Dell Vostro V13?

glitch44

27 posts in this topic

Any chance of Snow Leopard working on the relatively new Dell Vostro V13? (I haven't purchased yet or I'd try before posting.)

Here are the tech specs:

CPU:

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3GHz, 3MB L2 cache) (Ultra Low Voltage) OR

Intel® CoreTM 2 Solo SU3500 (1.4GHz, 3MB L2 cache) (Ultra Low Voltage) OR

Intel® Celeron 743 (1.2GHz, 1MB L2 cache) (Ultra Low Voltage)

Chipset

Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipset ICH9M-Enhanced

Graphics

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD

Display

13.3-inch diagonal LED-backlit HD (1366 x 768) Anti-glare

Wireless

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11b/g OR

Intel Pro/Wireless 5100 802.11b/g/n

SpNJq.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna test this one!

Several days ago my friend show me his vostro v13.

In spite of crazy Mac loving, i must confess that this one is brilliant.

If it could run MAC OS this would be the best Macbook AIR equivalent.

Now I'm gonna try too instal and i wont stop till i get fully working OS.

Who wants "Macbook Air" for 600 $ lets work on it together.

I hopу i can find help on this pages.

Look for results on this page, i will stay in touch in this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

just finished installing ideneb 10.5.6 it boots fine. i just used one of the netbook templates that they have. i just want to see if its capable to be a hackintosh. i will play more of it using another distro.

to far Out of the box (idened) NOT WORKING

1) graphx QE Support. default 1024x768

2) eth

3) wlan

4) sound

Dell Vostro V13 is probably going to be a new hot hackintosh target. I've had the Snow Leopard installed successfully with partial hardware support with a USB Thumb Drive with SL image on it and created with NetBookMaker 0.8.4RC1. As you can see here.

r1ep13.jpg

A couple things to mention here:

- Snow Leopard doesn't recognize the Celeron 743 CPU, incorrectly report it as 4.1GHz (thought it would confuse it with Xeon)

- Graphic Card support: partially. The Intel GMA950 driver works on the Intel GMA4500MHD graphic chips on board, but it's not ideal, maximize resolution is not available for 1366x768(native). There is a Intel GMA4500MHD kext on kexts.com, but I had no luck getting it installed successfully.

- Ethernet not tested

- Wireless-N card works PERFECTLY as long as you stick with Broadcom chipset (I.E. Dell Wireless N 1510 mini PCI card, they are on sale on eBay for $25 or so)

- 1.3MP Webcam works PERFECTLY right out of the box

- Sound/Speaker/MIC not working out of box.

- eSTAT port not tested

- Express34 port not tested

- 5-in-1 card reader not tested

- Bluetooth not working out of the box

- Hard Drive falling sensor not tested

Lastly, the internal built-in 6-cell 35WH Lithium battery lasts about 2:40 minutes with Snow Leopard on light duties. The geekbench score suggests that Celeron 743+2GB DDR3 RAM+250GB conventional HDD is about 20% faster than a Dell Mini 10v with Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz + 32GB SSD + 2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM, which in turn is about 25% faster than a Dell Mini 9 with Intel Atom N270 1.60GHz + 16GB SSD + 2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM, of all those I own.

Price-wise, it might not a justification to get it (over Dell Mini 10v or Dell Mini 9) for hackintosh purpose. However, you get a much better workable 13.3 inch screen with standard 1366x768 resolution and a full regular size keyboard and super thin profile of the aluminum casing, which is definitely an eye-catcher at the airport or on the train/bus. Best of all, it's only a fraction of the cost for MacBook Air, which is what Dell would position Vostro V13 against.

just finished installing ideneb 10.5.6 it boots fine. i just used one of the netbook templates that they have. i just want to see if its capable to be a hackintosh. i will play more of it using another distro.

to far Out of the box (idened) NOT WORKING

1) graphx QE Support. default 1024x768

2) eth

3) wlan

4) sound

Yeah, it's a shame. Apple has vanilla support for Intel GMA3100, wasn't that supposed to be easier to mod a voodoo driver for Intel GMA4500MHD?

Luckily though, it seems some of the basic functionality are universal so that Intel GMA950 driver can be used for Intel GMA4500MHD chips.

To my knowledge Intel 4500 graphics have never been supported in OS X. A real shame as it is everywhere.

