How to Install iDeneb on VMware Player/Workstation/similar

7 posts in this topic

(This is a crosspost with my blog post)

Thanks to this tutorial for some pointers.

This method has been tested on VMware Player 3.0.1 with iDeneb 1.6 lite. As VMware Workstation is quite similar, this tutorial is expected to work under it as well.

1. You know what you doing, move zig
  2. Create a new virtual machine
  3. Select the iDeneb iso, and click next
  4. Set the OS to Other -> FreeBSD (64-bit untested)
  5. Give your VM a name, like "Mac OS X" or something as unoriginal as you want
  6. Make the hard drive about 15G or so
  7. You probably are at the end of the wizard now (unless you're using Workstation)
  8. Edit the VM (this can be done through the wizard if you're using Workstation)
  9. Set the RAM to something you like, at least 512M
  10. Go to the network adapter page and change it to bridged
  11. Close the settings
  12. Play/start/whatever the VM
  13. As soon as the "press any key to load Mac OS X or F8" screen comes up, press F8
  14. Type in: "-v -f busratio=10 cpus=1" without the quotes (your mileage may vary, maybe try 7 instead?)
  15. Wait for the flying text party to end
  16. Skip past the welcome, license, etc until you get to the destination selection screen
  17. Go into Utilities -> Disk Utility
  18. Erase the disc using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" (this should be default), with whatever name you like
  19. Go on, but then go into Customize
  20. SELECT THESE: Kernel 9.7.0, ACPI fix, Old PS/2 drivers, ICH fix (This list is off my memory, please tell me if this combo fails! Also I don't know how to get sound working)
  21. Wait. Twiddle your thumbs. Try to wonder what spectrum Portal is trying to comply with. Fall off a cliff (well no don't fall off a cliff).
  22. Upon restart, when Chameleon is counting down, give it the flags you used to go into the installer
  23. Go through the post install wizard
  24. Go into Terminal
  25. Run this command: sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
  26. Add these two lines:
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1280x800x32</string>
    Configure the string as you wish.
  27. For the <string></string> after <key>Kernel Flags</key>, fill it in with the flags from before (without the -v if you like the pretty Apple loading screen and/or if you hate flying text parties)
  28. Save
  29. Download the appropriate file from here (I used darwin-wks7)
  30. Go into VM -> Settings and mount the darwin.iso inside the package you downloaded
  31. Install
  32. You're forced to reboot
  33. Wait, enjoy, have fun, because you're done!

Hey look a screenshot (with the wallpaper changed to aurora)

post-500508-1267692545_thumb.jpg

You're welcome. I love you too.

REGARDING VMWARE TOOLS

According to the provider of the VMware Tools they only support:

* Copy & paste between host and guest

* Transparent mouse entry and exit to guest

* Shared folders

* VMware SVGA II video driver

I have only been able to verify copy&paste and shared folder functionality. I cannot get mouse entry/exit working, and I have not attempted to test the video driver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
thanks for the post, but it seems that i will not be able to do any VM emulation. According to Several posts, a non vt-x CPU will not allow me to do this. I have a Intel T6400

Not my area of knowledge but try Zenith432's SnowKitty Topic, link below, it may point you in the right direction, just do not expect too much performance.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

Not my area of knowledge but try Zenith432's SnowKitty Topic, link below, it may point you in the right direction, just do not expect too much performance.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

You were right Performance was really bad. Did actual install instead. Happy with my decision. Non VT-x owners get pwned. oh well