Installed SL, but missing components on installed volume

44 posts in this topic

You're not joking about fine tuning. So far I have it up to 10.6.2, all updates good to go, sound, network, and display is set.

Now:

remote management doesn't work. It did in 10.6. This is a big one for me. This happened when I went from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 on this box and I couldn't for the live of me figure it out. 'screen sharing' works fine but 'remote management' just doesn't do anything.

I never used it. Check /var/log/system.log for errors. Maybe something related to ethernet not being set as built-in?

I'll check it out. I might need to downgrade to 3.0 instead of the latest... whatever came with 10.6.

One more question and I think I'm set... for shutting down and restarting, it locks at mach reboot. I tried two different kexts to fix it... OpenHaltREstart and EvOreboot. They work, but they're clearly not shutting down properly. Upon restart, my Dell says 'performing automatic ide configuration'. I then need to hit f1 to continue or f2 to reconfigure the bios. Some bios settings are lost after restart. IT's a pain. Now, if I boot into an iDeneb dvd... and I go to restart... it takes a while to shut down, and it skips the performing automatic ide configuration and goes right to chameleon. Is there a 'vanilla' way to fix this?

Upon restart, my Dell says 'performing automatic ide configuration'. I then need to hit f1 to continue or f2 to reconfigure the bios. Some bios settings are lost after restart.

It's not a problem with the restart kexts, it's with Snow Leopard. To fix it you have to edit the RTC device in DSDT (change length of IO segment to 2).

http://netkas.org/?p=114

Where is my DSDT stored? I don't think I generated one.

So you have to do it. You can use DSDT_Patcher, then decompile the generated file (iasl -d dsdt.aml), edit dsdt.dsl (search for "Device (RTC" and change the length of IO segment to 0x02) and compile it again (iasl dsdt.dsl). Put the new dsdt.aml in the root of Mac partition or in the /Extra folder.

So you have to do it. You can use DSDT_Patcher, then decompile the generated file (iasl -d dsdt.aml), edit dsdt.dsl (search for "Device (RTC" and change the length of IO segment to 0x02) and compile it again (iasl dsdt.dsl). Put the new dsdt.aml in the root of Mac partition or in the /Extra folder.

Helpless, I know. But now I'm back to the waiting for root device issue. It boots up fine without the dsdt.aml file. With it, waiting for root.

Helpless, I know. But now I'm back to the waiting for root device issue. It boots up fine without the dsdt.aml file. With it, waiting for root.

Maybe the patcher is doing something that should not be done for your mobo. Instead of running DSDT_Patcher try running the getDSDT.sh script (inside Tools folder), it will only extract the DSDT without doing any modification. Then you decompile it, patch the RTC length, compile it again and copy dsdt.aml to /Extra

cd Downloads/DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e/Tools
./getDSDT.sh
./iasl -d dsdt.dat

edit dsdt.dsl

./iasl dsdt.dsl
cp dsdt.aml /Extra/

Maybe the patcher is doing something that should not be done for your mobo. Instead of running DSDT_Patcher try running the getDSDT.sh script (inside Tools folder), it will only extract the DSDT without doing any modification. Then you decompile it, patch the RTC length, compile it again and copy dsdt.aml to /Extra

cd Downloads/DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e/Tools
./getDSDT.sh
./iasl -d dsdt.dat

edit dsdt.dsl

./iasl dsdt.dsl
cp dsdt.aml /Extra/

Fixed.

This thing is now 100%.

You are a God.

Fixed.

This thing is now 100%.

You are a God.

Wait! One last thing. I think I see what might be causing this ARD issue.

Under All Messages in console, it says:

ARDAgent(507) Could not get a valid hardware ID

Remote Desktop(505) OpenConnectionToAgent - Unable to connect 2

Any idea what this hardware ID is?

Small update.

I used an SMBIOS.plist to update my serial and UUID. Now, I get this:

2/21/10 7:48:59 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[83] com.apple.RemoteDesktop.agent: Already loaded

2/21/10 7:48:59 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[83] com.apple.RemoteDesktop.agent: Already loaded

2/21/10 7:49:01 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[81] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[101]) Exited with exit code: 1

2/21/10 7:50:42 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.RFBRegisterMDNS_ScreenSharing.server[145]) Exited: Killed

2/21/10 7:50:42 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[81] (com.apple.SystemUIServer.agent[86]) Exited abnormally: Hangup

I know this has nothing to do with the topic but I really need help. Why when I press new topic button it returns an error saying "The error returned was: Sorry, you do not have permission to start a topic in this forum" If I am doing something wrong please let me know. I just want to ask a question about SL on a PC.

I checked my Vostro A90 and the last 12 chars don't match the NIC MAC address.

You are right, that's not causing the problem, the suggestion was using PlatformUUID, using the MAC address is optional, it works even with zeros.

No idea what is this hardware ID then.