• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

racketprophet

racketprophet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Hi Guys! Can anyone in the community check this site and if ever try to download the application on this site.. Just a WARNING, it contains a virus for MACs. I was going to download a youtube video using the application on the link. I do not know but suddenly after i clicked download link my computer went black screen. Then after i restarted my SNOW OSX desktop refreshes just like when you see as you logon like blue screen and then the desktop. It occurs every 6-8 seconds and never stops. If any of you have a spare HACKINTOSH setup to try this if it occurs on your machine too please let me know and maybe someone in the community can help solve this.

Here's the link----- http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

By the way i'm not quite sure if this was the link but im 100% sure it was a youtube video downloader.

XLR

XLR

2cores1cpu.mov

• Donators
  • 916 posts
Come on guys, who has the balls to click?

xameleon

xameleon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
i think not you
i have click it,nothing happends
anyway this site have the youtube downloader,an application who all knows in the windows os
i think on mac os x(any version) cant anyone make virus who can brick your system without your vertification
all the system files(kexts,kernel,efi,blahblahblah)uses permition
that is mean who cant anyone without access permitions brick your system or delete/modify system files

sorry for my english

srs5694

srs5694

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Xameleon, you're being too optimistic. There are known security problems with just about every OS ever written, OS X included. For instance, certain bugs can enable users to acquire root (administrative) privileges without knowing any password. If such a program exists on your system and if you're tricked into running a program that then exploits such a bug to install something else that itself runs as root, then your system can be compromised.

That said, security issues for Windows are particularly bad because it's popular. OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, and other OSes benefit to some extent because their numbers are too small to make virus writers salivate the way they do when they contemplate Windows. Another point: Security exploits for Windows have traditionally taken the form of viruses and Trojans. I'm not sure about OS X specifically, but for Unix-like systems generally, exploits often take the form of remote break-in tools, which don't spread automatically. This is at least partly because Unix has traditionally been more of a server OS, so those who are interested in compromising Unix systems are often interested in breaking into specific systems, whereas those who want to break into Windows want to do so in order to set up botnets or just wreak havoc, rather than target specific systems.

racketprophet

racketprophet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Great inputs srs.. By the way, i remember it too that the youtube video downloader after installation has a .jar extension. It's not a .app like mac apps have. srs, do you have any suggestion on how to treat it? Or do i have to reformat it? Coz even if i go safe mode the refreshing still occurs..

Psygon

Psygon

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Maybe if you have Little Snitch installed on your machine, you could see if
any "virus" want open some new outcoming door ;)

xameleon

xameleon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
anyway i think on mac os x you cant get a virus who can crash your system files
so! the link and the topic is fake

srs5694

srs5694

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Please re-read my earlier message. It is at least theoretically possible. I'm not an expert on OS X security, so I don't know if any OS X viruses actually exist in the wild, but I guarantee you that an OS X virus is possible on a theoretical level. The bottom line: Don't start feeling too secure just because you run OS X.

Ell Brando

Ell Brando

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

LOL Dude how wrong u are first next time think before your start typing Linux Pc and also Mac can get an virus that can crash your system files. most virus are just for pc so they dont work on mac but there are hackers that have the power to make one that will destroy your mac. and cause you to recover

Matty___

Matty___

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

it's about the numbers. 90% or so of all computers run windows but does not mean you are 100% save because you run mac.

I can send you a shell script that will prove my point :P

rm -Rf / will at lease delete all of your user data and if i get your root you will lose everything. every installer asks for it. it's little effort to use that and run the script with it.

racketprophet

racketprophet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Maybe if you have Little Snitch installed on your machine, you could see if
any "virus" want open some new outcoming door :)

I did have Little Snitch installed..

Thanks for the support for this topic guys.. Xameleon i would not be starting this topic it was fake. I have great respect to this community because i get inputs and solutions here that had my hackintosh working smoothly. So if you think its fake then stop replying.. Thank you..

kexik

kexik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Unless you provide your system password programs can't harm your system.

James cuck

James cuck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Apple’s Mac OS X software has been hit by a mischievous instant messaging virus – the first ever to target the platform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy