Geforce 7x00 series and update to 10.6.3.

XanthraX

40 posts in this topic

I was searching this forum for any experience about the NVidia Geforce 7300 cards. When I did the update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 I had issues with that card (Kernel Panic, before loading the desktop, it worked in safe mode in vesa mode). I found here the solution, just replace all the NV***.kexts with these one from 10.6.1. I tried this method now, but I got a blue blank screen.

If is someone here who could fix this, let me know please. Don't say to buy a new graphic card.

Thank you in advance.

Same Problem with Geforce 7600GT 256mb.

Worked without any problems on 10.6.2 with NVEnabler (Full support for Quartz Extreme and Core Image) after installing 10.6.3 the System reboots to an empty blue screen. I tried the following things to fix the Problem:

- Remove NVEnabler.kext -> Boots in Vesa Mode (1024*768)

- Install EFI String -> Boots normal, full resolution no Quartz Extreme or Core Image

- Replace all Geforce related 10.6.3 Kexts with 10.6.2 Versions and EFI String No Quarts Extreme or Core Image support

- With replaced Geforce related Kext and NVEnabler -> Blue Screen

- NVInject amd Geforce related 10.6.3 or 10.6.2 Kext -> full resolution no Quartz Extreme or Core Image

I have no idea why Quartz Extreme and Core Image Support is gone.

@XanthraX if you use NVEnabler.kext try remove NVEnabler.kext an replace it with NVInject though you won´t get QE or CI support with this option you should at least be able to boot up an use all avaible resolutions of your Card.

Same here with 7300GT. EFI String

10.6.1 kext or 10.6.2 kext, no Quartz Extreme or Core Image

10.6.3 kexts, Blue Screen

10.6.3 kexts, boot -x32, works Quartz Extreme and Core Image

But, Xbench

on 10.6.3 opengl graphics test 77.30, User Interface Test 320.01

on 10.6.2 opengl graphics test 294.06, User Interface Test 368.46

There is a NVinject.kext for 64 bit round here if you search, not sure if it works with 10.6.3 though but it works with 10.6.2 at least for 7300gs 512 mb pcie cards, I have two of these cards in my computer. You might have to change the NVCAP data inside the kexts plist to match the setup of ports you have on your speciffic card both with the 32 and 64 bit version of the kext. Could be one reason you get stuck on boot up.

All I know since I started to use chameleon and dsdt.aml is I have to have the line <string>arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=no</string> in my com.apple.boot.plist to make it work with QE and all. Works with both 32 bit and 64 bit.

There is a NVinject.kext for 64 bit round here if you search, not sure if it works with 10.6.3 though but it works with 10.6.2 at least for 7300gs 512 mb pcie cards, I have two of these cards in my computer. You might have to change the NVCAP data inside the kexts plist to match the setup of ports you have on your speciffic card both with the 32 and 64 bit version of the kext. Could be one reason you get stuck on boot up.

All I know since I started to use chameleon and dsdt.aml is I have to have the line <string>arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=no</string> in my com.apple.boot.plist to make it work with QE and all. Works with both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Thank you, it sounds promising, but I am too n00b, I understand you have not this card, so I have to wait for someone else who did it and will be so nice to explain in details: NVCAP data inside of which kexts, how and what to change in the plists. I have NVEnabler 64.kext that works well in 10.6.2, but I had to keep the NV*.kexts from 10.6.1. This trick is not longer working in 10.6.3 => stuck in blue screen. The option to have 10.6.3 in 32 bits mode only is not good for me, better keep 10.6.2 in 64 bits mode. The NVEnabler 64.kext is working well in 10.6.3 on my other Hackintosh with NVidia Geforce 9400 GT.

Thanks in advance for every one will have success in it and will explain the "how to".

Not sure what the NVEnabler does I don´t use it only the NVinject.kext and if I go for 64 bit I use the 64 bit version of it. To me it looks like you´re getting some kind of conflict there, maby you´re having two kexts fighting for the system. For example you can´t have both the Natit kext and the NVinject at the same time you have to take one of them out of your extensions or extra extensions folder which ever you use.

From what I´ve read the 10.6.3 update seems to include only stuff that would´nt make any difference at all for me anyway. Sometimes these updates only brings more trouble for hackmacs than they do good.

I have had succes with the NVinject.kext I uploaded to this thread in the link below here with a few cards and among these four different cards from two different brands of the Geforce 7300 gs pcie card and even an AGP card.

To change NVCAP first make a copy pf your kext and do all the editing on that one instead. Rightclick on your kext, go for show package content open the Content folder rightclick the Info.plist open it with texteditor

Probably looks something like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>NVinject</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>NVinject 0.2.2, Copyright 2007 nvinject.free.fr</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.nvinject</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>NVinject</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>0.2.2</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>NVinject</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.nvinject</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>com_nvinject</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOFramebuffer</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x000010de&0x0000ffff</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>60000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>entriesToAdd</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@1,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>

BAAAAAAAAQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=

</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>

AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<string>0x00000020</string>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>Graphics by NVIDIA</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>NVinject 0.2.2</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Safe Boot</string>

</dict>

</plist>

The NVCAP data is about what type of ports you have on your videocard and which one is the first port. Short words it has to mach what you have on your card.

My rig

GA EP45-DS3

Q6600 cpu

two 7300 gs 512 mb pcie videocards

8 gig memory

Sata2 hardrives

Sata DVDs

Black Magic Intensity Pro (video) capturecard

M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard

Saffire Pro 10 i/o soundcard

Software

Logic Studio 8

Logic Express 9

Harrison Mixbus

Reason

Adictive Drums

EZ Drummer

Final cut Express

Parallels for running Win XP

etc etc

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=112727&hl=

The problem is NVDANV40Hal.kext 10.6.3, that have a bug. In 64 bit mode don't works, in 32 bit mode has errors.

I'have partially solved with older NVDANV40Hal.kext, but with some graphics issues (apple transparent in the bar and others)

Giorgio

The problem is NVDANV40Hal.kext 10.6.3, that have a bug. In 64 bit mode don't works, in 32 bit mode has errors.

I'have partially solved with older NVDANV40Hal.kext, but with some graphics issues (apple transparent in the bar and others)

Giorgio

I am sorry for my English.

64 bit basically not so excite, how returning QE/CI. :) you could not lay out the NVDANV40Hal. At me even windows for 15 seconds are turned off, to work practically not probably... :)

I have a 7300GT and can only boot with the 10.6.1 kexts, blue screen with 10.6.3, I can't boot in -32 mode because I have a KP that I have never solved. What is Quarts Extreme or Core Image ? I have the good screen resolution in 10.6.3 with 10.6.1 GeForce kexts but I can't read videos, TV and Spaces are slow.

PS : what is the best graphic card now ? the most compatible with SL and fanless ? I've bought years ago the 7300GT because it was the same than the Mac pros. Thank you

Hi

I've got 7600gs dual-dvi (one connected to lcd monitor (dvi-dvi), second connected to LCD TV (dvi-hdmi)

just upgraded to 10.6.3 and everything works. only 8xxx=< has hdmi problem??? (black screen)???

open gl from 257(10.6.1) to 120(10.6.3) (xbench) and only 32-bit with my card possible

is it normal with 10.6.3 so bad score with open gl??? or maybe only with 7xxx cards????

64-bit - blue screen (10.6.3) , KP with 10.6.2

wanted to change my card but hdmi works (8xxx,9xxx problems).... can live with slow openGl I can play FIFa with WIN :)

//edit: strange thing - opengl extensions viewer shows the same results 10.6.1-10.6.3 ...need to try cinebench

//edit2: cinebench 10r 5600 with 10.6.1 4400 with 10.6.3......so open gl slower with 10.6.3 :(

thanks for any help

I was searching this forum for any experience about the NVidia Geforce 7300 cards. When I did the update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 I had issues with that card (Kernel Panic, before loading the desktop, it worked in safe mode in vesa mode). I found here the solution, just replace all the NV***.kexts with these one from 10.6.1. I tried this method now, but I got a blue blank screen.

If is someone here who could fix this, let me know please. Don't say to buy a new graphic card.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Friend How are you, I hope good. Well I will start.

First let me tell you that I have the same card you have. and I do not use any kext to activate the Graphics acelarator, I just added Graphics Enabler Y on the apple.boot.plist that i have on my Extra folder and on the first reboot after the installation i have the quartz extreme and everything working.

This is for the first installation, then when i update to 10.6.3 I am still running the Graphics aceleration but the x64 it semms like gonne because the stabilish of the system its a litlle poor. So if it is for your help there is the information. Also Righ now im looking for a solution to do not lost the x64 after update.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Friend How are you, I hope good. Well I will start.

First let me tell you that I have the same card you have. and I do not use any kext to activate the Graphics acelarator, I just added Graphics Enabler Y on the apple.boot.plist that i have on my Extra folder and on the first reboot after the installation i have the quartz extreme and everything working.

This is for the first installation, then when i update to 10.6.3 I am still running the Graphics aceleration but the x64 it semms like gonne because the stabilish of the system its a litlle poor. So if it is for your help there is the information. Also Righ now im looking for a solution to do not lost the x64 after update.

Hey Friend,

This is what I am looking for. I have some reasons why I don't want to invest in other video card, but I seem to drop any hope to can use this GeForce 7300 GT on higher systems than 10.6.2, if I want to keep the 64 bit mode. I was sure it can be a solution, but the video gurus here have better video cards and not want to fight to find a solution for this stone age one ;) So, long life 10.6.2!!!!!

Hey Friend,

This is what I am looking for. I have some reasons why I don't want to invest in other video card, but I seem to drop any hope to can use this GeForce 7300 GT on higher systems than 10.6.2, if I want to keep the 64 bit mode. I was sure it can be a solution, but the video gurus here have better video cards and not want to fight to find a solution for this stone age one :censored2: So, long life 10.6.2!!!!!

ihave the geforce 7600 gt , i have tried with iportable 10.6.2 over a usb key , no extendend monitor , only mirroring on dvi , i can't change resolution .

I don't have EFI , iportable work in 32 bit , i don ' t need 64 bit

Any help

Try to boot with -v -x and then uninstall all previously installed drivers and try again with NVinject! Tested on previously PC with NVIDIA GeForce 7100.

Good luck! :)

No luck with Nvidia 7600GS 512mb

Currently can get in with -x otherwise I get a blue screen.

I will see what I can find out and post back here (if I can find anything at all).

If anyone has info on these 7X00 cards and 10.6.3 please share, thanks!

No luck with Nvidia 7600GS 512mb

Currently can get in with -x otherwise I get a blue screen.

I will see what I can find out and post back here (if I can find anything at all).

If anyone has info on these 7X00 cards and 10.6.3 please share, thanks!

Unfortunately, not another option than to get stuck in the :censored2: 10.6.2, if want x64.

AGP 7600 GS 512MB, with AGPGart and NVInject and modded NVDANV40HAL.kext and GeForce.kext, I have full resolution but no QE/CI for some reason, there may have been other steps since I've played around with this since forever... I did not flash the ROM or whatever. Prior to the 7600 I had a 6200, along with a DSDT with specific patches applied to get it to work with no injector, but I'm trying to rely on injectors as the 7xxx series has some apparent problems. I'm not really sure at this point, I wish I was.