The cheapest Xserve of all human history.

artemis06

6 posts in this topic

Here my project : transforming an old asus w1 laptop in a chip Xserve xd.

I have already installed mac os X server 10.5.8 on an Ide 3,5-usb connected HD. (the original 2.5 IDE HD is dead).

What I have to do :

-I want to add 2 mini-pci card sata (supporting raid 0 and 1)--> mini pci card

The question is this kind of mini-pci card will be recognize by os x? Wait and see...

-and build an Xserve box replica using anodized aluminium.

Here some pictures :

100306020325700123.png

100306020433821970.png

100306020601676022.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So you basically just installed OS X Server on the thing? It is a cool project, but coming from an IT environment I can tell you that rack-mounting, multiple network interfaces, multi-core Xeon servers, and redundant power supplies are what make it a 'server'.

So you basically just installed OS X Server on the thing? It is a cool project, but coming from an IT environment I can tell you that rack-mounting, multiple network interfaces, multi-core Xeon servers, and redundant power supplies are what make it a 'server'.

Coming from an IT backgound you should know that every laptop comes with it's very own UPS ... also known as the battery !! :)

• 4 months later...

great idea! although the fact that its a laptop seems to make it a little bit....ermmm weak IMHO. But the part that makes up for being a laptop is the fact that its running X Serve...now if only you could put a few of em together and run different services on each...then you would be talking with gas