The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Snow Leopard!, Install tutorial included

Smo3

47 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, this tutorial is followup to the Leopard installation I think it's time to move out from Leopard and start working on Snow Leopard :)

Disclaimer: Please note that this tutorial is for educational purposes ONLY, and we do not endorse illegal activity such as breaking the Apple EULA (if it is valid in your country) by installing their software on non-Apple hardware, or downloading illegal pirated software from torrent sites. If you plan on doing any of these things, please stop reading now.

I have tested boot-132 method on F3Sc (also known as Z53S), but I think it should work also on other F3 series laptops. :)

So let's start.

One guy reported that after install Mac OS X failed to start, so I'm updating a little bit tutorial :D

CHECKLIST

- Boot-132 CD/DVD

- Retail version of Snow Leopard

- It's always good idea to backup your patched DSDT.aml if you have one

- External HDD or flash drive (to store dsdt.aml)

- And last but not least - Patience

Preparation

Because we are using original Apple DVD full hard drive should be dedicated for SL. Original DVD Mac OS X don't want to install on MBR HDD, so we need GUID mapped hard drive.

Note: playing around with partitions may result in loss of data. Neither I nor anyone else on this forum will not be held responsible if you lose information on your computer. Back everything!

You should install modified bios if you want two cores to work (Exceptions: F3JC, F3JV, and a few pre-Santa Rosa laptops), it often makes Bluetooth and FireWire work too! The modified bios will work great under any Windows, so don't worry about that. Place downloaded bios in any folder on your Windows partition for easy access (you can place it on pen-drive, external disk, etc), you should also download an original bios from Asus website, if anything goes wrong. I just put all different versions of the BIOS in a folder "C:\BIOS" and "C:\BIOS\mod\". Ensure you plugged your power adapter and backed up your files.

Remember any of us don't take responsibility if your flashing fails. Please don't sue us, it just what you can get while installing Mac on a PC.

Ok, bios ready now we need boot-132 iso. Download it from HERE (this iso is created by nonne9) and burn it, also you need retail version of Snow Leo (clue: try torrents sites :rolleyes: but if you like it - buy it ). So at this point I hope you should have already 2 DVDs (one boot-132 and one Snow Leo). Now if you have your own dsdt.aml copy it to external HDD or flash drive and if you don't have your own patched dsdt.aml insert Boot-132 CD/DVD into optical drive and from dir "Post-Install/Extra" copy dsdt.aml to flash drive or HDD.

Installation

Insert boot-132 DVD/CD into the cd-rom and boot from it after about a 20 seconds you should see Chamelion on the top of the screen and in the middle should be CD icon with text under it "SL boot132", after that you need to eject boot-132, insert Snow Leo DVD and hit F5. Few seconds later you will see again CD icon with text "Mac OS X Intallation DVD" navigate to this icon and hit Enter.

After Installer loads select your language, accept license. Now open Utilities->Disk Utility and format your entire hdd if it's partitioned as MBR in other case you can format just one partition. After formatting close Disk Utility, the rest of installation process is straight forward.

Postinstall actions

After install completes don't reboot. Connect your external HDD or flash drive, open Utilities->Terminal and copy your dsdt.aml to the root of your Mac OS X partition, after that you can reboot. When You'll see Asus logo on the screen insert boot-132 DVD/CD again into optical drive. when chamelion boots navigate to the Apple logo and hit Enter. You should see apple logo and spinning circle :) when you done with your "new product" registration open boot-132 DVD/CD there you'll find "Post-Install" folder. First off all install Chamelion next step should be copying Extra Folder to your HDD. If you have your patched DSDT.aml you can (and probably should) replace dsdt.aml in the package with your one. Now you can reboot and try booting without boot-132 DVD/CD.

You should install some drivers now :)

OHR, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooBattery, VoodooHDA, fakesmc, NVInject all drivers are x64

Dual boot (optional)

So you decided you need few OS - no problem :) after mac install just insert XP/Vista/7 CD/DVD and install as usual :) I have tried to install Windows 7 to GUID partitioned hard disk and had absolutely no problems :) so after MS Windows install boot from boot132 CD and from OS list select Mac. We now have to make the 2nd partition (your Boot-132 Loader) active. Enter the following in Terminal:

diskutil list

(lists your computers Hard Disk(s) and corresponding partition(s): take note of the Hard Disk where you have the partitions for the Boot-132 and your newly installed Leopard)

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

(where 0 is the appropriate disk identifier)

f 2

(where 2 is the correct partition number for your Boot-132)

write
y
exit

Quit Terminal and reboot.

Update to 10.6.2

It's easy, netkas wrote good article about that, full article you can find here.

How to update - it's easy.

Use any disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, for example - NullCPUPM.kext, install it to Extra mkext and reboot, of course if you made AppleIntelCPUPM to speedstep your cpu, you can skip this step.

