fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Have you tried adding the Fermi fix to S/L/E instead?

Yup tried all the above... So I ripped out the PNY GTX 465, was gonna get the PNY GTX 470, but decided to get the MSI GTX 470 instead. I stuck it in and it worked! Ha!

My conclusion is GTX 465, may not be supported? Or certain brands do not work? I don't know.

But, I can confirm MSI GTX 470 does work!

I have a Zotac Geforce GTX 465, I was wondering if anyone else has tested 465's to see if they work? It would suck taht I dropped all that money on the card and now it doesn't work :censored2:

Yup tried all the above... So I ripped out the PNY GTX 465, was gonna get the PNY GTX 470, but decided to get the MSI GTX 470 instead. I stuck it in and it worked! Ha!

My conclusion is GTX 465, may not be supported? Or certain brands do not work? I don't know.

But, I can confirm MSI GTX 470 does work!

Should've tried flashing the PNY 465 to a 470, they're one of the brands that allegedly use the same board for both and lock out the extra RAM/shaders purely in the BIOS.

Should've tried flashing the PNY 465 to a 470, they're one of the brands that allegedly use the same board for both and lock out the extra RAM/shaders purely in the BIOS.

Whhaa??? If you can, can you point me in the right direction? If not, I will google and try tomorrow. Because that could same me $100.

nvm found it, http://lab501.ro/placi-video/cum-transform...-465-in-gtx-470

Def. worth a shot before return the PNY 465

OMG!!!!!!!! AHAHAHA!

I flashed the PNY GTX 465 to GTX 470, (according to this http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/745228-gtx...ing-guide.html) reboot and that's it! :thumbsup_anim:

10.6.4 is up and running!

You guys are geniuses, and I'm returning the MSI 470 tomorrow.

If anyone else wants to try this, it should also work with Point of View cards, although it is entirely at your own risk.

If anyone else wants to try this, it should also work with Point of View cards, although it is entirely at your own risk.

There are plenty of PNY's at Frys and Microcenter. I got the PNY at MC cause it was the cheapest, didn't realize it was the best for the softmod. The risk is on them, never had a problem returning stuff. Make sure to save the ROM before updating, just in case. If it brick, just say, "I don't know why it doesn't work, I'm not that technical." Even though I do this for a living :thumbsup_anim:

Point of View cards are the most likely to show up in Europe, but they're largely limited to online retailers so returning is a bit more risky.

With other brands, the only foolproof way to check if you can flash it is to remove the cooler and see if it has 10 RAM chips on the board. Depending on your manufacturer, this may not void your warranty as some warranties permit the replacement of the cooler.

This is doing my head in! I have used the injector from page 8 for my Gigabyte GTX 470 but it gives no signal. Its just a blank screen. I have reinstalled twice now. What am i doing wrong? If someone could give me some advice that would be great. Is there any way i can undo something so i can at least get my screen back so i don't have to reinstall. I have tried safe mode but that does not work. Could i do something it in single-user mode.

Please help me.

Thanks for getting me this far at least

i had the same problem DouchePirate i have the same video card as you and i have tried the injector in /Extra/Extensions when i boot with the injector i just get a black screen so the way to get video back is reboot boot into single usernode -s at the boot and go into the directory where the injector is in and delete the kext with the command rm -r then reboot and you should have video back good luck

i had the same problem DouchePirate i have the same video card as you and i have tried the injector in /Extra/Extensions when i boot with the injector i just get a black screen so the way to get video back is reboot boot into single usernode -s at the boot and go into the directory where the injector is in and delete the kext with the command rm -r then reboot and you should have video back good luck

Thanks, just what i was after but unfortunately i just reinstalled. It doesn't take too long, i'm quite efficient at it now. Anyway I think i will try and get the device id for the gigabyte gtx 470 and add that to the injector. I'm not exactly sure what i'm doing but its worth a shot. Any help is appreciated from the more experienced people as to how i should go about troubleshooting.

