OS X LiveDVD Development Thread

REVENGE

37 posts in this topic

We need to get hold of that DVD to tear it apart...
right. I have scanned all available "sources", but that babe is still too fresh. Right now it looks as if someone will have to buy it (most efficient the upgrade for just $ 25).

it just looks like a sytem recovery dvd.. not the type of livedvd that we want to create. it may help with files/ideas on getting a proper livedvd working but it looks like mobdin has already provided us with the basics in this thread : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22193 He has already got a working dvd with finder and dock but is using the 10.4.1 kernel. I am going to try mobdins instructions on the 10.4.3 dvd and see what happens. After that we need to customize the dvd and tidy it up a bit.

Still, if anyone can get a copy of this DVD i'm sure it will come in handy at some stage.

Dragon

it just looks like a sytem recovery dvd.. not the type of livedvd that we want to create
I wouldn't be so sure about that until booting that disk ..
Mobdin .. has already got a working dvd with finder and dock ..
.. but it is based on Apple's install DVD and even launches the installer first thing (which he probably could have closed by going into the dock, right click on the Installer icon, force quit, but oh well ..). Micromat's version must boot right into the finder in order for their app to work, so that's one step further, see?

I would love to know what version of the OS they use, and if other Apple utils (like Disk Utility) are also accessible - and if so if drag&restore works with DU ..

Well we'll see what we can do with it if we get a copy. If the DVD has code built in specifically for recovery I would think that it would be harder to patch than the install DVD which already loads the basic operating system.

Yes I agree revenge, IF we can get it to boot 3rd party apps. BUT, the question will be whether or not it will be capable of booting them without a lot of patching. This company have turned the DVD into a recovery tool specifically to do that. It may be a help or may contain files that are needed in creating a live 10.4.3 DVD, but like I said in my previous post I think it would be way easier if we created the liveDVD using the install DVD because I can't imagine what this DVD would have that wouldn't be included in the version Mobdin created of 10.4.1. The DVD may contain some files that are needed to get the 10.4.3 kernel running and we'll have to have a look at it when we get hold of it. Mobdin has shown that modifying the install DVD will give us a liveDVD that will boot 3rd party apps and has almost the same functionality as an actual install would. All it needs is a new kernel (still haven't tried mobdins instructions on 10.4.3 dvd) and some tidying up. This recovery DVD is also for intel macs so you will have to apply a kernel patch. So do you think it would be worth it to create a x86 patch for this DVD or customize the original installer which is already packages together and running WITHOUT 10.4.3.

I personally think we would be better off having a look at this recovery DVD and adapting some of the code to execute applications from it.

Anyways revenge, what could you possibly need from this DVD that couldn't be achieved in the install DVD. So I agree with you that it might help incase some files are needed to get everything running but I don't think we should be working on patching this recovery DVD seeing as we have already made progress on getting the install DVD running live.

Dragon has also got a point in the fact we need to continue to use the 10.4.1 Darwin bootloader due to the fact later upgrades use the EFI booting method meant for *real* macs. Therefore as the recovery DVD is designed for real OS X environments then it msot likely does not have the Darwin boot loader. This recovery DVD will still prove useful after the BIOS boot loader does its bit though.

Of course we aren't going to work on patching this dvd, that would be pointless and VERY illegal. However, as for loading it up with the existing kernel patches and seeing how far it goes, that might be useful. As for the issue with the bootloader, well we already HAVE prebuilt images with the darwin installer bootloader attached, so that is of little consequence. Just a matter of cloning this image onto that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there any live dvd we can download yet? (apart from the kismus hackintosh dvd). The Kismus hackingtosh dvd is fine, but I don't know how to add application into it... If you only add the app to the ISO, it doesn't seem to work, I tried this with superduper and I can't load it from the DVD.