[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Asus G51J/Jx

Obliviux

108 posts in this topic

[DISCLAIMER]This guide is currently a "Work in Progress" since there are still some problems, so look for other solutions than those described in the guide to try and obtain an optimization better! Any advice / suggestions / criticism is welcome! Another thing: I am Italian, so sorry for my bad english[/ DISCLAIMER]

SNOW LEOPARD on ASUS G51J/Jx

Last Update --> 27/02/2010

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

INTRODUCTION

What we want to do is install Snow Leopard Retail on our beautiful Gaming Notebook Asus G51J/Jx.

The differences between the two notebooks could lead to small variations on installing the kext, as I have in my possession only G51Jx, I will base my installation on that, and add gradually their steps to the old model with the suggestions of who is in possession of G51J.

The main differences between the 2 models are:

CHIPSET:

G51J -) Intel PM55

G51Jx -) Intel HM55

Video Card:

G51J -) 260m Nvidia GTX 1GB GDDR3

G51Jx -) Nvidia 360m GTS 1GB GDDR5

HDD:

G51J -) 2 HDD slot

G51Jx -) 1 slot HDD

Other differences are irrelevant, given that the main problems during installation are due to factors mentioned above.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

WHAT YOU NEED

1) Snow Leopard Retail DVD

The original Apple DVD costs only $ 29 and allows us to install Snow Leopard.

2) An empty partition on your HDD

You need to create an empty partition to install Snow Leopard!

3) Empire EFI Boot Disk

The DVD of Snow Leopard will not start without the help of this ever precious Empire EFI! This is the latest version for Core i7 Mobile, extract and burn it into a CD one of the 2 version contained into the rar.

4) 10.6.2 Combo Update

Adds further stability to the system and update to the latest version of Snow Leopard

5) Netkas' Nvidia Injector

Lets start the operating system in 1920x1080 resolution

Note: Snow Leopard installation requires that the HDD is partitioning in GUID, but our Asus are MBR formatted. For those unwilling (like me) completely reformat the HDD goes below!

---- OPTIONAL -----

For those wishing to install using MBR partition must also have the following things:

1) A Mac or Hackintosh where is installed Leopard / Snow Leopard

Is essential a OSX system, because we must use Disk Utility to Restore the DVD of Snow Leopard into a USB key and add the SnowLoader.

2) A USB key 8 or 16 GB

We will fully charge the contents of the DVD-DL Snow Leopard on the USB Key, so we need a large USB Key!

3) Matsca09's SnowLoader

It allows us to install the HDD with MBR partitioning

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

INSTALLATION

1) Insert the Empire EFI cd when the notebook boot.

2) Wait for the Empire EFI screen, then eject the CD and insert Snow Leopard Retail DVD. Press F5 and select the Snow Leopard installation DVD.

3) Wait until the Snow Leopard installation boot up. Select your language.

4) Choose Utility-Disk Utility. Choose the empty partition on your HDD.

*** WORK IN PROGRESS! ***

The main problem of our system is that works only in Single-User mode, with "/sbin/mount -uw /", otherwise i get "Can't initialize Disk cache - Exited with status code 8" and stucks..

360m GTS works OOTB but only at 1024x768 and without QE/CI.

With the Netkas injector I got 1920x1080 but only in Safe Mode, and if I delete NVDAResman.kext it works in normal mode but in 1280x800...

For now Not Works: Audio, Wifi..

Works: Bluetooth, Ethernet..

I'm working on it! :)

Hi bro, thanks for the guide.

Can u tell me what's the midel of your ethernet?

how did u get it work?

thank you.

Mine is G51j. now I get 1920x1080x32 with QE CI enabled, resolution changable, audio driven by voodooHDA, n BT..

Sorry, my mistake: the ethernet is not working. The model is Atheros AR8131, and Wireless is AR9285.

I have modified a kext for our wifi but only recognize Access Point, when you try to connect it get an error...

What VoodooHDA have you used? I have tried with one VoodooHDA founded on the net, I get the Volume on the upper bar but I can't hear anything...

