• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

zwaldowski

zwaldowski

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I've had a blast of a time setting up Snow Leopard on my mom's shiny new HP Mini 1030NR (at her request), and it works about 90%. The biggest problem I'm having is was power management: the CPU doesn't seem to SpeedStep or throttle at any point. Though the fan starts off quiet, it kicks into "sexually excited bees" mode after a couple of minutes. The resulting battery life, heat output, etc. is pretty bad.

Thanks to a couple of DSDT mods, I've gotten the whole AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement thing running without Disablers or anything (/S/L/E is all stock 10.6.2, /Extra/Extensions includes fakesmc, patched GMA950 drivers, IO80211, IOATA, IOUSB, OpenHaltRestart, VoodooHDA, VoodooBattery, and VoodooPS2). I tried VoodooPowerMini, but it gave me a kernel panic.

Does anybody have any methods for getting the processor (Atom N270) and fan to throttle? Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Attached are my decompiled DSDT, Boot plist, and SMBIOS plist if they help any.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I've had a blast of a time setting up Snow Leopard on my mom's shiny new HP Mini 1030NR (at her request), and it works about 90%. The biggest problem I'm having is was power management: the CPU doesn't seem to SpeedStep or throttle at any point. Though the fan starts off quiet, it kicks into "sexually excited bees" mode after a couple of minutes. The resulting battery life, heat output, etc. is pretty bad.

Thanks to a couple of DSDT mods, I've gotten the whole AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement thing running without Disablers or anything (/S/L/E is all stock 10.6.2, /Extra/Extensions includes fakesmc, patched GMA950 drivers, IO80211, IOATA, IOUSB, OpenHaltRestart, VoodooHDA, VoodooBattery, and VoodooPS2). I tried VoodooPowerMini, but it gave me a kernel panic.

Does anybody have any methods for getting the processor (Atom N270) and fan to throttle? Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Interesting, I would like to try the DSDT modifications for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but on HP Mini 311
Could you attach the files? Also, if you could some brief explanations where it changed is highly appreciated.

Using CPU-X on Mini 311 we could the the core speed is fluctuated.
However personally I am not sure which part in DSDT does that because it was build by one of the pioneer who had gone awol.

The Mini 311 unit I have also has the on full blast all the time.

If you want I could attach the DSDT file here for you to compare.

Cheers

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
I've actually asked MowgliBook for help with hacking my 1001TU's dsdt for Vanilla Apple pwr mgmt, and he's a great deal of help, but somehow I still get KP. Maybe it's because the dsdt we're working on has already been previously edited...Anyway, @zwaldowski; would you mind you posted your DSDT that works with Vanilla pwr mgmt? Though it says it's attached in your post, I can't see any attachment...

Thanks in advance!

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Dear zwaldowski.

I'll keep it short and simple. Well, much easier, actually.

I hope your have enabled the Root account. Makes things simpler, easier, faster and lesser commands to run.
-> sudo -s

Boot into your SnowLeo Install, probably using -x (Safe Mode)
Then, move the /S/L/E/AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext
&
/S/L/E/AppleIntelCPUPowermanagementClient.kext
To a saferlocation for later retrieval/restoration
Then, Copy the VooDooPOwermini.kext or VooDooPowerACPI.kext (whichever is fine) to /S/L/E/
Yes, NOT to /Extra/Extensions/

OK?

Reboot using -f -v

you should not get any kernel panics, and your SpeedStep, quite some Power Management, and Sleep will be functional
Without any Kernel Panics.

The Vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement and AppleIntelCPUPowermanagementClient aren't happy with VoodooPower(mini/ACPI) loading together. Ok?

I too have faced the same Problem. This is the fix.

Revert with the results, such that others too can benefit.

Regards,
Freaky Chokra :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy