fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

update 2010/06/18: it's finally working :(

how to make it work:

1. install 10.6.4

2. install the new nvidia driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-macos...f03-driver.html (you'll probably have to manually extract the kexts with pacifist and copy them to /System/Library/Extensions)

3. edit NVDAResman.kext Info.plist to include "0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff"

4. clear caches and/or ignore cache on bootup (you know the procedure)

apparently system profiler doesn't recognize the vram size, but the opengl driver does.

edit: one sad thing: opencl doesn't work yet :/

Well thats awesome, but the file on the nvidia download page is missing (file not found) so can someone provide all the necessary files please??

Something you might try is set your 9500 GT to be a dedicated PhysX card in Win7 and then have your GTX 470 be your primary video card. If that doesn't work, you can set your primary display in the Screen Resolution properties. You might even try disabling the 9500 GT from the device manager. I will be doing the same thing soon with my 9500 GT and GTX 470 when I finish my new computer build. I would first try the Physx option and then try the rest if that doesn't work.

Not sure if I can do the PhysX thing. I bought the 9500GT that doesn't have SLI on it... DOH..

Been doing some reading and it looks as though the 2 cards have to be in SLI to have the PhysX dedicated one.. I could be wrong.. I can't find basic info like that where I have been looking.

More reading ahead of me...

Note to self - read the box before buying peripherals.. :)

Sith

The 470 uses a different ID I have figured out. Now when i boot it tries to load nv100somethinblah.kext and says it registered and seems to pass correctly. But then after when it tries to load the gui I get no screen! Any suggestions?

Wow, Apple and NVIDIA don't seem to happy about this. They keep deleting the uploaded driver. :P lol Why doesn't Apple just release official support? lol Then we wouldn't have to resort to hacked driver installations. I guess time will tell when Apple will release official support.

Apple is busy with iP* stuff... they are losing much points with OSX imo...

It's 1 year almost? that ATI 5* cards series is out...

They just don't want to do it...

The 470 uses a different ID I have figured out. Now when i boot it tries to load nv100somethinblah.kext and says it registered and seems to pass correctly. But then after when it tries to load the gui I get no screen! Any suggestions?

I have the same problem...did everything as statet in the first post but when there should be a GUI I only get a blank screen, and my tft searches for an input signal... any idea what to do???

nvidia rereleased the drivers, but without NVDAGF100Hal.kext this time ;)

so don't use that one if you want to make it work.

concerning the not working gtx 470: some feedback on working gtx 480s would be nice, to see if it's a general problem or just a gtx 470 problem. device ids in all info.plist files seem to be alright.

No you definetly have to use a different device id, because it wasn't until i ran a id scan and got the right id for the GTX 470 that anything started to work. I have the same problem as the user above where i get a positive check on the 100fermi kext and then upon gui load it blanks out. I have tried both outputs so it isn't a matter of it no liking the outputs, it's just plain causing some havoc.

uhm, i totally forgot that i installed a modified bootloader that adds the gtx 480 device id (already did this a few weeks ago, so sry). try this one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1449673

unfortunately it only says that the gtx 480 device id was added, so you probably have to modify the source code and compile it again.

add this to the device id array in nvidia.c:

{ 0x10DE06CD, "GeForce GTX 470" }

i can't compile this right now, but i will do so as soon as i can.

CMF I have to say thanks for alerting us of this great advancement in Hackintosh graphics, When I get home from work I am going to try and use the latest method you just posted. I can't wait for fermi + Mac. lol

Ok, I got my Asus ENGTX-470 (0x06cd) working! Dual display and all resolutions.

Thanks to all the info I've gotten here, especially cmf.

I recompiled Chameleon for the GTX470 AND GTX480 and attached it here.

Then modified the plist of the new NVDAGF100Hal.kext and the NVDAResman.kext in the Nvidia19.5.8f03 driver to get it working

Be sure GraphicsEnabler is set to Yes in your com.apple.Boot.plist (in /Extra)

Enjoy guyz!

Chameleon2RC4_r684_GTX4xxSupport_bin.zip

PS. The nvram info in System Profiler says 0MB but that is cosmetic, I will go into that. Not sure about opencl yet.

oh WOW bitrip! This is unbelievable news! I for one have been glued to this thread for the past 2 days and waiting to hear about success from others. I have a couple of questions for you already...

