Getting Started

4 posts in this topic

I have some programming experience in Windows and Linux and want to gain some experience in Mac programming. I primarily develop in C++ and want to know what tools I will need to start out with on the Mac. Preferably free tools!

Second are there any good sites to go to to get started? Mac uses Objective C is that correct? Is it far different from C++ or very similar?

XCode is Apple's own set of developer tools. You can grab the latest copy off of Apple's Mac Dev Center at no cost! While Objective-C is widely used for OS X and iPhone programming, the compiler can still compile C++ files. For learning I'm not so sure where to direct you having learnt Objective-C through a combination of an old teacher of mine (now a full time programmer) and some iPhone oriented tutorials (iCodeBlog).

Hope this gives you an idea,

iPoco

Note that XCode comes with OS X 10.6, although it's not installed by default. It should be on the DVD, though, if you've got a retail DVD. I believe an update is available, so you can either install from the DVD and then accept the update, or track down the latest version online and install it.