fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

for me

1.because half of Mac programs can't run without video driver

2.i do multiboot with few linux and few win and i'm tired to change hardware every time

3.i have 3 ATI 4850 but i like more my GTX 480 (start to use cuda)

4.i can wait for better support (i get my GTX 480 on a first sale date and until now video stay on my shelf)

did you even read my post?

I can confirm that OpenCl does NOT work on a GTX285 in 10.6.4 with latest Nvidia drivers.

However, if you install those drivers in 10.6.3, OpenCl DOES work.

So it is something in 10.6.4 itself.

Also, I tried the GTX480 in the same 10.6.3 environment, still no OpenCl.

Mind you, when I run a GTX285 in my Mac, I am using it in much same way OSX86 crowd does. As my machine is 1st Gen running EFI32 firmware, it can not natively run the Mac GTX285 with it's EFI64 firmware.

Netkas created a kext called ATY_Init that allowed GTX285 to run in 1st Gen, under certain circumstances.

By merely placing the Nvidia drivers and a GTX480 into my Mac Pro, the already present ATY_Init (and an 8800GT) allowed GTX480 to run.

I did not do anything to place device id in NVResman. Netkas tells me this isn't necessary.

Point of all this is that whatever killed GTX285 OpenCl may be separate from GTX480 issue.

-- Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Here are the results for the OpenGL Extension Viewer / Xbench running on a GTX 295 Single-PCB edition at 684/1512/1180 MHz. I'm posting this here so folks can compare with the next driver update suited for GTX 470/480. I too am interested in the new GTX 470/480 Fermi architecture and will come back to this thread when the drivers are updated to fully support Fermi.

Only one GPU is used during testing for the results provided below.

-- Benchmark 1920x1200x32

1.1 2250 FPS

1.2 3371 FPS

1.3 2837 FPS

1.4 2272 FPS

1.5 2286 FPS

2.0 1580 FPS

2.1 203 FPS

-- Single Cube 1920x1200x32

1.1 4625 FPS

1.2 4655 FPS

1.3 4649 FPS

1.4 4579 FPS

1.5 4589 FPS

2.0 4414 FPS

2.1 231 FPS

-- Xbench

Quartz Graphics Test: 388.27

OpenGL Graphics Test: 315.70

User Interface Test: 601.92

CUDA 3.1 now allows one to specify the GPU devices to use via the CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES environment variable. I have mine set to 1. This allows a better balanced system for me. The user interface (OpenGL) will run on device 0 and remain fluid and fast. CUDA apps will run on device 1. This allows both GPUs on the GTX 295 to be utilized by OS X. I like this feature so very much.

In addition, I added to /S/L/E/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist. The entry is added below MacPro4,1.

<key>MacPro4,1</key>
                       <dict>
[color="#0000FF"]                                <key>Vendor10deDevice05eb</key>
                               <dict>
                                       <key>Heuristic</key>
                                       <dict>
                                               <key>ID</key>
                                               <integer>0</integer>
                                               <key>IdleInterval</key>
                                               <integer>250</integer>
                                               <key>SensorOption</key>
                                               <integer>1</integer>
                                               <key>SensorSampleRate</key>
                                               <integer>4</integer>
                                               <key>TargetCount</key>
                                               <integer>5</integer>
                                               <key>Threshold_High</key>
                                               <array>
                                                       <integer>87</integer>
                                                       <integer>87</integer>
                                                       <integer>87</integer>
                                                       <integer>100</integer>
                                               </array>
                                               <key>Threshold_Low</key>
                                               <array>
                                                       <integer>0</integer>
                                                       <integer>87</integer>
                                                       <integer>87</integer>
                                                       <integer>87</integer>
                                               </array>
                                       </dict>
                                       <key>LogControl</key>
                                       <integer>0</integer>
                                       <key>control-id</key>
                                       <integer>18</integer>
                               </dict>[/color]
                               <key>Vendor10deDevice05e2</key>
                               <dict>

The results for SmallLuxGPU (OpenCL) are posted here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1499698

post-217574-1278042994_thumb.png

post-217574-1278043015_thumb.png

post-217574-1278044301_thumb.png

post-217574-1278045183_thumb.png

I can confirm that OpenCl does NOT work on a GTX285 in 10.6.4 with latest Nvidia drivers.

However, if you install those drivers in 10.6.3, OpenCl DOES work.

So it is something in 10.6.4 itself.

Have no problems at all with my GTX285 in my 10.6.4 install. OpenGL, OpenCL - everything is working flawlessly. Got it work using GraphicsEnabler.

Definitely, the problem U have is in the new drivers by Nvidia you've installed.

Please Please Please can someone show the perfect method of installing this. I reinstalled mac 10.6.2 like 6-7 times. Did lots of R&D from google and insanely mac but it won't work. Please someone show me the perfect order of installing this. What I did was,

1. Installed 10.6.2 from DVD by hazard

2. Installed Chameleon loader from this post, then reboot.

3. Applied 10.6.4 combo update

4. Copied Sleepenabler.kext to system/library/extensions, but it showed error that it can't copy that.

5. fixed permissions from osx86tools

6. reboot

7. 10.6.4 booted

8. Extracted drivers from file given in the post to s/l/e.

9. reboot

10. never worked.

Everytime i installed i did different steps but it never worked. When installing all this i used my older gts 250. Because it gets to the desktop and gtx 480 won't. After doing these steps i would plug out gts 250 and plugin gtx 480.

Hi,

my fermi is working, but i'm unable to get the right resolution. I only get 1024x768 but i need 1920x1080. In System Profiler i can see the details from my card but no resolution change. In itunes the visuals don't work either.

Hi,

my fermi is working, but i'm unable to get the right resolution. I only get 1024x768 but i need 1920x1080. In System Profiler i can see the details from my card but no resolution change. In itunes the visuals don't work either.

Your drivers are not installed properly. This happened to me also but i cannot find the perfect solution to install it. Maybe some good people will help us.

I got a GTX480 also, not able to boot to Desktop yet. I'm also new at Mac =)

I managed to edit com.apple.boot.plist and extract the drivers to copy to s/l/e

Not sure how to clear CACHES

Also, not sure how to install fermi capable bootloade ( can someone point me to a step by step articles please?)

edited NVDAResman.kext

so no luck yet

thanks,

Madison

Excellent. I'm up and running using the instructions and ANARCHiNTOSH's NVFermi.Fix.kext. All told this was much easier than I was expecting.

Of course I'm disappointed that the performance is so poor, but I guess it's not entirely unexpected. I just hope this means NV is seriously working on the drivers and will be able to post something more suitable soon, as it's quite nice to get next-gen GPU support sooner than the 9 months it took for the Radeon HD 5000 series.

I do have 1 question though. I have a SLI GTX 480 setup, and it's not getting along with these drivers. When I have 1 card in everything is peachy, but with the second card in (and bridged), the GUI is not coming up at the end of the boot process. I don't expect SLI to work here, so is there any way of getting Mac OS X to ignore the 2nd GTX 480? Yanking a second card out every time I go Mac mode gets to be annoying.

Edit: madisonlee2010, the easiest way to clean your kext cache is probably with KEXT Utility

Edit2: And for anyone asking about CUDA, I just went through the entire Driver/Toolkit/SDK installation procedure with no luck. At this point I'd imagine the holdup is that the Fermi drivers aren't GPU computing capable, which would also explain the lack of OpenCL.

does anyone have access to the new macmini (image)? ati drivers were updated, so there is a chance that nvidia drivers were updated as well. if so, could someone upload these drivers (GeForce*, NVDA* from /S/L/E and OpenGL+OpenCL framework from /S/L/Frameworks)?

I have a SLI GTX 480 setup, and it's not getting along with these drivers. When I have 1 card in everything is peachy, but with the second card in (and bridged), the GUI is not coming up at the end of the boot process. I don't expect SLI to work here, so is there any way of getting Mac OS X to ignore the 2nd GTX 480? Yanking a second card out every time I go Mac mode gets to be annoying.

did you try any of the nvidia sli guides?

Edit: madisonlee2010, the easiest way to clean your kext cache is probably with

the easiest way is actually "sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*" :D

does anyone have access to the new macmini (image)? ati drivers were updated, so there is a chance that nvidia drivers were updated as well. if so, could someone upload these drivers (GeForce*, NVDA* from /S/L/E and OpenGL+OpenCL framework from /S/L/Frameworks)?

the easiest way is actually "sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*" :(

Thanks guys, I will give it a try tomorrow. I do have the new Minimac, let me see if I can find the drivers and upload them for you.

cheers,

M

uhm, i actually meant every file that starts with GeForce and NVDA, so GeForce.kext, GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle (okay, not really), GeForceGA.plugin, GeForceGLDriver.bundle, GeForceVADriver.bundle, NVDANV40Hal.kext (again, not really), NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAGF100Hal.kext (if it exists) and NVDAResman.kext.

but thx, this confirms that there are in fact newer drivers. versioning is pretty odd though: 1.6.18.10 (19.5.7f07) for the macmini version (build on june 1) and 1.6.16.11 (19.5.8f03) for the nvidia version (build on june 10).

edit: also checked opencl and opengl framework now.

opencl framework seems to be 2 months older than the current 10.6.4 version (wtf apple?), build version only differs by one so i don't expect any big changes. the only major difference is AMDil.dylib which is from june 1 (wink @amd/ati folks, maybe you want to try this one :D).

opengl framework is definitely newer, most parts were build in may (instead of april for 10.6.4), but version number is the same and only the build version is higher (7 instead of 1).

edit 2: to make things simpler for you madisonlee2010: excute this in terminal "mkdir macmini_drivers && cd macmini_drivers && cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce* ./ && cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA* ./" and upload the macmini_drivers folder.

Big thank you to cmf!!! :)

With his help, and some trial/error, I was able to get my 2-day old Asus GTX 480 working with my Hack. And I bought the card before finding this thread, LOL! Thinking (dreading) that I'd have to dump OS X for Win7 if I wanted to use my GTX480.