1. How's the fan-speeed/temp. situation on your 470?

2. Have you tried any benchmarks or any games with this monster card? (you must be an avid gamer since you own this card, and for academic reasons you must try some games in OSX to verify if there is any noticeable improvement or not).

Last but not the least is it too much to ask (from a noob) like me to request you write a step-by-step noob guide to make this happen?

I'm literally waiting with my breath held... once i hear some answers to my questions, i'm running to the market to buy FERMI!

can't wait....

hm, general observation these days: as soon as someone mentions "fermi", nvidia haters pop up ... please go flame somewhere else kid.

there are actually people that want to use fermi, b/c of it's insane compute capabilities, something that ati lacks. they only just got even with g80/gt200 feature wise, but still lack the performance.

------

on topic: what are the chances that fermi has an efi chip, next to or instead of a pc bios chip?

man don't talk about stuff you do not know about! Insane compute capabilities? it's not about nvidia haters vs ati lovers or vice versa, apple will put in support for fermi and evergreen it's just a waiting game. think about this 2x 5770's vs 1x 5850 = faster and cheaper, you do the benchmark and homework behind it, got nothing to do with flaming

another situation you do 2x 5770's against a fermi 470 cheaper and also faster, 9% to be a near figure but it also comes down to drivers.

oh WOW bitrip! This is unbelievable news! I for one have been glued to this thread for the past 2 days and waiting to hear about success from others. I have a couple of questions for you already...

1. How's the fan-speeed/temp. situation on your 470?

2. Have you tried any benchmarks or any games with this monster card? (you must be an avid gamer since you own this card, and for academic reasons you must try some games in OSX to verify if there is any noticeable improvement or not).

Last but not the least is it too much to ask (from a noob) like me to request you write a step-by-step noob guide to make this happen?

I'm literally waiting with my breath held... once i hear some answers to my questions, i'm running to the market to buy FERMI!

can't wait....

Same here.. Got me a PNY GTX470 and would like a Noob guide how to get the drivers installed properly.

Thanks in advance..

Sith :unsure:

No joy for me, added the string into NVDAResman.kext ( put it in where a load of other strings were ), manually added the kexts and on bootup, all I get is a black screen.

Reinstalled old kexts (and removed NVDAGF100Hal.kext) and the system works again.

Created an EFI string which reports the card correctly with the right memory but again, black screen when installing new kexts.

Lastly, came across this and tried the new boot and added graphicsenabler to the plist. This time though it just stays on the apple screen with the timer thing spinning.

All I can think of is that I've put the string in the wrong place.

Running a P6T deluxe, i7-950 with a Zotac GTX480

Any help would be appreciated, started to get quite excited!

If someone has got running Fermi 4xxx also in OpenGL (not only Framebuffer 2D) then the OpenCL benchmark results High/Ultrahigh and OpenCL Pixelbench would be fine.

You can use brandnew smallluxgpu V1.7.0 to benchmark.

OpenCL raytraycing benchmark smallluxGPU 1.7.0 at macupdate.com

Post your results here (Nvidia smallluxgpu thread)

Nvidia Smallluxgpu results

Bildschirmfoto_2010_06_20_um_11.52.24.jpg

Hi Guys, i'm Frank802 and i'm italian!! Now i read the post and i have MAC OS 10.6.0 but i have modified the

NVDARasman.kext and now, my gtx 480 works at 1280x800..(strange resolution).

The questions are: 1) Can i update my MAC OS at 10.6.4? 2) How can i install the chameleon update for GTX4xx

series? And then my gtx480 will works?

Thanks!!!

Frank802 =)

I've gotten a 480 up and running with the new driver and the modified chameleon. Unfortunately (in OSX) I have two 480s. With both cards installed, I get a black screen where I would begin to see the desktop with 1 card. I understand I can't do SLI on OSX, but two cards should work separately in theory right?

Does this have something to do with the Nvidia device IDs in the modified bootloader? I don't know much about recompiling chameleon or what I would even need to add. Maybe a DSDT method? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ferangi... can you comment on performance? benchmarks? based on a single card when you get it running?

Can you also describe simply what one needs to do in order to get this running?

Did you have full acceleration with 1 card? QE etc.?

PS. The nvram info in System Profiler says 0MB but that is cosmetic, I will go into that. Not sure about opencl yet.

I'm affraid it's not just cosmetic.

Some pro-apps are based one that value to determine if -or not- they can be installed.

I think Final cut is one of them.

But it's still a great step to get Fermi working, thanks a lot.