Until now the errors are (on Asus G51Jx):

1) When I try to launch Snow Leopard normally I get the following error:

Unexpected Inconsistency, RUN fsck_hfs MANUALLY

EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

Can't Initialize Disk Cache

Fsck Failed

The only way to get SL works is with -s at boot, and then "/sbin/mount -uw /" or with "maxmem=4096"

It seems a problem with my Jmicron Controller...but I don't know how can I solve this...

2) With Netkas Injector I get Full Resolution only on Safe Mode...in normal mode I get Black Screen... :(

EDIT: Solved with chameleon, adding

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

to com.apple.boot.plist

Now I'm in 1920x1080 but still no QE/CI

3) Ethernet and Wifi doesn't works...But I'm using my iPhone like a modem and works well :)

• 2 weeks later...
@kevin171, do you mind telling us how to get 1920x1080 and QE/CI on the GTS 360M? Are you using a stock Mac OS X Snow Leopard disc?

According to kevin171's post, you will see he is running the G51J not the G51Jx. He is therefore using the 260M. QE/CI on the 260M has been previously reported successful as I understand it. I wish I heard more on the 360M though. Let me know what you turn up.

@Obliviux: I have been waiting for someone to report on a 360M with QE/CI... so let me know if any particular method works. Which kext are you using for the 360M btw? Is it the NVDANV50Hal?

• 2 weeks later...

every time my friend tried to install snow leopard on my g51j it would keep rejecting it after we put in the cd after the empire had finshed loading would really love it if you could finish the guide cause i would love to get mac working on my laptop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

just to update the status of my G51J-A1

260m driven by DSDT, ALC663 by voodooHDA, AR8131 LAN by reader02's driver AtherosL1cEthernet.kext, BT, camera, USB, AHCI working, ...

Now I just left intel wifi 1000, i think no hope to be done in years.

Any1 have any question, plz feel free 2 ask.

Snow Leopard on Asus G60JX-RBB05

slightly off-topic (but only slightly, the HW in the G60vx is almost identical to what's in this thread: see sig).

Any help on Audio will engender eternal gratefulness and lots of karma.

Not working:

• Audio: Using various methods. With this VoodooHDA fork (which no-one else seems to have any trouble with ;) ) I get mic in, playing back through the built-in speakers, so I know it's working, but only the NVIDIA HDMI devices show up in the Sound pref pane (also know it's working from IOReg; the VoodooHDA driver is bound to all of the audio hardware).

• Sleep: Need to play with this; low priority

• Keyboard: Fn keys (who cares *shrug*)

Working:

• Using the latest (206) BIOS from Asus.
  • I've got SL 10.6.3 / kernel 10.3.1 (the ".1" is for the latest MBP Software update: 1.3). Got it running in pure 64-bit mode, though I'll prolly run in 32-bit once everything is working.
  • The vanilla kernel didn't work for me until that MBP update. I had been using the kernel from the Preboot.dmg on the Empire boot CD.
  • I'm using an update of the Chameleon EFI bootloader, AsereBLN_v1.1.9. It auto-probes correct memory info, takes Platform UUID from BIOS, patches DSDT to make restart work without a kext, and patches ACPI V2 FACP PM_Profile's "system-type" (good for laptops), among other things.
  • Don't have to boot with "cpus=1".
  • "MacBookPro6,2" in smbios (this is actually important, for various reasons).
  • Video (NV 360M): GraphicsEnabler!! w00t!! I think the key here is to Use.The.Latest.Kernel.Possible i.e. the MBP Software update 1.3. I didn't have to futz with strings/enablers/PCI IDs or any other hacks; just let Chameleon do the work.
  • Shutdown/Restart
  • screen blank
  • Webcam works OOB(!)
  • Kexts

• AtherosL1cEthernet
    • NullCPUPowerManagement
    • VoodooPS2Controller
    • AppleACPIPS2Nub
    • VoodooBattery
    • FakeSMC

Everything either came from official webpages, ProjectOSX threads, or nawcom.com/osx86/
  • Probably a few other tweaks I can't remember right now, including DSDT

If anyone is interested, I'll post links to the stuff I'm using. I hate "kext packs", 'cause I have no idea where they came from, by the time I get hold of them they're usually out-of-date, and I don't know where to get updated versions (and also "teach someone to fish...", etc).

