[How To] X800 XL set up with working Display Manager and QE/CI

phoenix3200

232 posts in this topic

The Koverg patch does the same thing as the Hex Edit...it's just that Koverg's patch wouldn't work for me, so I manually did it.

I don't know much about sleep mode with the drivers, but you might be able to reset the graphics settings by doing the following:

Boot into Single User mode (-s)

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
reboot

If that doesn't work, do what this post says to do to remove Callisto, and then reinstall Callisto.

Thanks for the reply ps your guide was the only guide way i was able to get the Callisto driver to work thank you , and also is the callisto crashing or do you think its the koverg patch? im using 10.4.5 and ati radeon x800 pro pcie

I think it's the power saving feature, which I'm failrly certain Omni never developed. If I was you (which, if you have a laptop, this might not be possible), I would just turn off your monitor manually.

Power saving features seem to cause problems for me a lot - I had to turn off the disk power saving feature because OS X didn't know how to wake my hard drives back up, causing a computer crash.

Thanks for all the info.

I finally got my atix600 at full resolution (1680x1050) and with QE going. I used the Callisto 008 patch and

changed the 9700 files like suggested and it all works.

Radeon Mobility X600 (M24) (PCIE):

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility X600 (M24) (PCIE)

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x3150

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Cinema Display:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

running OSX and WindowsXP on a partitioned Compaq x6000.

Followed the instructions in "Part 1, Callisto Installation" and now have 1280 x 800 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 with the X300 card. I used Callisto_b003fixed. Yesterday I tried b008 and ended up reinstalling Mac OS. Not sure if it was a difference in versions or the fact that I followed omni's instructions (maybe incorrectly). I had a black screen shortly after boot and that was it.

Thanks OP for the very clear instructions!

If your installing from a 10.4.6 DVD that is truly 10.4.5 with Combo Update and your in need of .5 kexts to make QE work... use Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to extract the ati kexts from the installer package on the CD, worked for me. (I got black screen with the .6 kexts).

Callisto 008 and ATI Radeon x800xl PCIE, on 10.4.6 Jas DVD.

OKAY, HERE IS EXACTLY HOW TO GET THE 10.4.5 KEXTS OFF YOUR 10.4.6 JAS DVD (and probably all others)

Step 1. Download Pacifist. http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.dmg

Step 2. Open Pacifist, then select 'Open Package', the file you want is OSinstall.mpkg, you can find it it under /System/Installation/Packages/ on your CD.

Step 3. Nagivate down to Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware, Conents of EssentialSystemSoftwareGroup, Contents of Essentials.pkg, System, Library, Extensions.

Step 4. Select the kexts you want, in this all the ATI kexts. Click the 'Extract To...' button.

Voila! 10.4.5 kexts for patching.

I'll upload patched kexts later when i figure out exactly which ones are needed.

Note: Originally I left the 10.4.6 ATI kexts, and just replaced the 9700 ones, but that resulted in black screen with mouse syndrome, so be sure to replace all the 10.4.6 ati kexts.

MY ATI X800XL is working fine under CALLISTO 008, however when i go to step two to enable QE/CI I get a blank screen and, I ended up reinstalling my OS... I tried over 8 times so far.

I use JaS 10.4.6, and looking at the post above I have some hope to get the QE to work, i just need the old KEXT files! Could someone please send me the files to my e-mail rangelm (AT) rogers.com ...

I really appreciate!

Thanks

I also have a X800XL but neither step one or two seem to work. I followed step 1 to the letter and still couldn't change resolution. I'm using 10.4.4.

Edit: Nevermind I fixed it. Turns out it was an edit to the com.apple.boot.plist file that prevented me from changing the resolution after step 1 was completed.

Huzzah! QE and CI now enabled. But as a very new mac user having installed OS X last night and just got the networking enabled this morning I'd like to know what exactly Quartz Extreme and Core Image do. Just thought I'd ask since this thread involves enabling QE and CI.

All,

I have a ATI X800 XL PCI ID 554d. The Callisto drivers are not needed at all. I tried so many times to get Callisto to work "correctly" and was never able to fix the Monitor Refresh rate problem.

So just use Koverg's patch and everything works. You CAN'T change screen resolutions BUT QE/CI and OPenGL all work.

Run Koverg's script and change the ATIRadeon9700.kext to match your PCI ID and reboot.. VOILA.

I guess people are installing Callisto just to be able to change screen resolution. But in fact that was causing my problem with my LCD. (OUT OF RANGE)

I just Got it...

Radeon X800 GTO2 PCI-E

Used the ATI kext extracted from the 10.4.6 JaS DVD (10.4.5 on DVD)

Used the Calisto 3 Modified drivers (I did at leat 100 boot-up in verbose mode to get it)

Then I've got them all...

QE, CI, OpenGL (tested in iTunes).. and I got the Mouse Tearing (I'll check fot it later).

I've got all the resolutions available for my Dell 2407 Wide Screen => 1920x1200 but when I change the resolution from the menu or from the control panel... The screen turns itself in blue and remain like that... until my reboot...

When I set the resolution into the boot.plist the screen change it's resolution while in verbose mode but, when the loginwindows apprears... it took the superior edge of the screen in 1024x768 stretched mode, and the mouse is movable but not usable (draw a lot of straight lines)

What can I do next ?