Khan

• 5 months later...
Yeah, it's a shame. Apple has vanilla support for Intel GMA3100, wasn't that supposed to be easier to mod a voodoo driver for Intel GMA4500MHD?

Luckily though, it seems some of the basic functionality are universal so that Intel GMA950 driver can be used for Intel GMA4500MHD chips.

The Vostro v13 can be fully hackintoshed. There is full support for the graphics and audio. Use Voodoohda for the audio and the latest Netbootmaker for the graphics. It will automatically adjust the graphics for you

• 3 weeks later...
I would be interested in hearing others experiences with the v13. Looks like a nice little unit. Do all v13 configurations work with OSX?

I'm not sure about it working 100% with OS X 10.6 put i have got it working a little. I have managed to get it to install with some trouble (will post basic instructions and BIOS pic later on) and have Audio working. Inbuilt LAN and WiFi are NOT working. YES you can get full resolution of the screen but Quarts is NOT working so no 3D effects, no iLife apps.

will keep on going and bundle together the drivers that work when I'm either done or have gone as far as i can be bothered to go.

Rightio chapps. i have OS X 10.6.0 running fine on a Dell Vostro V13,... actually i am currently writing this on it. so i have taken some notes on what to do.

What you will need to know

Dunno why but for me the installation wouldn't start while on AC power, it had to be running off the battery. weird i know. maybe different for you.

I updated my Vostro's BIOS to A05, you may not need to do this. i did it before i started so yeah. it may even help if you dont do it. i dunno.

What you will need

Access to a real MAC

an 8GB flash drive

An internet connection

I have the following working

Inbuilt LAN

Webcam (worked out of the box)

Bluetooth

Audio, (although it makes a strange hissing noise, but it does work)

What i am still working on

WiFi

GPU Acceleration, Screen resolution is fine.

Although im not sure if i will be able to get these working as by the research i have done it sounds like few people are working on it.

Downsides

Battery lift is pretty bad, im getting about 2hrs

Right so installation.

get yourself a mac and do the whole copy the disk to a flash drive thing. its pretty easy to find instructions to do this.

download Netbook Installer, i used 0.8.4RC1

http://code.google.com/p/netbook-installer/

run that and give it your flash drive you just formatted. pretty self explanatory.

right so when your done start the vostro up and go into the settings. this is what i had setup to get it to work, yet again this maybe different for you it just what i used.

hspbms.jpg

also change the default first boot device to USB

now save and exit BIOS

take out the power cord (if you have it plugged in) and run on battery power. dont worry you just need enough power to start the install NOT complete it.

when the boot screen comes up dont boot it strait away, type "-x -v" without "" then boot

this may take some time to come up.

eventually the gui comes up and askes what language, feel free to plug back in the power cord.

Right now im going off memory now so this may not be 100%

now format you laptop hard drive, to do this goto Utilites-> Disc Management (or something like that)

find your hard drive and select 1 partition, then click options i think then change it from MBR to GUID

partition the drive then exit out of the utility, then it will go back to the Setup.

go through the setup. should take 20-30min

when it finishes do not reboot strait away

click utilities again and then select netbook installer

just leave the default options and click continue or install whatever it is. when its done, then you can reboot.

reboot without the flash drive plugged in.

answer all the first boot questions and get into the desktop.

now lets get your devices working.

Audio

so for audio you want to get VoodooHDA, i used version 2.7.2 and it worked for me but im sure other versions work as well. download and install that and reboot and you will have audio.

VooDooHDA Link

Bluetooth

rightio for bluetooth download and install something called DellBluetoothHCI.1.2.pkg reboot and BOOM working

Link to file at thred

LAN

Download RealtekRTL81xx.kext and go the following

Click Go, then "Go to folder" /Extra/AdditionalExtensions/ and put a copy of RealtekRTL81xx.kext in there

then go back to /Extra/ and run UpdateExtra.app

and then reboot, and you inbuilt LAN should be up and going.

Link to drive site

And thats all i have done at the moment... i know its not much, but i have been doing it while at work so i havent been working 100% at it. i will attach the files i used but it's probably better to use the download links so you get newer versions.

would love for some more input into it and if someone else gets some stuff working i would love for someone to let me know.

RealtekRTL81xx.kext.zip

DellBluetoothHCI.1.2.pkg.zip

VoodooHDA_2.7.2.pkg.zip

• 4 weeks later...

thanks doofguru for having given this a try.

i have the celeron m 743 model and tried installing snow leopard. it installed fine.

wifi dell 1397 - straight away worked

webcam - worked

graphics - did not look the best, resolution could be better i think

power management - suffered.

bluetooth - worked after installing the kext

audio - worked after installing the kext - but the hissing sound drove me mad.

lan - worked with kext (i think, i dont really use LAN anymore).

USB - i think it worked straight away

Dell 5530 - did not work obviously. it would be great if we could find a kext somewhere for it...

i think there's a little bit more to go, ive reverted back to windows 7 64bit for the moment, the audio was driving me mad.

but id be the first to try if it gets a little better, thanks for the effort!

• 4 months later...

just wanted to drop a line and say thanks again to doofguru for putting this post together. we got some of these at work and upon using it as a windows machine thought, hmm, this isn't a bad pc, can it be hacked to run osx? turns out, it can. this machine is MUCH better than the mini 10v and msi wind i had hackintoshed previously.

i'm surprised there isn't more discussion going on about this model, especially since they were just on sale for $350.

here's my experience so far..I followed doofgurus post completely except for disabling LAN in the bios. I used disk utility to format and opened netbootmaker from utilities before restarting. it was a slow first start, but it got it. I've only had the chance to install the ethernet kext so far which worked perfectly. wifi doesn't work but i'm thinking it MAY take an external card or we can replace the internal with a compatible.

gonna sit down again with this tomorrow and probably try to update just to see what happens. anyone else having luck with the Vostro V13?

Im typing on my Dell V130, running OSX 10.6.1 Ethernet is working fine after kext fix. I replaced my WIFI_1702 card with a $6.99 WIFI_1397 I bought on Ebay. The 1397 worked OOB.

Issues:

USB is intermittent. I heard the Realtik Ethernet fix would fix the USB issue, but its not consistent.

Bigger issue is video resolution - its at 1024x768 (32bit), not the 1366x768 native resolution and I haven't found a fix for this yet.

Im typing on my Dell V130, running OSX 10.6.1 Ethernet is working fine after kext fix. I replaced my WIFI_1702 card with a $6.99 WIFI_1397 I bought on Ebay. The 1397 worked OOB.

Issues:

USB is intermittent. I heard the Realtik Ethernet fix would fix the USB issue, but its not consistent.

Bigger issue is video resolution - its at 1024x768 (32bit), not the 1366x768 native resolution and I haven't found a fix for this yet.

Anyone tried EXTERNAL video to a monitor? do you get the output?

Thanks.

Anyone tried EXTERNAL video to a monitor? do you get the output?

Thanks.

I'll give it a shot this week, all my monitors lying around are DVI input, so I need to track down a VGA cable. I also havento tried HDMI out yeyt and will do so as well.

I still don't have mine yet but have you all tried anything in here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;hl=gma+4500

Looks like native resolution is do-able but no hw acceleration yet

Love the idea to switch wireless cards. Lots of them on ebay for around 10.00

Thanks,

Using netbookmaker 0.8.4rc1 i was able to get native res, any other version and i get 1024x768.

i had to delete a few kexts from /S/L/E to get that folder under 256MB which is a limit in netbookinst 0.8.4rc1 so i was able to keep native res with 10.6.7, i simply deleted all nvidia/ati kexts.

also had to disable flash so safari wouldn't beachball and practically die on pages with any flash, haven't tried one of the old flash releases yet.

also have a stuttering problem with videos, then again i'm got the celeron ubuntu model maybe the beefier models have no problem, wireless worked just fine (probably because the linux dell has the broadcom and not intel)

After spending FAR too much time working on this this weekend, I seem to finally have come across a combination of things that make most things work. I did replace the WIFI card and I have 4GB of ram but here is what I have found...

I booted to netbook CD from Mechdrew's site and then I installed Hazard 10.6.6i distribution (I am installing to a mbr partition and I could not get the retail disc to do this without having a mac which I did not have access to). I checked the Audio kext and network from above and also checked the x3100 graphic driver and Chameleon RC5 with forcewake. I may have checked a couple other things, but I don't think so.

