Mushishi

jmacie

16 posts in this topic

You seem to enjoy telling everyone their ati cards don't or won't work in SL. Why don't you ever say why? I've asked you through email, no response, I've tried netkas, no response. What exactly stops ATI 3650 from working in sl? Why does my ati x1600 work with sl? Why do you say that only 4xx0 cards have full function in SL? What function does my x1600 NOT have in SL? Why does Apple have so many ATI kexts in SL that have nothing to do with 4xx0 cards?

Welll it might be because we are unsure why the RadeonHD 2x00 and 3xx0 cards dont work in osx86 in snow.... Normal Radeon cards can work if they arent to old but for some reson only the RadeonHD 4xx0 series work on osx86. if you really want to know why ask apple as it is there drivers... the 4x00 and 3xx0 cards work on real macs but just not on hacks. So i have no reson other then IT JUST DONT WORK so why not tell people it dont work.

i had to change my RadeonHD 3870 myself because it would not work in snow leopard.

Thank you, I'm grateful for your response. Why does my x1600 work?I know my x1600 is at least three or more years old.

The x1600 was officially offered as a video card option on 1st and 2nd gen iMacs (with Intel CPUs) and MacBook Pros; hence why they just work. The 3650 was never offered as an optioned card on any Mac, hence why it doesn't work out of the box. Same reason why a 4870 should offer better support than a 4890.

Thanks Kurumi,

I know alot of frustration goes on here, from everyone trying to get ATI to work. It's such a mess for anyone that didn't get lucky with their choice of video cards in SL. I know I've tried 3 different 4xx0s. It's too bad ATI produced so few 4xx0s and that they cost a fortune compared to other brands. I hope to get one, I wasted so much time trying to find a premium Radeon card that would work. Thanks again, jm

Thanks Kurumi,

I know alot of frustration goes on here, from everyone trying to get ATI to work. It's such a mess for anyone that didn't get lucky with their choice of video cards in SL. I know I've tried 3 different 4xx0s. It's too bad ATI produced so few 4xx0s and that they cost a fortune compared to other brands. I hope to get one, I wasted so much time trying to find a premium Radeon card that would work. Thanks again, jm

Anything that Apple had on their Macs should work with little or no hacking.

Any of the following cards should work without any issues.

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (Mobility Radeon 9600 is also capable)

ATI Radeon 9550, 9600, 9650, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, 9700 Pro, 9800 XT, and 9800 Pro

ATI Radeon X600 XT, X600 Pro, X800 XT, X850 XT, X1600, X1900 XT

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT, HD 2600 Pro, and HD 2600 XT

ATI Radeon HD 3870

ATI Radeon HD 4870

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, FX Go 5200, 6600, 6600 LE, 6800 Ultra DDL, and 6800 GT DDL

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, 7600 GT, and 7800 GT

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT & 8800 GT

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 & FX 5600

Intel GMA 900, GMA 950, or GMA X3100

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (Mobility Radeon 9600 is also capable)

ATI Radeon 9550, 9600, 9650, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, 9700 Pro, 9800 XT, and 9800 Pro Support have been removed in intel on the cards here as there have been no intel macs with them

ATI Radeon X600 XT, X600 Pro, X800 XT, X850 XT, X1600, X1900 XT

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT, HD 2600 Pro, and HD 2600 XT The cards here was in iMacs and mobile editions of them so desktop models dont work

ATI Radeon HD 3870 Dont work in hacks in snow leopard but it still works in real macs.

ATI Radeon HD 4870

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, FX Go 5200, 6600, 6600 LE, 6800 Ultra DDL, and 6800 GT DDL Again no intel drivers they was removed in 10.5.6

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, 7600 GT, and 7800 GT Should work in osx if they are PCIe version

NVIDIA GeForce series 8 and newer works. The nvidia driver is more broad then the ATI drivers are so also the mobile versions of geforce cards from series 8 work in snow leopard.

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 & FX 5600

Intel GMA 900 Might work with patched GMA950 drivers. Only board apple had with GMA 900 was the developer Transations kit and they havent supported that card official in osx at all. First intel mac minis, imacs and macbooks all came with GMA950.

GMA 950, or GMA X3100

Well i did edit a little in your list.

If i had to recommend a card then i would take the Nvidia cards as they are more easy to make work.

I'm glad Mushishi chimed in to correct your post... the thing is, as much as we gained once OSX ran on "clonable" Intel PC hardware, they still have their industry clout and ability to "tweak" various components to be Mac specific at a hardware level...

Case in point: the 3870 that I unfortunately chose back in 2008 thinking it would last a while, well bummer, Apple went and licensed a Mac specific version of it from ATI and those are the only drivers we get... best "explanation" I've seen is that the ROM is 128k in the "Mac+PC" version whereas the much more prevalent PC-only version is only 64k... now what's going on in that extra 64k??... and how/why Leopard works fine with it??... even QE/CI works great under Leo... whereas the best folks have been able to get is non QE/CI minimally functional graphics under Snow Leopard, well yeah i'd love to know myself.

so bottom line, no, you can't just say anything Apple had on their Macs will work, not just by referencing high level model numbers like 3xxx or 4xxx anyway.... sometimes it goes deeper than that... thank goodness not always, but it can.

While i'm here... what are people choosing these days with GTX2xx nVidia's available and Snow Leopard... what is the most compatible one with some "punch"? my budget is in the <$150 zone... i want some performance to do iMovie stuff but nothing top end pricey.

I'm glad Mushishi chimed in to correct your post... the thing is, as much as we gained once OSX ran on "clonable" Intel PC hardware, they still have their industry clout and ability to "tweak" various components to be Mac specific at a hardware level...

Case in point: the 3870 that I unfortunately chose back in 2008 thinking it would last a while, well bummer, Apple went and licensed a Mac specific version of it from ATI and those are the only drivers we get... best "explanation" I've seen is that the ROM is 128k in the "Mac+PC" version whereas the much more prevalent PC-only version is only 64k... now what's going on in that extra 64k??... and how/why Leopard works fine with it??... even QE/CI works great under Leo... whereas the best folks have been able to get is non QE/CI minimally functional graphics under Snow Leopard, well yeah i'd love to know myself.

so bottom line, no, you can't just say anything Apple had on their Macs will work, not just by referencing high level model numbers like 3xxx or 4xxx anyway.... sometimes it goes deeper than that... thank goodness not always, but it can.

While i'm here... what are people choosing these days with GTX2xx nVidia's available and Snow Leopard... what is the most compatible one with some "punch"? my budget is in the <$150 zone... i want some performance to do iMovie stuff but nothing top end pricey.

Good point. Forget that unlike Windows, Apple tends to kill off older hardware support faster than their PC counterparts.

Good point. Forget that unlike Windows, Apple tends to kill off older hardware support faster than their PC counterparts.

You can add ATI/AMD right after or before Apple in that phrase.

No support for anything below HD 4xxx Series cards in the ATI Stream SDK (aka OpenCL for Windows and Linux).

Add to that what Netkas said about it Why only 48×0 ATI cards support openCL.

The sad thing about OpenCL is that it normally is used to off-load non-graphics related calculations to the graphics card.

So even if you want to keep your card dedicated to actual graphics processing, another company's program might still force it on you, and possibly cause instability in your graphics app due to misbehaved or {censored} coding.

Unless you can switch off use of OpenCL system-wide or per app, who's The Boss ?

But no one knows, becuse we only have technology demos so far, and already unsupported hardware because of these demos.

Personally I do not care about OpenCL, but why also drop QE/CI on those older cards ?

I hope that the guys from ATI/AMD and Apple each bring a huge jar of vaseline when they show up behind all those with older than HD 4xxx cards.

It will at least ease the pain.

honestly im glad someone finally pointed this out to mushishi because he seems to feed off of giving people false hope/ negative info.

Mushishi it's not so much what you say its how you say it.

Show me 1 place i have giving false hope...

Yes i am blunt when i say it dont work with mobility or other intergrated cards from ati and that is because if a person ask it is because i did not take the time to search for a answer as it have been told so many times...

So if people doint take the time to search why should i take the time to write more then no it wont work.

Show me 1 place i have giving false hope...

Yes i am blunt when i say it dont work with mobility or other intergrated cards from ati and that is because if a person ask it is because i did not take the time to search for a answer as it have been told so many times...

So if people doint take the time to search why should i take the time to write more then no it wont work.

sorry i shouldn't have put hope in that sentence it should of been anti-hope

if you're worried about effort, just don't answer, that takes even less time than saying it won't work.....let them figure it out using google

BTW just curious what do the characters in your avatar mean?

sorry i shouldn't have put hope in that sentence it should of been anti-hope

if you're worried about effort, just don't answer, that takes even less time than saying it won't work.....let them figure it out using google

Look, this forum is constantly plagued by people starting "development effort" topics with zero development skills themselves, fairly soon people start asking "where's the driver?" someone finds an older kext, someone's previous plist edit, or a kext that someone thought might work, and presents it as working, and before you know it you have people claiming stuff works that doesn't. Same goes for "discussion" topics which are started by people just wanting something to work that doesn't.

Worse still you have people thinking that osx86 tools can "activate qe/ci", or that having res. change means a card is "100% working!" or that a card working in BSD/Linux has any relevance at all to it working in OS X, or that because the GMA x3100 works then the GMA 3100 must work too, etc etc...

All graphics drivers in OS X are from Apple, what people can make them work with is all we have, no-one in the history of os x on pc has ever succeeded in writing/porting a graphics card driver. The sad fact that people are forever clutching at straws & take offence at having the simple facts laid out again and again doesn't change the situation, it just muddies the waters and makes it less clear for the next person coming along.

So stop criticising someone for stating the simple facts of the matter, however much it may interfere with your dream of a working machine. Telling someone not to respond and let people use google simply opens the door for more misinformation to propagate, to the detriment of the entire scene.

Guys/Gals.

Please let it slide. No one is going to win/lose/be right/be wrong.

This is a world-wide international public forum. Different cultures. Different people. Different egos. Different ways of expressing ourselves. Many ways to misinterpret other peoples intentions. Sometimes I still do it myself.

Peace.

@Mushishi (not an attack, just pointing out some wrong info.):

You mention the HD 3870 working in real Macs earlier, and not in Hackintoshes, but the Mac version HD 3870 has mega problems in Snow Leopard on genuine Macs. For instance, second DVI not working anymore, video out not working anymore, these were working in 10.5.x. And no OpenCL, period. These people paid much more for that card than I did. Some just several months before SL was released. Maybe that's why they were granted working QE/CI. :

ATI Radeon HD 3870 problems (Mac version) at discussions.apple.com

I myself was going to buy a Zotac GTX 260 last weekend to replace my HD 3870, but they are out of stock almost everywhere. The ones that are in stock are priced at GTX 275 level, EUR 200+, or they have other connectors than 2x DVI-I.

Still not too expensive, for the cost of Mac OS X SL and a GTX 275/285, I can enjoy the best.