ATI 5870/4850/4870/4890 Users for Benchmark WANTED

mitch_de

104 posts in this topic

HD4890, 1GB, weird Japanese brand.

Hi, compared to the above listed 4870 GPU only time it is slow. (Half speed)

Do you use native 10.6.3 ATI drivers or some modded ATI drivers from 10.6.2 ? I now that a lot of ATI 4XXX users cant use the ATI 10.6.3 drivers like Nvidia.

(Newer ATI / Nvidia Drivers make sometimes big diff running OpenCL and also Steam Games on Mac.)

Normally ATI 4890 should perform about 5% faster than 4870.

Woudl be interesting if Highend GPU only and OpenCL pixelfilter results also are slower than 4870.

PS: The next slg Update will be an major update with some new raytracing technics and other speed enhancements.

But it will be available in >= 3 weeks (perhaps same time 10.6.4 cames out )

That OpenCL Bench 0.25 was an very early bird and isnt measuring real OpenCL performance.

Better use smallluxGPU now - much++ more complex usage of OpenCL code and therfore an good real world benchmark.

Very soon i will update smallluxGPU to an major update HERE to get results collected before i put that on macupdet.com (with the got new results as reference)

Stay tuned !

Major update 163 (OpenCL optimisations).

I will collect the ATI+Nvidia GPU only benchmark times (as references) before i upload it to macupdate.com

Please post your highend / Ultrahigh GPU only results.

My 8800GTX Times of GPU only are already referenced. (ATI will bet them :( )

I uploaded the new pre Version (only luxball scene to save size) .

http://rapidshare.com/files/396183218/smallluxGPU_pre163.zip

PS: With 1.6.3 abd above i removed CPU only benches - make (after long debug time) no sense anymore.

Hybrid benches + GPU only benches make sense, because real world (used in upcoming OpenCL Apps).

Running OpenCL Code(source complied on runtime by ATI/NVDIA drivers) on CPU only isnt fast as running optimized native Code (gcc) on CPU - so that was more an academic challenge, no real world usage ;)

Seems that OpenCL optimisations speeds up Nvidia but slows down ATI ( i remember you had much faster times highend GPU and Ultrahigh gpu)

If you have time , you could try to tell smallluxGPU ti use an other than default OpenCL code:

Show Packadge Content (Finder on smallluxGPU_pre1963), Resources/scenes/luxball

and replace (save before somewhere) the file render_fast_norm.cfg (download below).

If i use that different OpenCL code, my 8800GTX runs at halp speed (Highend GPU = 33 sec, UltraHigh 97 sec) now.

Bildschirmfoto_2010_06_07_um_14.07.40.jpg

render_fast_norm.cfg.zip

Thanks, seem that gpus vendors may need different optimized OpemCL cores.

I will add an Opti Flag in next pre Version, so set up to 3 different optimized OpenCL cores.

Speed may also vary which scene is used !

Stay tuned - next pre163 will be complete so you can also compare the k Samples/Sec in the Interacrive Modes.

could take a question?

Snow leopard applications which use this technology?

some application of existing own Snow Leopard?cleardot.gif

this question is a little confusing for most users

Thankss, mitch_de

OpenCL is like CoreImage in case of usage:

The App (Developer) must have OpenCL Source Code to use it. There is no "automatik" OpenCL.

The only automatoc is, like CoreImage, if the App has OpenCL code but the gpu cant do OpnCL (ATI 3870 Mac, ATI 2XX Mac, NV 6xxx,7xxx Mac) the App will use the CPU insted. Same happens to CoreImage of the GPU can´t do CoreImage (most old AGP GPUs cant).

And thats also the reason why, until now near non Apps support OpenCL:

- lots of work to code OpenCL in fast way (its C++ like but must be parallised, which is very much work in "thinking")

- quick & dirty OpenCL code didnt bring anything better. can even slow down the App

- Until now, to less % of the Macs have needful fast GPUs - needful starts with ATI 4850M / 8800GT(GTX 285).

The only App i now does really use OpenCL and with good results is an Videoencoder STARFIRE !

Scaling, Decoding + Filtering is done by OpenCL - saves at least 30% of overall CPU Load in the encoding process.

If much skaling and also noise filtering is used may even higher % cpu load savings.

http://web.me.com/cducommun/StarFire/Bienvenue.html

No, only CoreImage since 10.5. But CoreImage does also put work on gpu, thats rigth.

The smallluxgpu benchpixel does same as CoreImage but with OpenCL code.

OpenCL is until now NOT used by any Apple App or any system code.

NEW RC Version is out, complete and ready to bench.

The new Type 0 / 1 OpenCL code setting may give different speeds on different gpus.

My nvidia gpu runs fastest with Type 0, ATO gpus run maybe better with Type 1 code.

http://rapidshare.com/files/396777834/smallluxGPU_163RC.zip

RC Version is out. You can try the new different type 0 and type 1 OpenCL codes.

You may get speed diffs between them !. My 8800 GT runs fastests with Type 0.

Bildschirmfoto_2010_06_08_um_20.07.20.jpg

THanks will be used als new reference values.

Bad, that my GUI cleanups bugged the GPU type showings in Mid+High Result - only Ultra shows gpu type.

Will be fixed in 10.6.4 (no major speed changes in the also updated slg code).

Hi, very fast ATI 4870 results !

Is your Sonic OC by vendor (GPU+RAM clk not standard) ?

Information: Even running the GPU only benches / gpu only raytracing, ALSO the cpu+systembus speed has an effect on the gpu speed.

The cpu/systembus must feed (and get) data to the gpu which takes not less cpu load (30-100% CPU load!). The faster the gpu the more effect of cpu speed is seen

in gpu only. i7 + 8800GT vs C2D + 8800GT isnt much diff in gpu only.On i7 + ATI 4870 (or GTX 285) vs C2D + + ATI 4870(GTX 285) this cpu effect is significant (on same gpu).

Thanks. you see now (since 1.6.4) again the gpu informations in MID+HIGH result window.

Also i added the CPU type to the result window - even its GPU only, the CPU does matter in speed.

The faster the GPU the more the CPU has effect also on GPU only speed.