fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Hm.... just throwing it out there because it seems logical:

Gigabyte cards: Could it be because the one model of the GTX 460 that gigabyte sells has a 2 oz. PCB? Nonreference. If its the model without it, then I don't know. :/

Palit cards: Could it possibly be because of the shortened non-reference PCB? I know it is on the Sonic Platinum, but I am not sure if it is on the regular, or Sonic cards.

Just throwing it out there. Feel free to correct me. :hysterical:

If you look HERE it seems that the gigabyte 470, is based on a standard reference card although some people here reported that it gives them black screen..

so I guess its not a reference card problem then? :/

Here's an updated list that I followed to have my current working setup. Desktop operation is nice and swift, card memory is detected correctly, primary and secondary monitors are working great, and acceleration in games such as CSS and CIV IV seems to be working nicely. Lack of vsync seems to be the primary remaining issue at this point.

My system is:

EVGA GTX470

EVGA X58

i7 930 / 2.8

6GB triple channel 1600

Remove GTX470 and install 8500GT 512MB
[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Leopard retail DVD
Install Leopard
Reboot and replace [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD in drive
Boot Leopard
Run MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.4 - DO NOT REBOOT
Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] / select [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Supported CPU
select LegacyHDA ALC889 + HDAEnabler ALC889 + RealtekR100SL + System Utilities
After [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is complete install Chameleon 2 RC5_pre8 2
Manually install mozodojo's new boot_memdetect
reset display config
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*
edit com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist files as attached
shutdown
Replace 8500GT with GTX470
Connect primary DVI monitor lead to DVI2 on 470.  Connect mini HDMI on 470 to secondary monitor
After boot change primary/secondary displays through prefs.   My primary was set as the mini HDMI monitor
Run Pacifist and extract all bundle and kext files from Nvidia graphics package
edit NVDAResman.kext Info.plist to include "0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff"
Run Kext Helper and install all extracted Nvidia bundle and kext files to /System/Library/Extensions
Run Kext Helper and install NVFERMI.Fix.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
Verify in finder that files have copied to to /System/Library/Extensions correctly
Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] / select System Utilities
After [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] completes eject [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD and reboot

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

smbios.plist.zip

dsdt.aml.zip

I'm not an expert but it seems like the device ID that I'm inserting is wrong. If I go to S/L/E and delete all the files that are installed from the NVIDIA package and clear caches, I can still boot to desktop in low res mode. So it appears that those files are doing nothing.

I am in the same boat. I have tried everything. I was thinking it was the device id issue as well but I am not sure anymore. I have taken apart all of the drivers and looked inside as well as the fermi_boot. It looks to me like the data inside should work with the 0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff id and even when I change all references to 0x0e2210de 0x0e2210de&0xfff0ffff which is the exact id of my card I still boot to black screen.

So, at this point I am pointing my finger elsewhere. I am guessing that it is an issue with the nvidia driver. I am suggesting this only because the driver is supposed to be for the 285. It seems NVidia has not yet written the osx drivers for the 4xx series.

I'm no expert either, at all. That is just my guess.

Being on the bleeding edge of hardware is always going to have its compromises.

rabbit.

If you look HERE it seems that the gigabyte 470, is based on a standard reference card although some people here reported that it gives them black screen..

so I guess its not a reference card problem then? :/

Well, I was just throwing out a guess. I only made the statement about the 460, not the 470, but I don't have any reason why the Gigabyte 470 wouldn't work if it is reference. :/

I can't wait until the 1GB EVGA GTX 460 EE comes in stock again at newegg! I'll be testing with it like crazy. I have one question though. Is there any conformation if the Mini-HDMI on the GTX 400 series cards works? I'd like to know since I am also purchasing an ASUS 1080p HDMI Monitor with this card. Thanks.

Got an email from EVGA today, the 460 Superclocked EE 1GB is available now. Can buy it direct from them, for $250.

Dear EVGA Customer,

EVGA is happy to announce the product that you requested to be notified is now available.

Please click on the link below to make your purchase.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1373-AR

If you have any questions you can email us at sales@evga.com

Thank you,

EVGA Sales Team.

AppleInsider

"Another indication of upcoming Mac Pro models was noted by the site earlier this month, when the Mac mini shipped with a new build of Mac OS X incorporating driver support for high end graphic cards."

Anyone have a new Mac mini? Maybe we can take take the kext from it...

Worth a try? Or wait just a bit longer for full support.

Haven't read every post but it appears to be working for some and not others. The ones working don't seem 100% but that should change soon.

@cplnobby,

Hey, I have EVGA X58 also but congrats on getting your 470 running. Was looking for a card and good to know that its working. Instructions you gave seem clear enough.

GTX 460 Feedback

I have tried all as discussed, no happiness. Display goes into power save mode just as the desktop is suppose to appear.

Galaxy GTX 460 1 GIG with 2 x DVI to VGA connectors attached. I only have VGA on my 22" LG LCD Displays.

Chameleon bootloader and edited kexts.

Has anyone been able to get GTX 460 to work ?

GTX 460 Feedback

I have tried all as discussed, no happiness. Display goes into power save mode just as the desktop is suppose to appear.

Galaxy GTX 460 1 GIG with 2 x DVI to VGA connectors attached. I only have VGA on my 22" LG LCD Displays.

Chameleon bootloader and edited kexts.

Has anyone been able to get GTX 460 to work ?

Same here

MSI GTX 460 1G

Gigabyte GTX 460 1G OC

Tried many method but not work ....sigh

Got an email from EVGA today, the 460 Superclocked EE 1GB is available now. Can buy it direct from them, for $250.

I know it's available, it's just no available from newegg. I want it from newegg because I trust them and I am also getting a nice 23.6" 1080p monitor with this new graphics card! :)

I tried exaustively to get the GTX-460 working with no success.

Today I picked up an MSi 465-(Twin-Frozr) Tested it and no love.

Flashed the ROM to 470 and now it works beautifully.

Thanks for everyone's help.

The 465 is a much nicer card and it was only a few bucks more.

rabbit.

Damn so we guys with GTX 460 are doomed?

I sure hope not. I'm running a Gigabyte 460 1GB on win7 and was hoping that it would work on OS X. Maybe Apple will sneak in a 4xx as a BTO in August when the new Mac Pros are actually for sale or put in some 4xx support in 10.6.5. Otherwise, i guess i'll have to get something else.

so, for the record: gtx 460 doesn't work with these drivers?

I sure hope not. I'm running a Gigabyte 460 1GB on win7 and was hoping that it would work on OS X. Maybe Apple will sneak in a 4xx as a BTO in August when the new Mac Pros are actually for sale or put in some 4xx support in 10.6.5. Otherwise, i guess i'll have to get something else.

yeah, sad to see that apple didn't put in any nvidia graphics in their new imacs/mac pros :/

but i'm sure we'll see mac fermi cards soon ... maybe one of the new quadro cards.