fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Hi

A friend of mine is bringing me a Galaxy GTX 460 OC 1GIG from Hong Kong, she bought it yesterday. Will have it the 24th then we can do the testing. Price was US $220.

I installed the new drivers from the first post and see a dramatic speed increase in the OpenGL extension Viewer benchmark. I flashed my 8800Gt to a Quadro FX 3700. And looking at the first post its more than 3 times faster than GTX 480 with current drivers.

Does it work only with Fermi and Quadro cards or I can extract the kext from the package and use them as well with a normal 8800GTS ?

Does it work only with Fermi and Quadro cards or I can extract the kext from the package and use them as well with a normal 8800GTS ?

I'll answer myself... :) It works but I have no speed improvements.

Yep, too bad. If i could, i will help but this go far out of my knowledge. :rolleyes:

k, i compiled a chameleon version. hope that helps.

where can i find NVDAResman.kext Info.plist?

NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist ...

I tried many times the first post method, and only wound up with black screens. I finally did the following below and SL is booting and displaying on my machine (it seems the boot.plist ID string is key - without it, it's black screen city on all outputs).

However OpenGL seems to be not working at all (ran Counterstrike Source and it was hideous) and running Civilization 4 gave me game audio and no video output. Unfortunately even though I have the desktop, it's not real useful as is. ;)

My system is:

EVGA GTX470

EVGA X58

i7 930 / 2.8

6GB triple channel 1600

Remove 2GB of memory to reduce to 4GB
Install 8500GT 512MB
[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Snow Leopard retail DVD
Install Snow Leopard
Reboot and replace [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD in drive
Boot Snow Leopard
Run MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.4 - DO NOT REBOOT
Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] / select [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Supported CPU
select LegacyHDA ALC889 + HDAEnabler ALC889 + RealtekR100SL + System Utilities
After [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is complete install Chameleon 2 RC5_pre8 2
Shutdown
Replace 8500GT with 470 GTX

(Generate deviceID string for 470GTX)
run ./gfxutil -f display  (to find out PciRoot settings)
paste PciRoot setting line into GTX470.plist
run ./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./GTX470.plist ./out.hex
open out.hex and replace contents of <string> section in com.apple.Boot.plist

edit com.apple.Boot.plist and remove GraphicsEnabler lines
Run Pacifist and extract all bundle and kext files from Nvidia graphics package
Run Kext Helper and install all extracted Nvidia bundle and kext files to /System/Library/Extensions
Run Kext Helper and install NVFERMI.Fix.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
Verify in finder that files have copied to to /System/Library/Extensions correctly
Run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] / select System Utilities
After [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] completes eject [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD and reboot

com.apple.Boot.zip

GTX470.zip

added gtx 460 support to the bootloader. all we need now is a guinea pig :D

note that this only supports (aka inserts the correct value) for the 1gb version. someone needs to figure how to get the real memory size on fermi cards ...

I am happy to guinea pig. I just got the Gigabyte GTX 460 - 768MB-GDDR5.

I do have one noob question before proceeding though.

I have extracted;

NVDAGF100Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

and will put them in S/L/E

but not sure if these packages also need to be replaced in S/L/E?

GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceGLDriver.bundle

and

GeForceVADriver.bundle

If someone mentioned it and I didn't see it please forgive.

rabbit.

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm planning to buy an EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1024MB EE when it gets released in a few weeks. I wondering if it will be different getting it to work with Snow Leopard being it is a GF104 chip vs what the other 400 series cards use. Hopefully we'll see some results with the 768MB versions soon.

I am also planning on buying the 1GB EE version when it gets released. Has anyone gotten a EVGA GTX 460 working?

Also, there is one thing that i am scared of. A person above said that they had problems with RAM recognition. Is this still a problem? Are there any other problems with the Aserebln bootloader?

I am also planning on buying the 1GB EE version when it gets released. Has anyone gotten a EVGA GTX 460 working?

Also, there is one thing that i am scared of. A person above said that they had problems with RAM recognition. Is this still a problem? Are there any other problems with the Aserebln bootloader?

RAM detection did get messed up with the supplied bootloader, though I found a build of RC4 that both worked for Fermi and had proper RAM detection. If you'd like, I can try to find the website again, else I could simply post my boot file. Would that be sufficient?

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I think I just used the latest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with the MacPro4,1 i7 smbios and Chameleon 2.0 RC4 by AsereBLN. Works like a charm for me! I tested again and it still works, even after changing my RAM's speed in my BIOS it displays properly.

Manli GF GTX470 - work

1. 10.6.4

2.nvidia 19.5.8f03

3. NVDAGF100Hal.kext

4 add DSDT

Device (PEGP)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00030000)

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x09, 

0x05

})

Device (GFX0)

{

Name (_ADR, Zero)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x18)

{

"AAPL,slot-name", 

"PCI-E x16", 

"@0,compatible", 

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

}, 

"@0,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

}, 

"@0,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-A"

}, 

"@1,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

}, 

"@1,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

}, 

"@1,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-B"

}, 

"NVCAP",

Buffer (0x18)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 

/* 0008 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x50

}, 

"device_type", 

Buffer (0x0D)

{

"NVDA,GeForce"

}, 

"model", 

Buffer (0x17)

{

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470"

}, 

"rom-revision", 

Buffer (0x2B)

{

"nVidia GeForce GTX 470 OpenGL Engine [EFI]"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

I used original AsereBLN 1.1.9 for a while, it works flawlessly, in particular RAM autodetection; but with the AsereBLN fermi friendly compiled, one issue i have noticed is the autodetection has vanished. For the moment, it's the only thing i have noticed.

