here who try to help one and other

Bar.

• 11 months later...
System: OSX 10.6.3 with minimal modifications. dual Xeon E5520, Asus Z8NA-D6, 12 GB ECC RAM, 4 GB Apple RAID 1 w/TM, XFX HD 4890 fully functional.

Card: (dev.id 1002-9460) HD-489X-ZSFHD-489X-ZSFC V 1.6 1GB DUAL DVI TV

Boot: Chameleon RC4 (non EFI partition) with boot flag Graphicsenabler yes in com.apple.Boot.plist.

To those users that experienced lag and sticky mice on OSX 10.6.2 with QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.2.pkg and dual monitors, this issue is fixed on 10.6.3 drivers:

Before you start:

I am running a OSX 10.6 DVD vanilla install + Chameleon RC4. (Netkas's PCEFI, or boot file not tested. However, there is no reason why netkas's PCEFI-boot shouldn't work.) Full QE/CI acceleration, both DVI ports working full resolution, and monitor sleep functional.

I am assuming you have knowledge of installing new hardware and are doing complete kext cache rebuilds (both /e/e and /s/l/e). I do not use pfix and I do not recommend it either, but some people swear by it. I think it is too important to know and understand what modifications you are doing to your machine.

This post was edited 2010, April 6 for clarification on the steps.

run Apple's Software Update,

Remove both /Extra/Extensions.mkext and /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

restart (boot: -x),

install BOTH packages included in http://netkas.org/?p=382:

Do not use Enabler kexts or Legacy kexts Remove those.

Don't forget to remove /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext.

You might also want to rebuild your kext caches (I choose to do this in boot: -s just to be safe): kextcache -v 1 -m /S/L/C/k/S/Extensions.mkext /S/L/E

(Finally, you can restore your sleepenabler.kext meklort's with Chameleon RC4 works in 10.6.3, other versions will KP).

Restart with boot: GraphicsEnabler=yes or add GraphicsEnabler to your apple.com.Boot.plist (if you haven't already).

BOTH http://mirror.netkas.org/QE%20CI%20Exotic%...ds%2010.6.3.pkg

and http://mirror.netkas.org/A%20fix%20for%20fix.pkg

Happy Hacking.

Hey Render, I realise I am bumping an old thread here but I wondered seeming as you were knowledgable on getting the dual screens to work on your 4890, are you still using this card and if so have you updated to osx 6.7 yet?

My system is in my signature, evefrything is fine except for only having one monitor recognised.

Even though I am running a much updated installation than in the OP of this thread I tried installin g the exotic.pkg and fix but they had no effect on the monitor situation.

Any tips for someone running OSX 6.7 and still using a xfx hd4890 for getting dual screens working?

• 3 months later...
Hey Render, I realise I am bumping an old thread here but I wondered seeming as you were knowledgable on getting the dual screens to work on your 4890, are you still using this card and if so have you updated to osx 6.7 yet?

My system is in my signature, evefrything is fine except for only having one monitor recognised.

Even though I am running a much updated installation than in the OP of this thread I tried installin g the exotic.pkg and fix but they had no effect on the monitor situation.

Any tips for someone running OSX 6.7 and still using a xfx hd4890 for getting dual screens working?

I have steered away from all hackintosh related play, as it takes forever to debug hardware into working. It's tedious after you've lived through it. I really don't want to go back to seeing black and garbled screens and not knowing where to start.

I am, in fact, still using the same card. A year and a half on, had to fix and oil the fan once, and soon I'll have to vacuum the case because it's overheating. Still, everything works at full speed. Octocore with HT enabled (whooping 16 virtual cores), graphics hardware acceleration working (commonly referred to as QE/CI in macs), and all thanks to a bustling community of hackers who do good work, and amateurs (like you and me) who are not scared of diving into a project knowing absolutely nothing about macs, (I had never used OSX before, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't know SOMETHING about hardware AND linux/unix/windows).

Now, I'm definitely flirting with the idea of installing 10.7 Lion. Maybe an ATI + Lion thread will be cooking soon? I'd bet there are many out there who have already been successful, so my best recommendation is to search, search, and bookmark everything. Start a thread (or post in an active one like I did: Anyone try ASUS Z8NA-D6 with 2 xeon, Simple Question) and hope the community gives you good guidance, but rely only on your own understanding of the process, instead of becoming a drone like many, who eventually give up.

I would recommend you follow all procedures and fixes described in this thread, as it is quite comprehensive. I have a similar XFX card. When working with graphics cards I like using single user mode boot (boot -s). Also check the exact hardware models in kext and System Profiler for compatibility issues. Try different monitors, connectors, etc. I did all this and everything here posted and more to make it work.