[How To] X800 XL set up with working Display Manager and QE/CI

phoenix3200

232 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

maybe someone can help me to activated QE/CI my radeon 9550/256 mb/AGP on Jas 10.4.7??

please give me step by step procedure..

thankyou very much....

i'm really waiting.........

:2cents:

==========================

P4 3.0 Ghz HT

Gigabyte i865GV

512 mb ddr

HIS ATI Radeon 9550/256mb/AGP

SyncMaster 740N

First off, you have to use a separate line for each command. It looks like you figured that out.

Next, if you want to verify that Callisto isn't in the extensions folder, do the following under single user mode:

/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /system/library/extensions
ls callist*

You should see two things, Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext, if you installed Callisto. If so,

rm -R callist*

The next set of steps will probably fix your problems. It sounds like a problem with ATIRadeon9700.kext and not Callisto.

cp -R /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup/ATI* /System/Library/Extensions/ <To restore ATI kexts>
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
reboot

First off, you have to use a separate line for each command. It looks like you figured that out.

Next, if you want to verify that Callisto isn't in the extensions folder, do the following under single user mode:

/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /system/library/extensions
ls callist*

You should see two things, Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext, if you installed Callisto. If so,

rm -R callist*

The next set of steps will probably fix your problems. It sounds like a problem with ATIRadeon9700.kext and not Callisto.

cp -R /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup/ATI* /System/Library/Extensions/ <To restore ATI kexts>
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
reboot

I´ve gotten some help from a friend of mine who´s a bit more into Linux/UNIX.

You´re suggesting I remove Callisto?

Also, here´s the system log, when trying to boot with b006: http://rafb.net/p/eBqgix84.html

Checked the the extensions loaded (in System Profiler) with both b003_fixed and b006, and Callisto didn´t show up.

Also, how is the IOPCIMatch supposed to look? The PCI ID is 0x3150, and the string is like the following after editing: 0x31501002&0xffffffff.

I will try again with Callisto b003_fixed.

Edit:

Still nothing. Could someone give a list of their extensions. Would be very kind, so i can compare.

Edited by radan

I've been working on this with an ATI x850 PCI-E for months now. The farthest I've ever gotten is a black garbled screen. Can any of you who said you had success with this card help me out? I'm running 10.4.8 now.

The only thing I haven't tried is running older kexts: do I need 10.4.5 versions of IONDRVSupport.kext and ATINDRV.kext? Is this everybody's secret? Is there any more to it than that? Any help would be appreciated.

I've been working on this with an ATI x850 PCI-E for months now. The farthest I've ever gotten is a black garbled screen. Can any of you who said you had success with this card help me out? I'm running 10.4.8 now.

The only thing I haven't tried is running older kexts: do I need 10.4.5 versions of IONDRVSupport.kext and ATINDRV.kext? Is this everybody's secret? Is there any more to it than that? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, except I've got a built by ATI, Radeon x850xt AGP. I've tried this multiple times, and the furthest I've gotten was a garbled/artifacted patchwork at boot. It's really annoying too, since for some reason I can only boot off of the Install DVD to fix problems (let it time out and it boots from my HD, but it won't boot directly). I can't for the life of me get a the darwin bootloader to take to my hard drive.

So yeah, I'll go on record saying this guide WILL NOT WORK with 10.4.8 ATI kexts. You'll likely need the complete 10.4.4/5 ATI*.kext set, as the instructions in this guide indicate. I'm going to attempt this as soon as I finish cloning my current drive setup... since it's quicker for me to reimage the drive than it is to boot off the osx install dvd, fire up the terminal, and restore kexts and delete caches.

Its really a bugger. This video accelleration thing and the boot loader thing are the only 2 problems holding OSX back from being a viable OS for me.

Edited by pureevilmatt

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, except I've got a built by ATI, Radeon x850xt AGP. I've tried this multiple times, and the furthest I've gotten was a garbled/artifacted patchwork at boot. It's really annoying too, since for some reason I can only boot off of the Install DVD to fix problems (let it time out and it boots from my HD, but it won't boot directly). I can't for the life of me get a the darwin bootloader to take to my hard drive.

So yeah, I'll go on record saying this guide WILL NOT WORK with 10.4.8 ATI kexts. You'll likely need the complete 10.4.4/5 ATI*.kext set, as the instructions in this guide indicate. I'm going to attempt this as soon as I finish cloning my current drive setup... since it's quicker for me to reimage the drive than it is to boot off the osx install dvd, fire up the terminal, and restore kexts and delete caches.

Its really a bugger. This video accelleration thing and the boot loader thing are the only 2 problems holding OSX back from being a viable OS for me.

Well, I did the procedure with the 10.4.4 kexts, and got a black screen with mouse cursor... i could use hotkeys to launch things, my hot corners were working, but the screen was black with the exception of the cursor. This is with both Callisto 6 and 8. Should I maybe try skipping the step with the callistoFB? or could this be some problem with me specifying a resolution in com.apple.boot.plist?

