[How To] X800 XL set up with working Display Manager and QE/CI

phoenix3200

232 posts in this topic

I need some help as well.

After lots of testing and reinstalling, I'm getting quite tired.

Callisto is fine, I'm running 1280x1024/85Hz as I'm writing this. :)

However, the driver won't work. I'm using the kext's (ATI* from the DVD, that is, ALL kext's that start with "ATI") from JaS 10.4.6 DVD (see comment above, the files are 10.4.5).

First/earlier, it simply wouldn't boot, it never loaded the GUI but stopped at the verbose boot screen instead.

Now, it does boot just fine (every time), but it seems like the hacked driver is never loaded! QE/CI are both unsupported, and the kext doesn't show up when I run kextstat.

I've tried both manual hex editing and koverg's patch.

Device ID = 554d, by the way.

Any ideas?

Well, people seem to be throwing their problems on the table and getting fast responses so here goes... I tried, a few times, the instructions listed on the first page with my x600 Mobility and b008 but was left with a hanging black screen just before the OS's GUI loads. So, I tried b006 and everything seemed to have installed fine. QE/CI are both present and the kext was loaded perfectly - NO PERFORMANCE CHANGE. The graphics are still as slow as when I initially booted the OS.

It gets weirder.

When I go to change the resolution, I'm sent back to that same hanging black screen and must manually cut the power in order to have a working computer, again. Sometimes it goes on its own; other times, I have to single-click on another selectable resolution but either way, it goes without fail.

What's frustrating is somebody mentioned a few posts ago that he got his x600 working fine with the b008 release..!

DevID: 3150

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, I've tracked it down a bit more.

When the driver loads (i.e. everything is set up OK with device IDs etc), my screen gets scrambled.

Here's a picture: http://tinyurl.com/z48lw

That area up to the left is the apple menu, by the way...

Any ideas as to why this happens?

As I said (above), I use 10.4.5 ATI files, from the JaS DVD.

Help! :P

EDIT:

WTF!!

Now I DO get mouse tearing, the driver IS loaded (checked using kextstat) but STILL no QE/CI!!

System Profiler says this:

Chipset Model: Radeon X800 UM

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x554d

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

E92f+:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 85 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Why? :(:)

EDIT:

IT WORKS!!

I'm not sure what did it, this might have helped though:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25335

Damn, it's soooo smooth now! Beautiful ;)

When I tried to edit the info.plist in the contents folder in the kext I get an error that I can't re-save because the file is read only. Is there anyway to reset the "read only" permissions on the Radeon9700GA.kext? That's my only hang up so far :laser:

When I tried to edit the info.plist in the contents folder in the kext I get an error that I can't re-save because the file is read only. Is there anyway to reset the "read only" permissions on the Radeon9700GA.kext? That's my only hang up so far :(

Applications -> Terminal

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

Should do the trick.

If not (I think OS X has some other read only attribute), edit the file using "sudo nano (path)" instead. Ctrl+X for save is pretty much all you have to know to use it.

Having an error now while trying to edit the contents of the MAC OS folder of ATI9700.kext. It's telling me once again that this is a read only when i try to hex edit the contents....I have no idea as to get around it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Having an error now while trying to edit the contents of the MAC OS folder of ATI9700.kext. It's telling me once again that this is a read only when i try to hex edit the contents....I have no idea as to get around it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drag the ATI9700.kext to the Desktop where it will make a copy. Hex edit the copy. Drag it back to the Extensions folder. You will get 2 dialogs. The first will say you can't do that, but click the "Authenticate" button and give your password. The second dialog will ask if you want to replace the existing kext. Click "yes".

Go to the Utilities folder and run Disk Utility. Click on your OSX partition on the left and Repair Permissions on the right.

can anyone help me with installing a ATI RADEON X300 PCIExpress ??? i tried the callisto_b008....but i think there are no files for my card....i editet that plist file...and i passed all the steps...but nothing ! stil 1024x768 @60Hz.... :D:o

i tried it a lot of times ( 6 hours ..) ...still no result.

can anyone tell me what files to use to get my card working...????

the only things that worked....was the TVOUT ... and how if the system can`t recognize my card?

As I was re-doing my OS recently, I figured it was a good time to give a guide of how you can get your hardware up and running. This is also partially an off-site backup of every step I performed, just in case my computer completely crashes.

