Snow Leopard USB 2.0 Problem

21 posts in this topic

I installed Snow Leopard using Empire EFI and updated to 10.6.2. Everything works great except for my USB. Sometimes my USB will show as 2.0 and sometimes it is 1.0. When I tried to boot in 64 bit, my desktop freezes and I have to wait about 5 minutes or so before I can do anything.

If I delete AppleHPET, my start up time is really slow. Normally it takes about a minute to boot up but when I deleted HPET, it takes closer to 5 minutes. I attached 2 startup logs below. 1 is with USB 2.0 and the other was from a boot a few minutes later and I got USB 1.0. Both startups were the same, I just hit the power button and let it boot. No options were chosen. Can someone please take a look at these? Thanks

Edit: I noticed the difference between logs is here:

USBF: 9.134 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff80063a8000]: unable to get filterInterruptEventSource

USBF: 9.134 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff80063a8000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

USBF: 9.136 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff80063a8000]::start unable to initialize UIM

USBF: 9.363 AppleUSBUHCI[0xffffff8025b55000]::start unable to initialize UIM

USBF: 14.368 AppleUSBUHCI[0xffffff8025af0000]::start unable to initialize UIM

Why would this only happen on some boots and not all of them? What can be done to fix this?

Mobo - Asus P5W DH Deluxe - latest bios version

Intel E6700 - 2.67ghz

3GB Ram

HDD - 500GB SATA

DVD-RW - SATA

Nvidia Geforce 8600GT

Terminal_Saved_OutputUSB1.txt

Terminal_Saved_OutputUSB2.txt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my problem is a bit different

i have 6 usb connectors on the desktop pc and i use all of them.

4 out of 6 working everytime.

but 2 are only sometimes. then i have to reboot and working again..or not.. quite random.

annoying and weird.

has anyone the same issue?

edit: the above kext solved this on 10.6.3

EHCI Unable to gain control from BIOS is apparently to do with IOUSBFamily kext

see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=28559&st=0

So i'm bemused by the IOPCI.. kext replacement. I've downloaded it, so lets see if it works..

Nope. Didn't do a thing. What we need is a IOUSBFamily.kext with the correct EHCI controllers in it...

Patch the device IDs of your USB controllers in DSDT, like this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

That webpage does NOT look like a walk in the park... I've got as far as obtaining my DSDT.dsl which i've attached.. but that comes from a system WITHOUT the USB2.0 working.. I can boot into windows 7 on the same machine, but i've no idea how to obtain the DSDT for that..

I've attached 2 DSDT's but they're both identical for the USB section which is shown below :

Device(USB0)
{
Name(_ADR, 0x00040000)
Name(_S1D, One)
Method(_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
{
	If(LOr(LEqual(OSFL(), One), LEqual(OSFL(), 0x02)))
	{
		Return(0x02)
	}
	Else
	{
		Return(0x03)
	}
}
Method(_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
	Return(GPRW(0x0D, 0x04))
}
}
Device(USB2)
{
Name(_ADR, 0x00040001)
Name(_S1D, One)
Method(_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
{
	If(LOr(LEqual(OSFL(), One), LEqual(OSFL(), 0x02)))
	{
		Return(0x02)
	}
	Else
	{
		Return(0x03)
	}
}
Method(_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
	Return(GPRW(0x05, 0x04))
}
}

dsdt.dsl.zip

I'm not going to do it for you when there's a perfectly fine step-by-step guide available!

Just take it easy and read everything first before you jump in.

It doesn't matter if USB is working or not when you extract the DSDT, the code won't change. As long as the DSDT comes from your own motherboard (and it was extracted on a running system, NOT from a BIOS file) it should be fine.

You can extract your DSDT (in fact you should extract and carefully examine all your ACPI tables, especially the FACP and SSDT ones are useful if you want to work on getting Native speedstepping working) in Windows using Lavalys Everest corporate edition. Then decompile, modify and compile the DSDT on OS X using DSDTSE.

You can find DSDTSE here: http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

and LSPCI (you will need this tool as well) here: http://www.osx86.es/?p=620

IORegistryExplorer and the USB debug kexts are part of XCode, which you can download from the Apple Developer site for free (registration required) or you can simply pop in your Snow Leopard installation DVD and install it from there (don't forget to run software update afterwards).

I'll be happy to help if you have questions about any specific steps of zhell's guide/tutorial.

After making the required changes, post your DSDT and I'll help you (or someone else will) check if everything is fine.

Well I got as far as using my patched DSDT which i got from DSDT Patcher, and the biggest change I made was in the bios. I switched on Legacy USB to Enabled and not Auto, changed EHCI handover to enabled, and then changed USB speed to Full Speed and not High Speed, and when it boots into OS X I get both my full speed hubs back, running at 480MB/s!

I did not do dedicated device ID patching.

