[GUIDE] Snow Leopard with 100% vanilla /S/L/E - Comprehensive DSDT patching guide

Silencers

125 posts in this topic

I've only tried PC EFI 10.5 with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, didn't work for me. Unfortunatelly the main problem with my ATI is not actual injection, but poor framebuffers that are available.

i have a T60 2007D65,

CPU:Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz

Graphics: ATI Mobility X1400

WiFi: Atheros 5418

BIOS Version:2.25

i have installed snow leopard 10c2234 on my laptop and used your DSDT files attached in this post, it worked partially for me,these devices work just fine:wifi,sound,bluetooth,fingerprint,Intel Pro 1000, :D ,Dude,you are awesome!!!!!

unfortunatelly,my screen res is not changeable,it's stuck in 1400*1050 with mouse tear ! i followed your guide and tryed to get my EFI String but there is no atiinject.kext in my S/L/E;one more thing,i don't know what values to change to get speedstep woking for my CPU T7200.

will you adjust your DSDT files according to my laptop hardware? :D

i am a rookie in mac os x, please help me,

if you need more specific information about my laptop to adjust the dsdt files,please let me know!!

thank you in advance!!

Dear Silencers,

There's some problems(i mean bug) with my DSDT(A lil bit modified).

Guess you could figure those out that can help me.

Probs are:

1) Could not use Speed step and sleep mode

2) Serial ATA device tree at sis profiler shows "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller"!

System Configuration:

Intel DP55WB mobo(using latest BIOS)

Core i5 2.66 750

4 gig 1333 DDR3 ram

Asus 9400GT 512mb

Snow leo 10.6.2 Retail with AsereBLN Booter 1.1.9

And

here's my DSDT.aml attachted...

Anyway, thanx a lot... :)

DSDT.aml.zip

unfortunatelly,my screen res is not changeable,it's stuck in 1400*1050 with mouse tear ! i followed your guide and tryed to get my EFI String but there is no atiinject.kext in my S/L/E;one more thing,i don't know what values to change to get speedstep woking for my CPU T7200.

will you adjust your DSDT files according to my laptop hardware? :D

i am a rookie in mac os x, please help me,

if you need more specific information about my laptop to adjust the dsdt files,please let me know!!

Well, X1400 is different from my video, so my ATI files and EFI strings won't work for you. DSDT fixes won't help, you need to find a solution (ATI framebuffers) for your video.

One of the options that might work almost without any work - RadeonHD.kext. You need to delete/disable ATINDRV.kext and remove the device-properties block in com.apple.Boot.plist. Then you can place RadeonHD.kext to /E/E or /S/L/E and run full pfix caches regeneration.

If it doesn't work OOB for you, insert your EDID into RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

1) Could not use Speed step and sleep mode

2) Serial ATA device tree at sis profiler shows "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller"!

Ok, with Sleep it might be very hard to find out the real problem. First of all, of course, you need to enable vanilla speed step, it usually affects sleep in one way or another.

You need HPET, RTC, IPIC fixes in your DSDT, and then you need to study this thread, because every CPU is different, and it will be hard for me to help you without being able to experiment a lot. Basic steps for you should be the same as I described in my guide, but you will have to add your P-states to DSDT (I didn't have to do that).

With AHCI controller - it is a very easy fix in DSDT. You have ICH9 which is not yet supported in OSX. So you need to mask it as ICH8. You should use the same SATA fix I posted above for imacken.

With AHCI controller - it is a very easy fix in DSDT. You have ICH9 which is not yet supported in OSX. So you need to mask it as ICH8. You should use the same SATA fix I posted above for imacken.

The SATA fix didn't work though. I did post my DSDT as you asked, but nothing happened. I guess you didn't have time to have a look.

I've changed it, so I've attached the new one if you get a chance to look at it.

Thanks.

DSDT.aml.zip

The SATA fix didn't work though. I did post my DSDT as you asked, but nothing happened. I guess you didn't have time to have a look.

