Install on my sata hd from Leopard

24 posts in this topic

Hello everyone :(

I'm now running mac OS X 10.5.4 on my IDE hard disk, but I would like to install snow Leopard on my sata hard disk from 750gb.

Now, I saw a tut on youtube: this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZQ1EqFhKQ

But when I try to partition my harddisk I got a time out, and when I insert my iPc 10.5.6 disk and run the installation and go there to disk utility it sometimes partition but only as GUID and I have personally the best experience with MBR, so how could I let my mac partition my harddisk? I got this error:

Operation timed out

by the way, the guy from the tut is he using a distro or the original dvd?

Thx guys :)

do u know where to get that from and how?

no I don't but I also can't format it to GUID, the problem is that my leopard can't acces the SATA HD I think! When windows was still installed on it I could read from it but then it was NTFS, but I can't format it !

no I don't but I also can't format it to GUID, the problem is that my leopard can't acces the SATA HD I think! When windows was still installed on it I could read from it but then it was NTFS, but I can't format it !

When you run Disk Utility what shows up for your SATA HDD?

Being able to see/use the SATA HDD depends on your MOBO BIOS SATA Controller settings......also how the SATA HDD was partitioned/formatted when Windows was installed on it........it would have been at least one primary partition that was MBR partitioned and NTFS formatted.......OS X Leopard can read/write FAT32 formatted partitions but only read NTFS formatted partitions naturally.......to write to it requires 3rd party additional software being installed, such as Paragon NTFS or Tuxera NTFS for Mac or MacFuse NTFS-3G.....etc.

See my Snow Leopard install guide for nForce chipset MOBOs........ :wacko:

Hi verdant,

tried to format back to ntfs in windows setup and doesn't work anymore :s he says that he can't install windows on it, it pretends that it's formatting but when you hit next it gives the error that he can't partition the harddrive, and in my disk utility in mac it isn't also showing up properly, some times it does, sometimes it don't, when it does and I click format I got an error and then it disappears.

Is it possible that I ruined my hd with formatting from ntfs to mbr or something like that? It is still showing up in the bios.

Thx...

Hi,

tried with gparted format as ntfs and fat 32 but it doesn't show up on my mac. When I go to disk utility it keeps loading while it says gathering information about your disks or something like that, but when I go to serial ata in system profiler the hd is there but it still says mbr...

I'm getting desperate..

Thomas

Hi,

tried with gparted format as ntfs and fat 32 but it doesn't show up on my mac. When I go to disk utility it keeps loading while it says gathering information about your disks or something like that, but when I go to serial ata in system profiler the hd is there but it still says mbr...

I'm getting desperate..

Thomas

You can install SL on MBR........see Part E of my SL Install Guide......

some one has an idea? The best idee to format directly? So not from a OS?

Try a "zero fill" from DOS.......see here for Seagate SeaTools for DOS which is OS independent.....and here on how to use it...... :)

Hi verdant, on my sata harddrive I don't have the erase function, only on my leopard hard drive, but I don't want that ereased, it really looks I have a problem :s when I do a quick test it says passed

Hi,

Sorry I do not understand how this relates to my post above.......

You need to put SeaTools on a DOS floppy disk or on a DOS CD (read all links in my post above) and then connect your blank SATA HD to your PC MOBO and disconnect all other HDDs from the PC MOBO......then boot the PC from the DOS floppy disk or DOS CD.......and do a zero fill on the SATA HDD.......

I am assuming that you have your BIOS settings set correctly, so that the SATA controller and/or AHCI mode are enabled......

Hi,

Sorry I do not understand how this relates to my post above.......

You need to put SeaTools on a DOS floppy disk or on a DOS CD (read all links in my post above) and then connect your blank SATA HD to your PC MOBO and disconnect all other HDDs from the PC MOBO......then boot the PC from the DOS floppy disk or DOS CD.......and do a zero fill on the SATA HDD.......

I don't have the option zero fill :s

I do have it with other harddrives but not with my sata HDD

I don't have the option zero fill :s

I do have it with other harddrives but not with my sata HDD

Do you mean via OS X, or via SeaTools DOS floppy disk or CD.......? Please clarify.

SeaTools DOS cd !

Does the SeaTools DOS CD give you any formatting options for the SATA HD.......if not, it sounds like a "badly" messed up HDD........