I wouldn't mind this so much, but every time I screw up, it takes like 15 minutes to boot off of the DVD, get to a working terminal so I can correct the errors. Maybe I should solve this bootloader problem first, would certainly be less frustrating. I suppose I'll try the 10.4.5 set of kexts tomorrow and see if that works.

pureevilmatt. I tried the 10.4.5 kexts and have the same problem as you. Black screen with mouse cursor. I haven't tried without the CallistoFB line yet, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna bother. The strange this is I've heard some people report that my card is working, same device ID and everything. Maybe there are different revisions or something.. who knows. I've pretty much give up though, sadly, at least for a while. So much for OpenGL, I'll have to just get a cheap nVidia card.

I wouldn't mind this so much, but every time I screw up, it takes like 15 minutes to boot off of the DVD, get to a working terminal so I can correct the errors.

Since this is all a hack and you will always have to screw around with something, try keeping two installs, one can be full time and good size and the other could be as small as 5 gigs, I would suggest at least 10 but you get the point. Then you can easily boot to the other install and fix or change what ever is needed.

I have no problems with agp x800xt aiw on SSE2 AMD FINAL, but I'm not using Callisto and I did swap 4.5 ATI kexts.

pureevilmatt. I tried the 10.4.5 kexts and have the same problem as you. Black screen with mouse cursor. I haven't tried without the CallistoFB line yet, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna bother. The strange this is I've heard some people report that my card is working, same device ID and everything. Maybe there are different revisions or something.. who knows. I've pretty much give up though, sadly, at least for a while. So much for OpenGL, I'll have to just get a cheap nVidia card.

Well, I finally figured it out. I realized it probably wasn't a problem with the callistoFB or my com.apple.boot.plist since I was seeing the mouse cursor, and I wasn't getting any kext errors, and I was still having the problem, so I realized it was something to do with either quartz or core image. So, I searched the forums for +radeon +x850* +quartz and stumbled upon this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...++x850*++quartz . The post by ffosilva is the post the golden nugget that led me to figure out these VITAL steps:

0) I followed this thread's guide using the 10.4.4 ATI* kexts, but stopped before doing the last step of modding the ATIRadeon9700.kext, with my device ID.

1) I extracted OpenGL.framework, Quartz.framework, and QuartsCore.framework from the 10.4.4 installation DVD using pacifist.

2) I backed up, then trashed the 10.4.8 counterparts from the /system/library/frameworks/ folder, and then copied the 10.4.4 versions into that folder.

3) Rebooted to no errors. Verified running versions of the frameworks in system profiler. Emptied Trash.

4) I the proceeded with modding the ATIRadeon9700.kext, then copying it into the extensions folder.

5) Loaded the kext to make sure there were no errors: sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

6) Repaired permissions on the drive using Disk Utility.

7) Touched the extensions folder to stimulate rebuilding of the kextchaches: sudo touch /system/library/extensions

8) Rebooted to no errors.

9) Fired up system profiler, was greeted with this happy sight:

Radeon X850 XT PE (AGP):

Chipset Model: Radeon X850 XT PE (AGP)

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4b49

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

I'm not sure if the key was matching the 10.4.4 kexts with the 10.4.4 frameworks, or if it was just the frameworks that were needed. Either way, I am now accelerated, and I'm gonna give it a break for a while before I see if I can get dual monitor extended desktop working. I don't appear to get any mouse tearing that everyone else seems to be reporting. Everything appears to be working smooth and great. I'm fairly certain that the above will work for you. Good luck!

Edited by pureevilmatt

Could somebody please help me? ;) see #131

A big help, would be a screenshot or a list of the contents in the extensions folder

Just wonder about this.

When i installed Jas 10.4.6 i hooked for "ATI Mobility Grahpics Driver" I haven¨t tried installing Callisto without this option, but could it make a necessary change?

Edited by radan

Great tutorial Phoenix3200 - thanks!

Unfortunately I cannot get anywhere when it comes to enabling the QE/CI. :(

My card is an X850 PRO (Device ID 4b4b), and I have almost come to the end of my patience, which seems a shame as I have put in so much work! I have tried everything I can think of, and at the moment what is happening is that the spinning wheel under the Apple logo spins for about 20 seconds, with the hard drive working, and then everything just stops. However, if I boot -x (safe boot) It boots fine, but with no QE/CI.

With callisto only everything works fine, System Profiler tells me all the correct information and I can change resolutions.

I am running JaS 10.4.8 w/ 8.8.1 Semthex kernels and 10.4.5 Radeon9700 kexts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So, i need OpenGL.framework, Quartz.framework, and QuartsCore.framework from 10.4.4, replace them in 10.4.8 for this to work?

That's what did the trick for me, along with the 10.4.4 ATI*.kexts

Great tutorial Phoenix3200 - thanks!

Unfortunately I cannot get anywhere when it comes to enabling the QE/CI. :(

My card is an X850 PRO (Device ID 4b4b), and I have almost come to the end of my patience, which seems a shame as I have put in so much work! I have tried everything I can think of, and at the moment what is happening is that the spinning wheel under the Apple logo spins for about 20 seconds, with the hard drive working, and then everything just stops. However, if I boot -x (safe boot) It boots fine, but with no QE/CI.

With callisto only everything works fine, System Profiler tells me all the correct information and I can change resolutions.

