• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

As I posted in another topic on the same model, the Mechdrew guide for installing a vanilla retail copy of snow leopard works perfectly for the 1001ha. And it is entirely possible to get the standard wifi working without replacing it. Just use the wireless utility provided by Ralink themselves posted on the Macintosh section of there website.

As I said in the other topic, Snow Leopard runs well on this model, but you have to initialise the Ralink Wireless Utility every time you switch on. I have set it up so that this program is opened on logon and have saved a profile for my wireless network so that it starts up without me having to configure it each time. One note for this software, I have noticed that if you leave it running there are sometimes issues with it randomly disconnecting, i suggest that as soon as you see that a connection has been established you quit the program, which will leave the wifi card running nicely until you next turn off/on.

I hope very much that i have been of assistance, if anybody has any problems/queries post in one of these topics about the 1001HA or pm me and I'll be happy to help further.

Nico

Nico, I am so grateful to you for posting the link to mechdrew: I had never seen it before (not looking in the right places perhaps). The guide seems sane and as a result I have downloaded the necessary files. I've struggled and failed with various iDeneb versions, and the eeeboot thing, always there was an issue. Perhaps now I can have a hackintosh. I love OSX and am looking forward to getting SL on this netbook: Win7 isnt bad, but OSX is better :).

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Question: does the regeneration of the DSDT.aml file take a long time? Progress bar is not moving... It seems to be stuck.

nico517

nico517

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Location:The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Ah yes, I did forget to mention that. Im not sure why it hangs like that, but it doesnt ever complete so i found that the best thing to do is restart by either doing a hard shutdown (holding down the power button until it turns off). Or restarting the laptop the Apple way if it lets you.This doesnt seem to pose any problems ;). I'm incredibly glad I have been of help.

Happy hackintoshing,

Nico

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ah yes, I did forget to mention that. Im not sure why it hangs like that, but it doesnt ever complete so i found that the best thing to do is restart by either doing a hard shutdown (holding down the power button until it turns off). Or restarting the laptop the Apple way if it lets you.This doesnt seem to pose any problems ^_^. I'm incredibly glad I have been of help.

Happy hackintoshing,

Nico

Ah, we at least I know its normal. I did the hard reset, but OSX wouldn't boot without the netbookCD in the drive... I wonder if there's something else to be done?

I decided to reinstall Ubuntu for the moment, and have another shot at it this weekend.

My iMac is away for repairs and I didn't realise just how dependent I have become on OSX. I've been trying to make do with Ubuntu, then Win7, and now Ubuntu again.... but in truth, I just want OSX. So I'm on a serious mission to get this working effectively.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I guess this is going to be an ongoing saga. Tonight, trying again with exactly the same hardware and software, the netbookcd decided that it was going to throw memory allocation errors, and boot into the actual blue chameleon screen instead of the grey one. Still trying, eventually got to install SL, but then when we restarted with the netbook cd, it couldn't see the osx HD. About to try again. Sighhh. I am convinced this is the right path, but gawd it's fussy!!!

[edit] Well, eventually got the grey background screen on very try since the above but memory allocation errors prevent any install. I'm stumped.

nico517

nico517

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I have to say that i am stumped at your problem too. Can I suggest trying to reinstall OS X and installing each of the checkboxes on the netbookmaker app individually leaving the custom DSDT one until last, I think this is what I did. I havent experienced any of the problems that you describe unfortunately so I can't really suggest a workaroud that will definately work.

I have had my fair share of frustrations whilst trying to install OS X on various computers but I really do think it is worth the effort.

Hopefull all goes well for you in the end and you get it all sorted,
Nico

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks, Nico. I guess I'm not really expecting you to have all the answers here, but I'm still going to report in with the issues I get, as they arise. There's such an entertaining and frustrating array, I think they are worth reporting. The frustration arises from the knowledge that my hardware can deliver, having almost succeeded on the first attempt...

As an FYI for anyone else reading... My external DVD drive is a Sony DRX-S70-W, and of course the net book is an Asus 1001HA. I haven't added RAM so it's a bog standard.

Today's issue: unlike yesterday, I'm not getting memory allocation errors. In fact, if I just let the netbookinstaller cd go, it goes to the required screen with no intervention at the shift key, on my part. With my drive, I have to do the "disconnect trick" as cited in mechdrew's guide. Reconnecting and pressing F5 then gives me... Not an icon for the OSX Dvd but an icon for a blank hard drive with no name, which cannot be selected. So I guess that for today, the external drive is not being recognized as a DVD drive at all.

Why this would happen (or, indeed, yesterdays issues) I could not even guess at. It's mildly entertaining and a lot frustrating but I am not giving up. Yet.

[Edit] Well, five more attempts all of which resulted in the same thing, has put me off for another few months. I am happy with stop now, safe in the knowledge that someone will come up with an even more solid solution ... though I must confess, I don't know how much better than this it can get. Might have to wait until the next netbookinstaller version. Its probably just a hardware glitch, next time it wont be there.

In the meantime, I have finally reverted to Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu) which is as close as I can get to the preferred OS, on this netbook.

nico517

nico517

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Before you give up for good, have you tried using a flash disk or usb drive? I didn't actually realise that you had been using an external DVD drive. I think that this is your best bet as the internal card reader and any flash usb sticks are definitely supported by OS X and the Mechdrew method.

I completely understand though if you have decided to give up for a while, but I hope that you do come back to trying it at some point. It really is worth getting to work on the 1001HA.

But I have to say that ubuntu with some tweaks works incredibly well on this netbook too in my opinion.

Whatever route you take to get this netbook working perfectly for you, I hope very much that it goes well.

Nico

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I hadn't realized that I forgot to mention tha t tiny point... :(

I'll definitely give it a shot this weekend ;)

Thanks, Nico!!

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Anyway, WTF is the onetime boot key on a 1001HA???

[never mind] Found it in this thread http://www.insanelym...owtopic=224950# and it seems its simple: pressing esc several times during boot does the deal. I had pressed it once...wasnt enough...

OK, so now I am trying the USB method from Mac

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Nope. Same result as before. after the creation of the dsdt file fails, (and i guess it must fail because...) I am still ending up just with a black screen and blinking cursor. No operating system boot at all. I now can only boot from the USB key (well, at least I can do that).

Additionally, downloading the RAlink wireless drivers only gives drivers up to Leopard, not snow leopard. During the install there was a message saying that the drivers wouldnt work with my system, even though the install appeared to be successful. I'm going to run the airport assistant but in network inside system prefs, theres no airport or ethernet option. I also don't have sound. Havent tried the cam but I am betting thats not working either.

I'm going to try to get those things working, and worry about the boot later. at least I can use it, and if I have to carry a USB boot drive... oh well.

[edit] Webcam working out of the box. Network prefs is completely empty so I guess ethernet doesnt work either.

It amazes me that machines which are apparently exactly the same have such different responses to various guides. Mechdrew's is the closest I've come, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy