Information on VESA modes in ATI&NVIDIA bios

DieBuche

261 posts in this topic

I didn't flash the rom back to the card. Just loaded it from Chameleon.

Oh, fair enough. I owned an 8800GT before the 460 as well, and I don't remember having this problem. I might just not have noticed it though.

It definitely wasn't there with the 8800GT, because I remember fixing it so the logo wasn't stretched. I think all I had to do was put the graphic mode in the chameleon plist (and possibly edit the theme res).

Ah, fair enough. It was a while ago that I used Snow Leopard with my 8800GT. So has anybody found any kind of fix for the GTX 460?

That's a typo on my part, now corrected! as per the first post you are looking for > 20 03 00 01 58 02

swap for > 80 07 00 01 38 04 < if you need 1920x1080!

D

Please help to set a resolution 2560x1440 for a Ati Saphire 5770!

I already made the modifcation for 1920x1080 like above!

I really appreciate your help

Thanks and best regards

MasterLen

Hi DieBuche, I have successfully updated my vbios using your guide and I really appreciate your knowledge and guide. I now have unsquased apple logo with correct resolution. But I still see black border around chameleon/apple boot screen (around all corners, about 1 inch thick). I know its under scanning issue, But I just dont know how to fix it, and you seems to me the most knowledgeble person on this. But this black border only appears if I am using DVI input and NOT on VGA. I have tried different monitors with1080p resolution, but issue remains the same, so its not a monitor issue. Once windows/mac has booted up I get get perfect resolution of 1080p. I am using ATI 5750. I have added the resolution in apple.com.plist and modified theme. ATI CCC only hepls scaliing/underscanning/overscaaning issue when syatem has booted up. It does not correct it on initial boot i.e. bios splash screen/ apple grey screen/windows safe mod when the gpu driver has not loaded.

I would really apprecaite your help on this.

Thanks to dublove i was finally able to hard flash my MSi ATi HD 5870, i can get now 1920 x 1080, but i still have those 1 inch thick, awful borders. Does anyone know, how to remove them?

I have the same problem, with an HD 4850. I noticed the resolution did change, because during boot there were some lines that wouldn't fit in one line and now it does.

Besides, in case of any problem with my monitor, I believe it would be safer to have 800x600 mode. I guess it'd be better to replace another "less useful" resolution, perhaps 1152x864. How can I do that?

Edit: another reason, look what happened to my BIOS screen (previously, it was fullscreen, almost full, with the same black borders).

Edit2: I managed to replace 1600x1200 with 1920x1080, so BIOS went back to normal, but I still have those borders.

I also have this issue with my Radeon 6970.

Went to the effort of patching the VBIOS and Chimera now displays in 1920x1080 however it is surrounded by black borders, this is underscan.

So yes, it seems the video adapter is outputting 1080p like you have told it to with the VBIOS edit and your .plist, however it's also taking and scaling down that display resolution. For example, if I install a fresh Catalyst Control in Windows I also get this underscan after the first reboot, you have to go into the CCC scaling options to change it. However this does not work for boot.

Maybe there is something in the Chameleon/Chimera source that references the default underscan? Or else maybe there are some bytes we can edit in the VBIOS to set/clear the default underscan?

I'm not sure if it's relevant but the issue seems to exist on Linux distro's and has been solved there. The Arch Linux Wiki refers to it:

My TV is showing a black border around the screen

When I connected my TV to my Radeon HD 5770 using the HDMI port, the TV showed a blurry picture with a 2-3cm border around it. This is not the case when using the proprietary driver. However, this protection against overscanning (see Wikipedia:Overscan) can be turned off using xrandr:

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set underscan off

I know it's only cosmetic and we only see the bootloader for a second, but I'd love to get this right after putting so much time into it.

It would be cool if the devs could add it to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist also if that's even possible, something like:

<key>Underscan</key>

<string>No</string>

or

<key>Underscan</key>

<string>0%</string>

or

<key>Overscan</key>

<string>20%</string>

Since the .plist can control the resolution etc I thought maybe it could control over/underscan levels too.

As with a lot of people, I'd be very grateful if someone could find a way to sort this out properly. Right now I'm using 1280x800, because that's my maximum widescreen VESA mode, but it's still not the right aspect ratio (native is 1920x1080) and I still have big black borders around the edge of my bootloader image.

I think it only affects those of us with 16:9 aspect ratios.. For example it seems if you run at 16:10; 2560x1600 or 1920x1200 (i.e: Apple displays), you won't have the problem? It's also strange that it doesn't happen if you use a VGA connection.. I tested mine with DVI last night and there's definitely no change from HDMI.

I changed the background of my Chimera theme to black anyway, so it looks great now. Only problem is it then goes on to the Mac OS boot screen which has the white/grey background and Apple logo, not so pretty with those black borders around it. :worried_anim:

I think it only affects those of us with 16:9 aspect ratios.. For example it seems if you run at 16:10; 2560x1600 or 1920x1200 (i.e: Apple displays), you won't have the problem? It's also strange that it doesn't happen if you use a VGA connection.. I tested mine with DVI last night and there's definitely no change from HDMI.