Make backup of your kexts, you might need some.

Remove SleepEnabler.kext if you use it, this is very important step, old sleepenabler + new kernel = panic.

Hit the update button, if you need to edit some kexts AFTER update and BEFORE reboot - download and install update from apple site.

After reboot - re-add your device-ids to kexts where you need it and enjoy.

Updated sleepEnabler for 10.6.2 - link, I binpatched the old one, so don't ask for sources, I don't have them, install(if you want) only AFTER updating.

Radeon 4830/4850/4870/4890 users, tired of adding device-id to ATI4800Controller.kext after every update ? Use this kext in Extra mkext.

Also, for atheros users, here is legacy kext for it, to stop thinking about dev-id insertion after every update, we made it together with XyZ, add your dev-id to it in two places and install to Extra mkext, the unique feature of it is ability to load old kext in 32-bit mode and new kext in 64-bit mode, this is needed because some users have problems with signal level and new driver.

Update to 10.6.3

Again it's easy :) Update your bootloader to Chamelion v2RC4 (after update to v2C4 you need to delete all restart kext) and install combo update from apple. Note: If you are using VoodooHDA kext you need to delete AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E)

After update VoodooHDA works perfectly with ALC660-vd, even sound on speakers :)

Known issues

- No camera (even not listed in system profiler) :D

Final notes

Thank you for using our tutorial, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. If you find any errors in this tutorial also please let us know so we can fix it! Good luck and enjoy your new OSx86 system!

And thanks guys for great Leopard thread and support :) hope this tutorial will help someone just like old thread helped me :)

Last updated 2010.03.13 12:06 GMT+2

Small additional info:

-Bootcamp works great

-Hibernate OK

-Sleep Great

-SpeedStep OK

-VGA output OK

My System:

-Intel C2D T9600 2,8GHz

-4Gb 800MHz DDR2

-500GB HDD

-Nvidia GeForce 8400mg 128 vram

-Wireless Broadcom4512 and Intel3945

Smo3 - first of all - thanks for getting this thread started for the asus f3S series. i currently have been itching to make the move to SL but couldn't find ..er..(went to store to buy it ;)). i will be using your tutorial to test my asus F3sv laptop with SL. i will be report soon with successes and failures.

thanks again

tut126

Smo3 - first of all - thanks for getting this thread started for the asus f3S series. i currently have been itching to make the move to SL but couldn't find ..er..(went to store to buy it :) ). i will be using your tutorial to test my asus F3sv laptop with SL. i will be report soon with successes and failures.

thanks again

tut126

tut126, you'r welcome :D I also installed Mac OS X from original Apple DVD :) I have updated tutorial a little bit, because one guy reported some problems :) At this point I have almost full Vanilla install :) I have deleted only AppleHDA.kext from S\L\E\ and installed VoodooHDA.kext :) everything else is in Extra folder :)

the boot132 iso u provided does not work...

there is no option in it to boot from DVD only HDD..

it asks you to put the hex code in for the device (80 is the default HDD one)

it worked without any problems for me, When boot-132 ask hex code just hit enter, default value as far as I remember is EF after that will boot Chamelion ;) I done this installation about 5 times on my laptop and few times on other laptop (Dell Inspiron 1520). And done installations exactly as I wrote :)

I

Thanks so much for this thread! I burned the Boot-132 CD but I don't see any "Post Install/Extra" dir to get the dsdt.aml file from. What am I missing here?

Thanks again!

I think you are using a different ISO file than what is currently linked. I get the same result as the poster above. It seems as though chameleon never loads and there are never any icons present.

I

I think you are using a different ISO file than what is currently linked. I get the same result as the poster above. It seems as though chameleon never loads and there are never any icons present.

as soon as I get home I'll check.

UPDATED

Sorry guys, my bad, I really linked wrong iso image. Wait a sec and I'll edit guide

UAPDATE 12:06 GMT+2

links updated, I made copy of DVD I have burned before, so now there is exact copy of mine DVD :wacko: enjoy and sorry once again :)

as soon as I get home I'll check.

UPDATED

Sorry guys, my bad, I really linked wrong iso image. Wait a sec and I'll edit guide

UAPDATE 12:06 GMT+2

links updated, I made copy of DVD I have burned before, so now there is exact copy of mine DVD ^_^ enjoy and sorry once again :)

Awesome, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Update to 10.6.3 went with out any glitch :) I'm now using only these third party kexts:

1. AttansicL1Ethernet.kext
  2. IO80211Family.kext
  3. IOATAFamily.kext
  4. IONetworkingFamily.kext
  5. IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext (for card reader)
  6. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  7. SleepEnabler.kext
  8. VoodooBattery.kext
  9. VoodooPower.kext
  10. fakesmc.kext

• 4 weeks later...

I second that. Could you please re-upload the kexts?

