[How To] X800 XL set up with working Display Manager and QE/CI

phoenix3200

232 posts in this topic

As I was re-doing my OS recently, I figured it was a good time to give a guide of how you can get your hardware up and running. This is also partially an off-site backup of every step I performed, just in case my computer completely crashes.

Edit: These instructions should work on a lot more cards than just an X800 XL. If you get your card to work with these instructions, add the card model that you own to this thread. You also need to be running OS X 10.4.4 or 10.4.5 (or have the ATIRadeon9700 set of Extensions from that version of OS X). Please do not ask me for those files as I cannot legally redistribute them.

Getting ready

It would be a good idea to backup your entire Extensions directory before proceeding just in case you royally mess up anything.

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup

Enter your password when prompted.

In order to do some of these steps more easily, we're going to run TextEdit and HexEdit in Super User mode. This will save you having to learn nano, vi, or any of those other terminal-based programs.

For TextEdit, open a new window in Terminal. Copy and paste the following:

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit

For HexEdit, things are a little bit more tricky, especially because HexEdit doesn't come on the computer.

HexEdit 2.00 at MacUpdate

It's in a .sit archive, and since OS X no longer comes with Stuffit Expander, you'll have to download that, too.

Stuffit Expander 11.0 at MacUpdate

After you've downloaded and extracted HexEdit, drag HexEdit Release into your Applications folder. Open up another window in Terminal, and copy and paste the following:

sudo /Applications/"HexEdit Release"/HexEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/HexEdit

Now you have two simple editing utilities set up with some pretty advanced power. Until you close them, they have the potential to harm protected files.

Part 1, Callisto Installation

I used b006 for installation purposes. It's available on Omni's new website.

After extracting b006, Look in the folder for CallistoHAL.kext. Right-Click on this file and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock.

Find

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x41501002&0xffffffff</string>

and change it to

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x554d1002&0xffffffff</string>

Make sure you replace 554d with whatever your specific Device ID is, which is avaliable in System Profiler, and then save and close the file.

Open up another Terminal window, and type (or copy) this into Terminal:

sudo -s
cd <Drag in the directory where the Callisto .kext files are at>
chown -R root:wheel Callisto*
chmod -R 755 Callisto*
cp -R Callisto*  /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Enter your password when prompted

Reboot your computer and make sure you can set new resolutions before continuing.

Part 2, QE/CI Installation

Jump back to the top and re-open TextEdit and HexEdit as described.

I performed this while my system was still at version 10.4.5. Newer .kext files may not perform the same.

Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions, locate ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin, right-click and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock.

Find

<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

and change it to

<string>CallistoFB</string>

Save and close the file.

Open up another Terminal window, and type (or copy) this into Terminal:

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/ 
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/

Now for the hex editing part. Edit: If your card's device ID is listed anywhere in the bottom of this post, you are probably finished. If it is, restart your computer and check before continuing.

Note: The following does the SAME thing as the "Koverg" patch. However, I was never able to get the Koverg patch to work automatically for me, so I performed the following:

Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/ locate ATIRadeon9700.kext, right-click and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock. We'll come back to it in a minute.

In your Finder window, go inside the MacOS folder, and then drag ATIRadeon9700 to HexEdit in the dock. In HexEdit, Go to Find->Find & Replace.

Under Find, type in

3d 60 5b 00 00

Under Replace, type in

3d 4d 55 00 00

If you did not have the same Device ID as me (0x554d), you need to swap each half. For example, if my card had a Device ID of 0x1234, I would put in the Replace box "3d 34 12 00 00".

Set the Matching to Hex, and hit Find Next/Find Previous to make sure that there are two occurrences of this in the file. Once you're sure there are two occurrences and that your Device ID is correct, go ahead and click on Replace All. Go ahead and save your changes and exit HexEdit.

Go back to TextEdit and scroll down thru Info.plist

Find

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>....  0x5b601002 ....</string>

and change it to

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>....  0x554d1002 ....</string>

replacing 554d with your Device ID.

Save and close the file.

Open up a fresh Terminal window, and type in the following:

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/ 
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/ 

Go ahead and restart your computer. Check System Profiler, and you should have QE/CI working, complete with mouse tearing. I'll leave you to the Search feature to figure out how to turn that off.

The following information was relocated from post #96.

If you're interested on whether or not your Device ID is already contained inside of the Info.plist file or in the file you need to HexEdit already, here's a list, with an (approximate) graphics card equivalent. If your card's Device ID matches the first list, you probably don't need to mess with ATIRadeon9700.kext; if it matches the second, I would not touch it at all.

ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist
.0x3E501002 RV380 0x3e50 [Radeon X600]
.0x3E541002 RV380 0x3e54 [FireGL V3200]
.0x41441002 R300 AD [Radeon 9500 Pro]
.0x41481002 R350 AH [Radeon 9800]
.0x41501002 RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
.0x41521002 RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]
.0x4A481002 R420 JH [Radeon X800]
0x4A491002 R420 JI [Radeon X800PRO]
0x4A4A1002 R420 JJ [Radeon X800SE]
0x4A4B1002 R420 JK [Radeon X800]
0x4A4C1002 R420 JL [Radeon X800]
0x4A4D1002 R420 JM [FireGL X3]
.0x4A4E1002 M18 JN [Radeon Mobility 9800]
.0x4E441002 Radeon R300 ND [Radeon 9700 Pro]
.0x4E481002 Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]
.0x4E501002 RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]
.0x4E541002 M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]
.0x4E561002 M11 NV [FireGL Mobility T2e]
.0x5B601002 RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
.0x5B621002 RV380 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]
.0x5B641002 RV370 5B64 [FireGL V3100 (PCIE)]

Those dots signify I could find them inside the ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700.

ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700
0x5B601002 RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
0x5B621002 RV380 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]
0x5B641002 RV370 5B64 [FireGL V3100 (PCIE)]
0x3E501002 RV380 0x3e50 [Radeon X600]
0x3E541002 RV380 0x3e54 [FireGL V3200]

0x4A4E1002 M18 JN [Radeon Mobility 9800]
0x4A481002 R420 JH [Radeon X800]
0x41441002 R300 AD [Radeon 9500 Pro]
0x3E501002 RV380 0x3e50 [Radeon X600]
0x3E541002 RV380 0x3e54 [FireGL V3200]

0x4E541002 M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]
0x4E481002 Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]
0x4E501002 RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]
0x4E441002 Radeon R300 ND [Radeon 9700 Pro]

0x5B601002 RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
0x4E561002 M11 NV [FireGL Mobility T2e]
0x5B621002 RV380 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]
0x5B641002 RV370 5B64 [FireGL V3100 (PCIE)]

0x41501002 RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
0x41521002 RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]
0x41481002 R350 AH [Radeon 9800]

These are grouped according to what other numbers I found them near.

works perfect for the x800pro aswell. i also used the Callisto_b008 driver. i am able to set the resolution in the display settings tab full qe/ci!!!

thanks for the great write up and the easy to follow instructions!!!

I forgot to mention...If your computer won't boot, here's how you can fix it:

Boot into Single User Mode (-s)

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto* <To remove Callisto>
cp -R /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup/ATI* /System/Library/Extensions/ <To restore ATI kexts>
reboot

Hi, boris also has a solution to this. I have a question though, well a few actually. Does this work with sleep and wake? Can you use a dvi monitor? Can games such as cod2 or quake 4 play with this? The first two questions appear to be the limitations of boris' solution.

I don't know a whole lot about Boris' solution, but from what I can tell, it's designed to get X1000-series cards working by replacing codes which are used for the X1600. This method (the "Koverg" section) is designed to replace the values for the X300 PCI Express card in the ATIRadeon9700 files.

Past that, I'm not sure how to answer your questions. Final Cut Pro works for me, and that's what I was aiming for in my OSX86 installation.

I don't know a whole lot about Boris' solution, but from what I can tell, it's designed to get X1000-series cards working by replacing codes which are used for the X1600. This method (the "Koverg" section) is designed to replace the values for the X300 PCI Express card in the ATIRadeon9700 files.

Past that, I'm not sure how to answer your questions. Final Cut Pro works for me, and that's what I was aiming for in my OSX86 installation.

Sorry, i just re-read the title, x800xl not x1800xl. Doh :wallbash:

:withstupid:

I tried to get this working with my X800 GTO, but the damn thing won't boot. Restoring the old kexts worked, so it's got to be the 10.4.6 9700.kext. Is there a way to get an older ATIRadeon9700.kext anywhere on the internet? Could any of you send me yours?

Oh, and the Callisto drivers work alone. It's the QE/CI I want. And btw, I'm installing Mac for FCP too. :)

i've got everything working. The only problem is that I have X300SE but system only shows 32MB of video RAM. Any ideas?

Yeah...Don't play any video games that weren't designed for the mac in the first place <_<

Your card misreporting itself may or may not be problematic, but if it is, try the following and see if it improves at all:

• Remove Callisto
  • Restore/undo your changes to ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin ONLY.
  • Manually/Permanently set your resolution in com.apple.Boot.plist

Search the forums for more information on the last step.

I have done every step. I finally got QE, CI, and adjustable resolution. However, I still see the mouse tearing.

If I install only Callisto, I always get adjustable resolution and no mouse tearing.

Which option should I pick? Is there any way to get everything perfect? or I have to use mouse locator with the first option.

PS. I have X300SE with 5B60

Because we don't have the ability to report our cards to the Operating System correctly, you have the choice of either having mouse tearing (with QE/CI) or not having mouse tearing (without QE/CI). Mouse tearing is just one of the things that you'll have to live with probably until they release the Intel Towers and someone hacks the drivers off of them.

