• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

theakseffect

theakseffect

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

How do I use this without OSX installed on my laptop (see specs in sig)?

Fyi: I can't get SL to boot either (I get KP or a black screen and reboot right after apple logo (which is within 2 seconds)). I used the following methods:

Chameleon RC2
Boot-132 + SL retail (no idea which bootloader, it has a nice little gui though)
SL Hazard distro
commands: -v -x -s -f cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=n arch=i386 and "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x16"

Any1?

atlee

atlee

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Any1?

Dont use RC2 it's old and probably is what is causing the KP, Use RC4 boot discs like Empire EFI or tonymacx86 ##### CD.

atlee

atlee

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
Tried to use this on my ATI 5770

Error message >

Attempting to open bios.rom
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc
Abort trap

T-Bone90

T-Bone90

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks a lot, very good Tutorial.

I have mod my 4870 BIOS, nowe I have 1920x1080 in VESA, but my Chameleon don't show this Resolution :-(

What is the Error ?

tolga9009

tolga9009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The main goal of this isn't just to get chameleon to the native resolution, it's to have native resolution in MacOS since the first boot after installation (and maybe during installation), before you've set up GraphicsEnabler, messed with your kexts and all. And to keep native resolution if you have to disable GraphicsEnabler for a while... To have native resolution, no matter what.

I don't know, if I understood you correctly, but is it also possible to have an unstretched (bios) boot logo with this method? The resolution of the bios boot splash is 800x600 and is transmitted as a 800x600 picture to the LCD monitor, where it finally gets scaled up to fill the screen. However, I'd prefer my LCD monitor not to stretch up the picture, but to center it, leaving it at its native resolution and showing it really sharp. Telling my graphics card to send out 1920x1080 pics, (so my LCD display doesn't stretch it up) using this method, will it do the job?

//Edit: I'm talking about the hardflash method.

//Edit2: I thought about it last night and I came to the following conclusion: I need the GPU to tell that he'll do the upscale with an unstretched, centered picture, so the display will just show the received 1920x1080 picture from the GPU. So, the GPU has to do everything. Any ideas how to do it?

frantisheq

frantisheq

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
works with Radeon HD 4550. thanks a lot

carbondry

carbondry

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
This post is fine for analyzing the bios, but how do I actually change it?

Time2Retire

Time2Retire

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 1,012 posts
@DieBuche,

I don't know if you are still around... looking at your posts; the last one was, apparently, made on: Jul 16 2010, 07:35 PM so I'm not too sure. Anyway. I located 17 video modes in the Intel GMA 5700 Graphics BIOS and was wondering if you also located the VESA mode table, as I did. These are reported in Chameleon when you use ?video at the boot prompt.

Anyone else maybe? Just in case :ninja:

pasha_infest

pasha_infest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
anybody get this work on gf9600gt 512 mb (G94 chip)????

i'm flash my card with patched bios, but it doesn't work 4 me! help please! my orig bios here. need a 1920x1080x32 resolution

Attached Files

nothanksyou

nothanksyou

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

2. Structure of VESA modes in NVIDIA VBIOS

The other mode table is 512 bytes long, containing 16 modes, each 32 byte long.

Here is a sample mode from an 8800GTS

00 04 FF 03 00 00 FF 03 17 04 9F 04 3F 05 00 03 FF 02 00 00 FF 02 02 03 08 03 25 03 00 FF 30 2A

Actually, the mode entry starts 2 bytes earlier. The
30 2A
listed above belong to the next mode entry. These two bytes specify the dot (pixel) clock. 2A30h (=10800) corresponds to a dot clock of 108.00MHz.

tolga9009

tolga9009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
One question: anyone besides JJJohan got this working with an HD5XXX card? AnalyseVBIOS just works for HD3XXX and HD4XXX cards; for the HD5XXX series, AnalyseVBIOS gives no output besides the length of the file. I tried 3 different bioses: Sapphire HD5870, ASUS HD5870 and XFX HD5770.
I also tried to manually find the locations (and I found them!) and changed the values. I ended up blindflashing my card; so you can imagine what happened.

I just got the feeling, that the HD5000 series cards aren't compatible with this mod.

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
I agree - I've had no luck with my 5770 either ..

ANVal bootloader has an AutoResolution key that reads EDID at boot and works a treat.
If the sources become available I think this would be a great feature to add to the Chameleon trunk!

D

Twa

Twa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Game, Art

ANVal bootloader has an AutoResolution key that reads EDID at boot and works a treat.
If the sources become available I think this would be a great feature to add to the Chameleon trunk!

D

Any one have code for 1600x900 ? :D and How can I know what bytes my card is using ? (285 GTX)

and Can I add another RES to next empty Decimal ?

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

D

FKA, the sources for AutoResolution are available long time ago:
original topic: http://forum.voodoop...pic,1227.0.html
repo branch: http://forge.voodoop.../autoResolution

But, don't expect this to be included on the trunk. It doesn't work for everyone that might need it.
If/when Chameleon gets "modules" support, then we can create a module out of it and people can try/use it.
Anyway, if you or anyone else wants to add this to your "private" Chameleon, your best shot is take it from my branch;
it's been there since ever and i even try to maintain it, since i actually use it :D

Stay safe

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

FKA, the sources for AutoResolution are available long time ago:
original topic: http://forum.voodoop...pic,1227.0.html
repo branch: http://forge.voodoop.../autoResolution

But, don't expect this to be included on the trunk. It doesn't work for everyone that might need it.
If/when Chameleon gets "modules" support, then we can create a module out of it and people can try/use it.
Anyway, if you or anyone else wants to add this to your "private" Chameleon, your best shot is take it from my branch;
it's been there since ever and i even try to maintain it, since i actually use it :lol:

Stay safe

I've looked at that page a thousand times - How did I miss that ;)

D

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

I've looked at that page a thousand times - How did I miss that :)

D

FKA, it happens to me all the time! :) If you dive in that stuff and need any advice, just send me a yell...

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

FKA, it happens to me all the time! :thanks_speechbubble: If you dive in that stuff and need any advice, just send me a yell...

I started to mess around last night but ended up settling for a glass of wine and a film ..
I may well be in touch.

Cheers
:P

valv

valv

InsanelyMac Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Operating Systems<br />Networking<br />Security

I 'd say AutoResolution No/Yes would give choice to users already!

:blink: I 'd have to know you were the man before to get any further attempts/improvements.

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

I 'd say AutoResolution No/Yes would give choice to users already!

And it does. Modules are another talk; my mistake bringing that up here.
About this being on the trunk or not, i was mainly expressing the opinion of others, who have more knowledge than me
about the patch.. and coding, for that matter.

:) I 'd have to know you were the man before to get any further attempts/improvements.

Here you got me lost.. can't decrypt the English :rolleyes: can you explain? i can make a lot of assumptions from there...

Edited by Azimutz, 19 January 2011 - 09:55 AM.

oops_ur_dead

oops_ur_dead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Tried to do this on my HD4850, and my monitor said "Input out of range" for the duration of the boot sequence (Chameleon and the boot screen). Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy