fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

I have the GTX 460 now, I know this does not work yet.

I also have a 9500GT, is it possible I can have both my GTX 460 and 9500GT installed at the same time, having windows run off the GTX 460 and the 9500GT acting as a PhysX Card, and than under Mac OS It would use the 9500GT and just ignore the GTX 460 in my case?

I'm having trouble getting the files moved to their respective homes on my install (frameworks not wanting to be over written). Has anyone made a simple installer for this package yet ? I think it'd help out a lot.

I made an Installer to get GTX 480 working in 10.6.4 or 10.6.5. It also includes a fix for AppleHDA.kext with 2000b. It is really mean't for someone who wishes to use 10.6.5 with a working GTX 480, although it does install NVDAGF100Hal.kext as well. It can be used on 10.6.4 as well as in fact it is a combination of 10.6.4 kexts. It should basically save some time.

So if you have a different sound chip set, Don't forget to UNCHECK that option by going into "customise" during the setup screen, otherwise you will kill your sound - you have been warned.

You will still need to set Graphics Enabler and in your com.apple.boot.plist or whatever method you are using to get qe/ci and use cmf's chameleon bootloader OR use GFX strings.

LINK

It installs the following 10.6.4 Kexts:

GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.kext

GeForceGA.kext

GeForceGLDriver.kext

GeForceVADriver.kext

NVDAGF100Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

OpenCL.Framework

OpenGL.Framework

AppleHDA.kext with 2000b fix

I accept no responsibility if you trash your system!!

So, I tried these instructions and I end up with no signal. The computer seems to be running fine, but the monitor isn't getting a signal.

My hardware:

mobo: EVGA X58 Classified 3-way SLI

CPU: Intel 980X

GPU: nVidia GTX 480

Monitor: Dell 3008WFP

Could this be caused by the 2650x1600 resolution I have set?

ky13,

Do you mean you used the installer above?

No, I followed the instructions in the original post.

I will now try this installer. But I will have to try it as a USB attached drive on my MacBook Pro, because I can no longer boot my Hackintosh drive.

Are you using Graphics Enabler or GFX Strings?

Ok, after using the installer app, my drive was able to boot. But I am still stuck at 1600x1200, and I'm not sure it's actually using the nvidia drivers.

Yes, I have Graphic Enabler set to "Yes".

No, I have no EFI string. What should it be for a GTX 480?

Can you post the info from the graphics part of system profiler. I have 3 GTX 480's installed take a look here:

Does yours say rotation supported?

Wow, quite the braggart. =)

I don't get *any* 480 devices to show up. All I get is:

Display:

Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x06c0
 Revision ID:	0x00a3
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1600 x 1200
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes

You are probably going to have to use GFX strings.

Unpack the 2 files with this post onto your desktop (take them out of the folder and place directly onto your desktop)

Open up the terminal (Utilities folder)

Copy/paste into the terminal window:

cd ~/desktop

THEN HIT RETURN

then copy/paste into terminal window:

./gfxutil -f display

and hit return again.

This will reveal the path to your PCIe slot with your graphics card in. Post the path back here and I will make the strings for you. They are different for every motherboard. It should look something like this:

DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

GFX_strings.zip

You are probably going to have to use GFX strings.

Unpack the 2 files with this post onto your desktop (take them out of the folder and place directly onto your desktop)

Open up the terminal (Utilities folder)

Copy/paste into the terminal window:

cd ~/desktop

THEN HIT RETURN

then copy/paste into terminal window:

./gfxutil -f display

and hit return again.

This will reveal the path to your PCIe slot with your graphics card in. Post the path back here and I will make the strings for you. They are different for every motherboard. It should look something like this:

DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

I got:

DevicePath = PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Also, I'm running 10.6.4, not 10.6.5. Does that make a difference?

Now replace the one in your extra folder with this one below. Look in your System/Extensions folder and make sure you don't have nvinject.kext or any other form of graphics injector kext.

Should I change the "Graphics Mode" to my full resolution of 2650x1600? It always seems to default to 1600x1200 anyway.

I made an Installer to get GTX 480 working in 10.6.4 or 10.6.5. It also includes a fix for AppleHDA.kext with 2000b. It is really mean't for someone who wishes to use 10.6.5 with a working GTX 480, although it does install NVDAGF100Hal.kext as well. It can be used on 10.6.4 as well as in fact it is a combination of 10.6.4 kexts. It should basically save some time.

So if you have a different sound chip set, Don't forget to UNCHECK that option by going into "customise" during the setup screen, otherwise you will kill your sound - you have been warned.

You will still need to set Graphics Enabler and in your com.apple.boot.plist or whatever method you are using to get qe/ci and use cmf's chameleon bootloader OR use GFX strings.

LINK

It installs the following 10.6.4 Kexts:

GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.kext

GeForceGA.kext

GeForceGLDriver.kext

GeForceVADriver.kext

NVDAGF100Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

OpenCL.Framework

OpenGL.Framework

AppleHDA.kext with 2000b fix

I accept no responsibility if you trash your system!!

I have all these kexts/bundles/plugins installed and updated kext cache but I still have one remaining problem that no one seems to be able to help with. Perhaps you've run across the solution or can offer some guidance (any help would be greatly appreciated!!!)

The NVDAGF100Hal kext is loaded and registered at boot. But I'm stuck with no HW acceleration. OpenGL Extensions Viewer shows Apple renderer and reports awful frame rates (sub 100 fps). Are there any switches/logs/diagnostics or other things to try to troubleshoot/correct my problem? (The old GTX250 worked with OpenGL scores in the 2K range; got the NVIDIA renderer)

My configuration is:

• Asus P6T Deluxe V2
  • 12GB DDR3
  • Win7 on a SSD
  • 1GB SATA Snow 10.6.4 (Retail install with minimal Chameleon kext replacements)
  • i7 980x hex core
  • Zotac GTX 480
  • Dual Dell W3007 30" monitors @ 2560x1600
  • Chameleon (with GTX480 support)
  • modified DSDT for SATA IRQ fix and misc other
  • EFI strings OR GraphicsEnabler (tried both; they work the same)
  • Sound patch installed for 10.6.4 update

Thanks for any help!!!

You can do but VESA on a GTX 480 is limited to 1920 anyway. I have 2560 x 1600 in mine.

astronut, was yours a vanilla install or from one of the distros. Strings will only work if there are no injector kexts in your System/Library/Extensions folder. People quite often select injector kexts when they use a distro.

Have to nip out for a while - hope all goes OK.

Now replace the one in your extra folder with this one below. Look in your System/Extensions folder and make sure you don't have nvinject.kext or any other form of graphics injector kext.

Replacing my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist with the one you gave me worked perfectly. It even booted in 2650x1600.

post-659898-1283161297_thumb.png