10.6.3 nVidia Blank Screen Issue with DVI/HDMI on 9800GT

athena

434 posts in this topic

so there's a guy named "dwem" on another thread that seems to have no problems with HDMI video on his GTX260 running 10.6.4

note he's got two native DVI ports and is using an adapter... can someone who's been having this HDMI problem confirm if it's been established already that the GTX260 suffers from the same problem? or is this card actually immune for some reason? He doesn't think he's done anything special (though he's using cartri gigabyte bios i think)...

My 8800GT has two native DVI ports and I use an adapter DVI to HDMI cable. So far, I hadn't experienced any issues since 10.5.6.

On 10.6.4 my performance is still the same on games like Portal, Team Fortress 2 and COD4. All games I play at 1920x1200 with all settings maxxed out. Almost all the time I get 60 FPS with those settings and VSync enabled.

Cheers!

Can anyone who has this problem please confirm that they have the blue, vga (d-sub) connector on their card and not the dual dvi?

Thanks.

EDIT: the above thesis was totally wrong. I have tested with many GPUs and here are my findings:

9800GT 1GB - VGA,DVI,HDMI - only vga and dvi work, hdmi and dvi-hdmi connector don't work

9800GTX 512MB - DVI,DVI,S-Video - DVI and DVI work separately and dual display, DVI-HDMI connector don't work on any of 2 DVI connectors, never tested s-video

9800GTX+ 1GB - Same as 9800GTX

GT210 - HDMI,DVI,VGA - all works fine

would be nice if we had the full table of these that work.

Note that these have been all tested with GraphicsEnabler=yes without an EFI string. 9800GT was tested with everything including GE,NVE, Bios Fix, EFI Strings but it still wouldn't work.

so heythisisdave posted on another thread about this odd kext:

I tried disabling the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext and it fixed the jumpiness of the mouse but it also disabled my second monitor. It appears that the kext does things like HDCP handling

it appears this kext in the past was responsible for various graphics problems - but can anyone confirm that simply unloading it gets rid of HDCP handling? Because if our HDMI issues are HDCP related, it would seem this could affect it...

it appears this kext in the past was responsible for various graphics problems - but can anyone confirm that simply unloading it gets rid of HDCP handling? Because if our HDMI issues are HDCP related, it would seem this could affect it...

At least for me, i can assure you it is a hdcp problem why ???

If i use the hdmi port on my card with a DVI adapter and hook it to the monitor via DVI dual link i dont get the black screen of death.

I installed them, no change

it appears this kext in the past was responsible for various graphics problems - but can anyone confirm that simply unloading it gets rid of HDCP handling?

Because if our HDMI issues are HDCP related, it would seem this could affect it...

No it wont help, its already disabled on my system

hi all

after reading every post on this topic

the only solution for Gigabyte 9800GT Silent Cell is by renaming the rom file from one of the posts (8800gt) to 10de_0614.rom

and put it in extra folder

and adding plist with

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

i tested and i confirmed that is worked for me i have 32 samsung connecting with hdmi by dvi/hdmi converter

with another old samsung monitor connecting by vga

the 2 monitors working good !!

any one did as i did ???

any update ?!!!

thanx for all

Ref. AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

No it wont help, its already disabled on my system

You misread, it needs to be enabled. Read the quote from 'heythisisdave' again.

If any of you are using a disabler.kext, remove the part in info.plist that disables AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, or if you're on a vanilla install, just delete disabler.kext. It's not needed on systems that can run the vanilla kernel.

Can anyone who has this problem please confirm that they have the blue, vga (d-sub) connector on their card and not the dual dvi?

Thanks.

EDIT: the above thesis was totally wrong. I have tested with many GPUs and here are my findings:

9800GT 1GB - VGA,DVI,HDMI - only vga and dvi work, hdmi and dvi-hdmi connector don't work

9800GTX 512MB - DVI,DVI,S-Video - DVI and DVI work separately and dual display, DVI-HDMI connector don't work on any of 2 DVI connectors, never tested s-video

9800GTX+ 1GB - Same as 9800GTX

GT210 - HDMI,DVI,VGA - all works fine

would be nice if we had the full table of these that work.

Note that these have been all tested with GraphicsEnabler=yes without an EFI string. 9800GT was tested with everything including GE,NVE, Bios Fix, EFI Strings but it still wouldn't work.

I have tested S-Video-S-Video, black/blue screen. My monitor doesn't even register that the computer is on(even though it is)when I use S-Video-component cables. I have never been able to get S-Video working with any Mac OS Xs, so I don't know. I tried though.

hi all

after reading every post on this topic

the only solution for Gigabyte 9800GT Silent Cell is by renaming the rom file from one of the posts (8800gt) to 10de_0614.rom

and put it in extra folder

and adding plist with

<string>yes</string>

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

i tested and i confirmed that is worked for me i have 32 samsung connecting with hdmi by dvi/hdmi converter

with another old samsung monitor connecting by vga

the 2 monitors working good !!

any one did as i did ???

any update ?!!!

thanx for all

Good and glad that it works for you, but what about you gfx performance?

Have you lost performance?

Do you still have full Quatz functionality?

Do you have to remove efi string from boot.plist if you have one in there?