Thank you for your How-to... but just a little thing was missing from it... The EDID (it won't work for a DVI LCD screen without the informations of the panel).

Hi Flasher, my english is not so good ok??

but i have a ATI Radeon 9550 GPx8 256 MB Sapphire and is working very good .... all work

whit OS X 10.4.5 and callisto 006

MB ASUS P4GE-MX

512 Mb RAM

Intel celeron D 2.4 GHz

all is working !!!

....DJ Solo.....

Chile

I'd like to know what exactly Quartz Extreme and Core Image do
They're video acceleration routines which are used in programs like Safari (to reduce it having to refresh the entire page when you scroll), and is critical in a decent number of video playback programs; especially DVD Player and Final Cut Pro.

just a little thing was missing from it... The EDID (it won't work for a LCD screen without the informations of the panel)
Ooookay, throw in the exception... Just kidding. On my platform I have two 19" CRT monitors (mirroring only, of course), so I never bothered going down that road. The first time I tried installing b008, I tried hardcoding the EDID from my CRT, and that lead everything to crash.

Is there a way to get the Resolution menu to work
A few people have mentioned using a separate program to change the resolution after they install Callisto. If that doesn't work, back up your existing Callisto drivers and try installing the newer Callisto drivers again to see if they will do you any good this time around.

When I set the resolution into the boot.plist to a wide mode the screen change it's resolution while in verbose mode but, when the loginwindows apprears... it took the superior edge of the screen in 1024x768 stretched mode (I can see the verbose underneath, and the mouse is movable but not usable (draw a lot of straight lines)

• 2 weeks later...

pierrandre, Callisto is not designed to work in concert with (at the same time as) the boot.plist setting. You should remove either the Callisto drivers or the boot.plist setting.

private, you're not giving enough details to make an accurate assessment at all. About the only thing I can tell you based on your sig is that you probably do not have the Koverg QE/CI patch installed correctly, but even at that point I'm guessing.

Yup I get that. But when I tried to change the resolution from the monitor control panel, I only get a blue screen.

Then I've done the radeon9700 plugin mod, but when I changed the resolution via the control panel, the screen remains blue as said previously.

I've tested with several callisto drivers. beta 8, beta 3, then beta 3 'special'.

only the beta 3 'special' have worked. but I only get a blue screen whatever I've tempted.

In the meantime my MacBook Pro was shipped. it works like a charm :construction:

My X600 XT has QE/CI out of the box as well. Make sure you have a clean install of Myzar's patched 10.4.6 DVD. I used the callisto driver to get resolution switching, but it ended up killing my QE/CI. Changing "IONDRVFrameBuffer" to "CallistoFB" in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin corrected this.

Cheers

OK, I'm getting some interesting results here. :D

My card is the ATI x850 XT Platinum Edition w/256 MB VRAM (Device ID 5D4D).

I install the latest Callisto drivers, and get full resolution and refresh rate switching. Then I perform the manual hex edit, and the Login screen won't load normally 9 times out of 10. Also, despite specifying a Desktop of 1600x1200x32 in System Preferences, OS X intially loads-up in what appears to be 1024x768. Then, at the login screen, the top 1/3 of the screen is the grey-silver of the login window (with the mouse pointer displaying/behaving normally), and the bottom 2/3 is black (refresh problem?). If I specify the resolution in the bootloader, it still won't load the login screen correctly 9/10 times; however, on the rare occasion, under the latter circumstances, the login screen loads, I login, and have QE/CI enabled.

The same thing happened when I patched the driver with Koverg's utility. The only differences here are 1) I can change resolutions now, 2) monitor sleep works, and 3) my card is being detected properly in System profiler now, instead of as a "VGA-compaitble controller" or whatever, as was the case when I was merely applying Koverg's patch. I should mention that I've noticed a corellation between rebooting into XP, modifying the display settings in some way, and then being able to successfully boot OS X with full acceleration. Maybe the state of the hardware is being changed somehow? OTOH, it could just be a coincidence...

Any advice guys? It seems like there's just one little thing out of place which, were I to fix it, would make OS X stable on my system. As it is, having to hard-reset the system frequently has corrupted my OS X partitions 3 times, including the large HFS+ partition I share between OS X and XP, requiring 3 reinstalls so far. :)

SUCCESS!!!!11!!0neowe!!!111 :P

I figured-out why OS X wasn't booting reliably. I booted from the install DVD, and verified the permissions. Apparently the 9700 kext and GA plugins' were incorrect. After repairing them, the system boots normally and consistently now. :)

Give that a try if you're having trouble. Now I have a reliable install of OS X with full video acceleration. About the only thing left to do is locate a compatible 5.1 surround sound card *w/digital out*, an' I'll be sittin' pretty. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I thought you might be interested to know that OS X takes less than 5 SECONDS to get to the Login screen, after pressing Enter at the boot loader. That's friggin crazy fast man! :P

Ok, I have x850xt and I can't manage with it.

Can sombody tell what to do, whitch version of OS should I use, drivers, what to change in .kext files etc.

Please help. I really need to work with Final Cut and it recommends an accelerated graphic.