fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Could you elaborate fdisk,dd,cp ?

and does it matter if I installed Chem RC4 and Asber via the iAtkos install ? can I still install the Chem on the first post without problems or should I start all over and insatll iAtkos again and not check off any bootloader ?

This says it better than I could.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164809

rabbit.

Hi

Is anyone able to check this edit for me?

Trying to add my device string to NVFermi.fix.kext

Card is: Gigabyte GTX-460, 768M GDD5

Device id is 0e22 so have created 0x10DE0E22de&0xfff0ffff to insert as follows.

Original

<string>0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff 0x06cd10de&amp;0xfff0ffff 0x06cd010de&amp;0xfff0ffff 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de 0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff 0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

Modified:

<string>0x10DE0E22de&0xfff0ffff 0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff 0x06cd10de&amp;0xfff0ffff 0x06cd010de&amp;0xfff0ffff 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de 0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff 0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

Just not sure if I am adding the string properly.

Original kext by ANARCHiNTOSH

rabbit.

@rabbit74

that should be fine. it might make a difference to put all letters in lowercase. if this makes stuff work for you (is a bona-fide device-id that people might want to use) then i will update the official NVFERMI.Fix.kext with it.

@anyone

if anyone has a device-id they need to make their fermi work that isnt in the NVFERMI.Fix.kext, please message it to me and i will add it to the kext. only send it if its known/proven to work though, i dont want to fill kext with garbage device-ids

@rabbit74

that should be fine. it might make a difference to put all letters in lowercase. if this makes stuff work for you (is a bona-fide device-id that people might want to use) then i will update the official NVFERMI.Fix.kext with it.

@anyone

if anyone has a device-id they need to make their fermi work that isnt in the NVFERMI.Fix.kext, please message it to me and i will add it to the kext. only send it if its known/proven to work though, i dont want to fill kext with garbage device-ids

Sorry. Not Bona-fide. :)

At the moment doing lots of configuration trials.

Tried using 0x10DE0E22de&0xfff0ffff = fail

also tried 0x0e22010de&0xfff0ffff = fail

I am currently able to boot into safe graphics mode with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, if:

I run

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Then edit resman to add the string.

If I do this and then reboot, shortly after I reboot I get the message, "NVResman was not installed correctly and can't be used".

So I am thinking that it is being ignored on boot even with -f -v which is what is allowing me to boot to low graphics mode.

If I then reinstall NVResman with kext utility I can only boot to black screen. So I am thinking if NVResman is loaded Something is still missing. Arg.

Weird.

Does that make sense?

rabbit.

In low graphics mode this is what my System profiler has to say about graphics and PCi

GeForce GTX 460:

Chipset Model:	GeForce GTX 460
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  Slot:	Slot-2
  PCIe Lane Width:	x4
  VRAM (Total):	1024 MB
  Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:	0x0e22
  Revision ID:	0x00a1
  ROM Revision:	xx.xx.xx - internal
  Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:	1024 x 768
  Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
Display Connector:

GeForce GTX 460:

Name:	NVDA,Display-B
  Type:	display
  Driver Installed:	Yes
  Bus:	PCI
  Slot:	Slot-2
  Vendor ID:	0x10de
  Device ID:	0x0e22
  Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x10de
  Subsystem ID:	0x0804
  ROM Revision:	xx.xx.xx - internal
  Revision ID:	0x00a1
  Link Width:	x4
  Link Speed:	2.5 GT/s

rabbit.

And, this is what my NVDAResman string looks like at the moment. my device id is last in the list.

<string>0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de 0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff 0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x0e22010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

Also for reference, in case it matters and I have messed things up:

I use text editor in simple mode through terminal to edit the kext plist and I used "finder-Show Package Content" to manually extract the kexts from the original nVidia install package.

rabbit.

Confirmed:

If I delete NVDAResman I can boot in low res mode, but if I put it back, I just boot to black screen.

Missing something.

rabbit.

if your card is gigabyte, try this, it won't hurt and will help anybody with the same issue if worked:

try to flash the card with another 460 vendor rom (like evga), it may work, because I noticed that all users of gigabyte 4xx cards get black screen.

stay away from overclocked roms though

and don't forget to backup your original rom.

if your card is gigabyte, try this, it won't hurt and will help anybody with the same issue if worked:

try to flash the card with another 460 vendor rom (like evga), it may work, because I noticed that all users of gigabyte 4xx cards get black screen.

stay away from overclocked roms though

and don't forget to backup your original rom.

Do you know good guide on how to do that? It isn't something I have done before and I'm a bit worried about borking the card, But a good guide might get me over my fear.

r.

Does anyone here have a confirmed working EVGA GTX 460? I saw above that someone said that people have had luck, but has anyone had first hand experience? Once the EVGA GTX 460 1GB EE comes in at newegg I'm going to grab one up.

Also, on GTX 460's what is working so far? Everything but OpenCL?

I LOVE U GUYS !!!!! :(

I had some problems, but now everything is working

i7 920

GA-X58A-UD3R

with

MSI GeForce 470 !!!!!

The first time i just installed the NVDAResman with the edited plist, but after the boot my mouse cursor appeared briefly then a blue screen took place and no matter what i did (even turning off the monitor) i couldn`t get it to work.

But then i installed the ANARCHinTosh` NVDAFERMI.Fix.kext TOGETHER with the edited NVDAResman, and repaired everything with kext utility, then i put a big smile on my face :( because it works, with QC/QE.

Ah! I installed all the kext with the Kext Utility, i don`t know if this is important...

If u guys need me to do any test, just ask me.

Sry for the bad english :D

Do you know good guide on how to do that? It isn't something I have done before and I'm a bit worried about borking the card, But a good guide might get me over my fear.

r.

well, I've searched the web for 460 bios files but didn't find one :)

there is This Forum which has online 470/480 bios files listed.

so I guess you shall make a post there and ask for some evga users to backup their bios for you..

and here is this Guide on how to backup/flash your nvidia (you have to have the latest version of nvflash)

hope this helps.

Hi, sorry for dropping here without reading the whole topic, but about the blackscreen, are you aware of the efi strings:

AAPL,boot-display (usual new nvidias have a buffer of 00)

AAPL,blackscreen-preferences (usual value of 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x08 but could have been changed)

AAPL,gray-page (usually 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00)

AAPL,gray-value(this value was a standard to all macs of 0xc3 0x8c 0x64 0x00, but have been changed in macpro4 to 0xbf 0xbf 0xbf 0x00, they can have done a new change)

I guess these 4 could have been changed in the new fermis, but do we have already a EFI fermi?

They are holding this together with mp51 against us, they are no longer looking at us a cute future buyers.

Hello, my graphics card is a Gigabyte GTX465 and I've changed the Rom by the EVGA GTX465.

The results have been negative as I still have the black screen.

I've done everything you put into the Post N º 1 + ROM change EVGA GTX465 = Black Screen.

Hola, mi tarjeta gráfica es una Gigabyte GTX465 y le he cambiado la Rom por la EVGA GTX465.

Los resultados obtenidos han sido negativos por lo que sigo teniendo la pantalla en negro.

He hecho todo lo que pone en el Post Nº 1 + cambio de ROM EVGA GTX465 = Pantalla negra.

a quick question so i can properly update NVFERMI.Fix.kext

whats the difference between these two bitmasks?:

0xffe0ffff and 0xfff0ffff

i noticed on the first post, 0xfff0ffff has been silently updated to 0xffe0ffff

is 0xffe0ffff a "wider" bitmask? (specifies a greater range of device-ids than the old 0xfff0ffff) is this because it now includes fermi-based tesla cards? i really need to know.

if it is i will change all added device-id ranges that include the old 0xfff0ffff to 0xffe0ffff

to sum up, currently the new NVFERMI.Fix.kext (v1.2) will inject these device-id ranges:

0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff

0x06cd10de&0xfff0ffff

0x06cd010de&0xfff0ffff

(potentially change all the above bitmasks to 0xffe0ffff)

0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff

(for new gtx460)

if there are other fermi device-ids that should be included can people post them please.

