Multibooting Systems

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I had my new system multibooting (by Fedora Core 5 in the last step, not CentOS, instead) installed completely and partially successfully according to the following wiki page;

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Multibooting

However, there is one thing strange to me which is my FC5 GRUB does not see my second partition installed with Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86-HOTiSO after I complet the above-mentioned wiki page and I could only boot my Mac OS X 10.4.6 with the DVD in tray or it will found not bootable device available.

I guess this is probably nothing to do with my rest systems, i.e. WinXP and Linux, setup and could be somehting wrong in the first step of Mac OS X installation because I also have to leave the Mac OS X DVD in tray to boot my system even before without the rest two systems installed.

All the rest of my installation runs smooth. My system runs stable under Mac OS X x86 up to this moment with this strange finding.

Thanks any you guy can answer my question.

Regards,

Alex Lee

Intel D945GNTLKR ATX LGA775 I945G DDR2 PCI-E 4PCI SATA Video Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard

Intel Pentium D 940 3.2GHZ LGA775 2X2MB 800FSB Dual Core Processor Retail Box

Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.9 8MB 11MS SATA2 NCQ RoHS Hard Drive

OCZ 2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 PC-5200

ATI RADEON X300SE - Support Memory :128MB DDR2 SDRAM (Supporting 256MB memory by

I can not even make my Mac OS X bootable even before I install any of the rest OSes. I have to leave the DVD in the tray to boot my OS X or I will get an error message not finding any bootable device. Do I miss anything in my Mac OS X installation process?

I am not quite knowledgable and clear if I need to convert my second partition into primary? If yes, how can I do it?

Thanks.

Alex

I can not even make my Mac OS X bootable even before I install any of the rest OSes. I have to leave the DVD in the tray to boot my OS X or I will get an error message not finding any bootable device. Do I miss anything in my Mac OS X installation process?

I am not quite knowledgable and clear if I need to convert my second partition into primary? If yes, how can I do it?

Thanks.

Alex

It is normal to not be able to boot without the dvd but the only way I could make mine work was to install Ubuntu with grub after the other operating systems. You do need a boot loader like grub to boot without the dvd.

I use Grub from Ubuntu as my boot loader for osx86, windows XP and Ubuntu. I assume it will be the same for Grub in Fedora. You have to manually add it to the menu then it should work fine. In Ubuntu I go to terminal, and edit the menu.lst file in the grub folder. I think you need to have root permissions to change this, at least I do in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu I type sudo gedit and then my password when asked. gedit is the text editor I use.

Add to the bottom of the menu.lst file:

title Mac OSx86

root (0,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

The (0,1) after root is the partition. In my system I just have one disk which is 0 and OSx86 on the second partition which is 1. The first partition is 0. If I had a second disk the first number in the parenthesis would be 1. Second disk second partition would be (1,1). Set the number in parenthesis correctly for your system and save.

Works for me. I hope this is clear and helps!

dastrom