Thanks guys.

Silly of me, but the device id was as i suspected, already in the injector :)

Where do i go from here? I don't know what to do. My Gigabyte GTX 470 refuses to work .

Thanks, just what i was after but unfortunately i just reinstalled. It doesn't take too long, i'm quite efficient at it now. Anyway I think i will try and get the device id for the gigabyte gtx 470 and add that to the injector. I'm not exactly sure what i'm doing but its worth a shot. Any help is appreciated from the more experienced people as to how i should go about troubleshooting.

Thanks guys.

Silly of me, but the device id was as i suspected, already in the injector :(

Where do i go from here? I don't know what to do. My Gigabyte GTX 470 refuses to work .

Funny thing, I could not get the PNY 465 to work, but once flashed to 470, it worked. My suspicion is maybe the gigabyte 470 has a custom firmware. If you are willing to try it, download the firmware update and flash it. Make sure you save the current rom first, in case you need to load it back.

I have GTX480 1.5GB. Followed the instruction on the first post always got a black screen. Just now, after done what on the first post, I installed NVFERMI.Fix.kext to E/E and used OSX86Tools to convert attached GTX480.plist to EFI-String and added to Boot.plist. After reboot, got it working finally. :D

Note: If you want to use the attached GTX480.plist, need to change below key to suit your board and NVCAP/VRAM to suit your card.

<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

post-31635-1278645409_thumb.png

GTX480.plist.zip

ok i will try the firmware update how do i go about doing it i just don't wanna stuff a card i spent $430 on lol

but i am welling to try and see if a firmware update can get this working :P

I have GTX480 1.5GB. Followed the instruction on the first post always got a black screen. Just now, after done what on the first post, I installed NVFERMI.Fix.kext to E/E and used OSX86Tools to convert attached GTX480.plist to EFI-String and added to Boot.plist. After reboot, got it working finally. :D

Note: If you want to use the attached GTX480.plist, need to change below key to suit your board and NVCAP/VRAM to suit your card.

<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

post-31635-1278645409_thumb.png

Just made my own custom efi string using the same method as you using my Gigabyte GTX 470's PciRoot code. But just as i rebooted something unrelated went wrong at the wrong time and now i have to reinstall. :thumbsdown_anim: so close!

Anyway, where do i add the string? Do i still need the graphics enabler key? a copy of your boot.plist would be greatly appreciated or if anyone else knows where to put the string that would also be great. I have googled this a lot but all the tutorials i find are all using unmodified plists so i'm a bit confused as to where to put it. I have confidence this will work. I was going to flash my card but that just led me in circles for four hours to achieve nothing. I'm still trying...

Just made my own custom efi string using the same method as you using my Gigabyte GTX 470's PciRoot code. But just as i rebooted something unrelated went wrong at the wrong time and now i have to reinstall. :thumbsdown_anim: so close!

Anyway, where do i add the string? Do i still need the graphics enabler key? a copy of your boot.plist would be greatly appreciated or if anyone else knows where to put the string that would also be great. I have googled this a lot but all the tutorials i find are all using unmodified plists so i'm a bit confused as to where to put it. I have confidence this will work. I was going to flash my card but that just led me in circles for four hours to achieve nothing. I'm still trying...

Put the string in <key>device-properties</key> section. You don't need GraphicsEnabler in Boot.plist. Here is my Boot.plist for your reference. Good luck!

com.apple.boot.plist.zip

ok i will try the firmware update how do i go about doing it i just don't wanna stuff a card i spent $430 on lol

but i am welling to try and see if a firmware update can get this working :rolleyes:

Before updating the firmware, check the card's dev id. Maybe different vendors have different id? For my instance, the firmware update changed my dev id from 0x06c4 (gtx 465) to 0x06cd (gtx 470), and it worked.

On a side note, mine has been running great with dual monitor. I still would like Cuda support. But, premiere pro playback is smooth. So I can't complain. And, I loaded win 7 x64 to confirm that the card is fully functioning as a gtx 470 :]

how do you get your device also how do u get a device string ?