Edit: These instructions should work on a lot more cards than just an X800 XL. If you get your card to work with these instructions, add the card model that you own to this thread. You also need to be running OS X 10.4.4 or 10.4.5 (or have the ATIRadeon9700 set of Extensions from that version of OS X). Please do not ask me for those files as I cannot legally redistribute them.

Getting ready

It would be a good idea to backup your entire Extensions directory before proceeding just in case you royally mess up anything.

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup

Enter your password when prompted.

In order to do some of these steps more easily, we're going to run TextEdit and HexEdit in Super User mode. This will save you having to learn nano, vi, or any of those other terminal-based programs.

For TextEdit, open a new window in Terminal. Copy and paste the following:

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit

For HexEdit, things are a little bit more tricky, especially because HexEdit doesn't come on the computer.

HexEdit 2.00 at MacUpdate

It's in a .sit archive, and since OS X no longer comes with Stuffit Expander, you'll have to download that, too. The Universal version of Stuffit Expander is a beta and is set to expire on Oct 1, 2006.

Stuffit Expander 10.1 Beta at MacUpdate

After you've downloaded and extracted HexEdit, drag HexEdit Release into your Applications folder. Open up another window in Terminal, and copy and paste the following:

sudo /Applications/"HexEdit Release"/HexEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/HexEdit

Now you have two simple editing utilities set up with some pretty advanced power. Until you close them, they have the potential to harm protected files.

Part 1, Callisto Installation

I used b006 for installation purposes. It's available on Omni's website.

After extracting b006, Look in the folder for CallistoHAL.kext. Right-Click on this file and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock.

Find

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x41501002&0xffffffff</string>

and change it to

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x554d1002&0xffffffff</string>

Make sure you replace 554d with whatever your specific Device ID is, which is avaliable in System Profiler, and then save and close the file.

Open up another Terminal window, and type (or copy) this into Terminal:

sudo -s
cd <Drag in the directory where the Callisto .kext files are at>
chown -R root:wheel Callisto*
chmod -R 755 Callisto*
cp -R Callisto*  /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Enter your password when prompted

Reboot your computer and make sure you can set new resolutions before continuing.

Part 2, QE/CI Installation

Jump back to the top and re-open TextEdit and HexEdit as described.

I performed this while my system was still at version 10.4.5. Newer .kext files may not perform the same.

Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions, locate ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin, right-click and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock.

Find

<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

and change it to

<string>CallistoFB</string>

Save and close the file.

Open up another Terminal window, and type (or copy) this into Terminal:

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/ 
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/

Now for the hex editing part.

Note: The following does the SAME thing as the "Koverg" patch. However, I was never able to get the Koverg patch to work automatically for me, so I performed the following:

Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/ locate ATIRadeon9700.kext, right-click and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock. We'll come back to it in a minute.

In your Finder window, go inside the MacOS folder, and then drag ATIRadeon9700 to HexEdit in the dock. In HexEdit, Go to Find->Find & Replace.

Under Find, type in

3d 60 5b 00 00

Under Replace, type in

3d 4d 55 00 00

If you did not have the same Device ID as me (0x554d), you need to swap each half. For example, if my card had a Device ID of 0x1234, I would put in the Replace box "3d 34 12 00 00".

Set the Matching to Hex, and hit Find Next/Find Previous to make sure that there are two occurrences of this in the file. Once you're sure there are two occurrences and that your Device ID is correct, go ahead and click on Replace All. Go ahead and save your changes and exit HexEdit.

Go back to TextEdit and scroll down thru Info.plist

Find

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>....  0x5b601002 ....</string>

and change it to

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>....  0x554d1002 ....</string>

replacing 554d with your Device ID.

Save and close the file.

Open up a fresh Terminal window, and type in the following:

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/ 
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/ 

Go ahead and restart your computer. Check System Profiler, and you should have QE/CI working, complete with mouse tearing. I'll leave you to the Search feature to figure out how to turn that off.

Can I follow that way to fix with my X850 XTPE AGP card?

It Work with my Sapphire X800XT AGP, ID: 0x4a4b.

