fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

First and foremost, THANK YOU for this brilliant guide. I can finally dual boot Win7 and OS X without having to swap video cards!

I am having some issues with this install, however. Though OS X boots and no longer KPs when this card is installed, it is clearly not utilizing it. I did read the disclaimer, yes, but it sounds like others are getting very smooth graphics out of their Fermis.

I have a GTX470 Superclocked from EVGA.

During the install of the bootloader, I encountered the error:

sudo: ./fdisk440: command not found

I tried, per the instructions, to use ./fdisk and got the same "command not found" error.

I am running the most current version of Chameleon, which is what baffles me. I even reinstalled it and no luck!

Now I am not that fluent in bash, but what I ended up doing was just ignoring the "./" preceding the fdisk command and it worked. I'm not sure if I actually did anything, but at the very least, my GPU operates now.

Could anyone help guide me towards actually UTILIZING this card; enabling Quartz, OpenGL, resolution selection, etc?

Thank you,

-Jixtreme

I finally got this working. For some reason just installing the TonyMac drivers after these didn't work and then installing these again fixed it. However, I now run into occasional random freezes/KPs.

BTW, with my GTS450 I have a Cinebench score of 22 (not that bad) in OS X and 36 or so in Windows. Any ideas on ways to raise this?

not updated or not included?

not included.

post-42821-1298853647_thumb.png

Now I am not that fluent in bash, but what I ended up doing was just ignoring the "./" preceding the fdisk command and it worked. I'm not sure if I actually did anything, but at the very least, my GPU operates now.

Could anyone help guide me towards actually UTILIZING this card; enabling Quartz, OpenGL, resolution selection, etc?

yes, just using "fdisk" w/o the "./" is correct.

dunno what else is wrong, after you've done this.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone out there with a fully working EVGA GTX 480/570/580. So far I haven't found anyone with any of these cards working properly (with all features). I have failed using Tonymac's driver. The card freezes randomly. Please, anyone... HELP!

Thanks in advance,

I thought I had mine fully working before I tried to run Final Cut Pro.

Final Cut Pro 7 won't playback video on the preview pane. Video is a still image that refreshes after you pause the video. Audio is fine though. Scrubber bar also works. "Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - Main" and "None" are the only options available under Video Playback. Anybody else getting this? Is it a Fermi problem?

Retail_256.01.00f03v6.dmg 10.6.7 released

Tested yet? Anyone try new released drivers on 470? I will, need to setup test partition .post cinebench once tes

Tested yet? Anyone try new released drivers on 470? I will, need to setup test partition .post cinebench once tes

and I can't seem to open the package installer. not even in pacifist. Anyone else this error? I was trying to open installer on non-Quadro4k Mac, just to check out kexts.

Can try on other computer with CUDAcarda, but shouldn't I be able to look at package in pacifist? is there a gfx adapter check in the installer pkg?

or just corrupted drivers from nvidia?

post-275222-1300800451_thumb.png

and I can't seem to open the package installer. not even in pacifist. Anyone else this error? I was trying to open installer on non-Quadro4k Mac, just to check out kexts.

Can try on other computer with CUDAcarda, but shouldn't I be able to look at package in pacifist? is there a gfx adapter check in the installer pkg?

or just corrupted drivers from nvidia?

i´ve got the same error but i could open it with pacifist.

NVDAGF100Hal (1.3.4) seems to be the same as in V5

I got the same error.

You can right-click the installer, show contents (or whatever it says) and keep doing that until you get to a folder inside with three packages, GL driver, video driver and something else. Then just run those three one by one.

10.6.7 64-bit kernel and drivers mode, Core 2 Duo E8500 3.17GHz, Asus ENGTX460, Cinebench 26.21 - 26.39 fps. My old 9800 GTX+ scored 27.14.

I got the same error.

You can right-click the installer, show contents (or whatever it says) and keep doing that until you get to a folder inside with three packages, GL driver, video driver and something else. Then just run those three one by one.

10.6.7 64-bit kernel and drivers mode, Core 2 Duo E8500 3.17GHz, Asus ENGTX460, Cinebench 26.21 - 26.39 fps. My old 9800 GTX+ scored 27.14.

yes. but nothing change, it´s the old driver with new install routine (thx tony)

The Quadro 4000 drivers were updated - v7:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx...3v7-driver.html

The installer runs now, driver version is unchanged:

post-378074-1300845056_thumb.png

That's the CUDA driver version, which is a different driver/package.

Has anyone who's had problems with freezing tried the new package? I'd like to think it would help with my GTX 460, but from the looks of it, it doesn't look like its bound to help much.

That's the CUDA driver version, which is a different driver/package.

Uhh, duh? I have highlighted the relevant area for you.

shit.png

I haven't had any freezes during normal use on my 460GTX since upgrading to 10.6.7. No VLC running in the background.

Still getting the OpenGL channel exception kernel panic when playing games though.

is anyone able to get temperature readout from their Fermi? I'm not at my machine atm, however I'd like to get an idea of how cool my 470 is. My understanding is that nvclock will not work with fermi. At least my card causes complete freeze. Are there alternatives? Also. should I be setting my fan-speed or power-mode at any time during boot or for on wake? DSDT related?

I also have display issues on wake from either sleep, computer and display. Scramble-vision.

Anyway. I'd like to find solutions to these items. Hope there is help. thanks

I haven't had any freezes during normal use on my 460GTX since upgrading to 10.6.7. No VLC running in the background.

this is big news.

i bought a 460 GTX (msi hawk) for my hack, for gaming mainly in windows. it sees light use on the os x side. a bit flaky, occasional freeze and once it woke from sleep and filled the screen with noise like "tv snow" which required a forced restart. it's rare enough that i haven't bothered with any of the workarounds.

will have to try out these on 10.6.6 and then again on 10.6.7 and report back. hopefully this weekend.