Also, How could you manage to make the QE/CI work with SL? I tried many injectors with no success on the same laptop. The menu bar was translucent but the QE/CI based apps (like front row) just gave me a black screen.

Regarding the camera,

I can use it only with a patched IOUSBFamily.kext under 10.5 maybe it's the same case with 10.6

Thanks,

mucsoo

Hello,

got a problem installing SL on my Z53Sv. In the beginning installation works fine.

I copied the dsdt file from the boot cd to the root of the macos partition but after

restarting the machine it says:

img0361ny.jpg

Tried a lot of different things yet... bios update, cpus=1 parameter but

nothing seems to fix that issue. It still fires up with the same error message.

Anyone got an idea?

Specs:

MacOS X SL 10.6

Asus Z53Sv

Intel Core2 T7300 2x2,0 Ghz

4gb Memory

Geforce 8600m

Intel WiFi

Bios while install original version 206,

Bios tested yet 207 and 208 modified.

greetz,

smoothny

Seems that you are using the wrong dsdt.

The dsdt generated for modded bios will not work with not modded bios and vice versa. These laptops mainly need the dsdt file for correcting the cpu cores got from the bios dsdt.

I got exactly the same error when I used a dsdt for normal bios on a modded bios machine.

Delete dsdt from the drive, boot with cpus=1 then try to generate your very own one with dsdt patcher and copy that to your root:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683

Hello,

got a problem installing SL on my Z53Sv. In the beginning installation works fine.

I copied the dsdt file from the boot cd to the root of the macos partition but after

restarting the machine it says:

Tried a lot of different things yet... bios update, cpus=1 parameter but

nothing seems to fix that issue. It still fires up with the same error message.

Anyone got an idea?

Specs:

MacOS X SL 10.6

Asus Z53Sv

Intel Core2 T7300 2x2,0 Ghz

4gb Memory

Geforce 8600m

Intel WiFi

Bios while install original version 206,

Bios tested yet 207 and 208 modified.

greetz,

smoothny

Mhhhh... I reinstalled MacOS and did not copy any dsdt file yet, but if I try to

boot with cpus=1 parameter I get exactly the same error message. I guess

it's the correct way to enter cpus=1 in the Chameleon boot screen, isn't it?

I am totally noob for OSX and follow the procedure but did not touch the bios yet, the installation seems OK, problem is, how can I copy the dsdt.aml from the flash pen to root with terminal command?

When the installation completed, is started with countdown, make me impossible to lunch terminal, even thou I restart the installation again, I failed to copy that file under terminal, because I don't know how to input the command line, haha, can anybody give me some help, please.

I decided to follow this tutorial exactly step by step as mentioned to install retail SL on my F3Sc

Checklist done

Preparation done/one partition/GUID/modified bios f3scas.209/copy dsdt.aml to flash pen

Installation done/uncheck printer/approx. 30 minutes/flash pen pulgin

Postinstall actions confused/by default, when installation completed, it started with reboot countdown, how to stop this? By the way, I failed to download the drivers, posted link seems invalid

Since I have no choice to stop reboot, I insert the boot-132 disk again and re-do the installation until I can reach the Utilities->Terminal

then I type

cd /volumes/usb <-- flash pen

ls <-- I can see the dsdt.aml there

cp dsdt.aml /volumes/MacOSX <-- OSX

cd /volumes/MacOSX <-- back to harddrive

ls <-- there are one file named dsdt.aml now

close terminal

force stop installation and restart computer, insert boot-132 disk, chamelion boots navigate to the MacOSX (Apple logo) and hit Enter

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, the press the Power button again." and different languages below

What did I missed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm trying to check all the stuff I need following your tuto for installinf SL on a ASUS F3Sc,

but I can't find any link to download the modified bios. I've clicked many links without success.

Could you please give me a working link to download the modified bios for F3Sc !?

Thanks a lot !

Hi,

I'm trying to check all the stuff I need following your tuto for installinf SL on a ASUS F3Sc,

but I can't find any link to download the modified bios. I've clicked many links without success.

Could you please give me a working link to download the modified bios for F3Sc !?

Thanks a lot !

You may want to check this link and page 7 (post #128) probably is the one, FYI, I use this too.

Wish you good luck

Hello

I have been trying to install SL on my Asus F5 series for past couple of days but Hazards distro only gives me "still waiting for root device" after installation. Would this method work on a F5VL you reckon?

My Internet is limited as is my pc knowledge so I need to know what to download because I won't have another chance to download it for another month. : )

thanks

Hi guys!

Tomorrow I'll re-upload kexts :) and I'll try to copy my current modded BIOS :) actually I have tried to boot system even without dsdt and it worked :)

That's great news, thanks ;)

Hi guys!

Tomorrow I'll re-upload kexts :) and I'll try to copy my current modded BIOS :) actually I have tried to boot system even without dsdt and it worked :)