I'm working from memory so please excuse my vagueness and any mistakes i will likely make.

Using a program called gfxutil (google is your friend) you can generate a device path (pci code thing) by navigating to the location of gfxutil in your directory through the CLI and then using the command

"gfxutil -f display". Its easier if you just include the location of the app in one line eg.

"/users/deuche/desktop/gfxutil/ -f display"

That will give you something like this (an example from another tutorial):

PciRoot(0×1)/Pci(0×1,0×0)/Pci(0×0,0×0)

With this you can use OSX86 Tools (google) to generate a somewhat unique string to boot with for the specific model of your gfx card based on the device path, VRAM and outputs. To do this with OSX86 Tools your looking for a button somewhat related to the key words; graphics, boot, efi etc (just look for something that might do something with your gfx card, sorry i can't be more specific i'm currently reinstalling). There is a drop down menu where you select your card. Obviously Fermi isn't on their so select "custom". You will then be prompted (i think) for the device path (copy/paste from gfxutil) and the opportunity to give it any name you want (eg. GTX 470), the VRAM size (with the gtx 470 this is 0x50000000 for 1280mb and for the GTX 480 0x60000000) and the outputs (DVI-I,DVI-I, I Think). At the end of this you can save the file as a hex to generate your own GFX.plist file like Bruce Wang for future use. But more importantly there is a really long "string" of number at the bottom that you can put at the bottom of you boot.plist. See previous posts as to how to add it.

I hope that answers your question and i'm sorry again that i could not be more specific.

I'm working from memory so please excuse my vagueness and any mistakes i will likely make.

Using a program called gfxutil (google is your friend) you can generate a device path (pci code thing) by navigating to the location of gfxutil in your directory through the CLI and then using the command

"gfxutil -f display". Its easier if you just include the location of the app in one line eg.

"/users/deuche/desktop/gfxutil/ -f display"

That will give you something like this (an example from another tutorial):

PciRoot(0×1)/Pci(0×1,0×0)/Pci(0×0,0×0)

With this you can use OSX86 Tools (google) to generate a somewhat unique string to boot with for the specific model of your gfx card based on the device path, VRAM and outputs. To do this with OSX86 Tools your looking for a button somewhat related to the key words; graphics, boot, efi etc (just look for something that might do something with your gfx card, sorry i can't be more specific i'm currently reinstalling). There is a drop down menu where you select your card. Obviously Fermi isn't on their so select "custom". You will then be prompted (i think) for the device path (copy/paste from gfxutil) and the opportunity to give it any name you want (eg. GTX 470), the VRAM size (with the gtx 470 this is 0x50000000 for 1280mb and for the GTX 480 0x60000000) and the outputs (DVI-I,DVI-I, I Think). At the end of this you can save the file as a hex to generate your own GFX.plist file like Bruce Wang for future use. But more importantly there is a really long "string" of number at the bottom that you can put at the bottom of you boot.plist. See previous posts as to how to add it.

I hope that answers your question and i'm sorry again that i could not be more specific.

With the system reporting the proper name and memory size of the video card, does Cuda and other apps recognize it? I will try the plist edit this weekend and test. As of right now my system is running smooth and I need to finish a few projects before tinkering with it.

With the system reporting the proper name and memory size of the video card, does Cuda and other apps recognize it? I will try the plist edit this weekend and test. As of right now my system is running smooth and I need to finish a few projects before tinkering with it.

This is for the people whose graphics cards aren't working with the previous solutions. As far as i know its still running without opencl and CUDA. The name is just a name, I think its just a superficial thing (i'm probably wrong), it could be called "nVidiot Fermi Fire burnin' on the dancefloor, Woah." and still work. I would not recommend doing this if your card is working.

And yes the card still runs like a gtx 285 dafootballer, had you considered reading the thread before asking?