Information on VESA modes in ATI&NVIDIA bios

DieBuche

261 posts in this topic

I've looked at that page a thousand times - How did I miss that :)

D

FKA, it happens to me all the time! :) If you dive in that stuff and need any advice, just send me a yell...

FKA, it happens to me all the time! :thanks_speechbubble: If you dive in that stuff and need any advice, just send me a yell...

I started to mess around last night but ended up settling for a glass of wine and a film ..

I may well be in touch.

Cheers

:P

But, don't expect this to be included on the trunk. It doesn't work for everyone that might need it.

If/when Chameleon gets "modules" support, then we can create a module out of it and people can try/use it.

I 'd say AutoResolution No/Yes would give choice to users already!

Anyway, if you or anyone else wants to add this to your "private" Chameleon, your best shot is take it from my branch;

:blink: I 'd have to know you were the man before to get any further attempts/improvements.

I 'd say AutoResolution No/Yes would give choice to users already!

And it does. Modules are another talk; my mistake bringing that up here.

About this being on the trunk or not, i was mainly expressing the opinion of others, who have more knowledge than me

about the patch.. and coding, for that matter.

:) I 'd have to know you were the man before to get any further attempts/improvements.

Here you got me lost.. can't decrypt the English :rolleyes: can you explain? i can make a lot of assumptions from there...

Edited by Azimutz

• 1 month later...

I tried the edit on my 9800GT, and it didn't work for me.

AnalyseVBIOS found a "possible NVIDIA table":

00 04 FF 03 00 00 FF 03 17 04 9F 04 3F 05 00 03 FF 02 00 00 FF 02 02 03 08 03 25 03 00 FF 30 2A

Same as DieBusch's in the first post.

So I went ahead and changed it to:

80 07 FF 03 00 00 FF 03 17 04 9F 04 3F 05 38 04 FF 02 00 00 FF 02 02 03 08 03 25 03 00 FF 30 2A

for 1920x1080.

I have two monitors, one plugged into the plug closest to the MB (I'll call it A) and a DVI>VGA adapter plugged into slot B. If I switch them around, I get the correct native 1280x1024 on my 2nd monitor (looks bad booting up on the 2nd one thou, and this is all about esthetics, lol). If I plug the first monitor (native 1920x1080) thru DVI>VGA I get auto 1280x1024 (streched, I guess). Chameleon reads up to`1600x1200, any other combo gives me 1280x1024 max. Also, if I boot up into OS X, it's at 1440x900, but I can change it to 1920x1080 no prob.

I have 1920x1080 set in my com.apple.boot.plist.

Attached are my original and modded .roms.

Any help appreciated.

P.S.: AutoResolution doesn't work for me, I'm on an i7.

Roms.zip

can anybody comfirm that this fix works on a 5770 ?

Yep works for me aleister!

I'm using valvs chameleon branch as he's implemented this as AutoResolution. Azi's branch also works well.

slice and Merklort also have it but it's not quite working properly yet.

I've tried to add to Kabyls branch but I dont have the skills/time.

D

Yep works for me aleister!

I'm using valvs chameleon branch as he's implemented this as AutoResolution. Azi's branch also works well.

slice and Merklort also have it but it's not quite working properly yet.

I've tried to add to Kabyls branch but I dont have the skills/time.

D

I guess this chameleon option do not work on latest intel chipsets (P55/X58), i've tried to port ATIResolution to P55 but didn't worked. So i've used the method described in first post. But I wasn't able to flash the modified rom until I've found how to fix his checksum. Now i've 1920x1200 native resolution in chameleon.

BTW, HD5xxx seems to have only one occurrence for each resolution, where earlier model have 5. Apart that the informations about ATOMBIOS are right for latest ATI GFXs.

I guess this chameleon option do not work on latest intel chipsets (P55/X58), i've tried to port ATIResolution to P55 but didn't worked. So i've used the method described in first post. But I wasn't able to flash the modified rom until I've found how to fix his checksum. Now i've 1920x1200 native resolution in chameleon.

BTW, HD5xxx seems to have only one occurrence for each resolution, where earlier model have 5. Apart that the informations about ATOMBIOS are right for latest ATI GFXs.

What do you mean by "until I've found how to fix his checksum"? Does this affect anyone else (ie, could it be why mine isn't working?)?

Thanks

What do you mean by "until I've found how to fix his checksum"? Does this affect anyone else (ie, could it be why mine isn't working?)?

Thanks

If you are using method in this post then no. If you are using chameleon with AutoResolution then maybe!

But note this method is not so successful with nVidia GPUs!

D

If you are using method in this post then no. If you are using chameleon with AutoResolution then maybe!

But note this method is not so successful with nVidia GPUs!

D

I don't use AutoResolution (x58 & nVidia :) ). I'm trying to use the vBIOS flash method, but so far I've been unsuccessful.

Does this work for GTX 470 fermi? I have black borders at boot/os install.. is annoying.. i would like 1920x1080 thanks :)

That makes 2 of us with the same problem. Are you using a DVI cable?

