fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

I dont know if this was asked before but I just installed my 470 gtx. Its recognized. but I cant seem to get the resolution past 1024x768. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Add this line in com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1080x32</string>

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody help me with the GTX480 DSDT Dodig, I have inserted but the performance is very bad, as I and based on a DSDT GTS250, imagine that the buffers are different.

If you do not insert this code, I'm stuck on "PCI CONFIG BEGINNING": (

Someone gave me a GTX480 DSDT please.

• 2 months later...

I have done a lot of searching and am not finding a clear answer.

I got my gtx480 working under 10.6.8 using tonymac86 installer then the most recent CUDA update then the qaudro drivers.

I then install FakeSMC and plugins for nvidia to use Istat to monitor temps. I get completely spastic temps. 122cels, reboot, 55cels, reboot, 110 Cels, reboot 32c, etc...

I am getting normal temps and readings under windows 7. I am not using the hackintosh for anything graphics intensive. mostly audio stuff.

Are there any additional steps i could take to ensure my GPU's safety. Im using smbios.plist (with macro 3,1)

I am assuming the my GPU fan is running at a fixed rate because there is not real software interaction?

Any guidance would be very appreciated.

AFAIK there are no fakesmc plugins available yet that work with Fermi architecture cards.

Google/forum search AGPM or AppleGraphicsPowermanagement.kext. The kext does not load on MacPro3,1 so you will have to either add MacPro3,1 to its info.plist or change one of the existing ones to MacPro3,1. Don't forget to make a backup first.

IIRC there's also a way to create a LegacyAppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext so that you won't have to touch the original one at all. Use the search to find more information, it's all here.

Got it. Thanks for the info. I had read somewhere about the fakesmc plugins not working with fermi, but was unclear. I guess that would explain the sporadic temps. So there really is no solution to know what my card is doing other than hooking up an external temp mon?

I will look into the AGPM stuff as you suggested.

Thanks

After all my reading i am still a bit confused about determining that the AGPM will help my gtx480 run efficiently.

I understand that my system as is will not load that Kext but is the only thing I change the title under the Smbios.plist TO 4,1?

Thanks

I would not change the model identifier only. From a quick google search, here is complete DMI data from a MacPro4,1 for your smbios.plist (irrelevant data stripped):

dmi.bios.date: 03/05/09
dmi.bios.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.bios.version: MP41.88Z.0081.B04.0903051113
dmi.board.name: Mac-F221BEC8
dmi.board.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.product.name: MacPro4,1
dmi.product.version: 0.0
dmi.sys.vendor: Apple Inc.

Remember there are two ways, you can either change your model identifier (smbios.plist) or hack away at AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. What's better depends on your hardware and your skills. In some cases it is better to stick with MacPro3,1 and just add that to AGPM.kext or, if possible, a LegacyAGPM.kext instead. Hacking AGPM.kext gives you more control.

Another thing, why do you want to do this? I can't tell from your posts exactly what problem you are trying to solve.

If you are unsure whether your video card is performing as well as it should then run some benchmarks and compare with other GTX 480 owners here on IM.

Does any gtx 480 or 470 work with two monitors at the moment?

What is the problem ur experiencing? Because after updating to 10.7.2 i get black screen(display going to standby on desktop) and i have 480 with dual monitors and ATY_init.kext. Are you getting the same?

I would not change the model identifier only. From a quick google search, here is complete DMI data from a MacPro4,1 for your smbios.plist (irrelevant data stripped):

dmi.bios.date: 03/05/09
dmi.bios.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.bios.version: MP41.88Z.0081.B04.0903051113
dmi.board.name: Mac-F221BEC8
dmi.board.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.product.name: MacPro4,1
dmi.product.version: 0.0
dmi.sys.vendor: Apple Inc.

Remember there are two ways, you can either change your model identifier (smbios.plist) or hack away at AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. What's better depends on your hardware and your skills. In some cases it is better to stick with MacPro3,1 and just add that to AGPM.kext or, if possible, a LegacyAGPM.kext instead. Hacking AGPM.kext gives you more control.

Another thing, why do you want to do this? I can't tell from your posts exactly what problem you are trying to solve.

If you are unsure whether your video card is performing as well as it should then run some benchmarks and compare with other GTX 480 owners here on IM.

Thanks for your replies and help so far. To be honest my system is running great. Stable. Fast. I am more concerned about my graphics card working harder then it needs to. I don't want to burn up my gtx480. I was concerned that something might have been causing the card to run at %100 all the time however the fans are not ramping up to keep the temps down.

Just trying to keep it running efficiently.

Thanks

@agentemo1 imo I would just open your computer case door and just touch the back of the gpu since the fakeSMC plugins don't apply to Fermi cards to actually see if your 480 is running at 100%(you will feel if it is). I once had an issue like that but mine differed in the fact I use an amd card but using a certain framebuffer would make my card run at 100% all the time.

And outside of the OS, these gpus are built to tolerate the 100% stress providing they card receives adequate cooling. Not always about how long it's always running, it's about how cool it stays while it's running. (Learned this from Folding on a regular basis just thought I'd add my two cents)

@agentemo1 imo I would just open your computer case door and just touch the back of the gpu since the fakeSMC plugins don't apply to Fermi cards to actually see if your 480 is running at 100%(you will feel if it is). I once had an issue like that but mine differed in the fact I use an amd card but using a certain framebuffer would make my card run at 100% all the time.

