fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Oh man, I still can't get it too work. I just keep getting a black screen. I'm raging so hard now. I have tried everything i could and have easily wasted 20 hours doing different methods over and over again, either i can't follow instructions properly or my card just DOES NOT WANT TO WORK. Could someone please pick up my low, low spirits. I'm a broken man, i've never given up on any computer based endeavor like this but i just can't fix it.

Please someone, recommend anything besides flashing my card.

I could cry.

Oh man, I still can't get it too work. I just keep getting a black screen. I'm raging so hard now. I have tried everything i could and have easily wasted 20 hours doing different methods over and over again, either i can't follow instructions properly or my card just DOES NOT WANT TO WORK. Could someone please pick up my low, low spirits. I'm a broken man, i've never given up on any computer based endeavor like this but i just can't fix it.

Please someone, recommend anything besides flashing my card.

I could cry.

Hi,

did have changed your bootloader(just exchange the file boot from the new loader in folder i386 with the one in your osx root partition) and installed thr new driver and edited the nvdaresman.kext with your devid and enabled the graphicsenabler feature in the bootloader or generated your own string with osx86 tools with this tool you can also clear chaches, when you don't know how to when you have done all that it should run :)

At first i had made the failure i had the wrong devid in the nvdaresman.kext but after editing it everything runs

i hope i could help you

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard for the first time, and cannot get the initial installation to go through; I believe it has to do with my GTX 470. Using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], the bootloader displayed that Nvidia ROM patching failed. From there the Apple screen comes up, like installation is about to commence, then I get a window saying to power off my computer. I've triple checked my BIOS settings to make sure they are properly set.

Any ideas? I'm about at the end of my rope.

System Specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard

Intel Core i7 930

Nvidia GTX 470

Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM 4GB

WD 1.5 TB HDD

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard for the first time, and cannot get the initial installation to go through; I believe it has to do with my GTX 470. Using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], the bootloader displayed that Nvidia ROM patching failed. From there the Apple screen comes up, like installation is about to commence, then I get a window saying to power off my computer. I've triple checked my BIOS settings to make sure they are properly set.

Any ideas? I'm about at the end of my rope.

System Specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard

Intel Core i7 930

Nvidia GTX 470

Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM 4GB

WD 1.5 TB HDD

Try using a card known to work to get fully installed and then trouble shoot... just trying to help. Same thing happen before every new generation. I used a 7300gt to get @ that time Leopard working when 48XX weren't working very well with only limited use.

Hi,

did have changed your bootloader(just exchange the file boot from the new loader in folder i386 with the one in your osx root partition) and installed thr new driver and edited the nvdaresman.kext with your devid and enabled the graphicsenabler feature in the bootloader or generated your own string with osx86 tools with this tool you can also clear chaches, when you don't know how to when you have done all that it should run :(

At first i had made the failure i had the wrong devid in the nvdaresman.kext but after editing it everything runs

i hope i could help you

As far as i can tell this is what I'm doing but i keep getting a black screen. My device ID is 06cd and i added it to nvdaresman.kext by pasting in 0x06cd10de&0xfff0ffff at the end (Is this right). Then i run Kext Utility. Could you go through installing the bootloader and editing the nvdaresman.kext in gratuitous detail. :) I installed the chameleon bootloader by following the README but do have to somehow combine it with the asereBLN's. I'm so confused, information overload.

As far as i can tell this is what I'm doing but i keep getting a black screen. My device ID is 06cd and i added it to nvdaresman.kext by pasting in 0x06cd10de&0xfff0ffff at the end (Is this right). Then i run Kext Utility. Could you go through installing the bootloader and editing the nvdaresman.kext in gratuitous detail. :P I installed the chameleon bootloader by following the README but do have to somehow combine it with the asereBLN's. I'm so confused, information overload.

Are you able to see that chameleon bootloader. When you have already installed chameleon as your booetloader you just need to replace the boot file. Do you have installed the new driver kext with pacifist?

I think you need a new istall. Do you have a different graphic's card which is supported? When you have a different card then install everything normal exchange only the file boot from the new chameleon install the new driver maybe insert your already edited nvdaresman.kext clear caches and repair permissions with osx86tools and last but not least edit your apple.boot.com.plist with graphicsenabler yes. When the rest of your system is supported it should run.

What is your system

We have the same devid so here is my nvdaresman http://rapidshare.com/files/406316645/NVDAResman.kext.zip

i am uploading all the kext that are needed

so here are all the needed kext maybe you need to make invisible things visible to replace the boot filt but you can do this easily with a program like changefinder google it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/406320308/files.zip

Are you able to see that chameleon bootloader. When you have already installed chameleon as your booetloader you just need to replace the boot file. Do you have installed the new driver kext with pacifist?

I think you need a new istall. Do you have a different graphic's card which is supported? When you have a different card then install everything normal exchange only the file boot from the new chameleon install the new driver maybe insert your already edited nvdaresman.kext clear caches and repair permissions with osx86tools and last but not least edit your apple.boot.com.plist with graphicsenabler yes. When the rest of your system is supported it should run.

What is your system

We have the same devid so here is my nvdaresman http://rapidshare.com/files/406316645/NVDAResman.kext.zip

i am uploading all the kext that are needed

so here are all the needed kext maybe you need to make invisible things visible to replace the boot filt but you can do this easily with a program like changefinder google it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/406320308/files.zip

I don't get it. I did exactly what you told me i assume, but it still didn't work! Installed the boot file by using the command 'sudo cp boot /' and installed the driver. Then i copied your NVDAResman.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and cleared caches and repaired permissions with osx86 tools and edited the plist. I even tried using all the kexts from your files. I must be doing something wrong.