Now I just hope we can get the VSync issue and slow performance cleared up soon.

I've thumbed through a couple of them, but none of them really seem to apply to this situation since they're for the EFI Strings method and not Graphics Enabler + Injection.

uhm, i actually meant every file that starts with GeForce and NVDA, so GeForce.kext, GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle (okay, not really), GeForceGA.plugin, GeForceGLDriver.bundle, GeForceVADriver.bundle, NVDANV40Hal.kext (again, not really), NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAGF100Hal.kext (if it exists) and NVDAResman.kext.

but thx, this confirms that there are in fact newer drivers. versioning is pretty odd though: 1.6.18.10 (19.5.7f07) for the macmini version (build on june 1) and 1.6.16.11 (19.5.8f03) for the nvidia version (build on june 10).

edit: also checked opencl and opengl framework now.

opencl framework seems to be 2 months older than the current 10.6.4 version (wtf apple?), build version only differs by one so i don't expect any big changes. the only major difference is AMDil.dylib which is from june 1 (wink @amd/ati folks, maybe you want to try this one :D ).

opengl framework is definitely newer, most parts were build in may (instead of april for 10.6.4), but version number is the same and only the build version is higher (7 instead of 1).

edit 2: to make things simpler for you madisonlee2010: excute this in terminal "mkdir macmini_drivers && cd macmini_drivers && cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce* ./ && cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA* ./" and upload the macmini_drivers folder.

Hi Cmf,

Okay, thanks for your help, here is the drivers pack.

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/903235613/aa815d...586d1780015e31b

Good luck and hope we can make it work perfectly soon. =)

I just sold my 5870, damx it....!! =)

cheers,

M

thx for the drivers, madisonlee.

just tested these on my mbp. dock/stacks graphical glitch seems to be gone, but the vsync bug is still present ;)

also, as suspected, opencl framework is in fact from february (and opengl framework is newer).

will test these on my gtx 480 tomorrow.

thx for the drivers, madisonlee.

just tested these on my mbp. dock/stacks graphical glitch seems to be gone, but the vsync bug is still present ;)

also, as suspected, opencl framework is in fact from february (and opengl framework is newer).

will test these on my gtx 480 tomorrow.

Hi cmf,

Hope you can help here, I'm not quite sure how to install aserebln or chameleon, is that the reason it doesn't work? Currently It just stop loading at the start screen when I have my GTX480.

Changed it back to my 9600GT, it can't even go back to 1920x1080, it just locked at 1024x768 =(

STUCK!!

thanks,

M

Hi cmf,

Hope you can help here, I'm not quite sure how to install aserebln or chameleon, is that the reason it doesn't work? Currently It just stop loading at the start screen when I have my GTX480.

Changed it back to my 9600GT, it can't even go back to 1920x1080, it just locked at 1024x768 =(

STUCK!!

thanks,

M

get the chameleon install instructions/readme, read it, apply it ... i did post this here somewhere before, it's just 3 instructions.

oh, and it works for both aserebln and chameleon.

and then simply add that graphicsenabler stuff to your boot plist.

get the chameleon install instructions/readme, read it, apply it ... i did post this here somewhere before, it's just 3 instructions.

oh, and it works for both aserebln and chameleon.

and then simply add that graphicsenabler stuff to your boot plist.

Hi,

COOL!!! I managed to boot into desktop now but still restricted to 1024x768, anyway I can unlock this and get higher resolution?

Thanks,

M

Your drivers are not installed properly. This happened to me also but i cannot find the perfect solution to install it. Maybe some good people will help us.

I've got it to work i have had just a failure in the nvdaresman.kext. Now everything works but the v sync problem is very annoying

Well Guys i can't get this to work i have a Giga Byte 470 GTX did everything bar the strings i used the NVFERMIKEXT when i boot i get a black screen any ideas what i can do to get this working ?

I spent about 4 hrs yesterday... tried all sorts of different combination... nothing seems to be working on with my PNY GTX 465.

When I add the 0x06C010DE to NVDAResman.kext or add fermi fix kext to e/e , I get a blank screen.

Without the 0x06C010DE in NVDAResman.kext and fermi fix kext, I'm locked at 1024x768.

I had GTX 260 working fine before this, and an ATI 4850. Can't seem to get this one to work. I wish I could go back to ATI, but I'm locked into NVidia because of Premiere Pro.

I spent about 4 hrs yesterday... tried all sorts of different combination... nothing seems to be working on with my PNY GTX 465.

When I add the 0x06C010DE to NVDAResman.kext or add fermi fix kext to e/e , I get a blank screen.

Without the 0x06C010DE in NVDAResman.kext and fermi fix kext, I'm locked at 1024x768.

I had GTX 260 working fine before this, and an ATI 4850. Can't seem to get this one to work. I wish I could go back to ATI, but I'm locked into NVidia because of Premiere Pro.

Have you tried adding the Fermi fix to S/L/E instead?