Not Koverg method in my case, only with Callisto b006 and modification of ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin I have reloutions change and CI & QE :)

<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

and change it to

<string>CallistoFB</string>

thanks very very much phoenix3200

Sertix, Callisto is not specific to your graphics card. That's why you need to edit the info.plist. I must say that's pretty wierd that only your TV Out is working.

g D, the problem you will run into is that your graphics card works through an AGP port instead of a PCI Express port. Check this thread for information about activating your AGP port. It's a lot longer than this thread, so someone had to have said something important in it :blink:

g D, the problem you will run into is that your graphics card works through an AGP port instead of a PCI Express port. Check this thread for information about activating your AGP port. It's a lot longer than this thread, so someone had to have said something important in it :)

Okie...

So, what difference between AGP & PCI on the System display?

Is it importaint if I don't fix this problem by using AGPGart?

And Can I still follow to your way?

Thank you for reply

i have edited ang changed already the port that my card is using....i`ve edited the files exactly as is the installation guide (my card id is 5b 60) ....i`v changed the resolution ....by editing the boot.plist from preferencies....but the card is still not installed and the refresh is still 60hz.

i`ll reinstall mac os `cauz i`ve done a reall mess in my system folder ....and i`ll try again.

the funny thing is ....with the tv out....i`ve downloaded a driver for mac from ATI`s homepage....it had a installer and that was the only thing it could install...

another question. wich is the file used from callisto? callisto.kext or callistoHAL.kext ????

1- I installed the AGPGart 2.0, now my system display correct about AGP

2- I followed the phoenix3200's way until finish part 1 ("Part 1, Callisto Installation"). Everything perfect, here is my informations:

"Radeon X850 XT (AGP):

Chipset Model: Radeon X850 XT (AGP)

Bus: AGP

Device ID: 0x4b4c

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported"

3- So happy, I continued to part 2 ("QE/CI Installation")...

I did extractly what phoenix3200 say and reboot

4- But nothing change! My infomation still are the last fixed from part 1! CI&QE Not Supported!

I did something Wrong?

Please help me!

OOp...

After shutdown and turn on, I cant boot to my MAC OS any more!!! :(

What happen?

when I restarted before, everything is still okie?

Can I restore anything changed? (I have a Extensions backup when I used this code: "sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup")

I cant boot, I have only the DVD install Disc!

Thankyou!

Sertix, I know nothing about the driver available straight from Apple. The driver used to get QE/CI to work needs to come from 10.4.4 or 10.4.5. CallistoHAL.kext is used for inputting your DeviceID. You need both Callisto.kext as well as CallistoHAL.kext in the Extensions directory for Callisto to work.

gD, follow the instructions on the third post in this thread to fix your install. It looks like you got Callisto to work just fine, so skip the line that says Callisto on it.

I forgot to mention...If your computer won't boot, here's how you can fix it:

Boot into Single User Mode (-s)

CODE

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto* <To remove Callisto>

cp -R /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup/ATI* /System/Library/Extensions/ <To restore ATI kexts>

reboot

I tried to add the code when I was booting from my MAC OS DVD install Disc but the system said that my disk is locked!

I cann't use any code

What I should do now? ;)

:D(

I tried to add the code when I was booting from my MAC OS DVD install Disc but the system said that my disk is locked!

I cann't use any code

What I should do now? ;)

:)(

You don't need the OS X install disc at all. As you're starting up the computer you'll need to access the boot options, type in

-s

hit enter, and then type in the rest of the stuff. Look around for more information on Single User boot mode.

Thanks phoenix3200 for Reply

I reinstalled MAC and now everything is okie!

I follow to you way until finished part 1 (Install Callisto), perfect!

I can change my resolution, My information display correct like this:

"Radeon X850 XT (AGP):

Chipset Model: Radeon X850 XT (AGP)

Bus: PCI

Device ID: 0x4b4c

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported"

But I didnot follow part 2. I'm not sure it's safe for me or not!

Can U show me the safe way to get Core Image and Quartz Extreme support?

Thank you very much! :)

Followed the instructions every last detail, got my full Res of 1440x900 thanks to the callisto driver but no QE or CI. Tried the 10.4.5 kexts off the DVD but that didn't work either, just resulted in a black screen with coloured blocks and a mouse pointer. :whistle:

Specs: HP Pavillion zd8000 ATI Radeon Mobility X600 (M24) PCIE. Release: 10.4.6

I should mention im not sure if mine is the JAS release? would that make a difference in the kexts being 10.4.5 or not??? Tried the koverg patch no avail. Callisto 3 was the only one I could get to work.

Anyone had any success with this HP laptop???

Thanks..

:censored2: