fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

NVFERMI.Fix.kext

kext.png

All it does when loaded is overwrite the IOKitPersonalities section of NVDAResman.kext info.plist with a modified IOKitPersonalities, which is exactly the same, except under the header IOPCIPrimaryMatch it includes the device-ids for all fermi (465/470/480/480m):

0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff

0x06cd10de&0xfff0ffff

0x06cd010de&0xfff0ffff

With this kext you no longer need to edit NVDAResman.kext to add your device-id

To test whether it actually works, if you previously added the device-id to NVDAResman.kext, remove it.

Put it in /E/E or /S/L/E and regenerate kextcaches with pfix or kextutility

@anyone

If anyone has any other device-ids they need to make their fermi work that isnt in the NVFERMI.Fix.kext, please message it to me and i will add it to the kext. Please only send it if its known/proven to work though.

v1.1: Now injects three device-id ranges, instead of just 0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff

I can't find the actual file link for this.. could you post it again?

Thanks,

Chris.

I only tested it as 470. To be honest I am a Linux and Mac guy. I have win7-64 for testing purposes only and am pretty useless in the windoz environment.

I tested it with geekbench, CineBench, and FutureMark.

FutureMark seems to be the real test. It ran the test flawlessly and the scores are attached. The GPU got up to 74c though during the test. normally at 50-55c

I hope that helps.

r.

Thanks again. Yes that helps a bit. The only problem I am thinking about now is the memory, I think if more than 1024MB of VideoMem are used there will be a stack overflow because Windows thinks there are 1280MB all over. But I read something about a workaround with wich GTX470 users could get their card recognized as a GTX465.

The parcel service is on the way so I will be able to test the card tomorrow.

EDIT:

I browsed the NV_DISP.INF, a file of the windows drivers, and found the Dev-Id's. Don't know if thats important.

The ID's of GTX480 and 470 are equal with the here posted ones, but GTX465 has got another. For GTX460 there are also two different DevID's.

NVIDIA_DEV.06C0.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480"
NVIDIA_DEV.06C4.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465"
NVIDIA_DEV.06CD.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470"
NVIDIA_DEV.0E22.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460"
NVIDIA_DEV.0E24.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 "

Thanks for that.

Do you also get the same video scaling that I am getting?

sample

r.

Not quite sure what you are demonstrating there? Window lag?

Stuff seems to move around pretty well on the desktop here, biggest issue is lack of vsync.

Not quite sure what you are demonstrating there? Window lag?

Stuff seems to move around pretty well on the desktop here, biggest issue is lack of vsync.

There is an invisible line about a third of the way down the screen that cuts through my app windows if I drag them across the screen.

On my secondary monitor I get the same scaling if I watch a movie, but this line cuts through the video scenes at random heights of the screen.

Another way to say it might be that there is a lag between the top and bottom half of the screen.

r.

Does someone have sleep working with one of these cards?

My sleep was perfectly working with my 8800GT and modified dsdt (no extra kexts)

But since this gtx470 the screen doesn't return after sleep :(

Looking forward to your ideas.

BiTRiP

Heres to another sucesful Nvidia (Evga) 470 installation! I will update after I get StarCraft 2 installed and patched up with its performance.

EDIT:

Just played some StarCraft 2 and the game lags bad at Ultra settings. Kinda disappointed since on Windows 7 Ult. 64, the game doesn't even faze the 470 on ultra settings. I had to drop down to high, but even at high it was stressing the card.

I will update again once I install World of Warcraft and get it patched up, same with Steam and Team Fortress 2/Counter-Strike: Source.

post-318885-1280662074_thumb.png

Heres to another sucesful Nvidia (Evga) 470 installation! I will update after I get StarCraft 2 installed and patched up with its performance.

EDIT:

Just played some StarCraft 2 and the game lags bad at Ultra settings. Kinda disappointed since on Windows 7 Ult. 64, the game doesn't even faze the 470 on ultra settings. I had to drop down to high, but even at high it was stressing the card.

I will update again once I install World of Warcraft and get it patched up, same with Steam and Team Fortress 2/Counter-Strike: Source.

Even my 8800GTX 512MB can run starcraft 2 with ultra settings (except textures, didn't try yet on ultra), smoothly on windows 7.

On Mac is simply unplayable (tried to downgrade to 10.6.3 geforce kexts, game does not crash anymore, still very slow and with artifacts everywhere).

The point is... if you want to play SC2 use Windows

Here is my report about the eVGA GTX465:

I'm able to boot in low res mode if I add the Dev-ID "0x06c410de&0xfff0ffff" to NVDAResman.kext, that may be important for the Fix-Kext posted in this Thread.

But that was all I was able to get.

I tried to flash the card with a GTX470 ROM but it failed. I was only getting pictureerrors and Windows detected standard VGA card. So I'm going to send the card back and then I will order a stock GTX470 or the Gold Edition of MSI GTX465 which has definitely 1280MB and so I'm able to unlock it.

Is it possible that those leaked drivers are originally meant for the Quadro 400 GTX and not for the 470/480 GTXs?

maybe thats why we get that low FPS in games with our cards ?

I was browsing the SC2 forums, and a lot of users with authentic Macs are complaining about poor performance. So I don't think its a driver issue. As one poster said above, he to is having poor performance and he has a 8800gtx.

I'm in the process of installing WoW and TF2 right now, so when its complete, I'll test them out.

I was browsing the SC2 forums, and a lot of users with authentic Macs are complaining about poor performance. So I don't think its a driver issue. As one poster said above, he to is having poor performance and he has a 8800gtx.

I'm in the process of installing WoW and TF2 right now, so when its complete, I'll test them out.

WOW runs pretty decently on my 8800 gts, shadows were the only thing I had to turn down from max.

SC2 on the other hand... I have to quit and restart after just about every level I play or it becomes a 2-3 fps slide show.

I've got a GTX460 waiting to replace things though. Hope someone can get it working before I run out of my 30 days to return it.

COMFIRMED eVGA 460 768MB not working on 10.6.4

You got me excited until I saw the NOT WORKING part. Still no fix for this? It's mostlikely just because of the drivers not supporting it. Makes enough sense since it is a different core, and also remember that the GTX 460 got released on the 12th-13th and the drivers for window did not come in until the 17-19th. Same thing could happen with 10.6.5.

WOW runs pretty decently on my 8800 gts, shadows were the only thing I had to turn down from max.

SC2 on the other hand... I have to quit and restart after just about every level I play or it becomes a 2-3 fps slide show.

I've got a GTX460 waiting to replace things though. Hope someone can get it working before I run out of my 30 days to return it.

You can try CMD+M to change to windowed mode and then CMD+M again, the fps should be better again.

Still, I suggest to play it on Windows there is really massive difference :)

You can try CMD+M to change to windowed mode and then CMD+M again, the fps should be better again.

Still, I suggest to play it on Windows there is really massive difference :)

Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try, worked quite well. SCII runs decently enough when it isn't a slide show.

I get quite more than enough of dealing with windows at work however. The stupidity and illogical design of so much of windows offends my sense of aesthetics.

I know that there is quite a low performance with 10.6.4 in general.

but as some users reporting here that their performance with the gtx 480s are lower or barely equals the 8800GTX..

and it should not be as low as so,

so I guess the drivers are for the fermi quadro series, because it is not meant for gaming.

just a thought.