10.6.2 blew up my hackintosh *PICS*

15 posts in this topic

SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.1 is running like a dream. Internet, Power Management, USB, Sound, QE/CI, Dual Monitors, etc. Then I try upgrading to 10.6.2. BIG MISTAKE!

It boots to my desktop. If I don't do anything it'll idle there. As soon as I try to do anything... CRASH! I noticed that if I remove my graphics string from com.apple.Boot.plist it will boot with stability again. Only problem with that workaround is that I go from dual 1680x1050 to one 1024x768 screen without 3d acceleration.

Help please!

• Mobo: ASUS P5K Premium
  • Graphics: Geforce 7950 GT 256 mb
  • Install Method: Retail Disc with Chameleon RC 4, DSDT sound tweak and kexts: AD1988bFix, fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, OpenHaltRestart

post-156657-1268154207_thumb.jpg

Willem12 i dont even know what to say to that other then it is what there is expected from a distro user...

Why reinstall something that might just be a quick fix...

new install.....is the best....keep it by 10,6.1

I had the same problem in 64bit mode...Nvidia driver

I dont know what kind of a bootloader you are using but for PC_efi etc you boot 32 bit by adding : arch=i386 and not -x32

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I booted with arch=i386 and everything works perfect again.

Added it to the boot.plist too so that I don't have to type it every time.

Re-install and keep it at 10.6.1..

Then edit SystemVersion.plist from Core Services and change it to 10.6.2 =D

SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.1 is running like a dream. Internet, Power Management, USB, Sound, QE/CI, Dual Monitors, etc. Then I try upgrading to 10.6.2. BIG MISTAKE!

It boots to my desktop. If I don't do anything it'll idle there. As soon as I try to do anything... CRASH! I noticed that if I remove my graphics string from com.apple.Boot.plist it will boot with stability again. Only problem with that workaround is that I go from dual 1680x1050 to one 1024x768 screen without 3d acceleration.

Help please!

• Mobo: ASUS P5K Premium
  • Graphics: Geforce 7950 GT 256 mb
  • Install Method: Retail Disc with Chameleon RC 4, DSDT sound tweak and kexts: AD1988bFix, fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, OpenHaltRestart

Aha! Another user with a similar issue.

Nvidia 9800GT (OC) 512mb - adding EFI string in 10.6.0 works a treat, however when I upgraded to 10.6.2 it KP's whenever I do anything (similar to above).

However, when I performed a re-isntall I got the KP's back too - the 10.6.2 update doesn't apply any firmware does it lol?

Going to do a fresh (blank harddisk etc) install to see if I can get it back ;)

djExtreme no apple dont touch the bios on the cards... but look in the kp then you can see what kexts that {censored}s up... if you look in the topic starters pic you can see it is Geforce ad other gfx related kexts...

it is easy to read what happens in a kp as it will write what kexts that is the problem... ;) it just dont write .kext after the name tho.. ^_^