[How To] X800 XL set up with working Display Manager and QE/CI

phoenix3200

232 posts in this topic

I got mouse tearing but no QE or CI :) (.. any trouble shooting help? i'm thinking i missed something in callisto driver install.. i have a x300 5460 dev id on 10.4.8 (8.8.1 kernal)

As I was re-doing my OS recently, I figured it was a good time to give a guide of how you can get your hardware up and running. This is also partially an off-site backup of every step I performed, just in case my computer completely crashes.
Edited by muhammadbeig

@muhamadbeig: you have to follow Callisto's instructions by the line, really! Also, check the FAQ page (included in the callisto files) and the troubleshooting section. Did you set CallistoFB as your framebuffer?

Cheers,

hecker

Hello fellas. I have been talking alot about this. Somebody told me to upgrade to 10.4.8, but that wasn't a good idea anyway. A person called prasys told me to stay with 10.4.6, since there are no power management options for laptops in 10.4.8. So thats why i am here now. I have to assign GPU, sound and so on manually.

I stopped following your guide excactly where i could set resolutions. Worked like a charm. I use now 1050x1450.

Then i tried following up the rest of your guide. getting QE QI support. I had no luck! :(

Booted up my computer, everything seemed fine. But when the desktop was showed, I just saw a royal mess of rainbow color in squares and triangulates.

Could repair disk permissions fix this? Or do i have to run a cmd in Single users mode?

I got it done with the tips today. My card is X800 0x554F.

I patch the original ATIRadeon9700.kext coming with JAS 10.4.8 AMD INTEL DVD. Step 1 was skip but edit the com.apple.Boot.plist for resolution changed to 1280x1024x32 instead.

Still have mouse tearing but solved by using mighty mouse.

Thanks heaps, worked for me.

PCIE Powercolor X850XT (5d52)

Jas 10.4.8

Callisto b005 - monitor has to be plugged into port 1 (card has 2 DVI ports)

Also did the EDID trick talked about in Callisto b005 install guide. Not sure if necessary, tried it before I tried changing ports. Didn't work until I changed ports. Make sure you verify the Callisto stuff (resolution change) is working before getting into ATIRadeon 9700 stuff.

Then just did the Radeon9700 stuff as described on front page and its all good. Love the Itunes jukebox thingy, incentive to go and find all my album covers :P

Still got little screen glitches (assume this is "mouse tearing").

My other HW: AMD4000+, ASUS A8VE Delux, LG L1910B LCD screen

I will soon go ahead trying to install Boo5 one more time.

But first i want to know if i need to edit the hex. I find my Ghraphichs card in the both list. Dev id: 3050.Card model x600 mobility.

Phoenix says"

The following information was relocated from post #96.

If you're interested on whether or not your Device ID is already contained inside of the Info.plist file or in the file you need to HexEdit already, here's a list, with an (approximate) graphics card equivalent. If your card's Device ID matches the first list, you probably don't need to mess with ATIRadeon9700.kext; if it matches the second, I would not touch it at all."

I understand this like that i don't need to edit the kexts. Correct me if iam wrong. Thank you

Edited by radan

Unfortunately I cannot play games yet. Trying Monster pinball (from demonoid). Graphics are not working. Getting copies of the screen and they are all {censored} and purple. Will search around - but any tips would be really helpful

@radan: I did have to do the hex edit and plist text edit. But my card (or device ID) was not in the list

Edited by budswell

ok so I have been playing around with this and have a bit of a problem, I can get Callisto to work fine, resolution change, its the 9700 driver that is not working, I have tried it with Callisto installed and now I am just trying without Callisto. Every time I boot with the patched 9700 driver I get a black screen with my mouse pointer sitting there and thats it. The computer continues to boot from what I can gather from the HDD activity. I then have to reboot into safemode and change the 9700 driver back.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong. I have done everything just as the front page says. I have even tried the script thats in another post here. I also have tried 9700 driver from 10.4.4, 10.4.5 and 10.4.8, all do the same.

Edited by Sipheren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DeleteACCOUNT

Hello all, I have ATI Mobility X700 (Device ID: 5652) and Asus M6Va laptop.

My steps:

1. Replacing ATI*.kexts, AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext and OpenGL.framework from original 10.4.5 Intel Update.