I've changed it, so I've attached the new one if you get a chance to look at it.

Thanks.

I've incorporated my suggested fix into your latest DSDT, give it a go:

dsdt_sata_fix.zip

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, it didn't work. SATA shows up as ICH8 and I get the Orange icons on the desktop.

I've read a few more articles, and I think you can stick to injector kext for now. To reduce the overall number of kexts you can combine it with the main legacy kext.

I've read a few more articles, and I think you can stick to injector kext for now. To reduce the overall number of kexts you can combine it with the main legacy kext.

Well, thanks for trying anyway.

The DSDT I sent you works fine without an injector. The only thing is that SATA shows up as ESB2 as opposed to ICH10, but it works. I am running with only 1 kext now, and that is fakesmc.

First off excellent writeup Silencers, very very VERY thorough.

I also have a t60p though with the v5250 card (1600x1050) that requires modification of the ATIRadeonX1000 and wanted to compare your dsdt to mine. Unfortunately when I tried to download your files to compare them RapidShare gave me the following error (This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times. This limit is reached.)

First off excellent writeup Silencers, very very VERY thorough.

I also have a t60p though with the v5250 card (1600x1050) that requires modification of the ATIRadeonX1000 and wanted to compare your dsdt to mine. Unfortunately when I tried to download your files to compare them RapidShare gave me the following error (This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times. This limit is reached.)

Thanks for pointing this out. I will reupload files to MediaFire as soon as I make additions to the guide. I plan to do it in a few days.

I've downloaded your new files and I'm comparing them now, a few differences between my base system and yours but not many, hopefully I can figure out what is stopping my Vanilla SpeedStep from working.

Right now my Legacy kext only includes the information for ACPI_SMC_Platformplugin since I'm happy with the AppleAzalia driver and I have to patch ATIRadeonX1000 to get my video card to work anyway.

One thing on the brightness slider, have you figured out how to have it work for anything lower then 75%? That is about as low as I can put it before the left side of my screen goes "black" and my right side continues to dim. Also on the video question, have you ever tried an external monitor with the DVI output on one of the Lenovo docks? I have the VGA output working fine but I cannot get DVI to work. It works through bootup but right when it switches to the login screen it does dark and receives no signal. Ahh well more troubleshooting to do.

One thing on the brightness slider, have you figured out how to have it work for anything lower then 75%? That is about as low as I can put it before the left side of my screen goes "black" and my right side continues to dim. Also on the video question, have you ever tried an external monitor with the DVI output on one of the Lenovo docks? I have the VGA output working fine but I cannot get DVI to work. It works through bootup but right when it switches to the login screen it does dark and receives no signal. Ahh well more troubleshooting to do.

With brightness - nothing we can do unless someone writes a proper framebuffer for us. RadeonHD.kext works quite well, but has a lot of problems with mouse cursor. It's a shame, because brightness works there very well.

As for external monitor - didn't have a chance to test it properly. I suppose the secret of success is hidden in the injected EFI with ATI params. You might look into proper EDID string for DVI.

With brightness - nothing we can do unless someone writes a proper framebuffer for us. RadeonHD.kext works quite well, but has a lot of problems with mouse cursor. It's a shame, because brightness works there very well.

As for external monitor - didn't have a chance to test it properly. I suppose the secret of success is hidden in the injected EFI with ATI params. You might look into proper EDID string for DVI.

I've played with RadeonHD, I actually have a couple of scripts that automate the changing between ATIFramebuffer & RadeonHD if I want to save power by dimming. The only problem I had with RadeonHD was that it did not allow my system to sleep. Now if it's been updated and that's fixed I'll move back to it, the mouse tearing didn't bother me that much at all.

With trying to get speedstepping to work I'm receiving the following two errors in my kernel.log. Any ideas?

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::loadStepperProgram - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATESTEPPER) failed, result = 0x4

Here is a paste bin of my whole kernel.log http://pastebin.com/nFBPr5AP

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::loadStepperProgram - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATESTEPPER) failed, result = 0x4

The first one is because you didn't generate kext caches properly. The second is probably related to that. Just run pfix without any params and be patient.

It is also possible that it might be related to OSBundleRequired in your legacy kext. It needs to have the following value:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Local-Root</string>

On the brightness thing, I can't get a brightness slider to appear at all in display preferences, and I am not able to change brightness in games, etc.

Anyone offer anything on that?

Judging from your signature, you have Nvidia, which is a completely different animal than ATI, so I won't be able to help you there.

It did end up being something wrong with my cache, pfix fixed that and I seem to have SpeedStepping (sp?) working, though I don't know if it's better then what I have with VoodooPowerMini or not.

I am curious about one thing. I have the x1700/v5250 card in my T60p so to get it to work I not only have to modify ATIRadeonX1000.kext's Info.plist but also the binary too. I am able to be QE/CI working by doing this and then using either ATIinject.kext or EFI strings in com.apple.Boot. I do not have ATINDRV.kext anywhere on my system and stuff is working find including sleep but you said that it was needed. What benefit would ATINDRV.kext provide me?

It did end up being something wrong with my cache, pfix fixed that and I seem to have SpeedStepping (sp?) working, though I don't know if it's better then what I have with VoodooPowerMini or not.

Refer to my guide to see how to check if you have C-states enabled. If you do - it is better than VoodooPower, because CPU will eat less power with C-states.

I am curious about one thing. I have the x1700/v5250 card in my T60p so to get it to work I not only have to modify ATIRadeonX1000.kext's Info.plist but also the binary too. I am able to be QE/CI working by doing this and then using either ATIinject.kext or EFI strings in com.apple.Boot. I do not have ATINDRV.kext anywhere on my system and stuff is working find including sleep but you said that it was needed. What benefit would ATINDRV.kext provide me?

I don't think that ATINDRV will give anything to you, it is an old version of ATI framebuffer, you probably have working new one without any problems. Can you share with me the information regarding your binary patch, I would like to try this with X1600 to see if I can get rid of ATINDRV.

Refer to my guide to see how to check if you have C-states enabled. If you do - it is better than VoodooPower, because CPU will eat less power with C-states.

Okay I do not match your guide completely, you mentioned that I should be showing 5 values in PerformanceStateArray, I'm only showing 4, I also now have the CPULimit entry but it's value is 0x3. Picture Attached. Hmmmm

I don't think that ATINDRV will give anything to you, it is an old version of ATI framebuffer, you probably have working new one without any problems. Can you share with me the information regarding your binary patch, I would like to try this with X1600 to see if I can get rid of ATINDRV.

Sure here is my quick writeup I did on it. http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=650

Basically my card's ids weren't known by the driver's binary at all. I had to search for another version 71de (don't remember which card this was) and replace it with 71d4 (My card). I found this mentioned somewhere else but it was for versions prior to 10.6 so I wrote up what I found.

Ahhh all the little pieces to fix, just realized I've lost my Ultrabay DVD Burner support, hmmmmmmmmm.

:-D ah well, I find this somewhat enjoyable, well only if I'm seeing some progress, if I'm not getting anywhere I want to bring out the baseball bat.

post-503234-1270570988_thumb.png

hi ,

I have a thinkpad r61i.

Now ,i use snow leopard 10.6.3 on my thinkpad.

but,I have three problem:

1 I dont want use voodoohda.kext.Can you use Legacy.kext and AppleHDA.kext to make sound work?

2 Atheros wireless's ID,I can't find it.(like your 168c,24)

3 When My thinkpad sleep,I can't make wake up.How to do ?

otherwise,

"Brightness slider in Display preferences with DSTD patch, but uneven brightness control."

it can't work! Does there be have some update?

thanks a lot!