I am running JaS 10.4.8 w/ 8.8.1 Semthex kernels and 10.4.5 Radeon9700 kexts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try matching the OpenGL.framework, Quartz.framework, and QuartsCore.framework from 10.4.5 with your 10.4.5 kexts. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to get ahold of a 10.4.4 install and use those as per my previous post in this thread. Your card is very similar to mine, you should be able to get full accelleration.

Try matching the OpenGL.framework, Quartz.framework, and QuartsCore.framework from 10.4.5 with your 10.4.5 kexts. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to get ahold of a 10.4.4 install and use those as per my previous post in this thread. Your card is very similar to mine, you should be able to get full accelleration.

Thanks for this Pureevilmatt - unfortunately no joy :mellow:

I tried your method eariler in the thread to the word, as well as combining it with the one at the beginning and still it just gets stuck on the Apple logo spinner, but boots fine in Safe Boot. I assume the only fix to this would be to try the 10.4.4 instead of 10.4.5 kexts?

Any idea where I can get the 10.4.4 kexts by themselves as Apple don't (as far as I'm aware) do a 10.4.4 Intel update. Or will I just have to download a 10.4.4 torrent?

Appreciate the help.

X850XT PCIE users (5d52)

Because of a ton of PMs asking how to do this..

Install callisto b005. Others may work, this worked for me.

Be warned, for me only the VGA output works. NOT DVI (yet.. workin on it).

Follow the rest of this guide. Yay.

Install mighty mouse (search forums) for mouse tearing.

----------------

In addition

Is there a trick to get callisto working with cards that have a vga and dvi, in which it see's only the vga and will not allow for res switching on the dvi?

Edited by jspiker

hermund-feldborgs-computer:~ hermundfeldborg$ cd /Users/hermundfeldborg/desktop

hermund-feldborgs-computer:~/desktop hermundfeldborg$

hermund-feldborgs-computer:~/desktop hermundfeldborg$ cd /Users/hermundfeldborg/desktop

hermund-feldborgs-computer:~/desktop hermundfeldborg$ chown -R root:wheel Callisto*

hermund-feldborgs-computer:~/desktop hermundfeldborg$ chmod -R 755 Callisto*

hermund-feldborgs-computer:~/desktop hermundfeldborg$ cp -R Callisto* /System/Library/Extensions/

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto_b003fixed/.DS_Store: Permission denied

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/MacOS/CallistoHAL: Permission denied

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Permission denied

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto.kext/Contents/MacOS/Callisto: Permission denied

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings: Permission denied

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Permission denied

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto_b003fixed.zip: Permission denied

Here is a "copy" from Terminal. Seems like i don´t have the permissions to move the kexts to extensions folder.... :P

Got help from a guy from IRC.macspeak.net!

I HAVE FINALLY 1450x1050!!!! CELEBRATE!!!!! :unsure::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by radan

up

hello all !

i've allready installed callisto 08 on 10.4.8 from Tubgirl on my RADEON x550 PCIe (RV370 0x5B60) but here is my problem:

after that i must reboot manually (cause asus A8NE don't reboot !?)

then i can boot under osx few second and then a black screen appear.

when i boot in safe mode it worx nativelly in 1680x1050x60 (perfect for my screen Benq FP202W)

no mouse tearing but no QE/CI and no sound (maybe due to the safe mode)

i'm so sad and sure i could work .

i've tried to boot in verbose mode but it is mute cause the probleme come after the boot.

________________________________________________________________________________

OSX Tubgirl 10.4.8

ASUS A8NE

AMD 64 X2 3800

RADEON 550

PATA 40go maxtor in a mobile rack (two separate OSs)

LG dvd dual burner

Benq FP 202

all work but graphic OR sound

Wonderful guide, worked wonders for me:

My system:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (SSE2)

MSI K8N Neo (Nforce 3)

ATI Radeon X800 XTPE (id: 0x4A501002)

Dell 2005FPW

The only adjustments that I had to make (through a lot of blood, tears, trial and error) were:

a). Manually entering the EDID of the monitor was required for Callisto to work properly (causing a kernel panic otherwise)

:). Editing the plist in ATIRadeon9700.kext was quite enough for QE/CI to work. Hex editing the binary as per your guide made the system hang at the beginning, with half of the screen a kind of corrupted grey thing.

c). AGPGart 2.2 was required to solve the unbearable slowness which occured immediately after enabling QE/CI

Did not work for my PCIe x850xt and 10.4.8.... Callisto works to give me the ability to set resolution, but when I try to load the ATIRadeon9700GA file as suggested in the guide, I get a 100% corrupted screen after rebooting, and had to manually remove the files in single-user mode. I'm about to give up on this and delete the partition...

Hi I have a problem! I'm running jas 10.4.8 sse3 (with ati kext 10.4.5) and I have graphic card saphirre x800xl 512mb. I tried whit callisto 6 and 8 and i have many resolutions but i haven't QE and CI then I changed ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin and ATIRadeon9700.kext but every time may os collapsed at the start without write Extensions.mkext.

Radeon X800 UM:

Chipset Model: Radeon X800 UM

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x554d

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color