But then i installed the ANARCHinTosh` NVDAFERMI.Fix.kext TOGETHER with the edited NVDAResman, and repaired everything with kext utility, then i put a big smile on my face :( because it works, with QC/QE.

Doing the same thing on a clean install (and using mozodojo's new boot_memdetect) I now have my system up and running nicely. No EFI string in boot.plist, and the card/memory are detected correctly, the desktop is running great and I just ran Civ IV and Counterstrike Source, and CSS is running super slick! :D

Hi all. I was wondering if any one who is using a Fermi card, also happens to be using Cartri's Mac edition Bios on a P45 based mainboard? I'm looking to move up to this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130549

from my 8600 GTS, but would like to know if the boot loader here works with Cartri's bios. I'm unable to test it as my new Mainboard is in the mail until tomorrow.

So, anyone have any experience with Fermi + Cartri Bios?

I’m having a similar problem as Rabbit where I can only get the GTX 460 working in low res mode

Intel i7-860

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 SDRAM

I had this all working with the EVGA GTX 260 using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] w/ custom DSDT, now I’m trying Palit GTX 460 1GB Overclocking edition

1. Starting with the 260 installed and did a fresh install of 10.6.0 then installed the 10.6.4 combo update. I ran [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] w/ custom DSDT

2. Installed Chameleon RC5 from post #1 without any problems

3. boot.plist has GraphicsEnabler=Yes

4. Downloaded NVIDIA drivers from the megaupload link from post #1, extracted them with Pacifist, modified NVDAResman.kext to include "0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff" installed the kexts with the Kext Utility from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], cleared the caches with the Kext Helper.

5. On reboot, Darwin hangs at “Press any key to continue (Debug_DSDT)” and continuing leads to a black screen.

I tried repeating everything using “[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported” and then Chameleon from post #1, and then I can get things running with the 460 in low res mode and my RAM is incorrectly recognized as 512MB DDR2. There seems to be something incompatible with my custom DSDT and the Chemeleon bootloader from post #1.

I can also get the 460 working in low res mode using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] w/ custom DSDT and a Chameleon RC5 installer posted earlier in the forum (I forget where)

• Do I need to run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] before I run Chameleon from post #1?

• Did I miss the post where I can get v1.2 of Anarchintosh’s NVFERMI.Fix.kext to inject the device ID for the 460? (Do I need this or does manually editing NVDAResman work too?)

• Is it possible that my device ID string for the Palit card isn’t correct? In System Profiler is says 0x0e22. Where can I find this to be sure, using gfxutil?

• Do I need all the bundle and plugin files from the NVIDIA drivers package?

Sorry for such a long post.

I’m having a similar problem as Rabbit where I can only get the GTX 460 working in low res mode

Intel i7-860

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 SDRAM

I had this all working with the EVGA GTX 260 using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] w/ custom DSDT, now I’m trying Palit GTX 460 1GB Overclocking edition

1. Starting with the 260 installed and did a fresh install of 10.6.0 then installed the 10.6.4 combo update. I ran [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] w/ custom DSDT

2. Installed Chameleon RC5 from post #1 without any problems

3. boot.plist has GraphicsEnabler=Yes

4. Downloaded NVIDIA drivers from the megaupload link from post #1, extracted them with Pacifist, modified NVDAResman.kext to include "0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff" installed the kexts with the Kext Utility from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], cleared the caches with the Kext Helper.

5. On reboot, Darwin hangs at “Press any key to continue (Debug_DSDT)” and continuing leads to a black screen.

I tried repeating everything using “[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported” and then Chameleon from post #1, and then I can get things running with the 460 in low res mode and my RAM is incorrectly recognized as 512MB DDR2. There seems to be something incompatible with my custom DSDT and the Chemeleon bootloader from post #1.

I can also get the 460 working in low res mode using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] w/ custom DSDT and a Chameleon RC5 installer posted earlier in the forum (I forget where)

• Do I need to run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] before I run Chameleon from post #1?

• Did I miss the post where I can get v1.2 of Anarchintosh’s NVFERMI.Fix.kext to inject the device ID for the 460? (Do I need this or does manually editing NVDAResman work too?)