QE/CI (and the mouse tearing that comes with it) is a critical part of OS X, and is used in everything from webpage renders (which can work without QE/CI) to DVD Playback (which does require QE/CI) to applications like Final Cut Pro (which will not even install without QE/CI support).

P.S. If you have an ID of 0x5b60, what did you do of the last half of the instructions? Just the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin?

What I did was modify this code only

<string>CallistoFB</string>

Moreover I also did change some value in this because it was not exactly the same value as you said

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>.... 0x5b601002 0x3E541002</string>

Lastly I ran these commands

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/

Well...you are right about that one part...

I had already checked back at what I had done, and there should be 0x5b601002 listed somewhere on that line...it's just not next to last. I think I just figured that it wasn't worth doing another edit operation to the original command, but it could possibly cause confiusion, so I'll fix it.

In other words, 0x5b601002 probably appears on that line in your ATIRadeon9700 twice.

Okay for some reason I after I reinstalled everything. When I did all of part 1 and im going to select my resolution my screen goes black and it has lines all over it. Im going to try the alternative build. Does anyone know if this is because im not selecting the correct resolution?

This may (make or) break your system, but...

Try going into ATIRadeon8500.kext/Conteints/Mac OS/ATIRadeon8500 in HexEdit, search for 3D 63 5C and replace it with 3D XX XX (with XX XX being your device id swapped). There's only one instance of it, and don't add on the extra 0's as seen below. Do the same changes I listed for the rest of the 9700 files, except apply it to the 8500 set instead, replacing 0x5c631002 in the process with your device id.

0x5c631002 is supposedly the Radeon Mobility 9200 AGP, so I'm thinking that it would be the closest thing that you could change.

As always, make sure you remember how to fix it if it messes up.

Well. I tried with the latter instructions that you gave me. Turns out my device ID is 5c61. So its really really close. After I made the changes my system works. But anything that needs hardware accelerations fails. It seems that we are really close. Is there something that Im missing. The DVD player opens. It used to say that it couldn't. But now it crashes. Chess opens but crashes. I bet its probably the next kext or something. Any ideas. Greatly Greatly appreciated.

PS: Also I replaced Hex Edit the right way swapped with 61 5C capital

Also I replaced in text edit with capital C -could that be it

hmm...maybe they never finished developing that driver for OS X...

What version of kext files are you using? People seem to have the best luck with .4 or .5 kext files (at least for 9700)

As far as lowercase/capital C, it should make no difference. The letters are simply part of the hex numbering scheme, and Info.plist is processed by the system before the file you HexEdited is processed, meaning that it doesn't matter.

Is the card running through AGP? You might have to search around for the AGP->PCI kext file people are circulating. And for my last idea, you might check to see if QE/CI is even supported on the Apple computers that would have used that kext - which includes everything from the Radeon 8500 LE to the 9200 Pro.

P.S. From the research I just did, it looks like your comp should support QE, but not CI. You might look at finding some way of disabling CoreImage, seeing as that could be what's crashing your system.

Well. The Emac has a radeon 9200 and it supports CI. But it didn't mention QE. My system isn't really crashing its just the apps themselves shut down. I tried teh 9700 kexts again with no luck. My card supports AGP. But its on a sony vaio s150 laptop. So maybe its just pci. Im gonna try the kexts files when I find them. Im runing 10.4.6. So thats probably it. How do I know if the cards runing through agp? Im going to try different kext files. But Im not gonna play any games on my pc. I only need the screen big. Which I wasn't able to do until I read your instructions. Thanks for the awesome help.

Well. The Emac has a radeon 9200 and it supports CI. But it didn't mention QE. My system isn't really crashing its just the apps themselves shut down. I tried teh 9700 kexts again with no luck. My card supports AGP. But its on a sony vaio s150 laptop. So maybe its just pci. Im gonna try the kexts files when I find them. Im runing 10.4.6. So thats probably it. How do I know if the cards runing through agp? Im going to try different kext files. But Im not gonna play any games on my pc. I only need the screen big. Which I wasn't able to do until I read your instructions. Thanks for the awesome help.

Hi,

The 9200 AGP does not have QE, i have a G4 Emac....sorry! ;)

it did this and got it working a diffenent way because the manual editing of the kext through hex editing did not work for me for some reason so the first thing i did was install the koverg patch got qe/ci working then came back and did the callisto patch qe/ci now not working, so then i changed to CallistoFB and rebooted and there it was qe/ci and resolution changing but heres the thing when i try to put the computer to sleep everything goes fine except when trying to resume screen will not come back up and then i reboot and cant get back into the os stopes before boot and hangs. nay solutions?

The Koverg patch does the same thing as the Hex Edit...it's just that Koverg's patch wouldn't work for me, so I manually did it.

I don't know much about sleep mode with the drivers, but you might be able to reset the graphics settings by doing the following:

Boot into Single User mode (-s)

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*
reboot

If that doesn't work, do what this post says to do to remove Callisto, and then reinstall Callisto.