I don't get it. I did exactly what you told me i assume, but it still didn't work! Installed the boot file by using the command 'sudo cp boot /' and installed the driver. Then i copied your NVDAResman.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and cleared caches and repaired permissions with osx86 tools and edited the plist. I even tried using all the kexts from your files. I must be doing something wrong.

I have exactly the same errors. Did everything by book but its always the same crappy blank / black screen in the end. Am I right to assume that you also got the Gigabyte GTX 470?

It seems that this might be the "problem" ?

For what it's worth, I have an EVGA GTX 470 (superclocked, if it matters), and I was able to get everything working by using the files from this thread. My process:

1. Install OS X as normal (I used the Boot 132 method for my particular motherboard)

2. Update immediately to 10.6.4

3. Install CUDA drivers from nVidia's website (I just searched "OS X" on their site and it was one of the first results; not sure if this is necessary, but eventually I'd like to test to see if there is, indeed, CUDA support)

4. Install nVidia drivers from first page of this thread

5. Copy nVidia-enabled boot file to / (though it seems any RC5 Chameleon works fine)

6. Edit com.apple.Boot.plist to include the equivalent of "GraphicsEnabler=y"

7. Reboot

8. My display worked in 1080p immediately (I was using HDMI at the time)

9. Installed the Chameleon prefpane

10. Went inside Chameleon prefpane to the EFI section and had it display the current graphics plist that was loaded in memory

11. Copied that output, saved as plist to Desktop

12. Edited plist to include vram being 0x50000000 (1280MB for the GTX 470, as OS X thought that the card had no video RAM)

13. Opened OSX86 tools, imported plist from step 12, converted to hex string

14. Copied hex string into EFI section of Chameleon prefpane (though you could edit com.apple.Boot.plist by hand)

15. Rebooted.. tada! OS X thinks I have 1280MB vram

ONLY by editing my "current" graphics plist (however it retrieves that, I don't know, but I only ever saw reference to that option in the Chameleon prefpane I stumbled upon) was I able to both avoid black screens and retain all /three/ of my card's outputs: 2 DVI and 1 HDMI. OS X is able to use all three ports just fine, though I haven't tried more than one monitor. Another note: the CUDA drivers I installed also installed a CUDA prefpane, which lists driver versions for both CUDA and the nVidia desktop driver; it says both are up-to-date on my machine, despite the drivers from the first page of this thread supposedly being older than current.

With all of the above said, I have QE/CI, and everything seems to function normally. I am able to playback 1080p video content without any hiccups. Is there any way I can test CUDA performance or anything of the like? From what I've seen so far, things appear normal, and they work wonderfully.

I hope the above steps are of some assistance to someone!

That's strange i don't know what could be wrong. Sorry that i couldn't help you :D .

Screw it. Thanks so much for the help but i'm just going to return this card on the weekend and get the Asus gtx 470 as originally planned had they not run out of stock.

I'm going to leave my install untouched and just plug in the ASUS one when i get it. That should work now i have done all the hard work.

Screw it. Thanks so much for the help but i'm just going to return this card on the weekend and get the Asus gtx 470 as originally planned had they not run out of stock.

I'm going to leave my install untouched and just plug in the ASUS one when i get it. That should work now i have done all the hard work.

Hope it will fix your problem :(:D. It's really strange.

What about the GTX 460? It's a card with a better overall.

I want to buy one...

Do you know if reference vs non reference card (pcb design) makes difference for osx compatibility?

I really want a Palit Sonic Platinum :blink:

I have exactly the same errors. Did everything by book but its always the same crappy blank / black screen in the end. Am I right to assume that you also got the Gigabyte GTX 470?

It seems that this might be the "problem" ?

I borrowed one of these gigabyte 470 cards because i was over the 9800 hdmi issue

I tried the steps on the first page. I am have the same issue. Reading this thread from start to end seems gigabyte card must be different from other brands.

Hello, I have the Gigabyte GTX 465 model I have done everything it says on the first thread and I always get black screen. I have edited Info.plist NVDAResman.kext with "0x06c410de&0xfff0ffff" and "0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff" negative results in both cases. I too am beginning to believe that the Gigabyte models are different.

Sorry for my English when reading this post find it difficult because I am Spanish and the text is translated by Google.

Hola, yo tengo el modelo Gigabyte GTX 465 he hecho todo lo que indica en el primer post y siempre obtengo pantalla en negro. He editado NVDAResman.kext Info.plist con "0x06c410de&0xfff0ffff" y "0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff" obteniendo resultados negativos en ambos casos. Yo también empiezo a creer que los modelos de Gigabyte son diferentes.

Perdonen por mi inglés si la lectura de este post les resulta difícil ya que yo soy Español y el texto está traducido por Google.

What about the GTX 460? It's a card with a better overall.

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm planning to buy an EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1024MB EE when it gets released in a few weeks. I wondering if it will be different getting it to work with Snow Leopard being it is a GF104 chip vs what the other 400 series cards use. Hopefully we'll see some results with the 768MB versions soon.

added gtx 460 support to the bootloader. all we need now is a guinea pig :(

note that this only supports (aka inserts the correct value) for the 1gb version. someone needs to figure how to get the real memory size on fermi cards ...

Hi

A friend of mine is bringing me a Galaxy GTX 460 OC 1GIG from Hong Kong, she bought it yesterday. Will have it the 24th then we can do the testing. Price was US $220.

I installed the new drivers from the first post and see a dramatic speed increase in the OpenGL extension Viewer benchmark. I flashed my 8800Gt to a Quadro FX 3700. And looking at the first post its more than 3 times faster than GTX 480 with current drivers.

post-36193-1279180455_thumb.jpg