Almost there. Got all the kexts, Device iDs and Chameleon installed. But still can only boot to low graphics mode.

I think my Device ID might differ.

I have the Gigabyte GTX-460, 768MB and in profiler I see a slightly different device id

Display:

Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0e22
 Revision ID:	0x00a1

I attached my iOReg info. If someone knows how to check the device id string and could let me know how it's done or where to find more info on finding the device id I would really appreciate it.

currently using device id string: "0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff" for the GTX-460 1G

rabbit.

Gigabyte_GTX_460_768.GDDR5.ioReg.info.zip

Almost there. Got all the kexts, Device iDs and Chameleon installed. But still can only boot to low graphics mode.

I think my Device ID might differ.

I have the Gigabyte GTX-460, 768MB and in profiler I see a slightly different device id

Display:

Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0e22
 Revision ID:	0x00a1

I attached my iOReg info. If someone knows how to check the device id string and could let me know how it's done or where to find more info on finding the device id I would really appreciate it.

currently using device id string: "0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff" for the GTX-460 1G

rabbit.

try to add 0x0e2210de Go to 1st post.

RAM detection did get messed up with the supplied bootloader, though I found a build of RC4 that both worked for Fermi and had proper RAM detection. If you'd like, I can try to find the website again, else I could simply post my boot file. Would that be sufficient?

as far as i can see the aserebln git repository doesn't include the auto ram detection. thats why i compiled a fermi capable chameleon svn-rc5. i suppose this one has ram detection, but i sadly can't test anything right now.

-> can someone test the new chameleon bootloader in the first post and verify that it has ram detection?

concerning dsdt modifications: i don't think you need these.

@gtx 460 folks: "0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff" is not for you, you need "0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff" as stated in the first post ...

also, the bootloader only supports the 1gb version, well, or only injects the 1gb info. dunno what happens if you use it with the 768mb card.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I think I just used the latest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with the MacPro4,1 i7 smbios and Chameleon 2.0 RC4 by AsereBLN. Works like a charm for me! I tested again and it still works, even after changing my RAM's speed in my BIOS it displays properly.

Well Currently I am running MacPro4,1 i5 smbios, and 2.0 RC4 bootloader by asereBLN from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. RAM detection does work on mine now. So are you saying that you have RAM detection and your running a GTX 4xx card?

I used original AsereBLN 1.1.9 for a while, it works flawlessly, in particular RAM autodetection; but with the AsereBLN fermi friendly compiled, one issue i have noticed is the autodetection has vanished. For the moment, it's the only thing i have noticed.

Can I divert you to the quote above me? I think we may have found something. But in particular, what are the changes made to the AsereBLN bootloader that fermi cards may work?

as far as i can see the aserebln git repository doesn't include the auto ram detection. thats why i compiled a fermi capable chameleon svn-rc5. i suppose this one has ram detection, but i sadly can't test anything right now.

-> can someone test the new chameleon bootloader in the first post and verify that it has ram detection?

The 1.1.9 AsereBLN bootloader has RAM detection, but are you talking about the fermi capable bootloader? Also, look two above.

Thanks.

I tried to manually extract the kext after installing the Nvidia installer and it states that it is already there and do I want to replace it so I click no since it's already there.

I am using "Pref Setter" to edit the nvdar....info.plist device id and I manually add the id number "0x06 etc" but when I try to save it it will not save , am I putting the id in wrong ?

I tried to manually extract the kext after installing the Nvidia installer and it states that it is already there and do I want to replace it so I click no since it's already there.

I am using "Pref Setter" to edit the nvdar....info.plist device id and I manually add the id number "0x06 etc" but when I try to save it it will not save , am I putting the id in wrong ?

I used kext helper to install them. No need to boot with -f.

Oh {censored}, I didn't edit the device IDs, but it's still recognized. How can that be?

Oh ya, no hardware acceleration, Cinebench runs very slow on OpenGL test.

-Tom

Here I've made latest RC5 with Mem detection working and fermi support (also included SSDTs override patch).

Great! I'd love to try it. Would you mind posting it? I checked the link and saw the change logs but not the files. Maybe I just need a nap.

rabbit.

tmongkol - Thanks for the suggestion.

try to add 0x0e2210de

I tried it. Great thought. Unfortunately still booting to black screen.

If someone could point me in the direction of a post about identifying the device string for my card, (Gigabyte GTX-460, 768MB), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.

rabbit

I used kext helper to install them. No need to boot with -f.

Oh {censored}, I didn't edit the device IDs, but it's still recognized. How can that be?

Oh ya, no hardware acceleration, Cinebench runs very slow on OpenGL test.

-Tom

That wasn't an answer to me was it ?

So, is it now confirmed that the Gigabyte GTX 470 not working ?!

I was about to go buy one, but now I have doubts...

In my country we have only 2 GTX 470 cards available: Gigabyte and Gainward..

which should I buy??

does the Gainward GTX 470 work ?

can anyone confirm it working?

thanks..