I changed the background of my Chimera theme to black anyway, so it looks great now. Only problem is it then goes on to the Mac OS boot screen which has the white/grey background and Apple logo, not so pretty with those black borders around it. :worried_anim:

Yeah, I think you're probably right about it only affecting people with 16:9 displays. Shame that I never got to try this out on my 1680x1050 screen which I owned up until a month or two ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought an Dell U3011 monitor (2560x1600, 16:10), and now i don't have black bars.. because it stretches the picture??? Would it be possible to change the VESA tables to 2560x1600, so it would run at native res and not stretch, because i think it would look a lot better then?

What would i need to change to for native res?

I have bought an Dell U3011 monitor (2560x1600, 16:10), and now i don't have black bars.. because it stretches the picture??? Would it be possible to change the VESA tables to 2560x1600, so it would run at native res and not stretch, because i think it would look a lot better then?

What would i need to change to for native res?

Lucky you, that's an awesome monitor!

Yes, to get native res you will need to hex edit your 470's BIOS and then flash it using a utility from Windows. Also, you might want to follow this tutorial first to see if it improves. For me, hex editing the BIOS actually didn't actually improve anything, but following the tutorial at least gave me an unstretched 1280x1024 version of Chameleon in the middle of my screen, with black bars around it.

• 1 month later...

So it sounds like i should not even try to get my nvidia 560 to display 2560x1600.

Reading through the posts it looks like hardly anyone has successfully added a resolution to their bios.

So it sounds like i should not even try to get my nvidia 560 to display 2560x1600.

Reading through the posts it looks like hardly anyone has successfully added a resolution to their bios.

Yep. I tried everything with my 460 and had no luck, and the 560 is similar enough that it won't work on the 560 if it doesn't work on the 460.

It's a shame, but I'd just say give up before you start rather than wasting hours trying. :P

On my old monitor i would only get full screen (stretched picture/no black borders) when connected to VGA..

This new monitor makes it full screen on DVI and i can get 1600x1200 res in VESA mode. I don't remember what the max VESA res was before but i got an feeling that it was not 1600x1200.. , maybe it does matter what monitor you have.. or maybe it was cuz my old monitor was 1920x1800 and this new is 2560x1600, bigger res bigger max VESA mode?

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine working on 1920x1080, originally I had a 1920x1440 on my ATI Card.

I simply extracted the VBIOS using GPU-Z and then edited the res using a HEX Editor.

I'll post pics later. Also willing to give help to anyone who needs it

I got mine working on 1920x1080, originally I had a 1920x1440 on my ATI Card.

I simply extracted the VBIOS using GPU-Z and then edited the res using a HEX Editor.

I'll post pics later. Also willing to give help to anyone who needs it

I'm trying to edit my VBIOS so that my Mac boot screen displays 1680 x 1050 instead of what it's currently displaying now which is like 1280 x 1050 (Resolution is fine once up to login screen)

I can get my VBIOS using

GPU-Z though I have no idea how to edit the HEX's so that it supports 1680 x 1050, can you help me?

Mac:~ Vustom$ /Users/Vustom/Desktop/AnalyseVBIOS org.rom

Attempting to open org.rom

terminate called throwing an exceptionAbort trap: 6

Mac:~ Vustom$

This is the error I'm getting. :(

~ Edit

I've fixed it, here is the output;

Mac:~ Vustom$ /Users/Vustom/Vustom/Mac/System/AnalyseVBIOS /Users/Vustom/Vustom/Mac/System/org.rom
Attempting to open /Users/Vustom/Vustom/Mac/System/org.rom
Length:61440
Found 1. possible NVIDIA Mode at 0x3f1e(Decimal:16158)
  Empty Table at 0x403e(Decimal:16446)
  Empty Table at 0x40be(Decimal:16574)
  Empty Table at 0x40fe(Decimal:16638)
Correct number of finds
Mod should be working
Mac:~ Vustom$ 

I'm a little confused, the first empty table is 16446 but in Hex Field it's not there, Hex Field highlights 16416 though, is that the line I'm suppost to replace with this?

90 06 8F 06 00 00 8F 06 BF 06 DF 06 2F 07 1A 04 19 04 00 00 19 04 1B 04 21 04 37 04 00 FF 2F 3F

Also, do I just do this for the first empty table, or all 3?

--

My .rom file: http://d.pr/f/HXTN

I've uploaded the .rom to Droplr if anyone would be kind enough to patch it for me, native resolution is 1680 x 1050. It says I can't upload this kind of file on the forums so that's why I used Droplr. :)

I'm trying to edit my VBIOS so that my Mac boot screen displays 1680 x 1050 instead of what it's currently displaying now which is like 1280 x 1050 (Resolution is fine once up to login screen)

I can get my VBIOS using

GPU-Z though I have no idea how to edit the HEX's so that it supports 1680 x 1050, can you help me?

Go into chameleon boot screen and then push the down arrow key and look at the display modes (its under boot into safe mode). Also send me your VBIOS and I'll send it back patched.