AutoResolution only works with Intel chipsets, 800/900 series. The most recent chipset i have a working report is a GM45; 45's are still 900 series.

Yep same here on my ATI 5770.

This was a really simple edit to make. Used RBE and WinFlash in Windows.

WinFlash to extract ROM, RBE Hex dump to search 20 03 00 01 58 02 and edit to, in may case:

80 07 00 01 38 04 for 1920x1080 and save.

Reflashed with WinFlash.

Many Thanks DieBuche for the method :)

D

I ran the tool with my bios rom:

Length:62464

Found 1. possible NVIDIA Mode at 0x4167(Decimal:16743)

Empty Table at 0x4287(Decimal:17031)

Empty Table at 0x4307(Decimal:17159)

Empty Table at 0x4347(Decimal:17223)

Correct number of finds

Mod should be working

So i open Hex Fiend - > Ctrl + L > Move Selection to: 17031 > Move.

Then it shows this and i select 32 bytes: post-34410-1297203442_thumb.png

and exchange with: post-34410-1297203450_thumb.png

Is this right?

Thanks

If you edit the rom inside a standard HEX editor you need to fix the checksum after edition. Otherwise the flash program won't let you flash the rom.

According to FKA experience it seems RBE hex editor automatically does the trick. In OSX you can fix the rom's checksum using a script. I've found this tool inside Zeus resources folder :P

According to FKA experience it seems RBE hex editor automatically does the trick. In OSX you can fix the rom's checksum using a script. I've found this tool inside Zeus resources folder :P

Indeed - when I edited the rom using hexedit or hex fiend in OSX - when I came to reflash the rom (in my case using WinFlash.) the flash software states 'Not a VBIOS'! I didn't twig that that was the problem :P

Like the look of Zeus's Mac Flash tool. Might give it a go. :)

D

If you edit the rom inside a standard HEX editor you need to fix the checksum after edition. Otherwise the flash program won't let you flash the rom.

According to FKA experience it seems RBE hex editor automatically does the trick. In OSX you can fix the rom's checksum using a script. I've found this tool inside Zeus resources folder :thumbsup_anim:

Maybe that's why my edit didn't work? I downloaded Zeus, and in Resources I found "fixrom.py". Is this the script? If so, how do I use it? Could I just use Zeus to flash the edited BIOS?

Seems it is not working.. i saved the rom file and wanted to test it with chameleon rc5 699.

So i edited my boot.plist and put the rom file on /USB/Extra/10de_06cd.ROM

post-34410-1297205264_thumb.png

But at chameleon i don't have native res and when i press video info i see the old low resolutions in the list.

I am doing something wrong or is there no hope for me :thumbsup_anim:?

I re edited the thing (original and edit attached).

I flashed it with nvflash.

Then I compared it (nvflash -k) to the EEPROM, and it says:

ERROR: Size difference between file(65307) and adapter firmware (61440).

There seems to be a significant size difference... Windows agrees that the edited one is larger (it reports the same sizes). The original firmware dump is also 61440B. Maybe the EEPROM is only 61440B large, and my edited BIOS is being truncated? If so, why is the edited BIOS larger, and how can I edit it so it's the same size? Maybe booting into XP 32b and editing the BIOS directly (is this possible? NiBitor for example won't read the BIOS directly in x64, maybe in x32?).

Other results:

W/ flashed firmware:

Comparing to original dump:

ERROR: Mismatch at offset 0x00000177

W/ original firmware (reflash):

File firmware image matches adapter firmware image

Comparing to edited firmware:

ERROR: Mismatch at offset 0x00000177

I just renamed the firmwares from .rom to .txt to upload them.

Edit.txt G92BIOS.txt

I re edited the thing (original and edit attached).

I flashed it with nvflash.

Then I compared it (nvflash -k) to the EEPROM, and it says:

There seems to be a significant size difference... Windows agrees that the edited one is larger (it reports the same sizes). The original firmware dump is also 61440B. Maybe the EEPROM is only 61440B large, and my edited BIOS is being truncated? If so, why is the edited BIOS larger, and how can I edit it so it's the same size? Maybe booting into XP 32b and editing the BIOS directly (is this possible? NiBitor for example won't read the BIOS directly in x64, maybe in x32?).

Other results:

W/ flashed firmware:

W/ original firmware (reflash):

Comparing to edited firmware:

The problem is when you edit the rom file. As Trauma says the check sum is lost/changed when you re-save!

I had this problem doing the hex edit in OSX with HexEdit or Hex Fiend.

You need to find an NVidia ROM editing tool that will let you do a hex edit an will not destroy the check sum when you save your edited ROM file.

With my ATI card I was lucky to find RBE ( Radeon BIOS Editor) and had to do my Hex edit and Flash in windows using this tool and WinFlash.

I'm sure there is a similar tool available for nVidia. Search http://www.techpowerup.com/

It is a good source for such tools.

EDIT - here I think this is the latest nVidia BIOS editor http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,co...leinfo/id,3437/

But please do search for yourself I may be wrong!

D