What old Macs you have lying around?

BRP

129 posts in this topic

Anyone got a Mac that can't do OS X (given that it's working)? Or one that runs OS9 and OSX side by side?

I got a beige G3 (mmm, I wish I had the adapter that let you hook it up to a VGA monitor, though), and two Power Mac 5500's (utter {censored} due to insufficient RAM, craptastic processor, no USB, and lack of OS8.6 discs; I'm going to see what I can do with Linux on them... especially since one used to be a teacher workstation with composite video out jacks). Currently they all run 9.2.2

Power Macinthosh 6100/66 - 66Mhz, 72 MB EDO-RAM, 4.5 GB SCSI Harddisc and CD-ROM running Mac OS 8.6

im looking for a G4 Powerbook Titanium - 400 or 500 Mhz with 1GB RAM and about 20 GB harddrive - you can get them very cheap. about 300-400 Euros. maybe i'll get one of these in the future and throw away me ol' 6100/66

because sereously you can't do anything with it. not even surfing :hbd:

Edit: Oh, sorry i meant 6100/60 with 60 Mhz... my first PC was a pentium (socket 6) with 66 Mhz... really {censored} - that was abou '96

i got a power macintosh 5400/180...603 ppc cpu, 48 Mb ram, 1.5 gb hdd, os 9.1

i also got a power macintosh 7100/66...don't know the cpu #,250 Mb hdd, os 8.5, 64 Mb ram

the 5400 can do surfing.. a bit slow..i have a ethernet card in it and it worked in 8.6 but i upgraded to 9.1 and know it doesn't work...it's a Realtek 8029 (winbond chipset).

and now a beige g3

Edited by Taylor

My legacy inventory is as follows:

- Apple IIc (works, but don't have any floppies for it.)

- Macintosh SE30 (running System 6, Word 1.x (I think), and MacPaint. I only keep it around to show Windows users that I had back in 86 what they finally got in 95. A desktop you could actually use. :()

- PowerBook G3 Series (333MHz SCSI model. I know that's hardly legacy, but without Firewire it sure seems that way. I let my kids use it with a program called AlphaBaby, they love their laptop and they pretend to work like I do with mine.)

=)

my first PC was a pentium (socket 6) with 66 Mhz... really {censored} - that was abou '96

Ouch, I forgot about the 66, I was thinking they started at 100MHz, but you're right. There was a 66MHz version. (Essentially a spiced-up version of the 66MHz 486DX-2) The first x86 chip actually I paid for was a 233 MHz Pentium (with MMX even!). I remember how fast Windows 3.1 ran on that!! Then I put Windows 98 on it and it started crawling... =(

Oh, I never liked Windows 98 or the Sloppy Edition that followed. Windows 95 totally ruled, because it ran great even on the 66MHz 486 I had.

(Anyone run A/UX? Now that was ahead of its time.)

(Anyone run A/UX? Now that was ahead of its time.)

More than ahead of it's time, it was foreshadowing...

I actually tried Linux circa 1995 ish, but being a Mac user I found it to be way too complicated. (Why rebuild the kernel? Can't I just install one that works?) Then Apple went and pulled BSD out of their hat and now I love the command line. Linux has gotten a LOT easier to use over the last 10 years... (I love SUSE 10.1) but it's still got a long way to go before it's a true Desktop OS for the masses. (IE: the casual computer user would find it still too technical to set up and configure in many cases.) Geeks yes, Granny's no.

Sorry, we got :hysterical:.

:hysterical:

=)

Anyone got a Mac that can't do OS X (given that it's working)? Or one that runs OS9 and OSX side by side?

I got a beige G3 (mmm, I wish I had the adapter that let you hook it up to a VGA monitor, though), and two Power Mac 5500's (utter {censored} due to insufficient RAM, craptastic processor, no USB, and lack of OS8.6 discs; I'm going to see what I can do with Linux on them... especially since one used to be a teacher workstation with composite video out jacks). Currently they all run 9.2.2

Got an 7100@66 Mhz, and a 7300@166 originally, G3@400 add-on accelerator now. Plus a "pizza box" LC II.

I haven't experimented much with the 7100 due to its NUBUS configuration, but i still use it for its ProTools card.. As of the 7300 though, right after i got the G3 accelerator, I used XpostFacto to make it work with OSX. These machines (pre-G3 beige models) were not officially supported by Apple for OSX.

There's a company named Other World Computing that sells a lot of Mac hardware, and that's where i got my accelerator from. They are the same ones that offer the XpostFacto software for use with the newer processors.

And since you mentioned the VGA adaptor, if you can use the ebay, you'll find one very easily. What I did, since my 12-inch Apple monitor isn't anything to shout about, is this: I got a PCI Voodoo 3 3000 16MB graphics card PC version. Downloaded the equivalent Mac version BIOS for it, flashed the card with it, and have since been running swell with it. Both in 9.2.2 and in OSX under XpostFacto. That software allows you to use any graphics card you used with the 9 system under the same machine.

XpostFacto brings up a dialog when you boot your machine and lets you choose which of the two operating systems you want to initiate.

I also got me a combo PCI USB 2 and Firewire card built by Sunix for ~ 40 euros that works well, and a Sonnet Ultra ATA 133 PCI controller to hook up any hard disk or optical drive that i want.

It might be a G3 400 mhz machine right now, but deffinitely a heavy-loaded one, and does the job well!!

Hmm. We have a whole lockerful of old Macs going back to the 5mhz LISA with a 5mb hard drive. It could run Mac OS 6.0. Also some Starmax PowerPC clones. Just threw out a bunch of IIsi's and Performas LCII's. Used to overclock some older macs like the 7100/66 to a whopping 80mhz!!! We still use some B&W G3s, good for recording streaming radio shows all night. Also the old Powerbook 140 is still useful if you want to do serious writing without being distracted by internet, games or video since it's too slow to do any of that. Found one for $10 a few years ago!

Three month ago, as I moved, I had to get rid of my old Mac SE, SE30, quadra 650, powerbook 540c and a powermac 7500 with 112MB of ram.

I wish I could have kept my SE and my powerbook.

It's kinda funny to see a SE run MacOS 7.5 and word 5.0 with only 4MB of ram...

I also had photoshop 1 and 3, Illustrator 2, MacDraw pro,... and FlightSim 4 !

Plus a space shuttle simulator for mac 128.

Well since someone accidentally trashed my Mac SE FDHD (8MHz, 4MB RAM, 100MB hard disk), I've got another Mac SE FDHD, except the screen is dead (8MHz + Total System 68030 accelerator, unknown speed, 3-4MB RAM, 40MB hard disk). Even a working one can't replace the old tinkerings I had on that system. Ah...nostalgia.

I have my "Last of the G3 700" iMacs that I'm going to convert into a OS 9/Linux box. Sounds weird but I hope it works!

Well, for some reason OS 9 and Ubuntu Linux don't mix very well. So I had to make it an Ubuntu box. Now all I need to do is get a dial-up modem working (HELP, send PM so this doesn't go off topic) and then I can use it for things other than "Look, it's Linux!"

128K mac (not quite sure what its running.....)

SE/30 os7.1

Centris 610 - os8

-------------------

NeXT Cube (got more in common with OS X than any of the earlier listed!) 68030, mono monitor

NeXT Slab - 68040, color openstep 4.2

A Rosetta VM running in parallels - does that count?

-------------------

G4 Graphite AGP (tiger)

G4 Cube (1.2 G4, 1.5gb Ram, 120mb disk and a wicked ATI 9800) - Tiger

Quicksilver 2002 , dual G4 1ghz 1.5gb ram - Tiger

//R

Macs

Mac SE/30

Mac LC475

Power Computing Power Tower Pro

Powerbook 180

Powerbook 5300c

iMac G3 333

Powerbook G4 550

Non-Macs

Nextstation Turbo Color

Sun Ultra 64

Sun Ultra 2 Enterprise

Sun Sparc 5

Sun Sparc 20

HP C3000

HP 715 x2

Commodore Amiga 3000 (Sold Yesterday sniff sniff)

Commodore Amiga 2000

Commodore 128D

Commodore 64

Atari 1040STF

TI99/4A with PEB

HP-87XM

Kaypro 4 84

Apple IIe Platinum

Apple IIgs

Laser 128

Tandy TRS80 PC-1

Wanted

Commodore SX-64

Tandy Model IV

My wife says I have a "problem". What do you guys think? :|

i currently only have a Macintosh IIse or IIsc i can never remember. dosent run anything right now. stripped it of everthing its got. gonna be making it a matx hackintosh. (who said a Mac II couldnt run tiger?) altho with a super drive so i can make use of the floppy drive hole up front. its gonna be a cramped fit but hey i got alot of time on my hands.

Before my macbook, my only Mac (in the whole family) is a original Clamshell 300mhz iBook from 2000 with 5 gigs of hard disk, airport card and 300ish megs of ram. Recently my dad (who bought it, hated OS9 and has felt like a sucker since) asked me to put OSX on there for him to use. It now run Panther well...honestly its only problem is the 800x600 screen. Hope it gets him to get a newer Mac.

First Mac was a Mac Plus :happymac: with 4MB of RAM :king: and a floppy drive that did not like to work

My next working mac was a PowerMac 8500 -- that computer was great up until the processor died on it

----My neighbors also gave me an Apple ][GS which refused to run

Also had a Performa (was either a 630 or 640) which ran pretty well

Got a PowerMac G4 a few years after they came out

Also bought a G3 Blue and White tower to toy around with

;)