Current Mac Pro - support for GT 8800?

wimdows1

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would be keen to know whether the current generation of the Mac Pro supports the GeForce 8800 GT card out of the box.

Does Snow Leopard recognize it without any issues? Can I install any GT 8800 PCI-e card? Surely it doesn't have to be a GT 8800 bought from Apple? I heard the GT 8800 is effectively the same card as the GT 240? Do I need to flash the 8800 BIOS to a GT240 one?

Any insights appreciated.

Thanks,

Wim

I think an off the shelf Nvidia 8800 GT will not work. I think, that the Apple ones have a special video ROM. Although I think there is a way to Flash the ROM on the off the shelf 8800 GT which might then work in a Mac Pro. If you search around you might find someone that has posted a video ROM file from a 8800 GT out of a Mac Pro. You will have to do some more research and find out for sure.

Good Luck.

Oh {censored}. I have a 8800 GT lying around you see.

Hmm. May as well get a stock ATI 4870 then and flash it. Saves me 160 quid in Apple tax.

I was just hoping I could install the 8800 GT without any flashing. :-(

Thanks for the reply.

Your other alternative is a Nvidia GT 120 from apple store, unless you need dual DVI. It's 149 USD, not sure how much across the pond. I Bought one for my "Mac Pro" (see signature) it works great.

Err, if you have Mac Pro and GT 8800, why dont you try it? I've seen recently video on youtube (keywords: nvidia 8800GT mac pro installation) where some guy installes a 8800GT in his mac pro and everthing works. I'm not so sure that it was Mac graphics carde so try it...

Let us know what happened!

cheers,

an1r0n

Oh {censored}. I have a 8800 GT lying around you see.

Hmm. May as well get a stock ATI 4870 then and flash it. Saves me 160 quid in Apple tax.

I was just hoping I could install the 8800 GT without any flashing. :-(

Thanks for the reply.

Err, if you have Mac Pro and GT 8800, why dont you try it? I've seen recently video on youtube (keywords: nvidia 8800GT mac pro installation) where some guy installes a 8800GT in his mac pro and everthing works. I'm not so sure that it was Mac graphics carde so try it...

Let us know what happened!

cheers,

an1r0n

Can't try it yet. ;-) Got a Mac Pro on order, with the default GT 120 in there, but the GT 8800 is clearly a better card, which I do have lying around.

The other possibility is to get the ATI 4870 and flash that. Decisions, decisions...

Apple's done well in making the Mac Pro (apart from they could do with a Mac Pro Mini ;-)) a great computer with excellent upgrade options, but I really wish they'd allow for straight stock PCI-e gfx cards to be installed.

Can't try it yet. ;-) Got a Mac Pro on order, with the default GT 120 in there, but the GT 8800 is clearly a better card, which I do have lying around.

The other possibility is to get the ATI 4870 and flash that. Decisions, decisions...

Apple's done well in making the Mac Pro (apart from they could do with a Mac Pro Mini ;-)) a great computer with excellent upgrade options, but I really wish they'd allow for straight stock PCI-e gfx cards to be installed.

No money in that for them it will never happen.. You want to go the massive thread (EFI64 one not 32) on the Mac Rumors site and see if anyone has the ROMs/that ROM will work in the newer machine.

Well, you will just have to wait then : ) Dont buy ATI 4870 since it's not exactly new... Probably it's best to wait and try 8800GT (i see no reason why it wouldnt work, but hey). And if it doesnt work, sell 8800GT and GT120... add some money and get something got from gtx series ; )

cheers,

an1r0n