Wheres Roesetta?

sieb

16 posts in this topic

Anyone here been able to get PPC apps to work (itunes, dvd player)? These don't work for me eventhough my proc supports SSE3 (P4 3.0E). Everything else runs fine, but PPC apps don't launch, I can't install PPC apps either. I went digging around but couldn't find anything having to do with Rosetta on the disk. Is it a framework? Or just built in?

Digging around on Apples site, PPC apps should have an option to run in Rosetta (click Get Info on the PPC app, should be a little check box under info), but I haven't seen this on my install. Hmm.. Perhaps we need Xcode 2.1? :)

Anyone? Anyone?

Anyone here been able to get PPC apps to work (itunes, dvd player)? These don't work for me eventhough my proc supports SSE3 (P4 3.0E). Everything else runs fine, but PPC apps don't launch, I can't install PPC apps either. I went digging around but couldn't find anything having to do with Rosetta on the disk. Is it a framework? Or just built in?

Digging around on Apples site, PPC apps should have an option to run in Rosetta (click Get Info on the PPC app, should be a little check box under info), but I haven't seen this on my install. Hmm.. Perhaps we need Xcode 2.1?  :)

Anyone? Anyone?

I wish I was here to help, just to say that I am experiencing the same thing. I dont know why Rosetta doesn't seem to work to run iTunes. I also have SSE3. I did the ubuntu live CD dd the image and booted right up great. Only missing Rosetta it seems, and I can't get my display to 1280 x 1024, only 1024 x 768, any help there? Dell 4600 compu

I wish I was here to help, just to say that I am experiencing the same thing.  I dont know why Rosetta doesn't seem to work to run iTunes.  I also have SSE3.  I did the ubuntu live CD dd the image and booted right up great.  Only missing Rosetta it seems, and I can't get my display to 1280 x 1024,  only 1024 x 768, any help there? Dell 4600 compu

why is iTunes running on Rosetta? Weren't the entire iLife software package ported to x86?

Digging around on Apples site, PPC apps should have an option to run in Rosetta (click Get Info on the PPC app, should be a little check box under info), but I haven't seen this on my install. Hmm.. Perhaps we need Xcode 2.1?  :(

Anyone? Anyone?

If you installed OSX using the deadmoo version (where all you have to do is dd the img to a blank harddrive), then you need to repatch some of the files with the originals from the Dev Kit. CoreGraphics is one of them I think.

Hey there is a way!

The file you need is coregraphics which i have attached.

Rename it to CoreGraphics.bak and paste it to /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A

in a terminal window:

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A 
chmod 755 CoreGraphics.bak 
sudo chown root:wheel CoreGraphics.bak 
sudo mv CoreGraphics CoreGraphics.i386 
sudo mv CoreGraphics.bak CoreGraphics

Reboot.

Then it should work.

I had the same problem. DO NOT use this patch.

Coincidentally, did the people who also had this problem use the same distribution as what was posted on UNEASYsilence.com? IE, the one where you dd a ready made image onto another drive?

I had the same problem. DO NOT use this patch.

Coincidentally, did the people who also had this problem use the same distribution as what was posted on UNEASYsilence.com? IE, the one where you dd a ready made image onto another drive?

Just did it, worked, itunes now works.....

Did you unrar the coregraphics first BEFORE renaming it :D

THANK YOU, I DID UNrar it.

Can people who have had trouble with their OSX86 installs as a result of this mod please post their installation platform, including what distribution they used, their processor, etc? I'd like to try to diagnose this problem, but need more information.

My install:

UNEASYSilence (tiger-osx86-flat.img)

SSE3-compatible Pentium 4 3.0ghz on a Vaio

Where is the attchment??

Hey there is a way!

The file you need is coregraphics which i have attached.

Rename it to CoreGraphics.bak and paste it to /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A

in a terminal window:

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A 
chmod 755 CoreGraphics.bak 
sudo chown root:wheel CoreGraphics.bak 
sudo mv CoreGraphics CoreGraphics.i386 
sudo mv CoreGraphics.bak CoreGraphics

Reboot.

Then it should work.

I got it to work! iTunes will open, but I still need to test some other x86 apps. I saw online that if you get stuck at the "swirly circle" during your OSX boot sequence, try typing "-v" at the Darwin boot. That got me in. The attachment was first (i think) located here - [Violation of DMCA] . The actual location of the attachment is at [Violation of DMCA] . I'm not sure about the status of that site, so you might have to look around if it's offline. Otherwise, try googling a line of that code.