And outside of the OS, these gpus are built to tolerate the 100% stress providing they card receives adequate cooling. Not always about how long it's always running, it's about how cool it stays while it's running. (Learned this from Folding on a regular basis just thought I'd add my two cents)

okay. Does anyone know if these cards ramp up the fan on their own or they they require OS interaction? I have this thing in an HAF932 case which is getting a good amount of air. Just not sure if the cards fan is idling and the card is 100 how much heat I'm hitting.

thanks for the feedback.

Please Help !

Lion 10.7.1 recognizes my GTX 480, but can't get a full resolution (only 1024x1280) I deleted Geforce.kext and I have NVDAFG100hal and NVDAResman kexts in /S/L/E/. I added the native resolution in org.chameleon.boot.plist but no success.

Edit: Fixed !

• 4 weeks later...

I have a clean vanilla install of lion on a gigabyte MB using Digital Dreamer's excellent guide. It has a Palit 460 and it's working fine, both monitors are seen with a full range of resolutions, 3d performance was smooth as silk in the bio-shock demo. But I am getting these wierd glitches where standard OSX interface elements like the three (red/yellow/green) dots in the upper left hand corner are replaced with placeholders of some kind.

I'm trying to show some sort of a picture, but the board software is not cooperating.

Any ideas what the problem is?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No you don't need the package. I'll repeat this for the last time:

Fermi cards have been working on Snow Leopard since the 256 series drivers were first released back in November 2010.

This means that the "Fermi package" has been obsolete since then.

If you're using a Fermi architecture card on Snow Leopard and you haven't yet installed the Nvidia Quadro 4000 drivers, you must boot without any injection method running (GraphicsEnabler=n, there can be no GFX0 device in DSDT, no enabler/injector.kext of any kind etc etc).

Note that GTX 5xx and any newer Quadro model based on that architecture are not supported on Snow Leopard - you must install Lion. Before you ask, no, there is no way around that.

If you meet the requirements (Fermi GTX 4xx or Quadro based on that generation Fermi card) go to the nvidia driver download page and download the drivers for the Quadro 4000 for 10.6.8.

If you're not on 10.6.8 you'll have to find the download page for the older Quadro 4000 drivers that match the version of Snow Leopard that you are running. This will require some googling but you'll find them eventually. They're still hosted on nvidia's site. There are drivers available for 10.6.6 thru 10.6.8. In the early days there was a driver for 10.6.5 but I have not been able to locate it. Make absolutely sure that you download and install the correct ones.

The Quadro 4000 driver installer will not run if you're not using a Mac Pro model identifier. If you're using some other model identifier, do this:

Copy the installer package off of the disk image. Right click -> show contents, find distribution.dist inside and open it with textedit. Find the model identifier stuff in there and edit where appropriate so that it matches the model identifier you're using. It'll be obvious what to do once you're looking at it. Once you're done save the file and you can run the installer.

Update to Chameleon 2.1. Just install it on top of whatever you're using now, and unless you understand what you're doing, preferably using the same install method that you did previously. I'm not going to go into the installation process in detail, there are plenty of threads here and elsewhere that covers it.

Make sure you read boothelp.txt for information about new settings and possibilities. If you've been using an older version of Chameleon, its important to note that /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist is now org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and that all instances of "manufacter" in your /Extra/smbios.plist must be renamed to "manufacturer".

Set GraphicsEnabler=y in your /Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist. You may need to add your video card's device ID to GF100Hal.kext - this is not necessary for most cards though. Not sure if you'll need to do this for a Quadro 6000.

Anyway there are plenty of guides and tutorials that deal with that so I'm not going to go into it here. Google for example 'guide for all nvidia boards' to get an idea.

If you're having problems with display recognition and other weirdness, visit the NVEnabler release thread over on the ProjectOSX forums and start reading up on "NVCAP" and "display-cfg".

Note that GraphicsEnabler also allows for video BIOS overriding, as well as custom display-cfg and NVCAP injection via /Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist.

That's all there is to it.

The "Fermi package" that you're looking for is obsolete by now and installing it on a modern Hackintosh will do more harm than good so please for the love of god stop asking about it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I am not able to get this right. I am pretty new to all of this but am trying to catch on. I have installed osx and it seems to work fine. I just cannot get my GTX 470 to work? I updated Snow to 10.6.8 and installed the Quadro 4000 drivers . I cannot find the GF100Hal.kext to change the id. I install the drivers so not sure what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Managed to get one of my EVGA GTX470's to work very, very easily.

1. Installed Fermi compatible Chameleon from the 1st post onto my thumb drive

2. Installed NVFERMI.Fix.kext from page 8 to /Extra/Extensions and wiped my kextcache

3. Did a standard install of the nividia drivers from the 1st post (just doubleclicked and installed the .mpkg, rather than using pacifist, and double checked my /s/l/e folder to make sure the files installed).

4. Made sure I had Graphics Enabler: Yes in my com.apple.Boot.plist

5. Rebooted and it worked first time!

I do have a second card, which I haven't tried yet. Unfortunately my GA-UD5 mobo short circuited somehow and fried itself so I have to wait two weeks to get a replacement. Meanwhile my two GTX470's are sitting on the shelf. Bummer!

Hi,

I tried this and when I go to install package it says the computer already has graphics solution . I have not installed the drivers yet? I Had not installed the nvidia pkg yet. I am not able to boot into system now. I will install osx again and try the above again. Not sure why it said I had Drivers installed when I did not?

Thanks,

Zephr

• 1 year later...