After the install gets through, you have to restart using "-x -v" or it will not boot. Once it boots the first time, I didn't need to have any options for the second boot. Then I installed netbook installer 0.8.4RC1. I unchecked fix bluetooth and checked the hibernation option so it would be disabled and unchecked the remote CD option. Once that install was over, I restarted and again used the "-x -v" option on the first boot (I believe I got an error on the first boot after installing if I didn't do this - going from memory). And then I was able to restart as normal.

I did have to resinstall the Voodoo HDA kext from above posts as I was getting weird things otherwise. But the resolution was working at 1366x768 (or whatever native is), USB was working, network wireless was working, the touchpad was clicking after changing a setting in system preferences. The video camera was working. I didn't install the bluetooth kext from above as I really don't need bluetooth. I wasn't able to check the memory card slot to see if it worked.

Basically what I found is that if I try to make any changes from here or install the netbook installer 0.8.5 PRE, I lose the native resolution and nothing short of a reinstall seems to get it back. The file I attached in previous post works fine in 10.6.0 but doesn't work in 10.6.6. And I have not been able to get the 10.6.7 combo update to install at all without getting kernel panics. I really only needed something above 10.6.3, though, to run iLife (although iMovie will not work because Quartz in not enabled... and trying to use info and kexts found that are supposed to enable Quartz with this video card don't seem to work for me... back to the old resolution that can't be rectified and a reinstall).

Now that I have USB working and the OSX working, I may do a backup and try to do the patches to let me install the retail DVD to an MBR partition and start using that instead of the Hazard distribution, but for now I am probably just going to install the programs I need and leave well enough alone. The screen resolution was a killer for me unless it was native as it was just not clear enough. Now I can see...

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file...1037&page=3

This I found but didn't work for me... Maybe will work for retail image

• 2 weeks later...

I got the native work work the first time with osx 10.6 with boot loader 8.4RC1 with all the ktexts from the above link. Also updated the wireless card and 4gb of ram. Runs great. However, I'm not sure how to run 10.6.2 and later.

Anyone got any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
I got the native work work the first time with osx 10.6 with boot loader 8.4RC1 with all the ktexts from the above link. Also updated the wireless card and 4gb of ram. Runs great. However, I'm not sure how to run 10.6.2 and later.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Download the latest combo update, 10.6.8 works, I just tried it. Install it but don't reboot when it asks you to, just leave it there.

Delete all NVidia and ATI kexts from /System/Library/Extensions so that the folder is under 256MB, then rerun the netbookinstaller app with the options you used before, when it's done you can then proceed to reboot.

You could very well use:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce*
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA*

It has worked for me with both 10.6.7 and 10.6.8

I just wanted to say I have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 running just fine on my Vostro V13.

Currently my V13 is able to dual boot between Windows 7 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with native resolution. Also installed some kexts that fixed problems with Lan and audio.

I notice there is a sleep/wake issue while in OSX. When I wake my V13 from sleep mode or when I open the led the computer seems to freeze. I was wondering if there was a solution to this problem?

There's also an issue with Flash. When I visit YouTube on Firefox and click on a video it just shows a white screen but I can hear audio but for some reason I'm able to watch videos on YouTube.com just fine on Safari but video also shutters when I watch it in full screen in Safari.

I'm assuming this is an issue with video drivers.

My system specs are Core 2 Duo U7300 1.30GHZ with 4GB Memory

• 3 weeks later...

Please help us with details on what installers you used. I had my V130 (not V13) working with NAWCOM's method, but hosed it trygin to update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.x

Please help!!

Thanks

I just wanted to say I have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 running just fine on my Vostro V13.

Currently my V13 is able to dual boot between Windows 7 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with native resolution. Also installed some kexts that fixed problems with Lan and audio.

I notice there is a sleep/wake issue while in OSX. When I wake my V13 from sleep mode or when I open the led the computer seems to freeze. I was wondering if there was a solution to this problem?

There's also an issue with Flash. When I visit YouTube on Firefox and click on a video it just shows a white screen but I can hear audio but for some reason I'm able to watch videos on YouTube.com just fine on Safari but video also shutters when I watch it in full screen in Safari.

I'm assuming this is an issue with video drivers.

My system specs are Core 2 Duo U7300 1.30GHZ with 4GB Memory

• 3 weeks later...