Can you use 1080p resolutions?

Before you encountered the black screen issue, when you could use hdmi freely, the resolutions you had before...do you have them now since you began using this new method with the Vbios?

Ref. AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

You misread, it needs to be enabled. Read the quote from 'heythisisdave' again.

If any of you are using a disabler.kext, remove the part in info.plist that disables AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, or if you're on a vanilla install, just delete disabler.kext. It's not needed on systems that can run the vanilla kernel.

I had disabled AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext by renaming it, in an effort to fix the problem,

there is no change for me with or with out AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

I have never used disabler.kext

Please, can anyone confirm that the GT210 works in HDMI mode?

In that case, I'm willing to add a PCI-Express 1X card to my 9800GTX+ which will still be hooked to my main display via DVI.

Future Setup :

2 cards, 210GT HDMI -> TV and 9800GTX+ DVI -> Main display.

What do you think? Can this work?

The method of using the 8800gt bios works for me. I am using DVI-HDMI as I type on my 42 inch samsung HDTV.

I am about to try my Vbios for my 9800GTX and will report back. Wish me luck.

EDIT: UPDATE....No dice. DVI-HDMI does not work with any other Vbios that I tried, other than the 8800GT Vbios.

I tried from the 8600GTS and up and the only one that worked for me was the 8800GT. Note that I have the BFG 9800GTX OC 512mb. Don't know if that has something to do with it but shouldn't because I used BFG Vbios.

This is what my System profiler says when I use the 8800gt Vbios:

GeForce 9800 GTX:

Chipset Model: GeForce 9800 GTX

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - NVIDIA.rom

Displays:

SAMSUNG:

Resolution: 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

VGA Display:

Resolution: 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Maybe my 1Gb of VRAM is the issue here, yours has the same amount as the real 8800 GTs (512MB).

Did you do anything specific? apart from running Chameleon RC4 with Graphics Enabler and the Nvidia.rom ?

Are you using your TV as the main display? In my case, I always put the TV as my secondary with DVI-HDMI. My main monitor stays the same on the primary DVI.

Did you try this setup?

Congratulations for your 10.6.4 Nvidia Hackintosh !

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>VideoROM</key>

<string>NVIDIA.rom</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

That's all that I have in my boot.plist. I am only using my TV as the main display cause I don't use dual monitor(Don't need it i think)

I don't think that it matters how much ram you have. I am using the rev.1 of the 8800GT from BFG.

What card do you have?

Thanks for the tip el_charlie!

I installed the 8800GTbios 2D3D.rom file in /Extra and renamed it to match my Device and Revision ID /Extra/10de_0605.rom and checked the boxes for "Use Nvidia ROM" and VBIOS in chameleon preference pane

and video is back for dual samsung plasmas on my HTPC connected by HDMI cables (one over an ethernet extender).

Has anybody managed to figure this issue out?

I've got a Gainward GTS 250 1GB, so if anyone knows how to get HDMi working properly on this card i would be stupidly gratefull!

Just got my new computer, and bought it after 10.6.3 came out, so have never experienced the HDMI out on my card, and don't want to downgrade to 10.6.2 and lose corei5 support, but I'm nearly at the end of my tether with this issue and really am considering it :-(

Cheers guys

I have a very similar problem (iatkus 10.6.3). When I boot it remains on a blank blue screen. But if I boot with the disk in (hit F8 and choose hard disk) it boots and works well. I have no idea what the problem is but I reckon it's something related to the bootloader since with the iatkos disk it works well.

By the way, I'm using VGA to connect it to my LCDTV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using a Galaxy GTS 250 512MB (which is essentially a 9800GTX) on a 46" Sharp Aquos LCD. Ever since 10.6.2 I've been experiencing issues with HDMI connections and the WindowServer crash causing a black screen. All works well with Straight DVI to a standard 17" Monitor. When running 10.6.3+, no matter how I connect digitally DVI->HDMI or HDMI->HDMI to my 46" I always get the same result. Black screen of death.

I've tried the MacPro8800GT.rom, Cartri MacBios, GraphicsEnabler=Yes using Chameleon RC4+5prerelease and Asere BLN 1.9, and countless other suggestions but no luck.

Complete system specs are in my sig, but I'm seriously frustrated and thinking of buying a 285 and just paying the 400+ to avoid the grief.

If anyone has a working GTS 250 card on a HDMI connection I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in Advance

Use Galaxy rom file attached below and put it in your /Extra folder where your com.apple.Boot.plist is and add these lines to your boot.plist file

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>VideoROM</key>

<string>NVIDIA.rom</string>

Remove any GFX strings/EFI strings for your video card that you might have in your boot.plist file and also anything else to do with your video card including graphics enabler and all that.(NOTE: don't hold me responsible if it doesn't work the same way for you, I'm just going off of what I have. I know it won't kill your card for sure so good luck).

Anyone else that has a BFG 9800GTX(I saw someone else with one in this thread), you can try the BFG file below. Same instructions apply.

Good Luck.

Jay

Galaxy.zip

BFG_8800GT.zip

To the best of my knowledge, it works with DVI-HDMI. I do not know about HDMI-HDMI, I assume it should because DVI and HDMI are electronically the same and Digitally I think as well. But I don't know for sure.