• Is it possible that my device ID string for the Palit card isn’t correct? In System Profiler is says 0x0e22. Where can I find this to be sure, using gfxutil?

• Do I need all the bundle and plugin files from the NVIDIA drivers package?

Sorry for such a long post.

Thats not good! really not good!

I ordered the gainward 470 and its the European palit version!

why some vendors cards does not work with these drivers?!!

somebody should investigate this further.

Thats not good! really not good!

I ordered the gainward 470 and its the European palit version!

why some vendors cards does not work with these drivers?!!

somebody should investigate this further.

Hm.... just throwing it out there because it seems logical:

Gigabyte cards: Could it be because the one model of the GTX 460 that gigabyte sells has a 2 oz. PCB? Nonreference. If its the model without it, then I don't know. :/

Palit cards: Could it possibly be because of the shortened non-reference PCB? I know it is on the Sonic Platinum, but I am not sure if it is on the regular, or Sonic cards.

Just throwing it out there. Feel free to correct me. :)

I can't wait until the 1GB EVGA GTX 460 EE comes in stock again at newegg! I'll be testing with it like crazy. I have one question though. Is there any conformation if the Mini-HDMI on the GTX 400 series cards works? I'd like to know since I am also purchasing an ASUS 1080p HDMI Monitor with this card. Thanks.

Hi all. I was wondering if any one who is using a Fermi card, also happens to be using Cartri's Mac edition Bios on a P45 based mainboard? I'm looking to move up to this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130549

from my 8600 GTS, but would like to know if the boot loader here works with Cartri's bios. I'm unable to test it as my new Mainboard is in the mail until tomorrow.

So, anyone have any experience with Fermi + Cartri Bios?

Well, I don't have experience with that BIOS or board, but I do own that EVGA card, and it works splendidly with my configuration. I have a P6T Deluxe V2 from ASUS, using a custom DSDT, and I'm very pleased. The only thing I've noticed with the card is that I have a horizontal "line" about 1/3 of the way down from the top of my screen that is an area of choppiness with moving video. Not really sure what that's all about.. but I have full resolution, Quartz, so on and so forth.

Is there any conformation if the Mini-HDMI on the GTX 400 series cards works? I'd like to know since I am also purchasing an ASUS 1080p HDMI Monitor with this card. Thanks.

Mini HDMI on my EVGA 470 works great with my latest install. I have DVI2 connected to a 24" LCD, and mini HDMI connected to a 32" LCD.

Here's my update from last night's troubleshooting.

Using a fresh install of Snow Leopard, I can get my Palit GTX 460 running in low res mode by using a combination of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported and Chameleon RC5 from post #1. GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist. I modified the NVDAResman.kext to include the 0x02010... from post #1 and installed all the files from the NVIDIA package from post #1 using the Kext Utility from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Repaired caches, shutdown, put in 460 card, reboot, and I can get to desktop in low res mode.

I'm not an expert but it seems like the device ID that I'm inserting is wrong. If I go to S/L/E and delete all the files that are installed from the NVIDIA package and clear caches, I can still boot to desktop in low res mode. So it appears that those files are doing nothing.

Somewhere earlier in this thread someone described how to use gfxutil to get the unique device ID of the graphics card and then generate a hex code to insert in the boot.plist file. I tried that before I removed all the NVIDIA kexts and it led to a black screen after reboot.

I also tried to install the NVenabler.kext with the other NIVIDIA kexts installed, and again a black screen after reboot.

Tonymac's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] nVidia-4xx.iso files didn't work for me either. Black screen again.

Unless someone else has some ideas, I'm about ready to quit and go back to using the GTX 260.

The only thing I've noticed with the card is that I have a horizontal "line" about 1/3 of the way down from the top of my screen that is an area of choppiness with moving video. Not really sure what that's all about.. but I have full resolution, Quartz, so on and so forth.

vsync does not seem to be working, I've noticed this as well.

vsync does not seem to be working, I've noticed this as well.

Would it be right to assume that the nVidia driver is to blame? I've tried switching between the two refresh rates allowed by OS X (59.9 and 60Hz), but that doesn't seem to do anything for me. It would be nice to have a solution for that...