• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ripspinner

ripspinner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I have some programming experience in Windows and Linux and want to gain some experience in Mac programming. I primarily develop in C++ and want to know what tools I will need to start out with on the Mac. Preferably free tools!

Second are there any good sites to go to to get started? Mac uses Objective C is that correct? Is it far different from C++ or very similar?

iPoco

iPoco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,470 posts
XCode is Apple's own set of developer tools. You can grab the latest copy off of Apple's Mac Dev Center at no cost! While Objective-C is widely used for OS X and iPhone programming, the compiler can still compile C++ files. For learning I'm not so sure where to direct you having learnt Objective-C through a combination of an old teacher of mine (now a full time programmer) and some iPhone oriented tutorials (iCodeBlog).
Hope this gives you an idea,
iPoco

ripspinner

ripspinner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Thanks that will help me get started. It's good to know I can use C++, and I'll explore Obective C as I go.

srs5694

srs5694

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Note that XCode comes with OS X 10.6, although it's not installed by default. It should be on the DVD, though, if you've got a retail DVD. I believe an update is available, so you can either install from the DVD and then accept the update, or track down the latest version online and install it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy