Should i get a real mac?

Sauli

23 posts in this topic

Hello guys! I have had Hackintosh for a while now. And i am thinking about getting a real mac. Macbook Pro.

I can sell my computer and my NDS. But im not sure if i should or should not.

And should i get iMac or Macbook pro? What is best?

Macbook pro for 1990 . 160GB hd and 2GB ram

iMac 21 for 1950 . 500GB hd and 4GB ram

Help me Guys

To be honest it all depends on what you're planning to do and how much you are willing to pay. Personally since I already have a laptop I would buy myself a desktop computer, probably an iMac 27". If you think you need a laptop then go for the macbook pro but for the money you're probably going to get a better computer with a desktop.

Seriously it all depends on what you are planning to do with your computer and how you use it... If you bring it to work or school or if you travel a lot.

Good luck with your purchase!

Hmm.. I dont travel alot but i just like Portable computers better. But its just not worth it because iMac is better.

Its really hard for me to decide :/

And i only have money for 1 of them and if i buy a mac now i need to wait like 1 - 3 Years to get another one.

Yeah I know what you mean... I love my laptop and I love having a laptop but the best bang for your buck is definatly a desktop computer... and nowadays netbook or laptops are pretty cheap if your not looking for ultra performance so you could buy one later on.

Hmmm.. I know i should get a desktop but i have had Desktop my whole life and i like desktops but i like Laptops more :/.. The thing is that i have never had a laptop and i have wanted a laptop for a long time. but i dont know. Maybe i get tired of laptops i dont know what to do.

Hmm.. I dont travel alot but i just like Portable computers better. But its just not worth it because iMac is better.

Its really hard for me to decide :/

And i only have money for 1 of them and if i buy a mac now i need to wait like 1 - 3 Years to get another one.

Ask yourself this question. For the next three years, how often will i need to take a computer when I go somewhere.

Forget about what you like, think about what your requirements are.

And why is the laptop "just not worth it" compared to an iMac. Stop comparing the two, they are meant for different uses. as for performance, I have a 27" base iMac, and a 13" MacBook Pro. I really don't notice any major performance differences between the two. They are both quite responsive.

Hmmm.. I know i should get a desktop but i have had Desktop my whole life and i like desktops but i like Laptops more :/.. The thing is that i have never had a laptop and i have wanted a laptop for a long time. but i dont know. Maybe i get tired of laptops i dont know what to do.

Why don't you get a used MacBook, and a new iMac, you will have the best of both worlds. You can try out a laptop to see if you like it, but won't feel like you are stuck for 1 to 3 years.

Yeah I never really understood it either. People that use their computers literally everyday (like literally everyone these days) should never skimp on performance or visual appeal in my opinion. Why get the low end stuff when its that important to you? A PC computer (even a super pricey 'real mac' is like $2000 im sure) is still nothing like a investment for a car or something. I say go for what you want man, you only live once, use it wisely! Enjoy!

What I tell my customers is always don't get an expensive laptop. The Macbook is nice but they are easily; lost, stolen, or broken, droped etc...

Well worth the extra money is the iMac 27" i7. It is the only computer they sell that I think is fair value. It is a great computer and will last for years and will be a joy to use.

Then get a cheap netbook for on the road, holidays, sysncing photos, email, contacts and documents can all be sysnced to the cloud with Dropbox and photobucket or gmail photos, flickr etc... If you lose your little netbok no biggie. it was cheap.

Honetly the iMac dual core for 2000.00 just isn't god value. I could honestly build it for 300 bucks. But the i7 iMac is a great computer and fair value.

I hope that helps

P.

I have also been thinking about getting a new computer. The portability of a laptop sounds great. It would be nice to be able to work any where in my house, and to take my projects with me.

I run a multiple monitor system, and I found this link that shows you how to use USB Video cards to get multiple monitors with your laptop. Very cool

The price difference between a desktop and laptop is usually speed vs portability. You will get more speed with the desktop and you get the freedom of working anywhere with a laptop.

I know. Thats the thing. But i think i am going to get an iMac now and maybe a macbook pro after a year.

If you can part with an addtional $600 go with the i5/i7 27".

The difference in screen size is well worth the additional cost and then off course you get a MUCH faster system that'll last you MUCH longer. Being you can't upgrade many of the components that i5/i7 imac will last you a good 4/5 years.

Purchased one for my uncle. Though I tried talking him out of it saying he could get a i7 pc for $1000 I'm glad he didn't listen. That screen ITSELF is worth like $1200. It is BEAUTIFUL. I'd save up the extra money.*

I would love to purchase one just for the screen. Dual boot OSX and Win 7. It's just that I don't have $1900 to spend :)

* = if you havn't already purchased it.

I got abtelectronics to pricematch apple epp price. No tax. Free shipping. Can't beat it. Saved me $200 including taxes.

• 1 month later...

I'd wait a little while, lots of rumors about new line of MacBook Pros coming this month, supposedly with Core i5 and i7 processors, if that really happens, then I'd definitely buy the MacBook Pro instead of the iMac

I have toyed with getting a 27' iMac several times, but still can't justify it.

If you look at my signature plus a 28 inch monitor and 4 x 500Gb WD HDDs and other bits, then my system blows the iMacs away for a lot less money. You can't change any bits, e.g. graphics cards, or add HDDs.

Add to that a perfect working Snow and Leo install, so why would I want to buy an iMac - apart from going legit?

The main reason I have what I have is for games largely. For my business work and image processing I could live with the performance of the top end iMacs if I didn't play games. I'm afraid the 512Mb 4850 ATI just doesn't hack it!

It all just depends on what you use your computer for.

Hello guys! I have had Hackintosh for a while now. And i am thinking about getting a real mac. Macbook Pro.

I can sell my computer and my NDS. But im not sure if i should or should not.

And should i get iMac or Macbook pro? What is best?

Macbook pro for 1990 . 160GB hd and 2GB ram

iMac 21 for 1950 . 500GB hd and 4GB ram

Help me Guys

Bogus Post 1: My bad, apparently you have to bogus post 5 times before you can create your own thread! Stupidity at it's peak really!

I have toyed with getting a 27' iMac several times, but still can't justify it.

If you look at my signature plus a 28 inch monitor and 4 x 500Gb WD HDDs and other bits, then my system blows the iMacs away for a lot less money. You can't change any bits, e.g. graphics cards, or add HDDs.

Add to that a perfect working Snow and Leo install, so why would I want to buy an iMac - apart from going legit?

The main reason I have what I have is for games largely. For my business work and image processing I could live with the performance of the top end iMacs if I didn't play games. I'm afraid the 512Mb 4850 ATI just doesn't hack it!

It all just depends on what you use your computer for.

Your 28" display doesn't have 2560x1440 resolution. Big difference. Otherwise it's understandable that you'd prefer the Hackintosh. If I didn't already have a 30" 2560x1600 display and a fast quad core, I'd easily jump for the 27" iMac.

For laptops, I have yet to find a PC laptop that comes anywhere close to Macbook Pros. They may have better specs on paper, but in ease of use etc they are usually years behind with the crappy trackpads, poor external display connections (no, HDMI that does only 1920x1200 is not good enough and I sure as hell don't want a VGA port making the laptop thicker).