P.S. If/when I get sound working, I'll probably do a guide, as this laptop is actually pretty easy to get going (in hindsight :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed sound using VoodooHDA:

Replace "IOPCIClassMatch" key/string with "IOPCIMatch", "0x3b568086" in VoodooHDA.kext's Info.plist. That's the specific DEV_ID/VEN_ID for the Intel HDA controller.

• 2 weeks later...

@quaestor, it would be absolutely great if you could do a step-by-step guide for noobs like me who doesn't understand how to use a custom bootloader and stuff. What Mac OS X disk did you use to install? The retail one?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

This is all the stuff im using. if you use chameleon, put all these in sl/extra

should get your video, sound, battery, lan work.

im still working on the dsdt file, not perfect now. i'll keep update.

Hi kevin,

I was wondering if you can show me how you modified your DSDT specifically for the GTX 260m? Or provide any links to a tutorial?

I used the nvidia injector from this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...177855&st=0

Found in this zip.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=60209

But when i boot i get Nvidia 9800m as my video card. Full 1080 resolution. but its not quite as fast as when i used your DSDT. I had tried your DSDT but I didn't get any of the NTFS volumes to show up which i need to access so I wish to just add the GTX 260m Portion of your dsdt to my dsdt file.. but i have no idea where the entire entry begins and ends.

Thanks.

Bavc99

A VERY dirty hack to get OS X to boot normally:

1. Boot into single user mode as normal with -s
  2. Mount the file system by running: mount -uw /
  3. Move the old file system checks to a safe place by running: mv /sbin/fsck /sbin/fsck.old; mv /sbin/fsck_hfs /sbin/fsck_hfs.old
  4. Make a drop-through fake check by running: pico /sbin/fsck
  5. While under pico type this:
    #!/bin/bash

exit 0

6. Once you have done that press Ctrl+X, hit Y, then hit Enter
  7. Copy the false check for fsck_hfs by running: cp /sbin/fsck /sbin/fsck_hfs
  8. Finally, reboot by running: reboot

So, here is the order of commands:

mount -uw /
mv /sbin/fsck /sbin/fsck.old
mv /sbin/fsck_hfs /sbin/fsck_hfs.old
pico /sbin/fsck
cp /sbin/fsck /sbin/fsck_hfs
reboot

It should be noted that this is a dirty and possibly dangerous hack; however, it works until I can find the root of the problem and fix whatever code is preventing the hard drive from properly being checked.

I'll likely continue working on this platform until it is completely functional, this laptop is my baby and OS X will always be my OS of choice.

Wow guys this is awesome, I have been battling with my G51J for a while now and the files you linked here are making everything peachy.

Now if I can just get my iphone to mount in itunes and stop the sound settings forgetting their position I am well on the way to a 100% functioning mac on a 1080p 15" laptop and that's a beastly combo!!

Much thanks to all on this thread.

Well I'm close to having a near perfect install and setup.

The only things I am struggling with are...

sleep - closing the lid or choosing sleep causes the display to go blank and the disk light to stay on. I have to do a force power off to reboot and then OS X tries to restart from a corrupt sleep image so that's not so good I guess.

USB - tried the various kexts around to fix the issue of iPhone and iPad not showing in iTunes but they won't show even though they are there in the system profiler. Using vanilla 10.6.2 USB family at the moment.

Card reader - no joy

Down to only 5 kexts on what is virtually a perfect system.

AppleACPIPS2Nub

ApplePS2Controller

fakesmc

VoodooBattery

VoodooHDA

If anyone has any ideas or solutions to the sleep, iphone or card reader that would be awesome.

Thanks for all the help in this thread, my hackintosh is rocking!!!

J

Update: Updated the bios to G60J 207 and iphone issues are all solved very nicely in 10.6.4

Display sleep works but still struggling with shutdown and deep sleep though.

Updated the bios to 207 and iphone issues are all solved very nicely.

Still struggling with shutdown and hibernate though

First, as much as I appreciate your updates, I must ask that you use the edit feature of this forum; this keeps things much more organized.

Second, is that a typo or is that actually 207? I can't seem to find the 207 BIOS anywhere, only version 206.