2. Koverg patch 0.2 (QE, CI working)

3. Koverg - Callisto - Framebuffer All-in-one

sudo ./builddoe.sh 56 52

sudo ./doe.sh cal5 0x0x0 1 1  #Callisto 5/no resolution into com.boot.apple.plist/Patched Koverg driver/CallistoFB on

4. Repair ATIRadeon9700.kext (because the second script add only 0x56 instead of 0x56521002)

After restart I have full QE/CI support and I can set 1280x800 resoution, but the screen is flickering :)

post-87598-1172791801_thumb.jpg

I think it is error with display frequency. Could somebody please help me? Many thanks and sorry for my English.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a GTO2 device ID=5d4f, it is not listed in the first post and i've succesfully installed Koverg patch for full CI/QE.

The only thing i miss is Callisto... i have installed version 008 but the system crashes.

Where can i get older vers?

Hello Community,

first of all: Thanks for the great HowTo. It helped to get my Jas 10.4.8 to recognize my x800!

second: sorry if someone gets hurt by my bad english!

Well, i still have one problem that bothers me a bit. As i said my x800 (ID: 4a49) is running, i can change resolution and refresh rate but i just cant get QE/CI running :unsure:

I followed the whole HowTo but i have no clue what else i could do to solve it.

Maybe someone here can help me?! Thanks in advance!

Greetings from germany!

Hi all,

This is a really helpful thread and seems to me my only chance. Thanks.

I'm using JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel ISO with both the PPF patches.

I have a nForce 4 chipset with AMD processor with an ATI 800XL card.

Okay so my problem. I have a 800XL with a device ID the same as your s (554d). So I saw this guide and thought 'you beauty'.

I follow the steps to install Callisto (I dont need to change the IOPCIMatch because I have the same device ID). I run all the terminal commands and reboot. Nothing happens. My resolutions stays the same. I tried editing the com.apple.Boot.plist but that doesn't do anything either. So I enter "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" into the Darwin prompt on startup and that works (but I have to type it each time I boot, and performance seems slow). Anyway I continue...

Part 2 I don't need to change anything as CallistoFB was already there. When I go to Hex edit ATIRadeon9700.kext I can't find the string so hence I can't replace anything. The string to replace in Info.plist with TextEdit is not there (I added it onto the end myself anyway). I ran the terminal commands.

Nothing changes, no QE or CI. The only change was the one I made with the "Graphics Mode" command at the Darwin boot prompt). Any idea on this. I have the same card and device ID's as this guide, I would have thought I'd have it easy.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Rick.

P.S. Just in case it matters, I can't seem to get past the apple logo on startup unless I leave my JaS disk in, hit F8 when prompted and then enter 'rd=disk0s1 -v". That seems to be the only way I can get OSX to start. I wouldn't think this would effect anything done in this guide.

@ Daviduco as the Callisto website is down, you can get older versions here http://ftp.max-systeme.com/

@ phoenix3200 you may want to update the original post with this URL as it took some digging to find it.

hi all,

i just wanted to ask how i can extract the atiradeon9700.kext from a 10.4.4 dmg image i have. i've installed the jas 10.4.8 amd/intel, but based on the entries on this thread it seems that i'll need the 10.4.3-10.4.5 kext to enable graphics acceleration. for my radeon x700. any suggestions?

lots of thanks in advance

marticus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm still new to the hackintosh scene and I can't get my x800 gto 256 mb working.

I tried all the steps you tell us and yes, there is a change.

I can now change my resolutions but if I do so, my screen turns black and I have to reinstall my MacOS.

I really would like to get my gfx card running. Isn't there someone out there who can help me?

It's really appreciated. Tia. ;)

Greetz..........rze

can somone please post or pm me a link to Callisto's drivers I need 003 or 005. I tried the one linked on the forums (in italian) 003 and 006 but they didn't work for my m300. And starchaser.org is no longer up.

Thanks..

one last thing, i get the following error when using the version of the driver i have on 10.4.8. I have tried Callisto's 003 and 006 and the koverg's v2 patch.

VID: family specific matching fails

@ Daviduco as the Callisto website is down, you can get older versions here http://ftp.max-systeme.com/

@ phoenix3200 you may want to update the original post with this URL as it took some digging to find it.

Done.

Disclaimer: If Starchaser comes back up, I would recommend downloading it from there instead of from Max-systeme. Omni quit working on the project because of people hosting it/linking it from sites other than his, and I do not want him to think I am trying to undermine his work by posting an alternate address.

I have been out of the OSX86 scene for quite some time (I had a boot error and decided it was time to kill OS X), and as such, I can't directly help if you run into problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on how to remove Mouse Tearing? I see that this guide was written in 2006, has there been any progress on removing mouse tearing since this guide was first written? I haven't researched this problem much, but I just wondering if anybody had a quick solution to this problem.

• 1 month later...