Here is the output to lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0a82 (rev b1)

00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0a88 (rev b1)

00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aad (rev b2)

00:03.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa4 (rev b1)

00:03.2 SMBus: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa2 (rev b1)

00:03.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0a89 (rev b1)

00:03.5 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa3 (rev b1)

00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa5 (rev b1)

00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa6 (rev b1)

00:06.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa7 (rev b1)

00:06.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa9 (rev b1)

00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac0 (rev b1)

00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aab (rev b1)

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1)

00:0b.0 SATA controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ab8 (rev b1)

00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac4 (rev b1)

00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa0 (rev b1)

00:15.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac6 (rev b1)

00:16.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac7 (rev b1)

00:17.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac7 (rev b1)

00:18.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac7 (rev b1)

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 087d (rev b1)

04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Unknown device 002a (rev 01)

...and this from 'sudo dmesg | grep -i USB':

USBF: 2.476 AppleUSBHub[0x66b4800]::start - USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x24000000)

USBF: 2.481 AppleUSBHub[0x66bca00]::start - USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x4000000)

USBF: 2.760 AppleUSBHub[0x66dba00]::start - USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x6000000)

USBF: 2.787 AppleUSBHub[0x66dbc00]::start - USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x26000000)

..and the important line from 'kextstat':

25 10 0x42c83000 0x57000 0x56000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.9.6) <14 7 5 4 3 1>

It might be interesting to add that i'm running with the debug version of IOUSBFamily.kext (396.4.7) - all i need is for my 10.6.3 kernel to run at 64 bit and i'm all sorted!

I did not do dedicated device ID patching.

You couldn't use the IDs in zhells post anyway as you have Nvidia chipset, the IDs used in the guide are for Intel ICH10.

You should experiment with using iMac10,1 as model identifier for better compatibility as it uses an nvidia chipset as well. Maybe even the same as your motherboard, not sure.

It might be interesting to add that i'm running with the debug version of IOUSBFamily.kext (396.4.7) - all i need is for my 10.6.3 kernel to run at 64 bit and i'm all sorted!

Snow Leopard is not like Windows, it can run 64-bit apps just fine with the 32-bit kernel and use up to 32GB RAM.

Read: http://www.osxbook.com/blog/

If you use iMac10,1 model identifier it should start in 64-bit mode by default, unless you have a kernel flag in /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist forcing it to 32-bit mode.

If you're using Chameleon 2.0 or a derivative, you can change your model identifier in /extra/smbios.plist. Read the Chameleon docs that come with the download for more info.

If you use iMac10,1 model identifier it should start in 64-bit mode by default, unless you have a kernel flag in /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist forcing it to 32-bit mode.

I've got an smbios from an imac10,1 but i stilol get it to boot in 64 bit.. it just doesn't get past kext load screen..

See my post on :http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020&pid=1446683&mode=threaded&start=100#entry1446683

Are you 100% sure that all your patched kernel extensions and whatever vanilla drivers you use are 64-bit capable?

Some older patched kexts are 32-bit only.

Have you tried flushing the caches before booting in 64-bit mode?

You can use 'Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner', follow the instructions I gave here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1442065

I am having USB issues also. I finally got 10.6.3 up and running aftera ton of tinkering. I have an ASUS G50vt core2 p7450 2.13 3m l2cache Nvidia 9800m GS 512mb. One of the main reasons that I want OSX is for LOGIC and TRAKTOR. My sound card-the audio 8 by Native Instruments needs usb 2.0. My system shows that the usb max speed is 12mbs under about this mac-more info. I have tried using the USB Family MOD, the IOUSBFamily kext, kext utility, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]-and nothing has worked. I am pulling my hair out, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

so I tried to use the voodoo site for help. I tried to type VBIOS=Yes|No USBBusFix=Yes and EHCIacquire=Yes at my bootloader. None were successful. I have also began to look into the DSDT patching. The tutorial was still confusing to me. Where do I insert the Method DTGP into my existing code exactly and how many entries should be there? Secondly, are the UHCI devices the usb devices where the code has to be replaced? Then, the part of the tutorial where it shows the end result; is that all that will be under my USB devices or is:

Device (UHC1)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)

[...]

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x02)

{

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

just going to be added to each respected device, in addition to the rest of the code?

Any help and advice would be great. Im not against paying for a patch!

I included my dsdt files

I also tried to use a DSDT from another G50vt that supposedly works I found online. I placed it in /Extra and then loaded by DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml. It did not work either.

attachments_2010_04_29.zip

I'm also having USB issues atm... can anyone here recommend some software to test the speed of my USB... I'm pretty sure its {censored}ed cuz it takes 2 hours to copy 4.3GB of data... and my iPhone won't connect AT ALL unless I put it into DFU or Recovery mode.

Stats:

=Hardware

-CPU: Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo (3.17 GHz)

-Mobo: Asus Maximus ii Formula (P45 chip) (latest BIOS)

-Sound: Supreme x-fi... built-in (VoodooHDA works great)

-LAN: Marvell... built-in

-Graphics: 9800 GTX 512

=Install Method

-SL Retail DVD (10.6.3) booted with RebelEFI ([url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] returns a EBIOS error when I insert and select SL DVD... no idea why)

-On first boot I use MyHack Installer 1.0.1 then I run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to fix what MyHack doesn't (Note: some kexts or options in the two installers never seem to load?)

- Audio - Works

- LAN - Works

- Graphics - Works (QE/CI)

- Reboot/Shutdown - Works

- Sleep - Not Tested

- USB - 2.0 Doesn't seem to work, iPhone won't connect at ALL.

• 4 weeks later...
Where do I insert the Method DTGP into my existing code exactly and how many entries should be there?

Download DSDTs from other people to see where they've added stuff. Same goes for your other questions, the thread with zhell's guide is full of patched DSDTs, download a few and compare to yours.

Use DSDTSE to edit and study DSDT dumps, it has a search function so you can quickly locate DTGP or UHC or whatever you're looking for.

http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a problem with getting any USB mass storage device working with 10.6.3. The mouse and keyboard worked OK.

I did an install on an Intel DG45ID board using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. After I disabled Legacy USB in the BIOS, the mass storage devices started to work magically.